Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Min requirements at the bottom of this page but I doubt this spec would get 75FPS stereo rendering for DK2:
    http://elite.frontier.co.uk/about/
    Is your spec that bad? Are you planning to upgrade?

speccy.png

Work PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Great read! ^^

I got my rift at 2 o clock yesterday but haven't been able to get my computer to recognize it :( There seems to be a few with the same problem on the official forums https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11200&sid=ea30ca87518992ba0ea4175745e3777a

A few on that thread tried their rifts on a different computer and got the exact same results so i hope its not a hardware problem. This sucks more than waiting for the shipping email :(
    I would say its a software issue, how far did you get( theres several levels, screen, positional tracking and camera )?
    - did you plug everything in correctly?( i used the power for the camera box just in case )
    - did the SDK install correctly?( i had errors the first time, fixed it and reinstalled the SDK )
    - did you manage to update the firmware?
    - did you look at the known issues? - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3146
    e.g. Logitech software used to prevent the positional tracking from working, dont think i had that issue last night but disabled the logitech software anyway.

The screen wont be visible in windows unless you select the Extended option in the config util, but you should try that first( if you can select the option based on how far you got ).

The SDK is a bit of a hack job in terms of the config and seperate service, im sure they were rushed but if its not detecting the rift( i.e. its grey in the config ) and everything is plugged in as expected then its probably the OVRService not running or kill it along with wscript.exe and restart it from the Oculus directory and see if that works.

Brian wrote: »
    Work PC.
    That spec is fine for Elite Dangerous( better CPU than me :) ), youll have to turn some things down though( even with a 780Ti im using medium shadows but thats my only compromise and its smooth as butter )

btw, eew Dell lol

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I would say its a software issue, how far did you get( theres several levels, screen, positional tracking and camera )?
    - did you plug everything in correctly?( i used the power for the camera box just in case )
    - did the SDK install correctly?( i had errors the first time, fixed it and reinstalled the SDK )
    - did you manage to update the firmware?
    - did you look at the known issues? - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3146
    e.g. Logitech software used to prevent the positional tracking from working, dont think i had that issue last night but disabled the logitech software anyway.

The screen wont be visible in windows unless you select the Extended option in the config util, but you should try that first( if you can select the option based on how far you got ).

The SDK is a bit of a hack job in terms of the config and seperate service, im sure they were rushed but if its not detecting the rift( i.e. its grey in the config ) and everything is plugged in as expected then its probably the OVRService not running or kill it along with wscript.exe and restart it from the Oculus directory and see if that works.

Ive tried everything i can think of. The light is consistently orange, the configuration utility does not see the device at all, i had to force the firmware update but its still the same. Everything is plugged in where its supposed to be. There's numerous people on the forums with the same problem, i'll just have to keep reading and tinkering :)

Thanks for taking the time anyway :)

Ahh no worries :)

Theres rumours that the latest project cars has DK2 support, might check it tonight, havnt launched it in ages.

• Advertisement

Ahh no worries :)

Theres rumours that the latest project cars has DK2 support, might check it tonight, havnt launched it in ages.

Rub it in anyway.......:P

Rub it in anyway.......:P
    lol, dont worry, id say you'll get it working tonight, everyone has had the grey config/rift not detected, its a common issue, even if you get it working it can go back to not detected. Even Cymatic Bruce on his live stream had everything working then bam, not detected( lol, its a good watch actually ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCuXFgjV0DM&list=UUhQx9wj3OQX5VQd4gK9NKsw

btw is your config utility running really slow?, maybe youre having the same problems as this guy - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2bt4er/after_5_hours_of_trying_finally_got_my_dk2_fully/

On PCars, YESSSSS, i just checked it was released a day or so ago( with SDK 0.4 support ), im only a junior member so only get a new build the first friday of each month......and thats this Friday, woohoo :)

OMG OMG OMG Euro Truck Sim 2 has DK2 support as of 13mins ago
    First version compatible with DK2 is now available in the oculus beta branch. Please note that this version requires the "Extend Desktop to the HMD" mode and will not work with the Direct HMD access mode.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/discussions/0/648814844007204502/#p12

Cant wait to try this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Is there a way to clone the rift with my projector. When cloned one is either in landscape mode or the other, I cant get them to match.

Squidwert wrote: »
    Is there a way to clone the rift with my projector. When cloned one is either in landscape mode or the other, I cant get them to match.
    Clone doesn't work for 0.3 SDK, only extended. You can clone the main display to the projector for direct mode should work but hardly anything is using 0.4 SDK. The reason they removed clone is because it introduces latency on the gfx card.

• Advertisement

Clone doesn't work for 0.3 SDK, only extended. You can clone the main display to the projector for direct mode should work but hardly anything is using 0.4 SDK. The reason they removed clone is because it introduces latency on the gfx card.

ok cool still figuring how to get demo's to work properly. ETS2 tonight:D

For demos, run in extended mode, generally you have to set the rift as the primary display though( except Elite Dangerous ).
    Also you need to have the config tool open but kill wscript and OVRService( in that order ). Then launch the game( awkward from the rift screen but dooable for the meantime until they have 0.4 SDK direct mode ).

*EDIT* ETS2 works just by having extended in the config util, theres no messing around with screens, just launch the game.

For demos, run in extended mode, generally you have to set the rift as the primary display though( except Elite Dangerous ).
    Also you need to have the config tool open but kill wscript and OVRService( in that order ). Then launch the game( awkward from the rift screen but dooable for the meantime until they have 0.4 SDK direct mode ).

*EDIT* ETS2 works just by having extended in the config util, theres no messing around with screens, just launch the game.

I could just get some simple demo's working tonight :( I'll try again tomorrow. Also when in the demos my head is where my chest is. I tried to calibrate but got the same results

I could just get some simple demo's working tonight :( I'll try again tomorrow. Also when in the demos my head is where my chest is. I tried to calibrate but got the same results
    Did you set you height in the oculus config, and set it to sitting when you're running the desk config?

I finally got it working(ish). I had to use my own hdmi cable and plug it straight into the rift, bypassing the small box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Little bit worried about my delivery, it's reverted from "out for delivery" to "Scanned in at Dublin, you live in the arse end of nowhere". The three entries pertaining to it heading out for delivery have completely disappeared.

The delivery address on the right is showing up as [TOWNNAME],IE. Is that correct or should it be the full address?

I finally got it working(ish). I had to use my own hdmi cable and plug it straight into the rift, bypassing the small box.
    ummmm the HDMI cable is never supposed to go to the small box, only the USB from the camera, synch from the camera and power cable if you use the USB socket on the rift.

ummmm the HDMI cable is never supposed to go to the small box, only the USB from the camera, synch from the camera and power cable if you use the USB socket on the rift.

There's a skinny hdmi comming out of the little box, that goes into the pc??

Little bit worried about my delivery, it's reverted from "out for delivery" to "Scanned in at Dublin, you live in the arse end of nowhere". The three entries pertaining to it heading out for delivery have completely disappeared.

The delivery address on the right is showing up as [TOWNNAME],IE. Is that correct or should it be the full address?

Just town name!

Ring them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry Im really struggling to see the Rift-projector connection, what are you doing?

^^ lol, well called, nothing like warped headset image on a 100" projector screen lol
    There's a skinny hdmi comming out of the little box, that goes into the pc??
    im trying to remember off the top of my head, theres a hdmi cable and usb coming from the box which plug into the pc. The box has 3 input connections, 1 mini usb, 1 synch and a power connector( if you are plugging stuff into the USB connector on the headset like a webcam or whatever ). The camera should have a mini usb connection plugged into the box along with the synch cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry Im really struggling to see the Rift-projector connection, what are you doing?
    I'm assuming he just wants to be able to show what he see's to other people.

Thargor wrote: »

lol try not to struggle too much. Just looking to clone what the projector/monitor is doing.

^^ lol, well called, nothing like warped headset image on a 100" projector screen lol

im trying to remember off the top of my head, theres a hdmi cable and usb coming from the box which plug into the pc. The box has 3 input connections, 1 mini usb, 1 synch and a power connector( if you are plugging stuff into the USB connector on the headset like a webcam or whatever ). The camera should have a mini usb connection plugged into the box along with the synch cable.

Yeah thats right. But what i had to do, was not use the hdmi that came out of the small box. I plugged my own HDMI from my pc to the headset itself (under the front cover). That was the only way the computer would recognize it. There was loads with the same problem and then somebody came up with that fix.

I ordered my new rig yesterday so i'm gonna leave elite dangerous till it arrives. Are you using a controller or joystick for it?

Yeah thats right. But what i had to do, was not use the hdmi that came out of the small box. I plugged my own HDMI from my pc to the headset itself (under the front cover). That was the only way the computer would recognize it. There was loads with the same problem and then somebody came up with that fix.

I ordered my new rig yesterday so i'm gonna leave elite dangerous till it arrives. Are you using a controller or joystick for it?
    ahh ok,i get you now, strange, be sure the hdmi cable is the same length as the one that came with the rift as the do say in the manual the length/cable has low interference and not to extend it.

Im using a crappy cheapo 3D logitech joystick( about 30 euro ), its functional and decent enough.
    Dont use a controller though, you want an immersive experience with the rift and the controller would just be rubbish.
    As a minimum get a logitech 3D joystick. Im going to pick up an decent HOTAS when im back from my holidays just to get the best experience.

No point having a great VR experience with a gimped controller lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It doesn't look like it's going to get there, unfortunately. I played their demo and it was very nice, probably the best looking I've seen in terms of clean graphics and smoothness, but it seems like their deadline is poorly timed considering how few people will have DK2s when it closes.

Brian wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it's going to get there, unfortunately. I played their demo and it was very nice, probably the best looking I've seen in terms of clean graphics and smoothness, but it seems like their deadline is poorly timed considering how few people will have DK2s when it closes.

Yeah i was surprised how smooth this was, and its a shame it wont be funded but they've said already they've a few more options to look at so hopefully it gets made.

1:32 is my fastest lap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Well i got my rift yesterday started at 7pm and didn't go to bed till six something in the morning :/ much to the wives annoyance :) I'm probably a jaded gamer been playing since the Atari days and i can say i've not been impressed with a piece of tech in such a long long time. The initial period of figuring out the monitor setups etc was a bit of a mess, the drivers need to improve big time which they will do. Eventually tried a few demos Technolust stands out. Then tried Elite Dangerous, it really is incredible, it gives a sense of scale everything is huge, dont think i could go back to playing it on a monitor now :/

FOV is a small bit noticable, but youre so immersed that you just completely forget about it. Screen door effect is the same...some demos are better than others, low pixels is initially jarring a little bit but soon become used to them and you dont even notice them eventually. The head tracking is ridiclous perfect 1:1, what you do it mimics perfectly. the level of immersion is just fantastic, you really are in the game so to speak!

Seriously impressed as a first time DK2 user.

Advertisement