Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Don't suppose anybody got a 4 month Unity Pro trial lying around spare? Got my hands on the Occulus but not Unity Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

neilk32 wrote: »
    Don't suppose anybody got a 4 month Unity Pro trial lying around spare? Got my hands on the Occulus but not Unity Pro.

I never used mine, i'll look for it now and PM you shortly.

EDIT: PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Rossin wrote: »
    Sony would be real competition too, they could come up with a screen easily enough seeing as they could just have it made to whatever spec they want and make it in one of their factories.

I'd imagine they'll want to make it for the Playstation though, being focused on promoting playstation sales could hurt them.

I hope the rift wins out in the end, I rather see a company like that succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

competition is good though, put the pressure on to get a move on and keep the price down etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

There will be 4 playable demos later today at the GDC including EVE Valkyrie and a demo build of Thief specifically designed for V.R.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/heres-sonys-vr-demos-at-gdc-2014/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In terms of first-party Sony studios working on content for Morpheus, the Sony trio on-stage stayed mum
    In other words The last Guardian is being delayed again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hopefully Oculus will show an updated Crystal Cove and announce when DK2 will be available today :)

Not sure when the time is but for last nights Sony reveal The Verge did a very good live blog( no video cams were allowed apparently ), hopefully Oculus will allow video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm glad they mentioned spatial audio. A problem with some of the rift demos is that the audio follows your ears rather than staying in place as you turn away from the sounds. I'm sure that this will be a major factor in making VR seem real so it's good to see competition in this area. Garry from garry's mod mentioned how the spatial audio in Valve's experimental prototype made a huge difference to the perceived realism.

It's interesting that Eve:Valkyrie is being demoed, is this being demoed on the prototype shown in the pics or something else I wonder? The protoype looks a little bit too stylish to be functional but kudos to them if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's interesting that Eve:Valkyrie is being demoed, is this being demoed on the prototype shown in the pics or something else I wonder? The protoype looks a little bit too stylish to be functional but kudos to them if it is.
    That's a critique common to prototypes though isn't it? With the final product looking very different to the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I think it will be on this prototype. They were pretty explicit that this is their actual development kit prototype right now and talked a little bit about the design and the goals for comfort with it. Guess we'll find out later today when the show opens though.

I just think it looks too good to be a working prototype and am guessing that the one they use in their demo booths does not look the same. I could be wrong.

Oculus event is 18:00 GMT

Sony are sticking to their own console then? I guess Oculus are free to take everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

There's word that there'll be some type of augmented reality type thing coming from MS.

www.gamespot.com/articles/another-report-says-xbox-also-getting-virtual-reality-augmented-reality-device/1100-6418363/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There's word that there'll be some type of augmented reality type thing coming from MS.

www.gamespot.com/articles/another-report-says-xbox-also-getting-virtual-reality-augmented-reality-device/1100-6418363/

Microsoft have been operating in VR mode for a good while alright :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

AR is nice and all, but I think it's more suited to something like Google Glass where it's a wearable technology that you take with you out of the house. From a living room gaming perspective I think it's only really good for maybe Kinect style games.

If MS are planning an Xbox related device I hope it's going to be a full VR headset that can possibly do AR as well.

Wohoo, the Devkit 2 order page is up( order wont work yet ), but it has a pic of the dev kit 2 also
    https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Official Dev Kit 2 announcement video( i havnt watched this yet as im at work so jut passing on the info ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXrjTh7vHc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So much for Sony's thunder.

The question now becomes to buy this or wait for the consumer version...

Well they say they plan on Shipping the DK2 in July, so even if you get in straight away expect it to be August before you get it, but expect non first time click to buy orders to be happening around September. It will be early next year before CK will be released at the earliest.

wait for the proper one !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

wait for the proper one !

Shush you! :p

The extra $150 for taxes and shipping is a bit off-putting, comes to nearly $500 which is about E350.

I just ordered mine :)

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I just ordered mine :)

Have you got the MK1?

urbanledge wrote: »
    Have you got the MK1?
    i do indeed, have my DK1 from the Kickstarter, mainly interested in DK2 for the higher rez screen and low persistence for Euro Truck Sim 2.
    The reason i ordered ASAP was because im not going through that hell again of waiting 9 months from the Kickstarter and others having it 2 and a half months before me lol

I'm very tempted. It looks like it's going to be at least a year probably two before we see the consumer version. I only really want it for sim racing, so if I hear the resolution is high enough for good sim racing I may buy.

I suppose once the consumer version comes out these won't be worth anything 2nd hand?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i do indeed, have my DK1 from the Kickstarter, mainly interested in DK2 for the higher rez screen and low persistence for Euro Truck Sim 2.
    The reason i ordered ASAP was because im not going through that hell again of waiting 9 months from the Kickstarter and others having it 2 and a half months before me lol
    lol, I hear you. The DK1 does the job for me and I think it's still a great experience. What is your order number? You must be one of the first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm going to wait it out for the consumer version, I'm still happy with my lowly DK1 and games are just properly getting to grips with it now.

Though, I'll probably crack and order it when it's too insane of a wait to even get one.

Advertisement