Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think the final consumer version is supposed to have a resolution even higher than 1080. I'd be tempted to get the DK2 if it wasn't for that fact.
    Just to be clear DK2 isint really 1080p, its lower rez than the HD version they were demoing before Crystal Cove, DK2 is a pentile display, pixels are orientated in a diamond display, green pixels have a 1080p rez, but red and blue don't therefore its not really 1080p, its mobile tech BS, but it is OLED and with the FB acquisition they can afford their own custom screen.

Guaranteed CV1 will be 1440 but possibly pentile, I would only expect FB money to provide a screen for CV2. The screens cost billions in R&D and manufacturing equipment, and R&D time of course.

I wouldn't recommend any Dev kit to a regular consumer, there's a lot of fiddling with display setups to get the optimal experience and there's a lack of full title support. There's great demos but its not there yet and won't be for a while for hard core gamers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Just to be clear DK2 isint really 1080p, its lower rez than the HD version they were demoing before Crystal Cove, DK2 is a pentile display, pixels are orientated in a diamond display, green pixels have a 1080p rez, but red and blue don't therefore its not really 1080p, its mobile tech BS, but it is OLED and with the FB acquisition they can afford their own custom screen.

Guaranteed CV1 will be 1440 but possibly pentile, I would only expect FB money to provide a screen for CV2. The screens cost billions in R&D and manufacturing equipment, and R&D time of course.

I wouldn't recommend any Dev kit to a regular consumer, there's a lot of fiddling with display setups to get the optimal experience and there's a lack of full title support. There's great demos but its not there yet and won't be for a while for hard core gamers

They're not going to be making the screens themselves, they'd bleed money if they tried that. They'll just buy the screens from Samsung, LG, Sony or one of the other few screen manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yeah, I don't believe FB's money will be a direct cause of screen development. The big Asian conglomerates have years and years of money and R+D put into screens already, a couple of billion probably isn't going to suddenly prompt a dramatic increase in screen performance over what's available now. Another concern is that the priorities for these manufacturers' main market (smartphones) aren't quite the same as VR because the use cases are so different. A smartphone display doesn't require a high refresh rate or tightly packed pixels, it mainly just needs to be clear, bright, and have good viewing angles. The VR market will take some time before it's lucrative enough to have its display demands considered as important as those of smartphones in the eyes of display manufacturers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Brian wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't believe FB's money will be a direct cause of screen development. The big Asian conglomerates have years and years of money and R+D put into screens already, a couple of billion probably isn't going to suddenly prompt a dramatic increase in screen performance over what's available now. Another concern is that the priorities for these manufacturers' main market (smartphones) aren't quite the same as VR because the use cases are so different. A smartphone display doesn't require a high refresh rate or tightly packed pixels, it mainly just needs to be clear, bright, and have good viewing angles. The VR market will take some time before it's lucrative enough to have its display demands considered as important as those of smartphones in the eyes of display manufacturers.

High refresh rate maybe but smartphone manufacturers have been pumping up the PPI of their screens over the past couple of years. There are phones coming out soon with 5.5" screens with a 1440P resolution, that's about 540PPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I wasn't referring to pixel density, but pixel fill factor.

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/details-on-new-display-for-developer-kits/

Fill factor isn't a concern in smartphone displays because of the operating distance ameliorating the screen-door effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

They're not going to be making the screens themselves, they'd bleed money if they tried that. They'll just buy the screens from Samsung, LG, Sony or one of the other few screen manufacturers.
    Palmer himself said it, the FB deal means they dont have to rely on scraps from the mobile industry. Theyre not going to setup a whole manufacturing process etc. but i guess they can have custom screens comissioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

ZeniMax have filed an official lawsuit against Oculus today. I can't link to the article on PC Gamer, but I assume it'll pop up on other sites soon enough. Hopefully it'll be resolved quickly enough - I imagine Oculus can afford some rather good legal representation these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Surprised they havent integrated two forward facing cameras in the new dev kit, there is the potential for augmented reality games, even if it is just playing street fighter on your kitchen table instead of the typical background!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Surprised they havent integrated two forward facing cameras in the new dev kit, there is the potential for augmented reality games, even if it is just playing street fighter on your kitchen table instead of the typical background!

ssshhh! they might make a DK3 with that before we get the commercial version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can a mod please capitalise the words Oculus and Rift in the thread title please? (Sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Half Life 2 has been updated to include the Rift's IPD settings. Is there a way to change the control setup to make it more like Skyrim. I mean locking the crosshair to head tracking and moving your torso with the right analogue. It's still making me very sick the way they have it now. It's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I don't know if this is out of date or not but you could try the different settings for "vr_moveaim_mode" convar listed here:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide

So Samsung are teaming up with Oculus to develop their own VR headset (which will be aimed at smart phone users and will not be a rival to Oculus' own gaming headset). According to Engadget, Oculus will give Samsung early access to their mobile software dev kit. In return, Samsung will give Oculus early access to their next-gen OLED screens. And Engadget's sources reckon these screens will be higher resolution than 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's more along the lines of what you want to see Oculus do.

That deal makes sense alright. There are others doing this with mobiles too:

https://www.durovis.com/dive.html
    http://www.vrase.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    So Samsung are teaming up with Oculus to develop their own VR headset (which will be aimed at smart phone users and will not be a rival to Oculus' own gaming headset). According to Engadget, Oculus will give Samsung early access to their mobile software dev kit. In return, Samsung will give Oculus early access to their next-gen OLED screens. And Engadget's sources reckon these screens will be higher resolution than 1080p.

I'd say they are. I mean even consumer phones all have 1080p now at the upper end, with Samsung's R&D it wouldn't surprise me at all if prototypes can already go higher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

C14N wrote: »
    I'd say they are. I mean even consumer phones all have 1080p now at the upper end, with Samsung's R&D it wouldn't surprise me at all if prototypes can already go higher than that.

The announced LG G3 has a 2,560 x 1,440 5.5 inch screen, which is 538 ppi.

Valve recently gave a sneak-peak of their own headset at some VR event in Boston.

It's interesting that they're still working on it - back in January they said they wanted to help Oculus bring PC gaming forward by working with them, but that was before the FB buyout. Valve have also lost a few of their top tech guys to Oculus since then too. Is it still just an in-house tech experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Valve recently gave a sneak-peak of their own headset at some VR event in Boston.

It's interesting that they're still working on it - back in January they said they wanted to help Oculus bring PC gaming forward by working with them, but that was before the FB buyout. Valve have also lost a few of their top tech guys to Oculus since then too. Is it still just an in-house tech experiment?

they had previously said that it was too expensive to bring to market, dunno if thats changed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

very cool

the description of the tabletop overview reminds me of that psychonauts level

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Basically with valves VR you could spectate a game of dota as a tabletop game. So you would be looking at the action happen from above but you could bend down and look at any aspect of the game that was happening closer. Which would be cool for cs and cod etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

waveform wrote: »
    Their website is down! What's the article about?

Gaben has created a metaverse in which we can all live so long as we run steam OS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Apologies if already posted

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

ah man i really need to try this!

Looks awesome, I couldn't stand listening to the reviewer though so I had to turn it off. That's going on my list of things to try when I get my DK2.

btw for people awaiting their DK2. Some guy on the Elite Dangerous forums emailed Oculus because he was moving house and wouldn't be at his new location until July 10th (UK). They told him that it was ok because they didnt expect to begin shipping internationally before then. So it's realistic to expect your DK2 towards the end of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just tried that Opera thing now. Holy Smokes! That's the best VR so far, by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

So it's realistic to expect your DK2 towards the end of July.

3r3et0.jpg

Advertisement