Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I run most of my games at 5040x1050 at 60+ fps close to max settings by the time the cv1 comes out top end hardware will match 1440p at 100fps.
    Euro truck Sim is heavily CPU bound and very unoptimized, even with dk1 @1050p my fps will drop to 45fps so that's going nowhere fast in terms of 1440p but they did say they are working on optimizations

I get over 120fps with AC and again CPU bound so won't go higher.

Can also lower settings, post processing adds latency anyway.

Ah yeah, but how much did your graphics set up cost!? And will a single mid to high end card in 2 year time match it!

Dont need all the bells and whistles anyways i guess, but like to play on medium or high possible, currently on a HD7970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

waveform wrote: »
    Well its a bit pointless running those games at 2560p if the textures are a much lower resolution.
    Nope, screen door reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

That's dissapointing, I bought ETS2 and a wheel in anticipation of DK2 but didnt think that there would be any performance problems with it. I got AC too though so at least that sounds promising.

I guess ETS2 is like arma so perhaps an overclock on my CPU will help? Time to do some googling....
    ahh dont worry, its not too bad in ETS2, that and HL2VR are my favourite rift experiences. I have my rift overclocked to 72Hz( 72FPS ) and its mostly 55FPS+ in ETS2, honestly its an absolutely fantastic experience. I dont think DK2 is going to run and worse tbh even with the higher rez.

Overclocking will help, im running my old i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz so if you have a newer CPU that overclocks better you should get higher FPS.
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but how much did your graphics set up cost!? And will a single mid to high end card in 2 year time match it!

Dont need all the bells and whistles anyways i guess, but like to play on medium or high possible, currently on a HD7970
    Ahhh, fair point, my 780Ti cost a cool 630euro lol, BUT i bought it specifically for VR/DK2. Could have easily went for an AMD 290X but the reference coolers were crap and i just wanted the most powerful card i could get.
    I had 2x6970's and SLI or Crossfire is crap for VR. It cost me 330euro from selling my old cards.
    In total since i built my rig over 5 years ago ive only really upgraded the gfx cards, Nvidia 260->5850( 30euro )->2x6970( 450euro )->780Ti( 330euro ).
    So ~800euro over 5 years but really 7 as the current card will do 2 years, so about 115euro on average a year, sounds expensive but youre getting top end gfx and if i was on console that would be swallowed up in the game price differences.

Anyways, gou advances are ~15% per year across the board( mid->high ), 25% usually when moving to a smaller nm process as we will get with Nvidias Maxwell series( excluding the 750 series ) and AMD's Pirate Island Bermuda cards. So my 780Ti will be matched by 200-250euro cards in 2 years.

7970 will be grand for DK2, its like anything, if you think the experience is worth it you may end up getting a top end card down the line just to improve the experience, thats what happened me with DK1.

Didnt expect such a rant lol.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Brian wrote: »
    Nope, screen door reduction.

The higher res can help with the screen door?
    cool,i havent used the a rift yet so i'm not fully sure what the screen door effect is.

Still though, only textures available in 1440p will use that resolution to the fullest.

I just tried Radial-G( from the creators of Extreme-G on consoles ) - basically a wipeout clone but set in the cockpit. Theres a free demo that supports the rift.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tammekagames/radial-g-a-high-octane-sci-fi-racer-for-the-vr-gen

I thought it was excellent, back to wipeout days but with the rift its a completely different experience. In case i was overhyping my buzz i asked the mrs to try and she said it was great fun playing it in the rift.

Backed it for £20, give it a try, well worth it.
    waveform wrote: »
    The higher res can help with the screen door?
    cool,i havent used the a rift yet so i'm not fully sure what the screen door effect is.

Still though, only textures available in 1440p will use that resolution to the fullest.
    The screen door effect is the visible black space between pixels that its very promminent in DK1( tbh i dont notice it so much, blur moreso ), less so in DK2.

The whole texture thing mentioned before, i dont understand the argument, texture rez has nothing to do with screen resolution other than the resolution of the texture must exceed the screen space occupied by the texture otherwise it will look blurry.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

ScumLord wrote: »
    It seemed like a weird move but it seems to be having positive effects. Money talks in the business world and now everyones going to take them much more seriously. They can enter most discussions with manufacturers in control now. Whereas before they would have had to beg a manufacturer to build stuff for them, I'm sure they're all falling over themselves to get a chunk of that 2 billion now. Facebook being established will give them much more credibility and it will be easier for them in just about every way.

I think we'll get a better product because of it. What will happen after the gaming rift comes out doesn't really bother me. I don't expect the thing to have intrusive advertising or any nasty surprises from facebook. Hopefully it's sped up development and we're going to get the final version much sooner than we would have otherwise.

Very good points here.. feels like a breath of fresh air on this thread after the mountain of negativity I have read through... hopefully it all goes smoothly and like you say we see the release abit earlier..

it was a surprise that Google did not try to buy them out, or are you aware that they were interested ? Too busy with there bots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The big problem with the Facebook deal was that it shattered the image that people had of the company. Up until then Oculus was a feel-good story about a plucky upstart that was revolutionising the games industry. I think we've gotten used to the sudden change in that image but it was a shock to the system for most people at the time.

As otheres have said, google or especially sony would have been worse as they might have absorbed the tech rather than letting them at it. I think the backlash has helped too as it might influence how Facebook will manage Oculus in the coming years.

I was more interested in the Deal Oculus did with Samsung to be honest. People said 1080p & 1440p smartphone screens were ridiculous but now we have a great use for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How much did you guys pay for DK2 including the customs etc?

$350 + $55 shipping + $93 tax so about €366 total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When people will get 2.0 ones? I would really like to hear people opinion on how much it is better and does 1080p make it at least playable?

• Advertisement

When people will get 2.0 ones? I would really like to hear people opinion on how much it is better and does 1080p make it at least playable?
    In the next few weeks, its not really 1080p though as it a pentile display, only the green pixels are 1080p, red and blue are half that

This is pretty close to how it looks:
    http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

The DK2 will have a low persistence option too so try turning that on and off in the demo. The 1080p option is similar to what the DK2 is meant to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The DK2 will have a low persistence option too so try turning that on and off in the demo. The 1080p option is similar to what the DK2 is meant to be.

Thats actually neat. I tried DK1 and it is a good representation, but it was a bit worse then that. 1080p one is still not even at remotly good level yet, but that persistence option is really making a big difference.

I've heard that low persistence will not work at 60Hz because the flicker becomes noticeable. That means you'll need to be running at the other two modes which are 72Hz and 75Hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That sort of seems disappointing, it's still quite pixelated even at 1440p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just to stick my name down, if any of you guys want to sell your DK2, I'm your man! Would also consider a DK1.

so it looks like none of the existing DK1 games/demos will work with the DK2 from a few comments on the official forum. Due to a change in the optics the warping will be off and screen addressing is rotated 90degrees.

So doesnt really matter if you get your DK2 in the next 2-3 weeks there will be very little content, booo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I imagine you won't have to wait too long, by the time August comes a good chunk, if not most, of those games and demos should be playable for DK2 once the authors get the SDK.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I imagine you won't have to wait too long, by the time August comes a good chunk, if not most, of those games and demos should be playable for DK2 once the authors get the SDK.
    I would say it will be September before most things have moved over to the new SDK. The main problem is they havn't released the SDK yet and until engines like UE4, Unity have the implementation there's nothing the devs can do. Also have to wait for Valve to release an update to support the new SDK.
    Im really really looking forward to trying HL2( and HL2VR ),Euro Truck Sim 2 and Assetto Corsa with the DK2.
    The reduced blur and slight resolution increase should make them a lot more playable.

On the EU orders CyberREality said
    @Ziggin: EU orders should ship from the UK I believe.
    link - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10044&start=440

I think that the important game devs have access to an early version of the SDK. Frontier developments said that they had DK2 working and that was during E3. oh, here's a handy list:

http://www.theriftarcade.com/oculus-rift-dk2-supported-games/
    I was just on the Oculus forums there and it looks like DK2 is supported with the current SDK but you don't get head tracking, low persistence and other stuff so basically any games that support DK2 now might only act like the DK1 with a higher resolution. That's a bit of a bummer since low persistence is meant to be a major step up:
    https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10121&p=131698#p131698
    But perhaps there will be some low persistence demos to try out.

As for shipping, when the DK1 was being processed from the UK you got an email with a tracking reference . You could enter this on the UPS website and it told you where the package was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone here tried Google cardboard yet?

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone here tried Google cardboard yet?
    Not easy to get the lenses and the lens spec that google gave wasn't exactly specific either. I'd like to try it but I think I'll wait for someone to sell kits at a cheap price that have been reviewed and compared with other kits. The durovis dive is another type but is a bit pricey for what it is

I was just on the Oculus forums there and it looks like DK2 is supported with the current SDK but you don't get head tracking, low persistence and other stuff so basically any games that support DK2 now might only act like the DK1 with a higher resolution. That's a bit of a bummer since low persistence is meant to be a major step up:
    https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10121&p=131698#p131698
    Sorry to quote myself but it appears that I was wrong and positional tracking is available to devs already as this update for Technolust explains:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisproductions/technolust-true-cyberpunk/posts/902578

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I keep hoping to see a dispatch email for my DK2. I ordered it in the first 3 hours so hopefully I get one soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

In the mean time you can check out this unboxing: http://www.roadtovr.com/early-oculus-rift-dk2-unboxing/

abbir wrote: »
    I keep hoping to see a dispatch email for my DK2. I ordered it in the first 3 hours so hopefully I get one soon!
    most likely other regions will be getting dispatch emails first( and in order from the first orders ) so you'll know from reddit/official forums when they start going out and when you should start expecting a dispatch email( i.e. i wouldnt even bother until others start getting theirs ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

lmimmfn wrote: »
    most likely other regions will be getting dispatch emails first( and in order from the first orders ) so you'll know from reddit/official forums when they start going out and when you should start expecting a dispatch email( i.e. i wouldnt even bother until others start getting theirs ).

I know. It's not as if I'm constantly checking my email. I'm also not following the oculus forum or any reddit threads. I still hope to see a pop up on my screen about new mail message and it being from Oculus.

abbir wrote: »
    I know. It's not as if I'm constantly checking my email. I'm also not following the oculus forum or any reddit threads. I still hope to see a pop up on my screen about new mail message and it being from Oculus.
    haha, from experience of waiting for my DK1 delivery last April/May the wait is hell :), i just hope i get mine by the end of the first week of August when i go on holidays for a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I sent it to my parents address (as im not normally home), so i dont have the waiting anxiety as i know it will be august before i spin home again!

Advertisement