Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Rossin wrote: »
    are you all developers that want to make software for this device or are you developers who just want to play with it? Or do you just want to play with it? Like can you do anything with it if you're not a developer?

im confused :)

Iracing works great as well as plenty of other games/programs too

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

are you all developers that want to make software for this device or are you developers who just want to play with it? Or do you just want to play with it? Like can you do anything with it if you're not a developer?

Iracing works great as well as plenty of other games/programs too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Quadruple post! New record!

@Rossin
    Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were thinking you had to be a developer to buy the Rift.

There is a lot of playable demos created especially for the Rift, and some existing games have been modified to be played with it.

A good way of seeing what demos are on offer, is to use the "Search This Thread" function.

Click advanced search, and enter Duggy747 as the users posts you want to search.

He has posted a lot of demo videos, it will save you having to scroll through almost 700 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Or do you just want to play with it?
    This. It's fully functioning device as far as I'm aware, it's just not all that user friendly at this stage. While the DK is intended to let the people who will make software for this system it wouldn't surprise me if 50% of the people who bought it just bought it as a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

both, but lots of full games already work with and which have native support( or just need a small mod ) and are very good including:
    Half Life 2 & Episode 1( dont know about episode 2 yet )
    Euro Truck Simulator
    Assetto Corsa
    IRacing
    Project Cars
    War Thunder
    Strike Suit Zero
    AntiChamber
    Doom3 BFG with the mod( which involves downloading an exe and running it :) )
    Quake 2( with the mod )
    Quake 3
    Surgeon Simulator 2013
    Hawken

Some of the games have slight issues and have regular updates to improve the rift support.
    Theres a list of games here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

waveform wrote: »
    No need to be confused.

You do not have to be a "developer" to play with the device.
    No, you don't, but Luckey has stated he wants people who order DK2 to be developers. It was my first time doing so, wanting to see what was going on in discussions there, so I checked out the official forums and saw this.

To get to the specific point its around 3:35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

Really liking the Italo tracks and eye candy on your channel!

Y u no have moar views though?

Are you using any tags?

cheers - pure laziness on my behalf, there is tags, but they must not be working :o

Pushtrak wrote: »
    No, you don't, but Luckey has stated he wants people who order DK2 to be developers. It was my first time doing so, wanting to see what was going on in discussions there, so I checked out the official forums and saw this.

To get to the specific point its around 3:35.

He's not helping at all. :( He makes it sound like the consumer version is just around the corner, if they could say they're aiming for a release later this year I'd hold off. If it's later in 2015 it almost seems worth blowing the money on the DK2.

ScumLord wrote: »
    He's not helping at all. :( He makes it sound like the consumer version is just around the corner, if they could say they're aiming for a release later this year I'd hold off. If it's later in 2015 it almost seems worth blowing the money on the DK2.
    Honestly, in a general sense, you'd rather as many developers were getting them as possible. More developers = more games. Though, any given person here not ordering doesn't translate to a developer getting one. It translates to *someone* else getting one. I realise I'm not helping, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so confused now!!! :(

Honestly, in a general sense, you'd rather as many developers were getting them as possible. More developers = more games. Though, any given person here not ordering doesn't translate to a developer getting one. It translates to *someone* else getting one. I realise I'm not helping, sorry.
    I'm sure most big developers were simply given the kit, then others got prioritised and any other developer that really wanted one I'm sure could get their name to the top of the cue.

Being told not to buy it just makes me want it more. :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    Being told not to buy it just makes me want it more. :D
    Heh, yeah I can imagine. Honestly, I'd have gotten DK 1 other than uncertainties in how well it'd work for me with regard to motion sickness and being blind in one eye. Seriously, I close one eye, I can read all the stuff on the screen, close the other, I can't make out there are words. In terms of not buying the DK2, there's the above, and being broke doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Sold my itx case, so ordered the OR Dev Kit!

Prefix GO on the order for anybody interested

Heh, yeah I can imagine. Honestly, I'd have gotten DK 1 other than uncertainties in how well it'd work for me with regard to motion sickness and being blind in one eye. Seriously, I close one eye, I can read all the stuff on the screen, close the other, I can't make out there are words. In terms of not buying the DK2, there's the above, and being broke doesn't help.
    im stereo blind, so i dont see the 3d( unless i really strain my eyes but that will give me a headache ), its still brilliant though.
    Motion blur/sickness, you get used to it( shouldnt really be an issue with DK2 ), actually apparently it has less of an affect if you cant see stereo. When i got my rift last May i spent 5 hours playing Half Life 2 after maybe a hour of getting it and trying a few 5-10 minute demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm the same. I have alternating exotropia. My version is pretty rare....basically I usually only see through one eye at a time. I can control which eye, or I can choose to see through both like a "normal" person. I can still see in 3d, but I have to concentrate to do so.

Appears a lot of us have eye issues...and don't care. :p

lmimmfn wrote: »
    im stereo blind, so i dont see the 3d( unless i really strain my eyes but that will give me a headache ), its still brilliant though.
    Motion blur/sickness, you get used to it( shouldnt really be an issue with DK2 ), actually apparently it has less of an affect if you cant see stereo. When i got my rift last May i spent 5 hours playing Half Life 2 after maybe a hour of getting it and trying a few 5-10 minute demos.

How did you discover you were stereoblind?
    I'm guessing maybe at the cinema?

I'm surprised you still like the Rift considering you can't see the 3D effect. Does it still feel like you're in the game regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I ordered one because last year's ordeal was the closest thing to waiting for christmas when I was a kid. I got a BK-41xxxx order number. Speaking of order numbers, the game of trying to work out when you were going to get your rift based on your location and order number was fun and I hope someone cracks the algorithm they used to generate the numbers this time round.

remember this?

Edit: Found the new one

How did you discover you were stereoblind?
    I'm guessing maybe at the cinema?

I'm surprised you still like the Rift considering you can't see the 3D effect. Does it still feel like you're in the game regardless?

Feel like an idiot now!

Not knowing anything about stereoblindness I assumed it was the inability to see 3D films and games in 3D.

I didn't know that it extended to everything you see in real life also.

My bad.

Feel like an idiot now!

Not knowing anything about stereoblindness I assumed it was the inability to see 3D films and games in 3D.

I didn't know that it extended to everything you see in real life also.

My bad.
    lol, no worries, but yeah, everything for me is 2D anyway so the rift is as real as it is for those that can see 3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

lmimmfn wrote: »
    lol, no worries, but yeah, everything for me is 2D anyway so the rift is as real as it is for those that can see 3D

Do you not have any proper depth perception then? Are you allowed to drive?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do you not have any proper depth perception then? Are you allowed to drive?
    of course i do, your brain compensates, its just not as accurate as with stereoscopic vision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'm surprised you still like the Rift considering you can't see the 3D effect

The immersion due to the headset and head tracking is far more important than the 3D effect IMO.

Cool oculus rift simulator, you can change the resolutions and turn on and off persistence. 1080 looks ok in it. Persistence makes the biggest difference.

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Oculus has just been acquired by Facebook :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The rollercoaster ends here so :( So disappointed in the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

****s sake, I get me hands on one and this happens the next day

why did gaben not save us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Oculus has just been acquired by Facebook :(

Why can't I down vote this :(

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Crash and burn :(

Advertisement