Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm not going to argue over triple buffering since I don't know enough about it but it seemed to make a big difference for me and lots are recommending it.

I just spent an hour trading in E: D with the DK2 and it was amazing although I had to use an xbox 360 controller to navigate the galaxy map as the mouse and X52 didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

How would the oculus fair for people that are blind in one eye ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

BeerWolf wrote: »
    How would the oculus fair for people that are blind in one eye ?
    its grand, i have a lazy eye so im stereoblind, what you see in the rift is what you would just see normally
    I just spent an hour trading in E: D with the DK2 and it was amazing although I had to use an xbox 360 controller to navigate the galaxy map as the mouse and X52 didnt work.
    i still havnt got around to playing it online, going through the SP missions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm finally off "pending" and into "processing" :P. I missed the first batch but they've now charged my card so at least I know I'm getting one in the next batch.

Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do games like Elite Dangerous seem fully playable in the Rift these days? Do you plan on completing it in the Rift when it comes out I mean or will it be too severe and just used for quick blasts in between normal desktop play?

same question for FPS games like Half Life 2...

• Advertisement

Elite: Dangerous in the Rift DK2 is a whole new level of immersion in games and that is no exaggeration. Add a good joystick/throttle with lots of buttons and you don't need to use the keyboard at all. I do use an xbox 360 controller just for navigating the galaxy map when picking trade routes but I don't have to remove the rift at any stage. I would not go back to playing Elite any other way now and if you get a chance to try it you will see that this is not just a fad.

On the other hand, while Elite: Dangerous is way ahead of the other rift experiences there are not many other games out there that work as well so I cannot say that it is proven tech or worth buying just yet. FPS games like HL2 (not DK2 compatible yet) might not be as comfortable to play since you control a character that is walking and running around as opposed to sitting down in a cockpit. Driving games should work well too although not a lot support the DK2 yet. In the coming weeks and months there will be more games supporting it so wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats good news, and we'll have No Mans Sky and StarCitizen to look forward to aswell, reason I asked is its my favorite genre and it seemed dead for years, cant wait to see how they turn out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Thargor wrote: »
    Do games like Elite Dangerous seem fully playable in the Rift these days? Do you plan on completing it in the Rift when it comes out I mean or will it be too severe and just used for quick blasts in between normal desktop play?

same question for FPS games like Half Life 2...

I enjoyed HL2 for the sense of it being an immersive environment, not so much for VR being suited to shooters. TF2, not so good - if you're competitive, anyway. Aiming is just too difficult, and turning rapidly with your mouse makes you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Anywhere in Ireland that sells the Saitek X52 Pro ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

smithy1981 wrote: »

you might get one off komplett or dabs, the ordinary X52 is a nice stick too

• Advertisement

That's one pricey stick........

Yeah i'll probably get the ordinary one. My new rig is coming tomorrow so id love to be able to walk in and buy it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kirby wrote: »
    That's one pricey stick........

a warthog would set you back twice that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Really would like a Warthog though... just can't justify the expense for one or two games.

Oak76 wrote: »
    Really would like a Warthog though... just can't justify the expense for one or two games.
    bigtime, would love a warthog, was tempted to get one in the US earlier in the year, way cheaper and the computer shops there have absolutely everything. Nice to walk in and try stuff too.

Maybe for Christmas :)

anyone know of a bricks and mortar shops that sell and hotas?? I'd love one for tomorrow!

anyone know of a bricks and mortar shops that sell and hotas?? I'd love one for tomorrow!
    ireland sux for PC stuff, grrrr. Could probably get a saitek from currys up north next day in store. Dont see anything on the .ie site, but the co.uk site has some saitek x52 & x52 pro and can collect next day in belfast. Sorry not great but better than nothing :)

Today I used the SMAA injector instead of FXAA while playing Elite: Dangerous and it worked great. It seems to improve framerate and definition of objects, saw the tip on reddit: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.fr/p/injectsmaa.html

just copy the v1.2 dx10 files into your edlauncher folder where your exe is and disable AA in game and if you created a profile for elite in the nvidia control panel make sure FXAA is disabled there too. The injector takes over and forces SMAA instead which is more efficient and works better with the DK2. Frontier are said to be including other AA methods soon so perhaps an update will make this fix redundant.

Today I used the SMAA injector instead of FXAA while playing Elite: Dangerous and it worked great. It seems to improve framerate and definition of objects, saw the tip on reddit: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.fr/p/injectsmaa.html

just copy the v1.2 dx10 files into your edlauncher folder where your exe is and disable AA in game and if you created a profile for elite in the nvidia control panel make sure FXAA is disabled there too. The injector takes over and forces SMAA instead which is more efficient and works better with the DK2. Frontier are said to be including other AA methods soon so perhaps an update will make this fix redundant.
    im using MLAAx2 on Elite, its a hitter on the FPS( still getting 75FPS OC'd though ) but looks better than crappy FXAA, but yeah definately SMAA is better than FXAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

maybe CEX?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Have you read up what it's like for failures and customer support. I've had two saitek products go tits up on me, I'll never touch them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Got my ups tracking number this morning! Won't be home to collect it for nearly a month though

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Got my ups tracking number this morning! Won't be home to collect it for nearly a month though
    Was afraid the same thing would happen but luckily had it for 2 weeks before heading off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Make sure they don't send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

ScumLord wrote: »
    Have you read up what it's like for failures and customer support. I've had two saitek products go tits up on me, I'll never touch them again.

I spoke to the marketing manager for a sister company, arrogant pr!ck would be an understatement. I had an X52 worked great but after care is a joke. That said if you buy through amazon that won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Bepolite wrote: »
    Make sure they don't send it back.

It's going to my parents house, which is a ten hour round trip away. I was only there at the weekend, and have stuff on these coming weekends so won't make it down until the start of September.

Mine was shipped on Friday.

jonah-hill-flailing1_1_111.gif

Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Don't worry, they'll just leave it on your windowsill :p

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

About to put an order in for a DK2, does anybody know if you're charged customs, VAT etc. or what's the deal?

Edit: Never mind, went to the next stage and it told me.

Amount Due: $ 498.15

$150 in shipping and fees, feck it, it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone selling keep me in mind.

Also have a PC I'd be willing to maybe work out a trade (i3 3220, ssd, gtx750ti, 6gb ram)

Advertisement