Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Huge difference. Can play games like Elite: Dangerous for several hours without feeling uncomfortable. Its not perfect and objects in the distance look like clumps of pixels but the screen door effect is greatly reduced overall.

The positional tracking helps a lot with VR comfort but the big difference is the low persistence which gets rid of that annoying smear effect from DK1.

I was well impressed with the DK1 and I'll probably upgrade, games like GTA 4 were pretty immersive and fun to play. Only thing I found on the downside of it was the screendoor effect, which didn't bother me at all but I knew games ached for higher resolution, and the persistence.

All those demos people made as well were fun to go through.

The worst thing is that wait for it to be delivered, though I think I only had to wait about 3 weeks for mine and that was back in September.

Tridef was easy as pie to deal with too and they're frequently adding games to the list, don't know how it handles with DK2 actually at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Screen door is definitely still a problem. Before I got mine, I used to scoff at people saying we needed 2k or 4k for the commercial version but I agree with them now. For gaming, you sometimes don't notice it. Other times like when staring at text or into the distance, its very distracting.

Watching movies or video clips is really where the screen door effect hits home. There is not chance you could watch a full 3d movie on this. The clarity isn't there.

I've heard people comment on how their phone is 1080p and they can't see the pixels when they hold it close but this is wildly misinterpreting the issue. You have to remember that the total resolution is halved because it's shared over two eyes, and also that the lenses are magnifying it somewhat. Monitor,phone or tv resolutions don't apply.

As impressed as I've been, and I'm massively impressed, it's not there yet. For me, this is the best way to experience a 3D effect....by far. Forget cinema, tv, or the 3ds style formats. This has them all beat. But the average user doesn't know what screen door is and wont stand for it. "It looks better on my monitor" is all the average punter will know.

We know for certain that CV1 is going to have a 90 hertz refresh rate and that will help with motion, but the SDE needs addressing too. If the CV1 isn't at least 2560x1440, I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

1440p is confirmed for CV1. I think we'll have a better idea of when CV1 will be released after we see how well the Nvidia 880 performs. If that can't do side by side 3d at 1440p at 90FPS then I think CV1 will be delayed. Although Timewarp and other tricks will make a difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

1440p is confirmed for CV1. I think we'll have a better idea of when CV1 will be released after we see how well the Nvidia 880 performs. If that can't do side by side 3d at 1440p at 90FPS then I think CV1 will be delayed. Although Timewarp and other tricks will make a difference too.
    If people have to buy a new top end graphics card to make the rift work it won't be too popular, they wouldn't be aiming for such a low price if people needed a cutting edge PC to work it. It won't have to do full 1440 side by side either. There's people currently running triple screens on the 700 range, I think those cards will be able to handle the rift.

By side by side I mean it will have to render two images on a 1440p screen. 90FPS is what they are aiming for which is not doable for most games on a 700 series at that resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Is it two 1440p images, or two images with half the resolution for each eye?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Is it two 1440p images, or two images with half the resolution for each eye?

Half the res per eye

half the horizontal, so technically it's 1440p per image (1280x1440)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ScumLord wrote: »
    If people have to buy a new top end graphics card to make the rift work it won't be too popular, they wouldn't be aiming for such a low price if people needed a cutting edge PC to work it. It won't have to do full 1440 side by side either. There's people currently running triple screens on the 700 range, I think those cards will be able to handle the rift.

I dont think there is any single gpu solution out now that will run modern games in 1440p at 90FPS without the eye candy turned down. two years time though maybe.

59656.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Even if you don't run the game at native resolution, a higher ppi screen is still beneficial purely to reduce the screen-door effect. However, ppi isn't the only factor which affects the amount of SDE so it's not quite as straightforward as just throwing a higher res screen in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Rew wrote: »
    The demos that have direct to Oculus stuttered really badly to the point of unusable

I had serious judder issues at first, but the following steps have pretty much eliminated them:

1. Update to the latest SDK (0.4.1 beta currently)
    2. Turn off Aero if you're running Windows 7 (not sure if this is possible in 8)
    3. Run your primary monitor at 75Hz if possible (or close to it - I was running my 120Hz monitor at 60Hz until I worked out a way to run it at 75Hz).

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I dont think there is any single gpu solution out now that will run modern games in 1440p at 90FPS without the eye candy turned down. two years time though maybe.
    It would be another 2 year about before I'm looking at a new GC, I just bought a 770 a few months ago.

I think the oculus could probably get away with having less eye candy anyway, so maybe it won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I had serious judder issues at first, but the following steps have pretty much eliminated them:

1. Update to the latest SDK (0.4.1 beta currently)
    2. Turn off Aero if you're running Windows 7 (not sure if this is possible in 8)
    3. Run your primary monitor at 75Hz if possible (or close to it - I was running my 120Hz monitor at 60Hz until I worked out a way to run it at 75Hz).
    Is it showing as 75fps on the rift screen with vsynch on for you guys that experienced judder? I'm just curious because if its an issue that primary needs to be set to same refresh as the rift it should max out at the primary refresh. All of the judder I've seen is the frame rate not being high enough, e.g. euro truck Sim in city centres, but I only tried a few demos, ets2, elite etc. And hl2 update looks like it needs the extra launch parameters to force max fps and refresh - not tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

After having the rift a couple of weeks. I think i'm pretty much done with it. The biggest problem for me at least is the motion sickness, it effects everyone differently. It works great for cockpit games but for other types i dont think its doable as long as i constantly get sick. Might be time to stick it on ebay now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Oh? How much are looking for it? (Interested in one myself)

spark1976 wrote: »
    After having the rift a couple of weeks. I think i'm pretty much done with it. The biggest problem for me at least is the motion sickness, it effects everyone differently. It works great for cockpit games but for other types i dont think its doable as long as i constantly get sick. Might be time to stick it on ebay now unfortunately.
    Is it the DK1 or 2?

If it's the DK2 I wouldn't give up on it just yet, it's only just gone out to devs, it'll be a few months before you can expect anything dependable out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Zulu wrote: »
    Oh? How much are looking for it? (Interested in one myself)

Hopefully make as much back on what i paid for it.

Its a DK2 btw, and yeah, i know there will be more content out in a few months time.. i just dont know... i'm not sure if its for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

spark1976 wrote: »
    Hopefully make as much back on what i paid for it.

Its a DK2 btw, and yeah, i know there will be more content out in a few months time.. i just dont know... i'm not sure if its for me :(

PM me the link please!!!!!!!! It's mine! Please tell me your in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Man lads, so Im thinking of going for the DK2, Ill read back on this thread soon but what say ye? Is it worth going for yet?

• Advertisement

The Red wrote: »
    Man lads, so Im thinking of going for the DK2, Ill read back on this thread soon but what say ye? Is it worth going for yet?
    Being honest if you're unsure then no, wait for the consumer version. If you have 300+ euro burning a hole in your pocket, love the idea of VR, are prepared to spend time getting things working, accept the low rez, not great fov and screen door effect then go for it.

Being unsure I would suggest you get a demo of it off one of us so you know what to expect. Its fantastic for enthusiast's but not quite there for general acceptance.

Cool. Well I am DESPERATELY waiting to try it and am very excited. I will also have an opportunity to throw the money at it soon and I dont mind the leg work of getting it working (would love that)
    I am used to 1440p above 90 fps though so that would wreck my head...big question... have you guys tried Battlefield on it? *bites nails

My expectations would be.. 1. low res - ok... 2. screen door effect - not sure what that would be like. 3. Peripheral vision - awesome and great for Battlefield and all other games.. 4. Sims like roller coasters, horror demos and car racing etc - class and great to terrify friends and family

Couple of other questions... Will it be long before the actual release? ( I heard it could be years before the consumer version is out) What is the final price including shipping to Eire?

has anyone attempted to take it out on the road? Like, has anyone ,say, brought it to a public event and set it up for others to try it?

Seems like it would be a good laugh for people to try it and Id say things like the roller coaster sim etc would have them lining up to try it... I would imagine that sort of lark would not be endorsed officially by anyone but the aul Father Ted Fair Ground style show probably would fly under the radar. :D

Would the next release be higher res and less screen door effect?

One last thing... would anyone be willing to loan one to me or allow me to try it out? Or if anyone is selling a DK2 would they be willing to take some sort of deposit that I could give it a go?

I know its a long shot and risky but I would love to see it in action before I decided to go for it.. lol

Ok well never mind, **** it Im going to get it anyway but I wont be ordering until probably next month so Ill keep my eye on here.

Had a first try with HL2 and DK2 last night, the resolution increase is great and positional tracking is cool, but having put so many hours into HL2 VR on DK1 its the first time i found the lower fov of the DK2 annoying and dissappointing it definately takes away from the immersion.

Its also the first time i had judder and had to disable aero to remove it.

Have to try HL2VR tonight with the hydras, looking forward to it.

Whats the FOV on it? Why would they lower it? :(

The Red wrote: »
    Whats the FOV on it? Why would they lower it? :(
    Dk1 is 110, Dk2 is 100. It's reduced because the screen is only a 5"+ screen in Dk2 whereas Dk1 is a 7" screen and the optics are different. Lower fov means a higher rez for what you see straight ahead, its a trade off but with hl2 its the first time I really noticed the difference. It's not terrible and when you're playing you forget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gonna throw it out there that I have one of the new Nvidia Shield Tablet's to trade if anyone's bored of their DK2 :P

http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I ordered my oculus dk2 in a fit of over enthusiasm at the end of august, hopefully I'll get it in October. I've played around with dk1 and the resolution was a downer, so hopefully it will be better this time around. I have my elite beta, I'm also hoping to get a few decent games working with it. Hopefully it doesn't gather dust like my 3d glasses for the computer !

Edit:the razor hydra videos on YouTube tipped me over, is it worth it though?

imitation wrote: »

Edit:the razor hydra videos on YouTube tipped me over, is it worth it though?
    are you asking if the hydras are worth it? i would say if you have 50-60 euro( i definately wouldnt pay more ) to spare and love HL2, messing with the few demos where you can interact really well and would like to see where this type of interaction is going then yes otherwise no.

I love HL2, so for me i got them for 60euro and im well happy with them, HL2VR is brilliant.

• Advertisement

Nice announcement from Nvidia about VR optimisations in their new 980 and 970 cards:
    http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/maxwell-virtual-reality/

The card may still struggle to get 90FPS at 1440p but since they have a new SLI mode for VR then 2 cards will make it work. Who know, maybe even a single card can manage it with the asynchronous timewarp

Advertisement