Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

bought a damn wireless yoke for the 360 controller and cant get it to work, fecked up all my drivers too..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

Anyone in cork maybe willing to demo there oculus? I'm two minds about getting a DK1 second hand or just waiting for the consumer release. If the demo was good enough I'd just get one and start some development!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what gpu's are ye guys using with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Radeon HD 7870 for me and not had any problems with bad fps so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

780ti here

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Would it work with Dual Nvidia 560s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

At the current resolution of the rift you won't have any problems. Even on the planned commercial version it should work fine with that spec

I dusted mine off and gave some of the new demos a go. "Dumpy Going Elephants" was a bit different :) The new firmware seemed to help too as I hadnt tried it in months but was able to stay in the rift for over an hour.

The next step is to try Arma 3 using one of those third party drivers

i wouldnt recommend it with dual card solutions, crossfire/SLI adds additional latency( synch between both cards to show the frames ), i ditched my 2x6970's for that reason alone and went for the 780Ti( simply because it was the best single card at the time )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Blurring the lines between reality and virtuality....

http://gizmodo.com/38-architectural-renderings-that-look-too-real-to-be-fa-1535917613

Imagine viewing these in a rift and exploring them.

Obviously it only applies to 3DS Max and V-Ray and not what's photoshopped.

Will only be a matter of time before we reach this level of realism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Closest thing for now is Google Street View Rift mod :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Closest thing for now is Google Street View Rift mod :pac:

The first thing people will do, look at their own house on it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

New Rift was on sky news earlier, didnt look like it had a camera, same shape as CC with no LED's

The camera is not meant to be mounted on the rift I think. The camera points at you and I think it uses those white spots on the mask to help determine your head position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The camera is not meant to be mounted on the rift I think. The camera points at you and I think it uses those white spots on the mask to help determine your head position

There was a camera mounted on the Valve prototype though.

Yeah the valve thing was a different beast altogether. They had symbols on the walls that the camera used to orient you within the virtual world so I guess it allowed you to crouch and walk around without a controller. Valve are not creating their own consumer VR, just experimenting and researching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lots of talk about Sonys efforts in this area all of a sudden:

http://www.stack.com/2014/03/06/ps4-vr-headset/

It'll have to be very good to get me to go back to Playstation gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

dYpL2df.jpg

Thats an absolute fail by Sky imo!

And yeah, apostrophe catastrophe in the pic i made, whatever!

• Advertisement

I wonder will the HD be released before the CC

Klarn wrote:
    Exciting to follow! Can you talk tech specs so far?

Will this work with prototype dev kits, or targeted even beyond Crystal Cove? Noticed you mentioned 1080p...

I cannot say anything beyond what Oculus have already said themselves, but we're working very closely with them and getting hardware from them every now and then.

The game is targeted at the consumer version of the Rift (beyond Crystal Cove), which is.. very different to the original DK1 devkit.

The Rift HD kit and then the Crystal Cove prototypes were both big leaps forward in terms of tech, and there are more changes coming before the consumer version.

from here https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=316193

safetyboy wrote: »
    here you go, look no LED
    its the old HD version they were showing last year, strange that they didnt have the CC version, unless its one of the rifts that theyre going to be using at a show in London soon( similar to CES where EVE was just using the HD prototypes )
    I wonder will the HD be released before the CC
    No, definately not, DK2 will have all of the features of the CK, maybe the res wont be as high but it will definately have positional tracking like CC simply so devs can prepare their games to support the positional tracking, Palmer himself basically said that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I love how the man was basically stunned into silence by the rift

Might stick my DK on adverts and wait, damn its hard to tell!

Might stick my DK on adverts and wait, damn its hard to tell!
    Might be better off keeping it as the prices will go up due to the component shortages. I doubt DK2 will be out in the next 4 months, probably September is a reasonable time to expect it but who knows except oculus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

bought a damn wireless yoke for the 360 controller and cant get it to work, fecked up all my drivers too..

Did you have Motioninjoy installed previously? I had to completely remove that and reinstall the MS drivers a few times to get mine working.

Worked like a charm eventually though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Worked like a charm
    eventually

Not sure you know what "worked like a charm" actually means. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mrdata.

Anyone know if euro truck sim2 Demo supports the rift? Got the lend of a rift but cant seem to get the demo working. Anyone got any other good recommended demos? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Get Vireio Perception (Drivers) and Skyrim. Still the best experience for me so far. Shufflepuck Cafe Demo works with the rift as far as I know, otherwise http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/apps/ has a list of everything you'll need.

Advertisement