Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lol, I hear you. The DK1 does the job for me and I think it's still a great experience. What is your order number? You must be one of the first?
    ahh yeah, i still love the DK1 dont get me wrong, but functionally the DK2 has everything you need and the higher rez( although its probably a pentile panel so it wont be that much greater than DK1, but next to no motion blur is a big plus ) should make sims better.

As for the order number, its impossible to tell, each country is now getting a prefix on the order number so its not like before where there was just a global order number, mine is DP-0195XXX but UK orders are e.g. IM-3XXXXXXXX and its different for France, Netherlands etc.
    I placed my order the minute the web page became available but it took me 30 mins to get the order through( website basically crashed )
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm going to wait it out for the consumer version, I'm still happy with my lowly DK1 and games are just properly getting to grips with it now.

Though, I'll probably crack and order it when it's too insane of a wait to even get one.
    lol, you know what will happen, as soon as people get their DK2's the hype train will go into overdrive and there'll be a big backlog of orders

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is the DK2 any higher res than the original? Says 960x1080 per eye, but i can't see what the original was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

original was 1280x800 so 640x800 per eye (although due to the required warping of the image, the actual pixel count was a lot lower)

yeah it is higher rez, but again if its a 1080p pentile display it wont be as good a resolution as a regular 1080p LED( due to the pixels being in a diamond formation compared to a regular matrix of LED )

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm very tempted. It looks like it's going to be at least a year probably two before we see the consumer version. I only really want it for sim racing, so if I hear the resolution is high enough for good sim racing I may buy.

I suppose once the consumer version comes out these won't be worth anything 2nd hand?
    the higher rez and next to no blur is needed for sims. They wont be worth anything 2nd hand when the consumer version comes out but if you do order today you'll get a lot more than what you paid for it when you receive it due to order backlog( same as DK1 being sold for double the price ).

Depends how it pans out, might be worth a few bob retro in 10 years time.

Apparently heres a good video on DK2( i cant wait it as im at work ), but should give an idea if you should/should not order one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3Wli7s6KY

OCULUS EVENT STARTS NOW, Liveblog - http://www.roadtovr.com/gdc-2014-oculus-session-working-latest-oculus-rift-hardware-software-live-blog-11am-pst/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

If you pay with CC, does it only charge $50 with the rest taken on shipment? Anyone ordered with CC confirm for me!

If you pay with CC, does it only charge $50 with the rest taken on shipment? Anyone ordered with CC confirm for me!
    thats what the FAQ says, paypal will take full amount, CC will only take $50 but will verify that the funds for the rest exist then the rest is taken when it ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

My order has been declined numerous times now.....I give up. Sick. Been waiting for this!

My order has been declined numerous times now.....I give up. Sick. Been waiting for this!
    That's what was happening to me, always declined, out of the blue it worked, moved to a thank you page which never showed anything due to server load but I got the Order confirmation email a few seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I've just put my NCase M1 on adverts to try and part fund this! I'll miss it, but doubt i would have got around to putting a build in it in the next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ordered. :)

So glad I held off on getting the DK1. Was tempted so many times, as recently as two weeks ago I was about to pull the trigger. But I just knew if I got it, the higher res version would be just around the corner....and I was right. :P

lmimmfn wrote: »
    As for the order number, its impossible to tell, each country is now getting a prefix on the order number so its not like before where there was just a global order number, mine is DP-0195XXX but UK orders are e.g. IM-3XXXXXXXX and its different for France, Netherlands etc.
    I placed my order the minute the web page became available but it took me 30 mins to get the order through( website basically crashed )

My Order begins with a CO- prefix. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Kirby wrote: »
    My Order begins with a CO- prefix. Interesting.

Mine is GN-xxxxxxx, so don't think its a per country thing

Got some extra tax back, so i think i'll order this next week. Think it'll sell out, or will there be plenty for sale?

Kiith wrote: »
    Got some extra tax back, so i think i'll order this next week. Think it'll sell out, or will there be plenty for sale?

It will sell out. Most of the addicts who bought the first one will jump on this....and then I wouldn't discount the sheer amount of people like me who were waiting for a slightly higher resolution version.

It will sell like hotcakes or gangbusters or basically something that sells really well! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

JO-XXXXXX here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm still very happy with DK1 so I'm gonna hold out for the consumer version. Tempted though.

If it's still available next week, i'll order it. Don't mind waiting a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

very tempted by this new version. I wonder will it be possible to retrofit the new screen to a DK1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

ondafly wrote: »
    very tempted by this new version. I wonder will it be possible to retrofit the new screen to a DK1

There is a chap on ebay doing this for the last few months I think, or he has the screen and gives instructions. It was pretty expensive last I looked but I'd say it should come down in price now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Really liking the Italo tracks and eye candy on your channel!

Y u no have moar views though?

Are you using any tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JO-XXXXXX here

that's a bit pants ;)

No, the new screen is just over 5 inches whereas the DK1 is 7 inches and the optics are also different. Besides you would miss the positional tracking and there are 3 times as many gyroscopes/accelerometers etc in the DK2 for tracking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Took a year to sell out the first dev kit, I can't imagine this one will be gone in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

are you all developers that want to make software for this device or are you developers who just want to play with it? Or do you just want to play with it? Like can you do anything with it if you're not a developer?

im confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

AK-XXXXXX Here. :p Now the waiting game for the next few months.

Double post darn phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Rossin wrote: »
    are you all developers that want to make software for this device or are you developers who just want to play with it? Or do you just want to play with it? Like can you do anything with it if you're not a developer?

No need to be confused.

You do not have to be a "developer" to play with the device.

Iracing works great as well as plenty of other games/programs too

• Advertisement

Iracing works great as well as plenty of other games/programs too

Advertisement