Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

There was a new sdk released earlier. Dont forget to upgrade the firmware too :)

Edit: no need to update firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

0.4.1 seems to have sorted out my crashing OVRService, tracking is pretty impressive now that the IR camera works

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I just tried out Sightline The Chair - http://sightlinevr.com/ . It's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fantastic to read that HL2 and TF2 now work with DK2, here's a guide for getting HL2 working - http://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-enable-oculus-rift-dk2-half-life-2-steamvr-steam-big-picture-virtual-reality-mode/

And if you have razor hydras here's the latest working HL2VR mod -http://www.reddit.com/r/hlvr/comments/2csd6r/half_life_vr_134b/

Seriously can't wait to try it when I get back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone tried Cyber Space?

They took payment from my CC last night so hopefully that means shipping soon...

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Anyone tried Cyber Space?

They took payment from my CC last night so hopefully that means shipping soon...
    Never got a chance to try it on dk2, but it was fun on dk1, I'd imagine much better in 2.

My CC got charged on Thursday and it arrived Tuesday morning, so you'll probably have it Wednesday. Seems to be a lot of rifts in Ireland :)

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Never got a chance to try it on dk2, but it was fun on dk1, I'd imagine much better in 2.

My CC got charged on Thursday and it arrived Tuesday morning, so you'll probably have it Wednesday. Seems to be a lot of rifts in Ireland :)

I spotted another Irish one on the Oculus forums in the same batch as me and I know at least another 2 guys who have ordered. Looks like they will get up to mid april orders shipped by the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

YESSSSSSSSSSSS HL2 SUPPORT

you free this weekend ShadowHearth? :D

Also, had a little 2v2 Quake II VR LAN at work yesterday. It wasn't actually that fun, it's really exhausting to play Quake in VR because aiming and movement is so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

HL2 works great, time to dig out the Hydras again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are the Hydras going to be an essential purchase when the consumer version comes and VR games are being released regularly do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thargor wrote: »
    Are the Hydras going to be an essential purchase when the consumer version comes and VR games are being released regularly do you think?
    I would say they might be superseded by something more suited pretty quickly.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would say they might be superseded by something more suited pretty quickly.
    Pretty sure wormslayer and Nathan are bringing out a Stem version next, but they're damn expensive, not sure about priovr or the glove thing.

Hydras are a pain in the ass to use, the wires always get tangled. They're grand if you can get them second hand for 50 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder have oculus any plans to make a controller too? Or whether they could bring out some sort of standard that would allow controller makers to make VR compatible controllers that even show up in game so you can always see where it is in the real world.

Gloves would have obvious advantages but replicating a hand in VR would probably be pretty difficult, it's a pretty complex device when you think about it.

I wonder have oculus any plans to make a controller too? Or whether they could bring out some sort of standard that would allow controller makers to make VR compatible controllers that even show up in game so you can always see where it is in the real world.

Gloves would have obvious advantages but replicating a hand in VR would probably be pretty difficult, it's a pretty complex device when you think about it.

They have said a good few times they are looking at controllers internally and are working on other products but thats been as much as they have said. The Control VR stuff looks amazing but big money ($500+ for the full dev kit setup)

Control VR is what I was trying to think of, check out the YouTube videos, very impressive.

Proper hand control is up in the air at the moment, until its sorted I'm going to stick with cockpit games, g25, and hopefully pickup a warthog by crimbo. Hydras are good enough if awkward to setup, at least until the dust settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

I just picked up the x-52 pro HOTAS. Managed to get more combat missions done when previously i couldnt get past the 3rd mission :/ Joystick and thruster makes a complete difference, and in addition the immersion factor goes right up, any movement you do with the HOTAs is mimicked by the character. People with Rifts and HOTAS are definitely going to have a bigger advantage in combat than non users. Elite is amazing when you get into it a bit more, getting guns and missiles is bloody great.

Wonder when frontier are going to release an update so that it uses 0.4.1 drivers...

Still waiting for Vorpox to be updated so i can play a bunch of games too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'd just like to point out these guys have great customer service.

I have a hardware fault with my Oculus in that the head tracking only partially works. They are shipping me a new one before they have even received the faulty one back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Kirby wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out these guys have great customer service.

I have a hardware fault with my Oculus in that the head tracking only partially works. They are shipping me a new one before they have even received the faulty one back. :)

What exactly was the fault?? I've an open ticket as the camera flickers on/off when ever it bloody wants. Some days i get 20 mins, and other days it turns on/off every few seconds. It can be very nauseating when in a game.

That sounds like a USB problem to me. My old computer had an issue where it would frequently stop powering certain USB ports. This isn't a problem if its say, a printer but it's a big issue when its your wireless dongle! :P

My issue was with headtracking. Forward and backward head movement worked fine. Lateral/side to side movement worked fine. But rotational/twisting tracking did not work. No matter how much I twisted my head, the image stayed perfectly level. It was odd.

I was confident it wasn't a software issue as I had it working fine for the first 30 minutes I had the rift and then the problem just appeared even though nothing new had been installed.

UPS dragging out my delivery but they will hopefully turn up today. Grabbed various demos and games from the DK2 list here to give it a go

http://www.theriftarcade.com/oculus-rift-dk2-supported-games/

Might splash out the €5 on Euro truck 2 as well

• Advertisement

Sightline the chair is very cool looking.
    If you want some rollercoasters, Helix is pretty good and is modelled after a real life one in Germany.
    UE4 rollercoaster is one that goes around a giant living room. It's in unreal engine 4 and looks amazing.
    Titans of space is a trip round the solar system. It's the one demo that actually made me a little nauseous. :p

If you want a more gamey demo, Endless Reach is like space invaders and Warscape is a tank game. :)

Kirby wrote: »
    Sightline the chair is very cool looking.
    If you want some rollercoasters, Helix is pretty good and is modelled after a real life one in Germany.
    UE4 rollercoaster is one that goes around a giant living room. It's in unreal engine 4 and looks amazing.
    Titans of space is a trip round the solar system. It's the one demo that actually made me a little nauseous. :p

If you want a more gamey demo, Endless Reach is like space invaders and Warscape is a tank game. :)

Thanks i'll have a look now that UPS finally turned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

For anyone still waiting like me - my order (April 28th) changed to processing this morning.

BigP wrote: »
    For anyone still waiting like me - my order (April 28th) changed to processing this morning.

They seem to be flying though them now. Makes sense that most of the orderers were in the first week.

Have to say I struggled with it last night. The demos that have direct to Oculus stuttered really badly to the point of unusable. Extending the desktop worked better but still only OK. Admittedly I was using an i7 laptop with an Nvidia 750M but I though some of the simpler demos would be fine if not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I think there is a problem with using some laptops in that they can't output over 60Hz so you won't get low persistence and timewarping.

I think there is a problem with using some laptops in that they can't output over 60Hz so you won't get low persistence and timewarping.

It claims its running it at 75 in the extended mode and to be fair things were better doing it that way. Strangely the head tracking didn't work in extended mode with the demo scene. I'll play more later hopefully a bit more successfully.

Yeah from talking to others with the rift I think I have been lucky with my setup. Have you tried Bilago's new launcher? It looks like it could help make things easier. It only has been a few weeks since release so in a month I think the SDK and drivers should have improved a lot.

Yeah from talking to others with the rift I think I have been lucky with my setup. Have you tried Bilago's new launcher? It looks like it could help make things easier. It only has been a few weeks since release so in a month I think the SDK and drivers should have improved a lot.

Ill try the launcher later.

Its very much a dev kit and not meant for those that just want to play games so im cool with the hassles. They will definitely smooth this stuff out and I think they are looking at some sort of "Rift Ready" certification to make the hardware side of it easier to deal with.

The experience in the demo scene is incredible. I was leaning right in and looking back up at the lamp, turning around looking behind me, reaching out expecting to touch things or bumping off of real world things you don't expect to be there. I had used the DK1 and there really is no comparison. CV1 with 4K res 100+fps in games built for it will be incredibly compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Haven't gotten around to selling my DK1 yet but for someone who did have it and moved onto DK2, how is it?

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Haven't gotten around to selling my DK1 yet but for someone who did have it and moved onto DK2, how is it?
    Huge difference. Can play games like Elite: Dangerous for several hours without feeling uncomfortable. Its not perfect and objects in the distance look like clumps of pixels but the screen door effect is greatly reduced overall.

The positional tracking helps a lot with VR comfort but the big difference is the low persistence which gets rid of that annoying smear effect from DK1.

Advertisement