Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Its great that the gfx card manufacturers are taking notice and fantastic to see the new SLI mode which i presume wont be just Maxwell. Its a shame we dont have any benchmarks for frame latency on 9X0 cards vs 7x0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Seriously considering purchasing a rift this side of Christmas. Is there a general timeframe on the release of the consumer version? Would it be this year? Q1 or 2 of 2015?

Would anyone be willing to lend their rift for a few days? Id meet in person with a security deposit of your choice obviously. Really want to try it before I buy or is there anywhere I could demo it even?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Seriously considering purchasing a rift this side of Christmas. Is there a general timeframe on the release of the consumer version? Would it be this year? Q1 or 2 of 2015?

Would anyone be willing to lend their rift for a few days? Id meet in person with a security deposit of your choice obviously. Really want to try it before I buy or is there anywhere I could demo it even?

I'd hold off until CV1 if you can. There isn't enough content there for a €350 piece of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Its a bit far away from you but player 1 gaming in Maynooth have one that they let people try

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Developers haven't really caught up with the DK2 yet so you won't have much to do and there's a possibility that by the time the good content is ready and released the CV1 will be near to release.

I get the impression that developers are using the DK2 to have content ready for the Cv1 rather than just getting their heads around the technology as would have been the point of DK1.

I get the itch to buy the DK2 every so often but it seems like a waste of money if the CV1 comes out early next year, or even during the middle of the year. Most the stuff being released for the rift now is a bit gimmicky and I think once you get over the initial thrill there won't be too much to hold the attention. I don't know how well the DK2 would do on the second hand market either if the CV1 comes in at the prices they're predicting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ScumLord wrote: »
    Developers haven't really caught up with the DK2 yet so you won't have much to do and there's a possibility that by the time the good content is ready and released the CV1 will be near to release.

I get the impression that developers are using the DK2 to have content ready for the Cv1 rather than just getting their heads around the technology as would have been the point of DK1.

I get the itch to buy the DK2 every so often but it seems like a waste of money if the CV1 comes out early next year, or even during the middle of the year. Most the stuff being released for the rift now is a bit gimmicky and I think once you get over the initial thrill there won't be too much to hold the attention. I don't know how well the DK2 would do on the second hand market either if the CV1 comes in at the prices they're predicting.

Do they actually have a release date for cv1? I find it hard to imagine they would release it next year, when such a small fraction of their target market would have the hardware to run it smoothly (90fps) at its native resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do they actually have a release date for cv1? I find it hard to imagine they would release it next year, when such a small fraction of their target market would have the hardware to run it smoothly (90fps) at its native resolution
    Any comments I've read online there's always plenty of people saying their holding off on upgrading now until the rift comes out.

The fact Nvidia is making cards with the rift in mind shows that the manufacturers are expecting a run on new cards once the rift comes out.

It doesn't look like oculus expect to make massive profits off the back of sales either, thanks to facebook they're in it for the long haul. It's a piece of technology that will promote itself through word of mouth so they need to have it out there to promote itself and to force the new technology through.

If the rift is selling new technology for companies they'll be happy to promote it.

@TheMilkyPirate - rumours are beta CV1 reveal next April( consistent with their yearly reveals for DK1 and 2 ), honestly in terms of content i wouldnt expect a general public release of CV1 until April 2016. People keep complaining about when the consumer version will be available but you can order it now if you want its just it needs content and ideally a few AAA games for it.

Get someone to demo it for you, if that fails youre welcome to call around and check out mine if you want( will have to be 2-3 weeks time and at the weekend though ).

Just a question why is it the rift thats garnering so much public attention over the likes of Sonys Project morpheus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Just a question why is it the rift thats garnering so much public attention over the likes of Sonys Project morpheus?

People own Rifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm happy about my choice to buy a DK2, it is important to realize its no where near a finished product software wise, I learned that after playing with a dk1 for a day or two. At the same time, thanks to fact its on PC its quite possible to do some really cool things, and retro-fit old games to work with it. Its going to be more of a hobbyist thing for a long while I think. I have seen talk of the consumer version coming this year, slipping to next year, honestly I believe its going to be even longer, so why hold off ? Some of the best fun I had was with computers when they Promethean by today's standards. I'm sure VR will be super polished in a decade, but for the moment I happy to muck about with drivers trying to get another few fps out of HL2, or try and get more complex games working.

If I were to order a DK2 in the 2nd or 3rd week of October would I have it in time for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The order page shows an estimated shipping date of 6-8 weeks if you order it now. That's the shipping date so add another week onto that for delivery estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Looks like there is another revision of oculus rift now, with included headphones and its a bit lighter. I can't find much more details about what they did to the display but apparently its another big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Some people who just received DK2s will be pissed to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

probably just an internal prototype like crystal cove

Yeah its not for sale. They had a number of prototypes between the DevKit 1 and Devkit 2 that did not get realeased either. Apparently these were hand made and quite fragile

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

LOL I had to catch a friend from doing the same.
    EminentUnripeGalah.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Could somebody please link me with the newest config utility download, I'm going mental looking for it, it's just nowhere to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Could somebody please link me with the newest config utility download, I'm going mental looking for it, it's just nowhere to be found.

Isn't it included with the "Oculus Runtime"? You'll need to log in to http://developer.oculus.com to download it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can you see anybody doing something with the Motion Leap and this or is mine doomed to forever sit on my shelf? :D

Skerries wrote: »
    can you see anybody doing something with the Motion Leap and this or is mine doomed to forever sit on my shelf? :D
    its not accurate enough and keeps getting confused apparently, tbh the new Kinect would be a much better bet to track hands, fingers etc. and not only that but you can 3D scan yourself with it. Doc_Ok did some great work with 3 of the old Kinects so new one would be even better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUu1ZQDCGp8&list=UUj_UmpoD8Ph_EcyN_xEXrUQ

Yeah he made some interesting observations about the new prototype, GearVR and leap motion here: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1066

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

A clue that the rumours of a beta release of CV1 might actually be true is the GearVr 'Enthusiast Edition'. Samsung making a point of indicating that the initial release in mid October is for enthusiasts/developers which lets them get it on the shelves but excuses them if the software or UI and UX is a bit rough around the edges. The beta CV1 rumour was out before this launch strategy of Samsungs for the GearVR was public afaik.

I think a beta CV1 in Spring is a stroke of genius tbh. The rumour is that the beta CV1 would be the final Hardware produced in a trial production run available only on their website like the Development Kits before the SDK is necessarily finished/polished or AAA titles are ready. Iron out all manufacturing, production and software kinks with forgiving enthusiasts under no illusions about what they are getting. Then they can ramp up production and stockpile/warehouse them over the next few months for the public launch and move to retail sales in stores for Christmas 2015. Palmer said "it's ready when it was ready a year ago' ie stockpiling for retail sale launch. Eg intel start the production lines on new CPUs nearly a year before the things actually hit the shelves. We've also heard that crescent bay isn't the finished hardware yet either, just the latest prototype they are prepared to show. There's more advanced prototypes than even crescent bay in house that aren't ready for shows never mind prime time yet. I'd say they'll lock down the Hardware by this Christmas 2014 and start the production lines ready for a Christmas 2015 retail launch but release some of the early production run to the enthusiast community as the beta CV1 around Spring 2015.

That's why I'm waiting anyway.

Someone started a drive to get the Rift working in Alien Isolation and yesterday someone posted an initial solution. Here's his post on the Alien Isolation forum.

They don't have positional tracking working yet just the standard head tracking but since they unlocked the rift option they might also get the camera working soon. I might wait and see what the devs say but if they allow this I'll be buying the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My Order just went to Ready last night.

How long from Ready to Arrived?

:D

Someone started a drive to get the Rift working in Alien Isolation and yesterday someone posted an initial solution. Here's his post on the Alien Isolation forum.

They don't have positional tracking working yet just the standard head tracking but since they unlocked the rift option they might also get the camera working soon. I might wait and see what the devs say but if they allow this I'll be buying the game.
    they got positional tracking working, just that the blue light wasnt on:
    here - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2ina7c/how_to_enable_rift_mode_for_alien_isolation_even/
    and here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908564

Wasnt planning on getting this game at all but i might get it now if i can get it cheapo :)

I got it last night on fast2play and it works quite well. You can tell that it's not designed with the rift in mind as the scale seems to be little off. I reckon I need to tweak a few settings though as positional tracking was not very smooth for me. I played for about an hour and there were a few jump scares and the sense of immersion is starting to build as you get closer to the inevitable encounter. I had to stop though since it was a bit late and it was making me a small bit nauseous but I reckon if I adjust the settings for a steadier framerate it should help with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Taylor365 wrote: »
    My Order just went to Ready last night.

How long from Ready to Arrived?

:D

Probably Tuesday next week

• Advertisement

I got it last night on fast2play and it works quite well. You can tell that it's not designed with the rift in mind as the scale seems to be little off. I reckon I need to tweak a few settings though as positional tracking was not very smooth for me. I played for about an hour and there were a few jump scares and the sense of immersion is starting to build as you get closer to the inevitable encounter. I had to stop though since it was a bit late and it was making me a small bit nauseous but I reckon if I adjust the settings for a steadier framerate it should help with that.
    nice one, i must give it a whirl at some stage.
    I tried Grid Autosport last night, its very handy thats it supports direct to rift but i had awful judder even when maintaining 75FPS on my 780Ti, i knocked it down to min settings and it removed the judder, smooth as butter.
    I need to play about with the settings more, find what settings will give good quality and no judder.
    The corners on open track( f1 type cars ) were difficult to see but the gamma in the game is too high for the rift also making the whole scene washed out and difficult to see contrast( for corners ) so ill check if lowering that makes it easier to see. The regular tracks should be easy to see as they have walls etc unlike open track.
    All in all i enjoyed it and great to have another racer on the rift even though in terms of arcade racer i much prefer Grid 1.

Advertisement