Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Just incase anyone was looking for a memento of the facebook takeover:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1818584/virtual-reality-facebook-bear.html?li=shop-results&materialId=26

674x501_1818584_2513336_1396966153.jpg

Too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

What is pedo bear up to now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

For half-life 2 I used the team fortress 2 calibrator and copy pasted those setting into the HL2 config file. I had a bunch of different ones for different friends.

I can't remember exactly which files you need to copy and paste from/to

Ignore that, apparently it's changed now:
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide#Calibrating_your_Inter-Pupillary_Distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Bambi wrote: »
    SO are there actually any decent games using the rift in a decent manner?

thus far my list is:

Eurotruck Simulator :best
    Team Fortess 2: second best

Warthunder is'nt playable at this res and I say that as flight sim fan
    HL2 is an absolute no no, nausea in minutes
    Skyrim is so so haven't really tweaked it

Any others?
    Assetto Corsa
    HL2s main issue that causes nausea is the walk speed, you can reduce it in the config or if you have Razor Hydras use the much much better HL2 VR mod

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Had a five minute go on dev1 yesterday at an expo.. Pretty cool but was shocked at the quality so would love try dev2 / Crystal Cove. The coolest moment was during the rollercoaster and I fixed myself on part of the ground and followed it for as long as I could. Nice immersion compared to just swinging your head around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Pretty cool but was shocked at the quality so would love try dev2 / Crystal Cove.
    By 'quality' do you mean the resolution or the blur? if its the resolution you will be disappointed as it will be only slightly better in DK2 due to it being a pentile display( i.e. resolution wise its only 1080p for green pixels, its not 1080p for red and blue pixels, i cant remember the ratio of RGB for the DK2 )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Can any game be played with the Rift in old-fashioned 2D?

Also, are there any estimations on release date or price for this or is it still much too early to tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

C14N wrote: »
    Can any game be played with the Rift in old-fashioned 2D?
    There is a cinema demo that gives the impression you're sitting in front of a massive cinema screen. But the overall point of the rift is that it puts you in the game, it's not supposed to be like you're looking at a screen at all, which was what the old VR experience was like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ScumLord wrote: »
    There is a cinema demo that gives the impression you're sitting in front of a massive cinema screen. But the overall point of the rift is that it puts you in the game, it's not supposed to be like you're looking at a screen at all, which was what the old VR experience was like.

Yeah I know, I just mean that if the devs hadn't released an OR update for the game or if you wanted to play an older game that wasn't getting any update, you could still use it as a screen. I presume it's a bit of work for the devs to add in head tracking and 3D and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

C14N wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I just mean that if the devs hadn't released an OR update for the game or if you wanted to play an older game that wasn't getting any update, you could still use it as a screen. I presume it's a bit of work for the devs to add in head tracking and 3D and stuff.
    That's probably possible. I think the major problem though is that a game needs to be optimised so it doesn't feel bizarre. I remember hearing stories of feeling like you're really short or that it didn't feel like you could go through doors without hitting your head.

So it's not so much that the games won't run at all without being updated for the rift, it's just they can be a bit unplayable because everything feels to weird. They need to be optimised more than upgraded to work with the rift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I bet we'll see loads of mods like that Cinema one for playing unoptimized games on a flat screen, recreations of famous arcades from the glory days, stuff like the Angry Video Game Nerds gameroom, Apartments from famous sitcoms, that kind of thing. If theres a camera on a future version maybe just augmented reality so it looks like theres a 50" Samsung stuck to the wall of your own room, or make the whole wall a flatscreen. I know there are technical challenges like the resolution etc but the cinema mod is supposed to be pretty great just on the devkits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tridef, Vorpx, and Vierio Perception drivers are what you guys are on about in terms of using the OR with games that don't have native support. Those drivers, especially Tridef + Vorpx, update their list for games that can be used with the OR frequently enough.

You can adjust the FOV, headtracking sensitivity, 3D effect, etc in-game with these 3D drivers. It's how I played Stanley Parable which took about 20 seconds to get right.
    Thargor wrote: »
    I bet we'll see loads of mods like that Cinema one for playing unoptimized games on a flat screen, recreations of famous arcades from the glory days, stuff like the Angry Video Game Nerds gameroom, Apartments from famous sitcoms, that kind of thing.

They already exist in a way, a guy made the lab from Breaking Bad and another made Seinfeld's apartment. Someone is also developing something like a man-cave where you can have all sorts of crap in a room with working arcade machines.

If I had any developing skills I'd make a 80's or 90's bedroom / sitting room. You'd have a CRT TV with a working SNES / Mega Drive emulator..........you'd also be child sized for nostalgia :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats what I meant, places you go to play the games, and your friends avatars will be able to sit on the couch beside you and play 2P games.

Jaysus lads, looks like SuckingBurger has well and truly killed this thread! :(

I miss all the frequent replies.
    Duggy have you been playing any cool demos lately?

Are the independent developers still updating and creating content , or is there some boycotting the rift since the take over?

• Any release date on the devkit 2? I'm glad I waited so was looking to put myself in a pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any release date on the devkit 2? I'm glad I waited so was looking to put myself in a pre-order.

Pre-order has been out a while now for the DK2 and the first batch will be sent out in July. If you order now you'll be in batch 2 will be August i saw somewhere on the Oculus Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

waveform wrote: »
    I miss all the frequent replies.
    Duggy have you been playing any cool demos lately?

Haven't actually used it in about a month, a mix of wanting to play other stuff (I'm back playing PayDay 2) and not having any time with work.

I don't mind not using the Rift for about a month, it allows me to not get bored of it and to try out updated demos / games / new stuff when I return to it. Gonna try out Mario Kart Wii with the Rift when I get the chance, though.

Was on the forum last night and seen some new stuff released, doesn't seem to be any videos on them but this guy has some footage of them:

I've no idea if he's doing the usual over-the-top, "I want to be a Pixar character", mentally challenged voice that so many Youtubers do when playing the Rift but he's not flailing like a muppet so I guess he's ok :pac:

Nothing puts me off gaming quicker than the over-reactionary videos from idiots like that, the Rift is great but it's not "EURGHMAGAWD!! This is the most intense thing ever, WAAAAAAAAARRGGHHH!!! BLIP BLOP BLOOP!! HERPA DERPA DERP!! Like my videos and subscribe if you want me to scream when I play more Oculus Rift...........er..............WABBLE WABBLE, GOOBA LOOBA?"

Stupid shìt to get views. If you want to check out latest Rift demos & games stick to the channels with the low views, they're the guys who don't speak like they're touched in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

grizzly wrote: »

I was sitting people in an adjustable chair and dropping the height on it when they hit that part :D

That said if someone starting acting the bollix and freaking out like that they'd get a dig for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Anyone get to try the demo https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisproductions/technolust-true-cyberpunk yet?

Looks like it could be a great game/experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

brav wrote: »
    Anyone get to try the demo https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisproductions/technolust-true-cyberpunk yet?

Looks like it could be a great game/experience

Hadn't heard of this but I love the look and style of the game, takes me back to the 80's movies I loved as a kid. Definitely gonna back this for early access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Hadn't heard of this but I love the look and style of the game, takes me back to the 80's movies I loved as a kid. Definitely gonna back this for early access.

Lots of movie/book references in it, love the Blade runner look of it.
    A review/quick look thing done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2u7sybap4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Engadget: "John Carmack's former employer claims he stole tech for Oculus VR when he left..."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-claims-oculus-stole/

The Rift story just gets deeper and deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,208 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I got around to trying out Quake 2 last night. Wow! Blown away. I stood in that outdoor section on level 1 for a good while staring up at the red sky and watching the ships fly over. Got such a sensation of actually being there.

Unfortunately after about 20 minutes an extreme bout of nausea hit me. Worst I've ever experienced in the rift. Turns out the framerate had dropped significantly and I hadn't realized.

Tried to stay in the game as I was having so much fun, but just couldn't do it. If I left it for a minute longer I reckon I'd have thrown up :eek:

Newstalk try the Oculus Rift DevKit 1:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

o1s1n wrote: »
    I got around to trying out Quake 2 last night. Wow! Blown away. I stood in that outdoor section on level 1 for a good while staring up at the red sky and watching the ships fly over. Got such a sensation of actually being there.

Unfortunately after about 20 minutes an extreme bout of nausea hit me. Worst I've ever experienced in the rift. Turns out the framerate had dropped significantly and I hadn't realized.

Tried to stay in the game as I was having so much fun, but just couldn't do it. If I left it for a minute longer I reckon I'd have thrown up :eek:

If Id remake the original Quake game that would be awesome, John Carmack I think suggested they might revisit that universe which would be great with Occulus as then you could be right in the middle of Lovecraftian world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Very enthusiastic talk about the Rift back in November from the developer of Fortress Craft:

Man does he make me want to try one so bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can't listen... i can't stop staring at that moustache

• Advertisement

Engadget: "John Carmack's former employer claims he stole tech for Oculus VR when he left..."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-claims-oculus-stole/

The Rift story just gets deeper and deeper.
    Hopefully this won't delay the release of DK2 and the consumer version

Advertisement