Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do Kickstarter people get a share of the 2 billion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dreamers75 wrote: »

my non legal opinion would be: do they f**k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

It may not be such a bad thing afterall provided Oculus do work independently like he is aying.

With this backing the Rift could be come something far bigger and greater than we ever imagined.

Let time time tell.

It's a really hard one to tell. It could be a great investment for the Oculus Rift and it's fantastic PR for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was starting to develop interest in Oculus Rift, but there's no f*cking way I'm supporting anything connected to Facebook. This is why we can't have nice things :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It's a really hard one to tell. It could be a great investment for the Oculus Rift and it's fantastic PR for them.

Everywhere I've read people are extremely disappointed with the move. Great PR for Facebook maybe, but not for Oculus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Onto Morpheus then...

waveform wrote: »

With this backing the Rift could be come something far bigger and greater than we ever imagined.

Let time time tell.

9sld3Lb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

dreamers75 wrote: »

the terms of kickstarter are that backers are entitled to no monetary reimbursement. they're not investing, they're purchasing the rewards for a given donation rank

Everywhere I've read people are extremely disappointed with the move. Great PR for Facebook maybe, but not for Oculus.

Why are they so disappointed though? It doesn't make much sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

There's a conference call on at the moment and hes already mentioned building facebook advertising into it. Didn't think i could hate facebook anymore than i already did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Facebook isn't a respected company and will likely have a different vision for Oculus than the original one. They need to make their investment back so they'll be pushing for the mainstream market with stuff that'll appeal to them rather than to actual gamers.

Notch canned plans for an Oculus Rift version of Minecraft once he heard the news. Probably won't be the only developer to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

So disappointed.
    Guess were going from Oculus Quake and Half-life to Oculus Farmville and Candy Crush? With lots of ads to boot. :(

And Carmack now works for Facebook :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I looked to see if it was already April 1st, can't believe this move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Facebook want to turn it into a google glass alternative. It seems bonkers to expect people to go around wearing a full face VR headset to connect to their mobile so I'm guessing the gaming side of the rift is going to be pushed into the background.

The deal pushes Facebook into the wearable-technology market where it will compete with Google Inc.’s Glass, which are spectacles that have smartphone capabilities. The Oculus product could become the basis of a communications platform, letting people watch games courtside, consult with doctors or take online courses, Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg said in a post on Facebook.

Is there anything Facebook won't ruin? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Initial reaction was "The fùck??"

I always expected Oculus to be bought or at least partnered with a big company, just didn't expect Facebook. I don't think the community would have had such an adverse reaction if it were a different company, FB has a pretty shìt reputation for many, many reasons.

I'm just going to stay skeptical and not write anything off but I'm not exactly delighted by the news.

Cash injection should help speed things up in getting the consumer version out there and better hardware but at what cost. FB want to hop on the VR gravy train before it takes off by getting the best known company at the moment, they more than likely have their own plans for the company down the line.

Oculus's "The little engine that could" image is gone now, for better or worse will have to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

It's a very strange decision. I can't see them doing anything with it other than 3D Farmville variants. I always figured fb would partner up and allow gamers to socialize via fb or whatever mid-game, but buying it outright is a weird one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

:(

I can't see them doing anything with it other than 3D Farmville variants.
    I guess they expect people to lock themselves off into a little VR world on the commute to work. It just doesn't make sense to me as a mobile device, I wouldn't block off the real world on public transport, I'd expect to get robbed blind and/or miss my stop. Do they expect people to carry around a VR headset? The only way it would work as a mobile device is if it's google glass sized, but that makes all the head tracking, display refresh rate and everything else we've been following pointless.

I hope it just speeds up the gaming headset and that it's not completely hijacked into a redundant product that no one will use.

In fairness, the mobile market was mentioned by Oculus and Carmack a few times last year but as something they would eventually tackle down the line, this will probably speed things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Valve must feel a bit fùcked over helping them with the likes of low persistence.

Were'nt valve still working on their own VR set up while helping OR? It was demoed to some journos at GDC ( i think) who said it was way ahead of the rift but valve didnt think they would sell it commercially.

Maybe this will change their minds

Save us Lord GabeN :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thargor wrote: »

Here's an interesting twitter reply to Minecraft not happening from Razor CEO that has went a little under the radar with all that has been going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is there anything Facebook won't ruin? :mad:

They've even ruined Facebook.
    Oculus Rift will be the worlds best ad simulator :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Time for a new kickstarter?

Bambi wrote: »
    Were'nt valve still working on their own VR set up while helping OR? It was demoed to some journos at GDC ( i think) who said it was way ahead of the rift but valve didnt think they would sell it commercially.

Maybe this will change their minds

Save us Lord GabeN :(

I think it was mentioned that it had an insane price tag if it were to be released, hence why it was said to be so superior, so that model isn't a feasible consumer product at the moment.

I'd say the thing with Valve & Oculus was a "help us and we'll help you" type scenario with Valve getting a better grip on VR in their R&D for the future without having to spend a lot of money.

What leaves a sour taste in the mouth is all this time with Oculus constantly on about being an independent company with a clear vision for VR and then for it to be an acquisition to a social media giant. From 3 weeks ago:

Link
    "We want to do things our way. There are certainly people who are interested... but we have a vision for our consumer product and we know that we're going to be able to pull it off. We don't want to be assimilated into someone who's going to have us working on their own product or their own vision of VR - we want to be able to deliver our own vision of what VR is,"

It probably also puts indie developers in a situation where they loved developing for the Rift but utterly despise Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Damn you, Bookface!

I'd really rather not have anything to do with Facebook. I imagine this pretty much guarantees using the Rift will require a Facebook account. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just lost all interest in the rift with this. Facebook are not a gaming company, and I can see gaming no longer being the priority anymore.

Hopefully the Sony VR headset will be decent.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Hopefully the Sony VR headset will be decent.
    It's only for playstation though from the looks of things, by restricting it to one console they're only going to pick up a small amount of that particular consoles customers, that will make it a niche product that could easily fail.

The rift had the potential to be available across the board. They had mentioned making it compatible with android phones but that might go out the window too if Facebook considers itself in competition with google.

Advertisement