Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

apparently you had to order in the first few hours of the first day to get it in July.

Hopefully I can borrow one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yeah I was early too, definitely within two hours of it being advertised. It looks like there will only be about 5000 fully delivered by the end of July. i hope they don't concentrate on US deliveries or decide to wait and do all the Ireland deliveries together
    i doubt they will, from what i remember with DK1 shipments, guys received them in the US and then a few days later they were appearing in Europe. The European distribution centre is in the UK so irish shipments wont be lumped together, they just courier from the UK, takes about 2 days( but doesnt have weekend shipping so if you get email on Friday it will be monday or Tuesday before it arives - drove me nuts with DK1 when that happened as i went on a 4 week holiday a day after it arrived ).

Add your order on the spreadsheet if you havnt already( the more populated it is the better we will know when we expect to recieve one ):
    http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/29mu5b/attention_all_with_a_dk2_preorder_please_help/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I was in touch with a few other irish people on reddit for the DK1 (non kickstarter) orders and they received their rifts on the same day as me even though they ordered them at different times. I'm number 237 on that list right now, I was number 199 this morning.

I was in touch with a few other irish people on reddit for the DK1 (non kickstarter) orders and they received their rifts on the same day as me even though they ordered them at different times. I'm number 237 on that list right now, I was number 199 this morning.
    yeah but what was happening there was that they were batching per region, they were sending shipments of 1000-2000 to the US then another to the UK, another to Asia etc. Whereas the initial DK1 batches were sent in lower quantities to each of the regions. Im guessing each region will probably get 1000, there are a lot of european orders so that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Ordered at 9:36 PDT on the 19th so hope I get one from the first batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

When did you order yours, Squidwert?

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Which batch you hoping for?

What date was it?

ordered it an hour and a half after they went on sale

What timezone was that though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this the list?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsakiLZiXDfLdEFhNXRzMU44VkNZNzlZVEI2NXFTY2c&toomany=true

What timezone was that though?

They went on sale at 0800 PDT my order was placed at 0936 PDT so hopefully i'm in the first batch

Skerries wrote: »
    Yes, but the more entries people add the further down the list everyone's going, but might give a good indication if we'll be in the first batch, but some entries may have ordered more than 1 rift and that's not shown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Which batch you hoping for?
    Ye're beginning to sound like crack addicts. :P

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ye're beginning to sound like crack addicts. :P
    The glue they use in the first batch is usually stronger and enhances the immersion...man

Damn this was much funnier when Squidwert had 3 posts in a row saying the same thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Will probably be in the first batch, hurray!

Won't be able to get my grubby paws on it until September though, boo! :(

Will probably be in the first batch, hurray!

Won't be able to get my grubby paws on it until September though, boo! :(
    order another and ebay the current one, selling for £500 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Is there anyone out there who see's FB buying out the Oculus guys as a positive thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there who see's FB buying out the Oculus guys as a positive thing?
    It seemed like a weird move but it seems to be having positive effects. Money talks in the business world and now everyones going to take them much more seriously. They can enter most discussions with manufacturers in control now. Whereas before they would have had to beg a manufacturer to build stuff for them, I'm sure they're all falling over themselves to get a chunk of that 2 billion now. Facebook being established will give them much more credibility and it will be easier for them in just about every way.

I think we'll get a better product because of it. What will happen after the gaming rift comes out doesn't really bother me. I don't expect the thing to have intrusive advertising or any nasty surprises from facebook. Hopefully it's sped up development and we're going to get the final version much sooner than we would have otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The rumors a few weeks back seemed to be suggesting that the consumer version would be 2560p and aiming for a 100+ refresh rate. Just out of interest, anybody (or many) here with a PC capable of running Euro truck/Assetto Corsa or Skyrim (which are all supposed to implement OR quite well) at 100+ fps at this resolution!?

I find it hard to imagine that it will be released next year if very few people have the gear to run it properly.

Ordered my DK2 on the 20th, doubt ill be in the first batch somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Well its a bit pointless running those games at 2560p if the textures are a much lower resolution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The rumors a few weeks back seemed to be suggesting that the consumer version would be 2560p and aiming for a 100+ refresh rate. Just out of interest, anybody (or many) here with a PC capable of running Euro truck/Assetto Corsa or Skyrim (which are all supposed to implement OR quite well) at 100+ fps at this resolution!?

I find it hard to imagine that it will be released next year if very few people have the gear to run it properly.

2560p and 100hz is sheer madness. No way they'll do that, it'll be years before computers have the hardware to run that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2560p, jaysus, what resolution its going to be? or you mean 1440p which is 2560x1440?

2560p, jaysus, what resolution its going to be? or you mean 1440p which is 2560x1440?
    Yes, this is what i actually meant!

I know there is guys out there running this res on monitors, but realistically keeping FPS averaging in the 90-100 region seems like its going to be a while before the hardware you need to drive this thing becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yes, this is what i actually meant!

I know there is guys out there running this res on monitors, but realistically keeping FPS averaging in the 90-100 region seems like its going to be a while before the hardware you need to drive this thing becomes available.

Ah, right, my heart.... lol

1440p aint that bad and lets keep in mind Oculus is not launched. I bet its going to be at least one or two years at least. With lowered settings GPUs these days still can run that resolution, but in 2 years we will get a lot better GPUs. Let alone 8 series Nvidia out this Oct/Nov.

1440p should be almost enough, I am really a bit disappointed they made devkit 2.0 only 1080p.

Ah, right, my heart.... lol

1440p aint that bad and lets keep in mind Oculus is not launched. I bet its going to be at least one or two years at least. With lowered settings GPUs these days still can run that resolution, but in 2 years we will get a lot better GPUs. Let alone 8 series Nvidia out this Oct/Nov.

1440p should be almost enough, I am really a bit disappointed they made devkit 2.0 only 1080p.

Ah yeah, i know it can be run, but i reckon in 2 year time the GPU you will need for 1440p at 100 fps will still set you back 4-500 at least. Big outlay along with the rift. Im glad DK2 is 1080p, have a hope of running well with my current setup!

yup 1440 side by side rendering at 90Hz. It does sound unrealistic but funnily enough, some of the most immersive experiences were in games with simple graphics rather than ones with fancy effects. I think Dice mentioned something about that in an interview.

Also, they are using a fancy technique called time warping to reduce latency and increase frame rates. Basically if all is going well, each frame you see will more accurately reflect the position of your head in space (reduced latency). On top of that, if time warp realises that your GPU is not going to meet it's deadline for rendering the next frame, it instead takes the previous frame and warps it to match your head position (increases frame rate).

Watch at least the first 8 minutes of this video for an explanation:
    http://youtu.be/WvtEXMlQQtI

I run most of my games at 5040x1050 at 60+ fps close to max settings by the time the cv1 comes out top end hardware will match 1440p at 100fps.
    Euro truck Sim is heavily CPU bound and very unoptimized, even with dk1 @1050p my fps will drop to 45fps so that's going nowhere fast in terms of 1440p but they did say they are working on optimizations

I get over 120fps with AC and again CPU bound so won't go higher.

Can also lower settings, post processing adds latency anyway.

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Euro truck Sim is heavily CPU bound and very unoptimized, even with dk1 @1050p my fps will drop to 45fps so that's going nowhere fast in terms of 1440p but they did say they are working on optimizations
    That's dissapointing, I bought ETS2 and a wheel in anticipation of DK2 but didnt think that there would be any performance problems with it. I got AC too though so at least that sounds promising.

I guess ETS2 is like arma so perhaps an overclock on my CPU will help? Time to do some googling....

Advertisement