Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Is that Assetto Corsa game any good? I know it's early access still but is it worth €35? I'd love a good racing game for the rift without having to mess with tridef and stuff.
    yeah as said above, game itself is excellent, the rift version has some issues, you have to disable HDR( otherwise only 1 eye works ) and lower the in game brightness( with the rift the ground is nearly white ) and the scale is a bit off, but it is good fun with the Rift and a steering wheel, corners can come a bit too fast due to the low resolution.

I was a bit reluctant to throw 35euro at it too but tbh its excellent with and without the rift in different ways, dont expect to be a supreme driver with the rift though as like i said it can be difficult to see corners at least until you get to know the tracks.

It was on sale for Christmas, i think it was around 23euro, maybe wait for another sale if youre unsure, theyre adding cars/tracks or events every week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just bare in mind it's a sim, it's much easier to drive the cars in AC than it is in most other sims I've found though (and that seems to be the general consensus), but it is difficult to get fast laps (the way it should be).

One of the hardest things for many people to grasp about the game is that supercars understeer, most people expect a supercar to be oversteering all the time which wouldn't be the case when you think about it. So it takes some getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I wasn't expecting such good responses for the game tbh but that's good to hear. I might wait until I have a steering wheel to play on then, but I'll definitely buy it based on ye'r feedback. I'm not big into racing sims but they are fun to play every now and again.

I wasn't expecting such good responses for the game tbh but that's good to hear. I might wait until I have a steering wheel to play on then, but I'll definitely buy it based on ye'r feedback. I'm not big into racing sims but they are fun to play every now and again.
    I would consider a wheel mandatory for this game, I know there are people playing it with a xbox controller and enjoying it but the force feedback is a huge part of the game and one of it's most impressive features IMO.

Just be aware it's currently on version 6.5, I don't know how many updates there will be before the official release but expect the price to go up when that happens (rFactor 2 is up on €60 I think to give you some idea of the cost of a good sim), there's also free DLC content for the early adopters that you may have to pay for separately after release, not sure on that part though. The content is Spa and two Mercedes cars, so it's pretty desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I have a feeling mine won't be arriving today, still processing and to be shipped in the next batch. Oh what a cruel world we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I think they ship on Thursdays, I ordered mine on Sunday and shipped on Thursday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Saw this on Reddit this morning
    Certain components used in the Oculus Rift developer kit are no longer being manufactured, meaning they are no longer available to us for production. As a result, we don't have the necessary materials to produce additional kits. We still have some stock available, but we're quickly running out. We are looking into alternate sources for the needed components, and we don't yet have a timeline for when additional units will be available. We'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
    As we sell out of inventory in each region we plan to suspend sales in that region until we are able to deliver new orders. Currently we are only selling and shipping to the following countries:
    United States
    Canada
    Countries in the European Union
    Japan
    South Korea
    Australia
    Switzerland
    Norway
    We never expected to sell so many development kits and VR only made this much progress with the community's support and enthusiasm. Even though we never wanted to sell out, it's a good problem to have -- Thank you!

Could be just what's needed to get them shipping the next version :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1yee6i/official_oculus_shipping_status_update_feb_19th/

The virtual reality farmers must be on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Certain components used in the Oculus Rift developer kit are no longer being manufactured...

Everyone sits there and envisages shortages of fancy lenses and complex circuit boards......and it's probably the bloody headband! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone playing a good flight sim that lets you look around the cockpit etc? Really looking forward to doing that, same for that space sim that got massively funded on KS a while ago, the one with the realistic cockpits, Star Citizen I think it was called. Anyone play The Red Baron games back in the day? One of those would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

the likes of the DCS games have be particularly excited alright :) they work very well with the head tracking stuff already (trackIR)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone playing a good flight sim that lets you look around the cockpit etc?

The upcoming sturmovik game looks like it will be awesome and its going to have native oculus support, Business model sucks though.

I didnt play red baron but i did play dawn patrol, you might be interested in this http://riseofflight.com/en again the sucky business model but there are videos of people playing this with the oculus rift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Should I buy this Developers Kit or wait until the commercial version?!

Don't particularly want to fork out 300 quid for something that hasn't been put through it's paces and tested thoroughly. :(

I was on the fence too about it, but I couldn't take it anymore. Haven't heard one negative review about it yet. You better decide quick though because they won't be making any for a while it seems.

Anyone I've showed it to has been blown away and I still have a que of people wanting to try it out. Screen door effect is a bit off putting at first but you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

so how many of you guys have reduced the motion blur by overclocking the rift display?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

As owner's as of the Dev Kit, can you tell if it is possible for Oculus to make the Rift as compact as it looks in the rendering?

OculusRift1.jpg

I know its just a rendering, but to me it looks about at least half the width of the dev kit or the Crystal Cove.

Would it take entirely different components to make it more compact?

I know the size and look isn't an issue when it's on, but it sure going to look prehistoric compared to what comes out down the line! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Looks like production of the Rift is going to be halted for a bit:

http://kotaku.com/oculus-rift-runs-out-of-materials-production-halted-1529299171?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

3wayswitch wrote: »

http://kotaku.com/oculus-rift-runs-out-of-materials-production-halted-1529299171?

JohnK mentioned that in the thread 3 days ago when it hit reddit.

Looks like kotaku are a few days behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

3wayswitch wrote: »

It would be a good time for them to switch production over to the consumer version.

macker33 wrote: »
    It would be a good time for them to switch production over to the consumer version.
    Indeed, this is the only course of action that makes sense. Set the VR monkeys to work.

waveform wrote: »
    As owner's as of the Dev Kit, can you tell if it is possible for Oculus to make the Rift as compact as it looks in the rendering?

OculusRift1.jpg

I know its just a rendering, but to me it looks about at least half the width of the dev kit or the Crystal Cove.

Would it take entirely different components to make it more compact?

I know the size and look isn't an issue when it's on, but it sure going to look prehistoric compared to what comes out down the line! :D
    They said they'll have something like that for the consumer version. DK1 is so big because of the 7" screen, Crystal Cove is so big because they said they need to be able to take it apart easily and rebuild it, Palmer himself said that theres loads of wasted space in Crystal Cove for that purpose alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone seen any word on the retail release besides "Maybe 2014"?

That rendering is perfection by the way.

Ànyone help me get Portal 2 working? When I put the fov commands into the dev console nothing happens. Really annoying me.

Ànyone help me get Portal 2 working? When I put the fov commands into the dev console nothing happens. Really annoying me.
    it doesnt work out of the box, Portal 1 used to work but i think they broke it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Anyone who saw the earlier Zelda vid I posted and wished it was Ocarina instead, well...

http://kotaku.com/ocarina-of-time-in-first-person-on-the-oculus-rift-1531722362

I just bought the vorpx drivers. What am I missing here? I tried Dear Esther and it's like I'm looking into a small round hole. Surely this can't be all there is. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has gotten Strike Suit Zero working normally let me know how. Everything is way too big.

http://www.virtualreality.io/download/ this is handy for games, Sightline is mental!

http://redofpaw.wordpress.com/vr-projects/ is the best I've seen visually in the rift yet. spirited away!

UmpOi.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sightline is one of my favourite demos, it's the one that gets the best reaction out of people beyond scaring them from rollercoasters or horror games.

The bit at the beginning where you're going up the elevator and you see the blue sky and birds for the first time impresses everyone I've shown, that exact moment leaves them with their mouth open :pac:

Also, VRCinema3D is savage, I hadn't realised it had progressed so much since I last used it.

Advertisement