Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Another big name joins Oculus - Jason Rubin, former president of THQ and co-founder of Naughty Dog. He'll be heading up a new content-creation division! Story on Engadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

so just over a month till they start shipping.

Arceveti
    At the OCVR Unity meetup on Saturday, an Oculus employee told me that they would ship mid-July, around the 15th or 16th

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/27sx46/im_meeting_with_oculus_tomorrow_at_e3_what_would/ci43rbe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So tempted to buy this. Any word on how long i'd have to wait if i only ordered it now? Guessing they'll ship on a first come first served basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

ETA is August if you order now. I think it gives you that estimate on the order page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have to say I'm very tempted. Is it easy to get up and running (does anyone know)? I know its a dev kit, but I don't have the time or patience to start writing code for it. ;)

Zulu wrote: »
    I have to say I'm very tempted. Is it easy to get up and running (does anyone know)? I know its a dev kit, but I don't have the time or patience to start writing code for it. ;)

should be easy enough to get going you'll just need a decent computer to get the best out of it

• Company Representative Posts: 14 Verified rep Player1 Gaming: Shane

I was listening to newstalk on saturday and I'm fairly sure that someone sent in a message about a new place in Maynooth. I think it was called playerone or something. More than likely DK1 though and I'm sure they charge for it

here you go: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Player1-Gaming/432310076900083 Not sure what the story is with them

Hi, glad to hear the Newstalk Futureproof plug got picked up. We just got hooked up on boards so I thought I would reply.

You are right we have a Rift in the store for anyone to try. It is DK1 but we don't charge for it. Typically we run the rift coaster as it's the easiest demo for the store. We have let people have a shot of some other demos and Team Fortress 2 when the store is quiet. If you wanted to try something specific and gave some advance notice we'd be happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hi, glad to hear the Newstalk Futureproof plug got picked up. We just got hooked up on boards so I thought I would reply.

You are right we have a Rift in the store for anyone to try. It is DK1 but we don't charge for it. Typically we run the rift coaster as it's the easiest demo for the store. We have let people have a shot of some other demos and Team Fortress 2 when the store is quiet. If you wanted to try something specific and gave some advance notice we'd be happy to oblige.

Good way to increase the footfall in-store! Surprised games stores havent done this before, though i guess there isnt anything they can sell off the back of it

• Company Representative Posts: 14 Verified rep Player1 Gaming: Shane

It certainly helps with word of mouth!
    We're currently considering getting an Omni Treadmill too. Partly because the Rift was so popular in the store and partly because we want to try it ourselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

From the funny gifs thread...

cvYXfxz.gif

Wall-E anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

waveform wrote: »
    From the funny gifs thread...

cvYXfxz.gif

Wall-E anyone?

Ha HA I posted that and got it from the Oculus forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's the rift like to watch movies/tv on? Can you playback anything in the cinema software? Considering getting the new model for mostly watching movies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

What's the rift like to watch movies/tv on? Can you playback anything in the cinema software? Considering getting the new model for mostly watching movies...
    Its pretty cool, but the rez is too low on the dk1, dk2 should be much better due to higher rez and positional tracking. It is like being in a cinema. I have a projector and I can see it being redundant when the rift has a 4k screen. I watched Predator on the rift with the cinema app, it plays mkv's but last I checked you have to rename the file to .avi

The guy who wrote the cinema app was hired by oculus so it hasn't been updated in a while, no doubt they're working on a better one for the consumer release. Hopefully there will be an update with positional tracking for dk2 though.

I showed the cinema app to non techies and they were very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I cant take the waiting anymore, has anything been said about a retail version lately?

Not sure I can either. Can't remember the last time I wanted something so badly.

It sure is painful but they are suggesting it will be 1440p and ideally run at 90fps. That's a pretty high spec so perhaps they need to encourage game devs to create new games with simpler graphics than we are used to. They want this to not fail on launch so I think they are holding off until it works really well and they have the games to show it off properly. The fact they are pushing Android development is encouraging too and shows that they believe Oculus games will work even without really fancy graphics.

A game like Elite Dangeorus will struggle to work on most systems at that resolution, framerate and side by side stereo vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I imagine it'll be 2016 at least before any retail version?
    Is DK2 still available to order or have they even started shipping them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

DK2 can be ordered at https://www.oculusvr.com/order/ and any orders made now are expected to ship in August according to that same page. The first round of DK2 orders are expected to ship in July I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I imagine it'll be 2016 at least before any retail version?
    Is DK2 still available to order or have they even started shipping them yet?
    I don't think it'll be that long (I hope it's not that long), they've been giving the impression that the consumer version will be hot on the heels of the dev2. I think the dev2 will be just to get devs up to speed on the new additions so they can have content ready for the full release.

I think they've also said they've had a dream, money no object rift planned for a while and had been working on making that affordable but now that they have the facebook money all the restrictions are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think I might sell my dev kit, I had a good innings with it and was impressed enough that I want to move onto the next phase, whether that be the DK2 or the actual consumer version.

They're going for ridiculous money 2nd hand, one guy on DoneDeal is selling it at €300 with the HDMI-DVI adapter missing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be that long (I hope it's not that long), they've been giving the impression that the consumer version will be hot on the heels of the dev2. I think the dev2 will be just to get devs up to speed on the new additions so they can have content ready for the full release.

I think they've also said they've had a dream, money no object rift planned for a while and had been working on making that affordable but now that they have the facebook money all the restrictions are gone.

I don't know why I said 2016, meant to say 2015.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I think I might sell my dev kit, I had a good innings with it and was impressed enough that I want to move onto the next phase, whether that be the DK2 or the actual consumer version.

They're going for ridiculous money 2nd hand, one guy on DoneDeal is selling it at €300 with the HDMI-DVI adapter missing :pac:

What the hell is going on on Ebay? Bids of $500-600+ for DK1? :confused:

saw something on reddit about it. apparently someone is buying them up for some time critical project

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

DK2 shipping soon:
    The first batch of official DK2s have left the manufacturing facility and are making their way to our distribution centers now. We expect to ship roughly 10,000 DK2s from the factory in July, with just over half of the units through distribution centers and on their way to doorsteps before the end of the month. The very first units are expected to reach developers the week of July 14th. Tracking numbers for all DK2s will be generated as soon as the shipment has been processed by a distribution center.

Please take a moment to confirm that your shipping address is up to date via the Oculus Sales page (https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/). We'll ship to the address on file, and if the information is incorrect, it may cause delivery delays. In the event that your payment information is no longer valid, you'll receive an email prior to shipment with instructions on how to complete your payment.

We're now over 45,000 DK2 pre-orders, which is incredibly exciting. That said, we're slightly behind in manufacturing and there's currently a high chance that some developers with estimated shipping in July may not have their DK2s shipped until August. We have a team in China working on continued ramp of production at our factory, and we'll work our way through the queue as fast as we can.

Once your Development Kit 2 is ready for shipment, you'll receive an email with a tracking number which can be used to see an estimated delivery date. Please do not contact Oculus support asking for a shipping estimate, as we do not know the status of your package until a tracking number has been generated.

We'll continue to post status updates, so everyone can stay current on what's going on behind the scenes. Thanks again for your continued support, and we hope everyone is excited to be begin working with DK2!
    link - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/29lwoc/official_dk2_update_july_1st_2014/
    i ordered within the first 70 mins( site was down for 40 mins of that lol ), so hopefully will be in the first batch, doubt it will be delivered July 14th,m probably July 21st is more reasonable.

With the delays these will fetch a bomb on ebay lol.

Yeah I was early too, definitely within two hours of it being advertised. It looks like there will only be about 5000 fully delivered by the end of July. i hope they don't concentrate on US deliveries or decide to wait and do all the Ireland deliveries together

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much was it? EDIT 350$ I see

I'd love to try it out, looks sweet.

How much was it? EDIT 350$ I see

I'd love to try it out, looks sweet.

+$55 shipping and $93 tax = about $500

They have updated the order page. It now gives September as the estimated shipping date if you order from today. I think there will be quite a few of these floating around so I'm sure you'll get to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I ordered a few days after it went live. Doubt ill be seeing it before august

Advertisement