Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bambi wrote: »
    Must have a look again later on because while GTA bores the ****e out of me i think liberty city is an amazing environment

Yea, could never get into the game (I liked EFLC, though) but when you're on the ground and in first person you can really see the sheer amount of work that went into the city. Just sitting in the car listening to music, watching traffic and people go by doing their things is great.

Headtracking option should be under HMD on the main menu, you should have the normal options unless something is up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Taylor365 wrote: »
    So how much is DK2 costing for people in total?
    $350 for the DK2
    $55 Shipping
    $93 tax
    $498 total
    so €357 including shipping and tax going by today's exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

$350 for the DK2
    $55 Shipping
    $93 tax
    $498 total
    so €357 including shipping and tax going by today's exchange rate

Yep same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hmmm...

€360 for a DK2

Or try get a DK1 for a sneaky €200-250.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

€360 for a DK2

Or try get a DK1 for a sneaky €200-250.

Decisions, decisions.
    youre better off getting a DK2, has positional tracking, better refresh rate, better resolution, better colour reproduction/contrast, next to no blur and moving forward the games released for the consumer version should work perfectly with DK2 as the intention was that DK2 would have all the main features of the consumer version. DK1 lacking positional tracking means a lot of stuff will be awkward/impossible to do in games for the consumer version.

While DK1 is brilliant, the resolution makes it awkward to use in games that are best suited for it, i.e. seated cockpit games, in War Thunder its difficult to see enemy planes in the distance, in Assetto Corsa its difficult to see upcoming tight corners. Euro Truck Sim 2 is fine though with loads of AA and downsampling.

DK2 will also have better resale value if youre not happy with it whereas the DK1 value will plummet in 2 months.

Have you tried DK1? get someone close to demo it if you havnt tried it.

Thats my 2 cent anyway.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I think my problem is the tridef in game menu is missing a lot of options that are meant to be there from looking at other peoples posts. Deffo no headtracking options anyway

Must have a look again later on because while GTA bores the ****e out of me i think liberty city is an amazing environment
    youre using the Oculus beta version of Tridef right?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    youre better off getting a DK2, has positional tracking, better refresh rate, better resolution, better colour reproduction/contrast, next to no blur and moving forward the games released for the consumer version should work perfectly with DK2 as the intention was that DK2 would have all the main features of the consumer version. DK1 lacking positional tracking means a lot of stuff will be awkward/impossible to do in games for the consumer version.

While DK1 is brilliant, the resolution makes it awkward to use in games that are best suited for it, i.e. seated cockpit games, in War Thunder its difficult to see enemy planes in the distance, in Assetto Corsa its difficult to see upcoming tight corners. Euro Truck Sim 2 is fine though with loads of AA and downsampling.

DK2 will also have better resale value if youre not happy with it whereas the DK1 value will plummet in 2 months.

Have you tried DK1? get someone close to demo it if you havnt tried it.

Thats my 2 cent anyway.
    The sensible thing to do is wait but I'm sure you could pick one up for a couple of weeks to to try it and sell it on for a slight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are there any shops or MAKE spaces or anywhere like that in dublin where I can walk in and try a Rift? DK2 preferably but anything really just to try...

I was listening to newstalk on saturday and I'm fairly sure that someone sent in a message about a new place in Maynooth. I think it was called playerone or something. More than likely DK1 though and I'm sure they charge for it

here you go: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Player1-Gaming/432310076900083 Not sure what the story is with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thargor wrote: »
    Are there any shops or MAKE spaces or anywhere like that in dublin where I can walk in and try a Rift? DK2 preferably but anything really just to try...

Sounds like a business opportunity! €1/ min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lu Tze wrote: »

I did that for charity a while back..really suprised at the amount we pulled in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Rift is a drug, no it's worse than drugs and therefore should be tested the same way drugs are.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/03/facebook-twists-reality-again-and-risks-ruining-your-children/

Well done Fox.

From Fox:
    Is no one concerned that Mark Zuckerberg’s zeal for completely immersing people in alternate realities might be toxic for them?
    lol, the irony

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh Fox News...you constantly provide us with hilarious bull****.
    If the Oculus Rift were a pharmaceutical or a medical device, rather than a gaming headset, the FDA would study it for years and demand rigorous clinical trials in volunteers before approving it. It would want to make certain the device had no unexpected side effects -- like depression or attention deficit disorder or anxiety or delusional thinking.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ahh Fox News...you constantly provide us with hilarious bull****.
    xD

A device that can deliver the same results as 'years of economic and geographical hardship'.

I'm sold!

Any guess on consumer version release? 2016? 17?

Seen a few videos saying DO NOT BUY DK2 so don't know who to believe.

Why do they say don't buy a DK2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Red Bull are demoing things on the Rift in some Tesco stores https://twitter.com/kevamcauley/status/464436731476205569

Well, Palmer Lucky said don't buy it if your not a dev as it won't be anything like the Consumer version.

Ah ok, i think they said the same for DK1 as well. I thought you meant there were issues with it.

I'd class myself as an enthusiast which is why I'm buying one. If you are unsure then perhaps buying one between a group of friends is a better idea. Most of the content for DK1 is just demos so they can be experienced over a day or two and then you can pass it on to your friends for their turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd class myself as an enthusiast which is why I'm buying one. If you are unsure then perhaps buying one between a group of friends is a better idea. Most of the content for DK1 is just demos so they can be experienced over a day or two and then you can pass it on to your friends for their turn

Three_Men_and_a_Comic_Book.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a trap!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Lu Tze wrote: »

I'm in maynooth..I have a rift...and I was tempted to go down to my local shopping centre (the one that player 1 shop is based in oddly enough) set it up with a laptop and charge people a quid a turn on rift coaster..figured it'd break some/all Rift T and C's though ;)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I'm in maynooth..I have a rift...and I was tempted to go down to my local shopping centre (the one that player 1 shop is based in oddly enough) set it up with a laptop and charge people a quid a turn on rift coaster..figured it'd break some/all Rift T and C's though ;)
    i dont think you would break any T&C's and to be honest with you if i didnt have a Rift i would easily pay 1euro, even 5 euro for a quick try of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Quick question for anyone that knows.

I just preordered DK2 but only $50 was taken out of the card, when does the rest of the money get taken.
    Its a prepaid card and i dont want to babysit the balance, any answers is greatly appreciated

macker33 wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone that knows.

I just preordered DK2 but only $50 was taken out of the card, when does the rest of the money get taken.
    Its a prepaid card and i dont want to babysit the balance, any answers is greatly appreciated
    I think it's when it's ready to ship that they take the balance. If you email them you should be able to get a rough date on when your area is next on the list.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think it's when it's ready to ship that they take the balance. If you email them you should be able to get a rough date on when your area is next on the list.
    They won't give details on deliveries, but I think new orders have expected delivery in August/September

I gave the star trek next gen engineering demo a whirl last night, its uncanny and better standing when experiencing it, really cool, these kind of experiences are excellent in vr, and the gfx are excellent and really polished, litterally lol

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

ScumLord wrote: »

That sucks, i hate having money and not being able to spend it,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I tried first version on Monday thanks to Boardsie ( Brian ) and I was blown away by technology. I was not blown away by first version though.

The main issue is resolution, but for someone who never tried Oculus rift, I could not understand why people were saying it. Surely 720p is still pretty much good...
    Reality is, that 720p in Oculus rift becomes something like 100p and zoomed out in to your face. The level of detail is just shockingly bad.

After trying out first version, I really really want to get second version as it is 1080p, but problem is - I dont think it will be enough. So I will wait and try out mk2 before buying it.

So to anyone who still wants to give buy, but still thinking of grabing mk1. Just Dont buy it at all or buy mk2. First version is grand to have a go at it and see it as a demo to VR technology. Outside of that, it is pretty much useless. Go for Mk2.

All in all I am very excited about the future of gaming. Oculus Rift was supposed to be this next generation gaming experience. Playing Racing sims and Warthunder will be EPIC!

• Advertisement

After trying out first version, I really really want to get second version as it is 1080p, but problem is - I dont think it will be enough. So I will wait and try out mk2 before buying it.
    I think the final consumer version is supposed to have a resolution even higher than 1080. I'd be tempted to get the DK2 if it wasn't for that fact.

Advertisement