Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Okay I don't want to spam this thread with reddit posts but you gotta love the anger behind this one. Right on the money.
    It's ****ing disgusting to see this guy, who a week ago was talking to the community in a down to earth, practical, honest way, now talking in this bull**** vague corporate language.
    There are no laws against what you ****ing did Lukey, but it was unethical as **** you scum. You knew, you ****ing KNEW that no gamer was going to react positively to this. You sold out, plain and simple. Now this would be fine if you were any other traditionally created company, but you came from the ****ing ground thanks to the gamers that FOUNDED your ****ing project. You didn't make any legal commitment to put their interests first, because crowd-founding is new and there are no laws applicable. However, you sure as hell made an ethical one, and you broke it completely. What percentage of the people that backed you support do you think support the buyout? You know its a negligible one, you know you ****ed with the trust that this people put on you, and you know you'll now be forced to put the interests of investors, corporate protocol and board members before the ones of the gamers who got you to this ****ing position.
    Now let me level with you, I know its easy as **** to say I would have done any different from the high-horse I'm in. Maybe I would have sold out just as you did. I would maybe speak with the same bull**** PR language you are talking in now. But internally, I'd ****ing know how much of a ****ing greedy **** I'd been. And I ****ing hope you know so too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

At the risk of sounding slightly sensible, would it not just be easier to see what they're planning rather than declaring that the sky is falling and that these are the end times?

I don't trust Facebook. I think everyone should question everything they do at all times. I closed my account with them 4 years ago, but that doesn't change the fact that they're here to stay, so lets accept that unpleasant fact and move on.

If they're simply throwing a pile of money at Oculus VR and saying "we own you now but you keep running yourselves like you have been" as has been suggested the arrangement is, then the worst outcome is that the additional resources the money will bring about will be focussed on making a product with broader appeal and not just something for gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

safetyboy wrote: »
    https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7210

no happy pups over here either. I dunno whats gonna happen. I wont be upgrading my DK1 thats for sure.

I don't either ya PUP!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shiminay wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding slightly sensible, would it not just be easier to see what they're planning rather than declaring that the sky is falling and that these are the end times?
    Bah, you're no fun. A better reply to this thread would be saying something like "my F88king hair literally F88king burst into f88king flames after my ear's f88king blew up killing my f88king children when I heard about this facef88k sellout, you c88t"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Pretty apt GIF to sum things up;

478.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Shiminay wrote: »

I don't trust Facebook. I think everyone should question everything they do at all times. I closed my account with them 4 years ago, but that doesn't change the fact that they're here to stay, so lets accept that unpleasant fact and move on.

If they're simply throwing a pile of money at Oculus VR and saying "we own you now but you keep running yourselves like you have been" as has been suggested the arrangement is, then the worst outcome is that the additional resources the money will bring about will be focussed on making a product with broader appeal and not just something for gamers.

hehe ..lol..that's a good one..if you believe that facebook will not steer OR towards social media you're mad.
    Zuck doesnt' give a crap about a few thousand pissed off gamers,,he cares about the billion or so users who would stay with facebook if he bought them VR farmville etc..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Blazer wrote: »
    hehe ..lol..that's a good one..if you believe that facebook will not steer OR towards social media you're mad.
    Zuck doesnt' give a crap about a few thousand pissed off gamers,,he cares about the billion or so users who would stay with facebook if he bought them VR farmville etc..

That's kinda what I expect, but until I actually see it happening, I'm not going to waste the mental bandwidth worrying about it :) I'm not already invested in the Rift in any way other than "wow, that looks cool, can't wait to see a finished product" so it's easy to sit this one out for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i'm going to try and stay optimistic (which isn't ****ing easy in this case), and assume that this will speed up development and allow for a smoother launch. Once the device is launched, we'll still get developers making games for the devices. The tech won't change much, and we will hopefully still get the immersive experience that we had hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody gives a **** about VR farmville ffs! I mean are you for real?? You think people are going to shell out a few hundred quid so they can play farmville on a rift. Unbelievable. The amount of idiocy and hysteria around this is both hilarious and pathetic, mostly on reddit to be fair, this thread is a bit more reasonable. The oculus subreddit is just an absolute joke at this stage.

Maybe people need to stop jumping to conclusions and wait a while before getting all upset about this. Nobody likes facebook as a corporation and we all know why. But I don't care about that as long as development of the rift continues as normal, and we get a good quality VR headset that we can play games with. Along side that FB will want to market this thing as an alternative to the google glass headset. An interactive device that sits on your face that you can use to browse the web and talk to people an skype and facebook etc. That is how facebook will use this to generate revenue from advertising and that's fine.

TLDR: What I would expect is that FB are going to use oculus to develop a product to compete with google glass, that's fine by me as long as the rift doesn't get scrapped, and I seriously doubt that the developers would have agreed to this takeover if that was what FB wanted. I just think we should wait and see what they have planned before going crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Reddit isn't exactly a place to go for intelligent, rational discussions tbf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I doubt facebook let them put conditional clauses into the sale when they handed over 2 billion to own the company outright

Facebuke will call the shots from this point forward

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cydoniac wrote: »

Support from Valve and support from Facebook are two very different things.

No ****...

MadYaker wrote: »
    Along side that FB will want to market this thing as an alternative to the google glass headset. An interactive device that sits on your face that you can use to browse the web and talk to people an skype and facebook etc. That is how facebook will use this to generate revenue from advertising and that's fine.
    I just don't see how it's going to work with the likes of Skype. People use skype so that they can see the person they're talking too, it's a bit pointless using skype if the person on the other end is wearing a headset. They'd also need to invent a camera that can send an image to the OR. Even when it comes to facebook are people really going to fire up a VR headset to read facebook posts? Or just check them on their phone?

VR is full of possibilities but unless it's easy to do those possibilities than just looking at your phone none of them will take off.

As long as Facebook is willing to play the long game and wait for VR to establish itself in gaming they have a chance of creating this VR world they promote. I don't think it'll ever work out but at least we get the rift we were promised in the meantime.
    TLDR: What I would expect is that FB are going to use oculus to develop a product to compete with google glass,
    The rift and google glass are just so different I don't see how they can compete with each other. Google glass does what Facebook want really well. The rift I just don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was thinking that FB might use the expertise and tech available at oculus to develop something else altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The facebook PR damage management brigade are out in force:

lW6il6I.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

LOL, you can spot them because everyone else calls him Zuckerburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nobody gives a **** about VR farmville ffs! I mean are you for real?? You think people are going to shell out a few hundred quid so they can play farmville on a rift. Unbelievable. The amount of idiocy and hysteria around this is both hilarious and pathetic, mostly on reddit to be fair, this thread is a bit more reasonable. The oculus subreddit is just an absolute joke at this stage.

My thoughts exactly ! Its just not a feasible business plan to target the rift at casual Facebook gamers. I honestly don't see what route they can go down with the rift that isn't for proper PC gaming. Yes it might be suitable for other forms of media... being able to watch a football match or something from the pitch side sounds amazing.. but again... I think even that is a whiles away and not something that I would be upset about either !

Maybe they'll want the company to work on a Google glasses alternative... but that doesn't really make sense to me since the technologies aren't really similar at all.

Will wait for more info on their plans anyway, but I'm certainly not in panic mode just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How the hell would you watch a football match or any sport from the sidelines using a Rift anyway? You could watch Fifa 2014 or NBA 2014 no problem but a live match? How would that work? A cartoon interpretation of whats happening? Personally when I watch sports I expect it to be photorealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thargor wrote: »
    How the hell would you watch a football match or any sport from the sidelines using a Rift anyway? You could watch Fifa 2014 or NBA 2014 no problem but a live match? How would that work? A cartoon interpretation of whats happening? Personally when I watch sports I expect it to be photorealistic.

video stream from a 360 or directional camera or cameras I would assume :confused:

Thargor wrote: »
    There are 3D videos out there where you can look around and control the angle freely. The problem is it's often better to watch a match on the tele, you only go to the match for the atmosphere because you can't really see what's going on half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

https://soundcloud.com/highway62/internal-facebook-conference

Internal facebook conference on acquiring the rift, I wonder will someone get fired over releasing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The facebook PR damage management brigade are out in force:

lW6il6I.png

Funny, but evidence of nothing beyond fanboi-ism. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

qL5PEfH.jpg

never seen such a large fall out for any product before...

Fnz wrote: »

The exact same comments by the exact same 3 users, but in TWO different subreddits?

More like bot behaviour to me, personally I think stuff like this is disgusting and it's pretty much like WWII propaganda that has evolved onto the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

4 different users in 2 different SubReddits saying word for word the same things?

Kiith wrote: »
    Palmer (original owner) has come out and said that we'll never need a Facebook account to use it, and it'll never have Facebook branding (etc...) but i guess we'll just have to see in the coming months.

*non-accusatory tone* Source?

I find it almost impossible to believe that a Facebook account won't be required. Unless they're using weasel words and actually mean "well, you can browse the store without an account".

waveform wrote: »
    The exact same comments by the exact same 3 users, but in TWO different subreddits?

More like bot behaviour to me, personally I think stuff like this is disgusting and it's pretty much like WWII propaganda that has evolved onto the Internet.
    4 different users in 2 different SubReddits saying word for word the same things?

User "Lellux" is copy-pasting from the original, legitimate discussion?

I don't know the real timeline, though.

*non-accusatory tone* Source?

I find it almost impossible to believe that a Facebook account won't be required. Unless they're using weasel words and actually mean "well, you can browse the store without an account".
    I doubt we'll be forced to log in using Facebook. Why would you need to log in to a display system on your compute?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

This whole "DAE HATE FACEBOOK?" crap is so annoying. Like it's always bad when a big company comes in and buys something smaller. Some people just fail to acknowledge that this has always been the way of business and that a lot of good can actually come with the huge amount of money they now have to their proposal.

• Advertisement

User "Lellux" is copy-pasting from the original, legitimate discussion?

I don't know the real timeline, though.

If the user copy and pasted it would appear as plain black text within one reply.

Those are multiple replies as the usernames are in blue etc...

Advertisement