Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Thargor wrote: »
    As if they have a UI already, thats just a karma-whore bull****ting like most Reddit comments.

Pretty sure it was a joke. He was describing Steam word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

If you can patent "slide to unlock" or "Garment pocket system for securely holding personal items with easy access" there is no way that with how much better they are than anything else available they do not have some patenable stuff

Example of another silly patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US6368227

"The swing is for regular swinging, not for fancy swinging!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

If i was going to order one of the 2nd dev kits as i am planing on using it with my 4th year project for college.

How much gets taking form my card now ?

As i have a VAT number EG i will buy it with a company will i get away with the duty thanks to that ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

At least facebook shouldnt be able to insert their ads into the actual games themselves unless they have made it themselves or sponsored some indie developer.

I dont think we have to worry about facebook popups in the middle of triple A titles, The problem is we may have to log into facebook to run the drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

haven't seen any links to these in the last few pages, plus its pretty relevant here.

a early review and look at sony's project Morpheus VR system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Q4Vf-HwEU

also the OR dev kit version 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3Wli7s6KY

both worth a look anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If i was going to order one of the 2nd dev kits as i am planing on using it with my 4th year project for college.

How much gets taking form my card now ?

As i have a VAT number EG i will buy it with a company will i get away with the duty thanks to that ?.

$50 now and the remainder when it ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

$50 now and the remainder when it ships.

Going to put my order in now for it so.

Question is it post to be shipping in July ?.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Found this via Twitter, well worth reading the original writer's comments (a musician named Peter Berkman) and John Carmack's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I was disgusted when i first heard about facebook buying the rift but i'm starting to mellow out a bit about it now.

The thought of a virtual well made central hub may not be such a bad idea, facebook have the money to put in to make a high quality virtual environment. It could potentially be interesting for 5 minutes.

still, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cF8tw9QECM all my worries havent completely gon away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

brought the rift to my parents 40th wedding anniversary and the damn oculus site was down for maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KevFlynn

safetyboy wrote: »
    brought the rift to my parents 40th wedding anniversary and the damn oculus site was down for maintenance

Tell me about it!!! I bought the thing on Saturday and the site is still down. Can anyone share the SDK? (or point to an alternative download site - though I have looked everywhere for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Try here

Download Zip is on the right side of the page.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Try here

Download Zip is on the right side of the page.

Thanks but I found this one already...I think its the Linux version. I am looking for a Windows one..

Thanks anyway.

KevFlynn wrote: »
    Thanks but I found this one already...I think its the Linux version. I am looking for a Windows one..

Thanks anyway.

Oh right my bad, didn't even notice it was Linux :pac:

Can't remember if it was a case of just extracting the SDK or installing it, pretty sure it was just to extract it.

If nobody else does it, or if the site is still down, I'll put up my SDK when I get home after 6.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Oh right my bad, didn't even notice it was Linux :pac:

Can't remember if it was a case of just extracting the SDK or installing it, pretty sure it was just to extract it.

If nobody else does it, or if the site is still down, I'll put up my SDK when I get home after 6.

Thanks you so much....if I had to go another evening just looking at the hardware it I will start pulling my hair out!!

KevFlynn wrote: »
    Thanks you so much....if I had to go another evening just looking at the hardware it I will start pulling my hair out!!

Thanks All - the site is back up and I have everything downloaded to USB just in case it goes down again. Cant wait to get home to check it all out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think it is interesting that a lot of Valve staff have left the company in recent weeks to join Occulus. Michael Abrash is not the only person to have left Valve, and it seems those that have left basically belong to the unit tasked with researching and developing hardware concepts.

It indicates that Valve's voyage of discovery into the hardware world may be coming to an end, and they have achieved what they wanted by energizing the industry somewhat. It could mean that Valve will finally start to refocus on the game development side of things. I hope they stay close to Occulus though, the work that they are doing is very interesting - and considering Valve have been working alongside them for quite some time it means that they have an insight into VR that very few developers have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think it is interesting that a lot of Valve staff have left the company in recent weeks to join Occulus. Michael Abrash is not the only person to have left Valve, and it seems those that have left basically belong to the unit tasked with researching and developing hardware concepts.

It indicates that Valve's voyage of discovery into the hardware world may be coming to an end, and they have achieved what they wanted by energizing the industry somewhat. It could mean that Valve will finally start to refocus on the game development side of things. I hope they stay close to Occulus though, the work that they are doing is very interesting - and considering Valve have been working alongside them for quite some time it means that they have an insight into VR that very few developers have.
    The bigger question is how many will stay with Occulus now that it's bought by FB...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nody wrote: »
    The bigger question is how many will stay with Occulus now that it's bought by FB...
    I was guessing the reason they all moved over is because of Facebook money giving them all a job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was guessing the reason they all moved over is because of Facebook money giving them all a job.
    But it is unlikely they knew that when they hired on in the first place; hence the question esp. as other companies are revving up their VR attempts as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ScumLord wrote: »

I suspect the reason they moved from Valve is because they got the impression that the company had gone as far as it was going to go with hardware development for now. They will probably focus on the software end of VR (next major Valve title could support it?) but I wouldn't count on them doing much more hardware work.

• Company Representative Posts: 14 Verified rep Player1 Gaming: Shane

With increasing entries into the VR HW arena it does look like the HW is not where the money will be made. Facebook will likely go down an app store + advertising route to monetise Oculus. Microsoft and Sony will probably use their VR systems as leverage in a more traditional gaming market share battle at least in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

Hey, just wondering if anyone has their Unity Pro code they haven't used? Got the Rift to use with my college project but have no code. Any help appreciated!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This just pushed me over the edge, and now i'm going to pre-order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Nice - hadn't seen that demo before.

Was just thinking earlier how OR and Star Citizen should be a match made in gaming heaven. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone looking to offload there DK1 i will give it a nice home. :)

I know, i know, 'check adverts.ie' but there usually up and gone or in the back end of killinafeckin. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would love Oculus Rift for my driving games. I would love them to get the Damn consumer version out already. No way I am touching Dev kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I would love Oculus Rift for my driving games. I would love them to get the Damn consumer version out already. No way I am touching Dev kit.
    2016 is only 2 years away* :)

*before Consumer version is out and an acceptable amount of content to warrant a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SO are there actually any decent games using the rift in a decent manner?

thus far my list is:

Eurotruck Simulator :best
    Team Fortess 2: second best

Warthunder is'nt playable at this res and I say that as flight sim fan
    HL2 is an absolute no no, nausea in minutes
    Skyrim is so so haven't really tweaked it

Any others?

• Advertisement

Nausea could be a bit subjective I guess so what I'm fine with might not agree with someone else.

For HL2, were you using a mod or Valve's beta patches? Just wondering as there's a huge difference in the 2 of them, I'm perfectly grand with the Rift in general but the HL2 mod was a sickener and had to leave it. When the beta patches came out I played the game + it's 2 episodes perfectly and had a blast with it.

Quake is fun to play, fast-movement but no nausea effect. Quake 2 is also good to play.

Stanley Parable runs nicely, you use Tridef for that which has a 14 day trial.

Metro Last Light is another, will swallow your GPU though if it's not up to scratch.

Dishonored can be played with the Rift, I haven't tried it yet but since I'm just starting the DLCs I think I'll try it out.

Advertisement