Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So how much of an improvement resolution is? Is it noticably better or still "need better screen"?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

I've no idea how it was in DK1 so cna't tell how much of an improvement it is. Its close but not quite there tbh for a finished product, but like i said it doens't bother me at all. Its like you turn on an older game on your pc and first thing you do is go urgh, textures and resolution look crap... then you start playing and get immersed and then both are grand they dont bother you anymore...its just an adjustment of how you remember seeing things... you go away and come back and the textures and res are all good.

I have to say again, its incredible in Elite Dangerous...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

So how much of an improvement resolution is? Is it noticably better or still "need better screen"?
    Massive improvement over DK1. Games are fully playable now, you can read text now and with positional tracking you can lean forward to read displays etc.

Its always going to be a case of needs a better screen though, when it has a 1440p screen people will be longing for a 4k screen then 8k etc. But as it stands its completely functional.

The no blur and quality of the panel are huge improvements. The contrast is amazing and makes my monitors look crap by comparison lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Finally got mine! Bit of panic when the e-mail came through saying it had been delivered but nobody had actually received it. Turns out the driver thought it okay to just dump the package on a windowsill.

Finally got mine! Bit of panic when the e-mail came through saying it had been delivered but nobody had actually received it. Turns out the driver thought it okay to just dump the package on a windowsill.
    Lucky it wasn't today, it would be destroyed in this rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can not wait to play HL2 on this, that was my favourite DK1 experience by far.

Technolust looks impressive too, from watching videos of it in the Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

what is the full price including shipping for the DK2?

Thanks

kingtiger wrote: »
    what is the full price including shipping for the DK2?

Thanks
    Around 362euro delivered

@Brian, yeah HL2 was one of my favorite dk1 experiences, well to be specific the HL2VR mod with razor hydras. I would imagine with the extra rez it will be stunning

Brian wrote: »
    Can not wait to play HL2 on this, that was my favourite DK1 experience by far.

Technolust looks impressive too, from watching videos of it in the Rift.

So when you getting DK2 so m8? I want a spin in it! :D

@lmimmfn Its nice to hear. So it is playable with DK2? DK1 was fun as actual technology, but it was impossible to actually play. In Asseto Corsa you could not even see next turn.

@lmimmfn Its nice to hear. So it is playable with DK2? DK1 was fun as actual technology, but it was impossible to actually play. In Asseto Corsa you could not even see next turn.
    Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. Dk1 was a tech showcase and was amazing for what it was. DK2 on the other hand with the improvements makes everything playable, at least from what I tried, elite, euro truck 2. There are a few setup issues which if you know dk1 you'll be used to, as it stands though DK2 just feels like normal gaming on a PC in terms of not being handicapped.

Agree on Assetto Corsa being impossible for tight corners on dk1, it doesn't have dk2 support yet though and they're concentrating on gfx post processing at the moment so I don't expect dk2 support for a month at least.

Gonna try project cars to night with dk2, will report back( for me assetto corsa always had better physics and force feedback, but haven't tried pcars in over 6 months. Let's see...... )

• Advertisement

Ok so tried PCars, calibrated wheel and pedels.
    Game is still as $hit as ever when it comes to FFB. Ment for a controller, waste of time with a wheel. With a wheel there is next to no corrospondance between whats happenen on screen and what you feel in the wheel. Screen is shaking like crazy but the wheel is completely static, spin out, absolutely no opposite tug on the wheel, 0, in fact nothing really happens with the wheel ever other than applying a constant weight to it.
    So didnt even bother in the rift.

Very very disappointed with the game, looks stunning, plays like junk with a wheel. Looks like im not the only one( i posted there also mainly because of how disguisted i am, i cant believe its still so **** after all these years of dev. ) - http://www.reddit.com/r/pcars/comments/2bsd97/force_feedback/

Need Assetto Corsa to support DK2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I've got it, but hardly anything works with it right now unless you want to shell out for Technolust (€20) or Elite: Dangerous (€60). I'd say give it a few weeks and it'll be worth trying out!

Brian wrote: »
    I've got it, but hardly anything works with it right now unless you want to shell out for Technolust (€20) or Elite: Dangerous (€60). I'd say give it a few weeks and it'll be worth trying out!

:D
    iamwaiting_lef9id4c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aidan959

Hi, I'm thinking of buying an Oculus Rift, but how would much would it come to? I'm in Dublin. Thanks

aidan959 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying an Oculus Rift, but how would much would it come to? I'm in Dublin. Thanks
    your answer is about 5 or 10 posts up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aidan959

lmimmfn wrote: »
    your answer is about 5 or 10 posts up :)
    Does that include import tax and VAT do you know?

aidan959 wrote: »
    Does that include import tax and VAT do you know?
    Yes its everything. There's no import tax as it comes from the UK

After spending more time with ED while it's amazing I'm not so sure if it's possible to play the game this way due to motion sickness.

I get a bit nauseated after 30-40 minutes on it, not sure if It's due to the framerate or whatever . Does anyone know how to get the fps to display in the rift?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Download FRAPS or Dxtory trial and run them while playing. They can display FPS in the corner of the screen if the option is selected.

It's on the top left where you can't see big but domeone on the developers forums mentioned unscrewing the lenses so you can see... Thanks

• Advertisement

Ok just checked my framerate outside of the station its a constant 75+ inside it drops to the 60's. i dont think the frame rate is causing my motion sickness..maybe i just need to get my "vr legs" or something. If anyone can chime in about how they dealt with motion sickness i'd love to hear what they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

So tempted to order one but the wait would kill me :/

How long did everyone else's take?

sept/oct would be a guess if you order it now.

spark1976 wrote: »
    Ok just checked my framerate outside of the station its a constant 75+ inside it drops to the 60's. i dont think the frame rate is causing my motion sickness..maybe i just need to get my "vr legs" or something. If anyone can chime in about how they dealt with motion sickness i'd love to hear what they did...
    You really need to be getting a constant 75+ to keep motion sickness at bay. Luckily i dont really get motion sickness, when i got DK1 i spent 5 hours playing HL2 lol.
    Although Just Cause 2 with a 3 monitor display and using the harpoon going up mountains makes me feel ill so dont know why thats different( the only game i have ever played that makes me feel ill ).
    I did feel ill with some DK1 demo at some stage but only because the FPS were all over the place and it had head bobbing.

I would say the best thing to do is play for 30 mins, take a 10 minute break and another 30 minute stint etc.

MSI Afterburner lets you capture the FPS to file, might be good to analyze afterwards to see if you had any large dips.

Hmmmmm thanks for that. i'll look into MSI afterburner and see what i get. i can imagine as time goes on the sdk will improve and games will improve so its a kind of waiting game atm for this.

I've always been susceptible to spinning movements one spinning fairground ride and i'm done for the day.. :/ I'll try the 30/10 suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

People recommend that you use triple buffering to reduce input lag with vsync. For nvidia, you have to create a profile for Elite dangerous and set it there.
    VR sickness is hard to predict though. A friend of mine who had no problem playing HL2 on the DK1 for several hours could not stand even a few seconds of Cyberspace on DK2 whereas I am the opposite.

People recommend that you use triple buffering to reduce input lag with vsync. For nvidia, you have to create a profile for Elite dangerous and set it there.
    VR sickness is hard to predict though. A friend of mine who had no problem playing HL2 on the DK1 for several hours could not stand even a few seconds of Cyberspace on DK2 whereas I am the opposite.
    Triple buffering increases lag though and its pretty much useless when used with vsynch. Triple buffering is a great alternative to vsynch for regular gaming as it removes tearing without limiting frame rate to the displays frame rate or limiting to 30 or 60fps in some engines.

With dk1 I rarely used vsynch or triple buffering as both introduce lag. Its not really possible to use dk2 without vsynch though as the screen updates vertically so it looks worse when it tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Seems to be some contradictory information out there. From what I gathered vsync + triple buffering results in the lowest latency if you have to use vsync. Also, triple buffering does nothing if vsync is disabled. I might be wrong but that's what I've seen repeated on different sites and forums but I've seen one or two people say that triple buffering is bad...so I dunno :D Maybe there's a differnece in how it works in OpenGL vs Directx

Yeah it depends on the card, nvidia control panel tripple buffering is opengl only, you can use D3Overrider to enable it in directx, and use radeonpro for amd cards. It does introduce lag though as normally it double buffering with vsynch, with triple buffering it has to render an extra frame, so what you see on screen is 3 frames old, for 60fps that's 48milliseconds old data.

*EDIT* Stupid tablet autocorrect

• Advertisement

I just played for an hour no sickness of any kind...its just gone. i dunno.. i'm almost embarrassed to admit what i did was put a bit of the wife's lavender in the room, i know it sounds crazy but someone on oculus developers forums mentioned it and i was hunting for it in the drawers in the bathroom... LOL!

ridiculous...but.. i had a hour without feeling anything...

Advertisement