Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Mine is due tomorrow too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Scheduled Delivery:
    Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later.

I think it might be because over on the right handside it shows "shipping info To: <streetname>"rather than my town or county

I guess it may not come into Shannon for me so, damn Ireland and its lack of postcodes!
    strange, mine is showing "Shipping to" my town rather than street address. Im suprised it doesnt show the whole address.

Looks like it will be just in time for the Elite beta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Looks like it will be just in time for the Elite beta :)
    I hate to sound so negative but a lot of devs are waiting for an updated SDK 0.4.x before releasing a version compiled for DK2 because Oculus radically changed a lot of things and still havent fixed some of the problems that those changes brought.

Some demos and games which were compiled for DK2 using SDK 0.3.x will work but you have to disable some components of the 0.4 runtime to force the games to use 0.3 tracking etc. The current version of elite needs this workaround and I'm not sure if Frontier are going to add support for a dodgy version of SDK 0.4 when they release Beta 1. I'm sure that they'll try though since they have been very generous and good at meeting dealines so far

yeah i know it'll be a pain to get working but its dooable so thats what matters, as with DK1, for a while everything will annoying to setup and get working.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Finally got the shipping mail

• Advertisement

Mines in dublin woohoo lol

same

must be travelling buddies lol

That track pack app you reccomended was handy for the tip-off. Hopefully ours will escape during the night

yeah, its become my Oculus Rift tracking app now haha.

going by last years DK1 delivery:
    24/05/2013 21:29 Import Scan, Dublin
    27/05/2013 04:51 Import Scan, Dublin
    27/05/2013 04:51 Destination Scan
    27/05/2013 04:51 Out For Delivery
    27/05/2013 12:36 Delivered

07/28/2014 11:16 P.M. Import Scan

Id say it would arrive at lunchtime tomorrow.

protip If you have any logitech processes especially KHALMNPR.exe running, kill them before plugging the USB( or kill them and unplug/replug the rifts USB cable back in ) in as it prevents tracking from working in the rift

Dont want to be spamming the Elite thread with rift stuff but i got Elite working with SDK4 and DK1( i.e. back on SDK3 compatibility ), based on getting the DK2 tomorrow:
    1. Its bloody hot using the rift and the weather we have
    2. its going to be very tough on gfx cards, i had to reduce the Shadows to medium to get a constant 71FPS @ 1680x1050

• Advertisement

The framerate problem should be helped a lot by the Timewarp technique...hopefully Frontier will have had time to get it working

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Jaysus I'm jealous!..(and I have the DK1).

^^lol

.............and my DK2 just arrived. Now to go to work, boo

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Ordered on 19th 9:56 and the Oculus site has it down as 'processing' since last Friday... No idea when I'll get it... Really bloody annoying exp since people with later order times seem to have got them already.

spark1976 wrote: »
    Ordered on 19th 9:56 and the Oculus site has it down as 'processing' since last Friday... No idea when I'll get it... Really bloody annoying exp since people with later order times seem to have got them already.
    i would say you'll either get it today or get a UPS tracking email today and have it delivered tomorrow. Just going by how they seem to have batched them, ~08:30-09:00( processing early thursday - delivery yesterday ), 09:00-9:30( processing late thursday/~2am friday morning - delivery today ) and 09:30-10:00( processing friday morning/afternoon - delivery tomorrow )

Just a guess lol, but deliveries in the UK seem to have been batched that way with them recieving their batches a day or 2 after processing ).

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i would say you'll either get it today or get a UPS tracking email today and have it delivered tomorrow. Just going by how they seem to have batched them, ~08:30-09:00( processing early thursday - delivery yesterday ), 09:00-9:30( processing late thursday/~2am friday morning - delivery today ) and 09:30-10:00( processing friday morning/afternoon - delivery tomorrow )

Just a guess lol, but deliveries in the UK seem to have been batched that way with them recieving their batches a day or 2 after processing ).

Hope you're right, and I get a suprise delivery! I had Thursday to today off work for a break and was hoping it might come, back to work tomorrow :-( as long as it comes before the bank holiday weekend...... Also have a 780Ti arriving Thursday...

Just an email est delivery says tomorrow :P

What time did you order?

What time did you order?

9:36

processing Friday morning and got the shipping email yesterday morning

20 mins earlier, oh well, when it comes it comes... Lost in the black hole of ups deliveries!

• Advertisement

20 mins earlier, oh well, when it comes it comes... Lost in the black hole of ups deliveries!

Just scanned in Dublin. So should be tomorrow hopefully your's is with it spark1976

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iloctus

i seriously doubt it Squidwert. Cyberreality on the oculus forums just posted

"From what I understand, it was just an issue with getting tracking numbers. Your package may have actually shipped already without any problem. It's just that you can't track it until we get the list of tracking numbers out to people."

Calling bull**** on that, cos if that was the case the UK guys would have got their rifts in that time frame. And with bank holiday looming, i dont think it will turn up till next week...f**king pissed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

iloctus wrote: »
    i seriously doubt it Squidwert. Cyberreality on the oculus forums just posted

"From what I understand, it was just an issue with getting tracking numbers. Your package may have actually shipped already without any problem. It's just that you can't track it until we get the list of tracking numbers out to people."

Calling bull**** on that, cos if that was the case the UK guys would have got their rifts in that time frame. And with bank holiday looming, i dont think it will turn up till next week...f**king pissed!

Wow, you waited six years (possibly to the day!) between joining and your first post!

So does anybody know what will work out of the box with this, with all the talk of new sdks etc.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Wow, you waited six years (possibly to the day!) between joining and your first post!

So does anybody know what will work out of the box with this, with all the talk of new sdks etc.
    Most things should work that worked with dk1 at least 0.3sdk compatible stuff, anything that implemented positional tracking from SDK 0.3 will of course have positional tracking. In both cases however you have to use the workaround. Anything supporting 0.4 SDK is better as no fiddling with screen setups plus should be smoother.

Will report back with a list of stuff that works/doesn't work if anyone's interested

ill give a quick first impressions.
    Heres my background so you have an idea where im coming from( i think this is important in terms of what i percieve as acceptable ):
    Gaming since ~'82, had an Amstrad CPC464, Amiga 500,1200,2000, PS1, PS2, PC, PS3 and numerous upgraded PC's. Ive also come from a hell of a lot of DK1 use, was overclocked to 72Hz so blur wasnt as bad as with non OC'd version. What i say below is mainly coming from DK1->DK2 and the differences.

General:
    As it stands bar minor issues this is pretty close to a consumer model. Theres enough graphical fidelity for pretty much every genre of game to be playable. Consumer version will need a resolution boost definately.

Pros:
    - My god the colours are fantastic, bright and crisp
    - next to no motion blur is fantastic, this is like going from wearing the wrong glasses to wearing the correct ones. The low persistence means you can now track objects as you pan your view which is amazing( may not seem amazing to others but if you've followed the tech is not that easy lol ).
    - positional tracking is great, works completely as expected.
    - Screen door, this is pretty subjective, loads complained about this on DK1, but i guarantee you anyone that owned a DK1 and used it regularly didnt see the problem. Basically if you get immersed in a game you're focusing on the game visuals( i mean your eyes are focused on the 3D visuals presented ) not getting your eyes to focus on a flat 2D panel about an inch from your face, which you can if you want but if you do so you're not really interested in the game.
    Screen door in DK2 is greatly reduced, its tiny and is like a very thin diamond mesh strapped to your face( if you focus on that rather than the game ).
    - new SDK direct mode is brilliant when available and is a big step forward in terms of ease of use.

Cons( i want to stress that i consider a lot of this stuff very minor in terms of what i think of DK2 ).
    - not sure if this is just an issue with the sitting at the table demo but i was very disappointed in the transition of positional tracking to non positional tracking when i looked behind me and then moved to look forward. One of the major wow factors of DK1 was being able to look behind you. I didnt have this issue in Elite Dangerous though so could just be an SDK/demo issue( may double check this in Elite tonight ). Its definitely only a software issue.
    - content wise im pretty pissed that they changed so much going from SDK 0.25->0.3. Tonnes of stuff are now incompatible. I'm sure there will be updates to the important stuff but i think its seriously annoying that they didn't keep compatibility.
    - annoying that DK2 is extended rather than being able to clone the DK1 view as primary as was possible with the DK1( this is only a backwards compatible issue, and making the extended DK2 primary isint as annoying as DK1 due to the higher rez and changed optics you can actually launch stuff from windows on the DK2 screen - not great but a lot easier )
    - a bit awkward to get older stuff running unless you know how( added below ).
    - the FOV is a tad lower, tbh its not that much lower and i think more is being made of the lowering of the FOV than warrants the attention. I noticed it the first time trying the desk demo but gaming i quickly forgot about these slight black lines on either side of your vision.

Ok so now a rundown of things i tried:

Euro Truck Sim 2 - not working, based on old 2.5SDK, they say theyre waiting for DK2's - annoying as its my top DK1 game

Half Life 2/Team Fortress 2/Steam VR mode - broken, they havnt updated to SDK 0.3 surprisingly

Redframe demo - not working, uses old SDK - annoying as this is visually one of the best experiences in DK1

Radial G - no positional tracking( has head tracking though ), but its not needed and its absolutely fantastic in DK2, so much better than DK1 because of the low persistence you can stare at say a sign and follow it as it passes by you, which basically means you can take in a lot of the visuals as they pass by. This wasnt really possible in DK1.

Elite Dangerous - by far the showcase of what DK2 can do, the resolution and low persistence of DK2 really show that space sims are possible and are fantastic experiences in VR. I played this on DK1 last night, anyone familiar with it and the SP missions will know the first mission.
    With DK1 i couldn't determine if i had locks on the targets so i spent about an hour fecking around shooting at things( on a regular monitor completed it in a few mins ).With DK2 i could read everything, and completed the first SP mission in the same time as a regular monitor.
    However with DK2, in later missions, its an absolute joy to track enemies by looking above your cockpit and behind and pulling your ship around to where your head is facing. Overall a fantastic experience.
    Note: I will say i had graphical glitches with this, they affected the visuals which isin't 100% of what VR is about, i'm not sure if its with the new beta update or an issue with the True Black. basically everything was tinted a tad green but i had fixed blotches in 3D space that were completely black. Sounds like a game glitch to me,, but i need to investigate more.

War Thunder Works out of the box in 0.3 compatibility mode( no positional tracking though just head tracking ). This looked amazing in DK1 but was unplayable due to the low resolution and not being able to properly see planes at a distance( even with tonnes of AA ). Now with the higher rez this game is perfectly playable. I spent a few hours wtih it on DK1, never shot anything down. Spent 5 mins with it in DK2 and shot down 2 planes and then i got shot down. It looks great, i couldn't get positional tracking working( doubt it works, maybe when opentrack is updated to SDK 0.4 it might be possible ). Otherwise though very enjoyable in DK2 and hey its free :) and they've said they will update it 'soon'

Summary:
    - wife says "i like this one much more than your older one" lol
    - i think its at a state where its now completely usable in gaming.
    - i think its really great, just need demos/games/etc updated to use the Direct mode.

IMPORTANT: How to get older SDK0.3 stuff running( from a post on reddit )
    Make sure you update the firmware.
    Test using the small room demo and / or oculus world using direct mode.
    If they work, calibrate your IPD and tracking zone using the config app and small room. I find putting the

camera on the back wall and moving the desk forward allows for more wiggle room.
    If everything is cool, switch to extended mode inside the config app. For the moment keep the monitor set

to primary.
    Not sure about AMD, but for NVIDIA cards you will need to change the orientation of the screen, so that it

appears the correct way round. This can be done in the NVIDIA control panel. Whilst you are in there, create a

3d settings profile for ED and set antialiasing and triple buffering to on.
    Lastly in the NVIDIA control panel, set the Rift refresh rate to 75 hz.
    Ok now open up the oculus config file again and hit Ctrl , Alt and Del. in task manager, close wscrip.exe and

ovservice.exe in processes.
    If its NOT Elite Dangerous you are wanting to play at this point, you will need to set the rift now as the

primary monitor. If its Elite Dangerous you want, just open the game.
    In options / graphics make sure the refresh rate is set to 75 hz and v sync is on. Switch to oculus mode and

set display to secondary monitor.
    Once in game, lean back in your chair and hit F12 to reset the rift and avoid clipping. If you are still not

happy, move your desk away from the wall and reset again. (Assuming you have the camera mounted in the

wall behind the desk.)
    Done

*If you are getting a message saying oculus service not available, go to your oculus folder and open the inside

the services folderovrservice_x86 or x64. Then open the config.exe inside the tools folder.

it's also worth mentioning that its worth spending some time setting up your IPD and playing with the lens

distance (via the screws on the sides of the rift)... Especially if things seems overly blurry.

Sorry for the long post.

*EDIT* - added last game of the night - War Thunder.
    *EDIT 2* - Damn i shouldnt write so much early in the morning with all the typos etc. hopefully fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Great read! ^^

I got my rift at 2 o clock yesterday but haven't been able to get my computer to recognize it :( There seems to be a few with the same problem on the official forums https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11200&sid=ea30ca87518992ba0ea4175745e3777a

A few on that thread tried their rifts on a different computer and got the exact same results so i hope its not a hardware problem. This sucks more than waiting for the shipping email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great review thanks.

So how long until DK3/Consumer version? :D

Version 1.3 of Radial-G beta is out in case you were still using v1.2 from the kickstarter page: https://twitter.com/Radial_G/status/494207140165582848

Also, the Oculus Service manager on the oculus subreddit makes running v0.3 apps a bit easier. I also hope they release an updated version of Euro Truck Simulator soon even though I've never played it and Couch Knights might be another thing to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Is there a demo or something to try out Elite Dangerous? I am not sure my computer is capable of getting the best out of it (nor the DK2 to be honest) but don't want to shell out €60 to find out.

• Advertisement

Min requirements at the bottom of this page but I doubt this spec would get 75FPS stereo rendering for DK2:
    http://elite.frontier.co.uk/about/
    Is your spec that bad? Are you planning to upgrade?

Advertisement