Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i agree on the performance requirements, if you do the math 1440p@90hz only requires twice the gpu power of what 1080p requires:
    1920x1080x75 = 155520000
    2560x1440x90 = 331776000
    So its easily dooable if SLI/crossfire supports VR, damn expensive, but dooable, i would get 2xtop end cards if it was needed, lol.

You have to double the second value though, because it's rendering two full screens side-by-side for the 3D effect. I'm sure the high-end dual card systems will be able to do it, but that's a niche crowd and this thing needs to get far more penetration than the hardcore enthusiasts who are happy to spend €500-1000 on graphics alone. I mean I've got dual 290s myself and that set me back over €600 this summer and while I can run games well in Eyefinity, even then I'm generally not getting 90Hz, it's generally around 60Hz. It may be a case that we have to take a step back on graphical fidelity for Oculus Rift, at least at first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

i agree on the performance requirements, if you do the math 1440p@90hz only requires twice the gpu power of what 1080p requires:
    1920x1080x75 = 155520000
    2560x1440x90 = 331776000
    So its easily dooable if SLI/crossfire supports VR, damn expensive, but dooable, i would get 2xtop end cards if it was needed, lol.

But it's not exactly twice the compute power. Each eye is seeing a slightly different viewing angle of the same scene so a lot of the work is already done. Carmack has already proposed a few shortcuts to the render process that would cut this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

5uspect wrote: »
    But it's not exactly twice the compute power. Each eye is seeing a slightly different viewing angle of the same scene so a lot of the work is already done. Carmack has already proposed a few shortcuts to the render process that would cut this further.
    exactly, geometry rendering isint affected by resolution, its just a rough comparison
    C14N wrote: »
    You have to double the second value though, because it's rendering two full screens side-by-side for the 3D effect.
    you dont have to double it, im comparing performance of 1080p stereoscropic rift render with a 1440p rift render, so if you get 75FPS in elite at the moment you'll need approximately x2 the performance( probably only 80% more due to geometry ) to render in 90FPS at 1440p.

Im surprised youre not getting 75FPS+, i get that in Elite( minus space station part, havnt tried it with the latest nvidia drivers which are supposed to fix that ) and Assetto Corsa with a 780Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

They have techniques such as timewarping and decreased motion to photon latency in newer GPUs but SLI still isnt the reccomended way to go even with the new VR SLI apparently.

I do believe that part of the delay is them waiting for PCs to catch up though so the partnership with Samsung is a nice distraction as well as giving them access to better screens. I guess optimising VR to work on a mobile will help reduce the required PC spec too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tried out the Player1 model yesterday, was just a blur!:( I read somewhere that if the screens are even a bit out of position this can happen, and the guy had to readjust the strap to cope with my outsize noggin.:p

Leaving that aside, I didn't get even a hint of this mythical sense of 'presence', never felt like anything other than looking a two mini-screens right in my face. Maybe the Rift just doesn't do it for some people...

• Advertisement

Tried out the Player1 model yesterday, was just a blur!:( I read somewhere that if the screens are even a bit out of position this can happen, and the guy had to readjust the strap to cope with my outsize noggin.:p

Leaving that aside, I didn't get even a hint of this mythical sense of 'presence', never felt like anything other than looking a two mini-screens right in my face. Maybe the Rift just doesn't do it for some people...

You shouldnt see two screens, sounds like they didnt calibrate for your IPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can upscale 1080p to 1440p if you don't have the hardware for 1440p native. It will still look fine and be a lot easier to run.

A single GTX 970 should be more than capable of good 1440p rift performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HippetyHop

Hello fellow rift enthusiasts! I came to your beautiful country two months ago, and I was wondering if there is a publicly available rift demo in Dublin? This is my only chance to try the rift other then buying it (waiting for the CV) so if you could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

HippetyHop wrote: »
    Hello fellow rift enthusiasts! I came to your beautiful country two months ago, and I was wondering if there is a publicly available rift demo in Dublin? This is my only chance to try the rift other then buying it (waiting for the CV) so if you could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Not in Dublin as such but about an hour way on the train, this shop in Maynooth lets you try their Rift if you ask nicely...
    http://www.player1.ie/

Not in Dublin as such but about an hour way on the train, this shop in Maynooth lets you try their Rift if you ask nicely...
    http://www.player1.ie/

Is it DK1 or DK2 though? I'm not in Dublin so can't help you out unfortunately

• Advertisement

Is it DK1 or DK2 though? I'm not in Dublin so can't help you out unfortunately

DK1 AFAIK. Was just a blur when I tried it whatever it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually got a pair of them as well for a laugh, I went for the proper hard plastic over the cardboard for the sake of a few euro. I've heard decent things about them, I'll report back when they arrive!

Only thing I'm worried about is wheres the input option on them? The clicky little washer that appears on the cardboard one?

It's not a washer, it's a magnet but you can use a copper strip to transfer a tap from anywhere to the screen

Of course its a washer, thats how you interact with the magnet. Im wondering if one is included with these plastic glasses, bit of a pain if it isnt...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thargor wrote: »

Just dont let it put you off, I have enough friends who cant hack a dk2 after 30 min running at 75hz, I can just imagine what a choppy tilted phone demo might do to them :)

Thargor wrote: »
    Of course its a washer, thats how you interact with the magnet. Im wondering if one is included with these plastic glasses, bit of a pain if it isnt...

you're right, my bad I thought the washer was the magnet but the magnet is inside so you would need both magnet and washer. I thought I read somewhere about someone using a tapping gesture to select things. Tapping on the side of the screen so the motion sensor picked it up...or maybe that was the oculus rift

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any word yet on when the consumer version will be released? I've got a bit of spare cash this month, and was very tempted to pick this up. Don't know if it's a good idea though, with a better version on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kiith wrote: »
    Any word yet on when the consumer version will be released? I've got a bit of spare cash this month, and was very tempted to pick this up. Don't know if it's a good idea though, with a better version on the horizon.

I have a DK2.
    The screen is not good enough yet.

I'd say wait.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

Speculation seems to be pointing to late next year, not aware of anything solid backing that up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd say 2016. DK2 is fun but there's not much to it.

A:I/TF2/HL2/Minecrift/Elite/Eurotruck/Starconflict/Racing sims and your done outside of demos. You could go through everything it has to offer in less than a day or 3.

Then there's messing with drivers to make other games half-work on it which i find useless as they mostly look like crap.

At this stage, I'd defiantly wait and see what they have in store. If not, then check out Gear if you just want to check out the tech.

If you really like Elite then go for it, otherwise I'd do as the others have said and wait. I'm not in Dublin but I'm sure someone would give you a demo if you asked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'd say 2016. DK2 is fun but there's not much to it.

A:I/TF2/HL2/Minecrift/Elite/Eurotruck/Starconflict/Racing sims and your done outside of demos. You could go through everything it has to offer in less than a day or 3.

Then there's messing with drivers to make other games half-work on it which i find useless as they mostly look like crap.

At this stage, I'd defiantly wait and see what they have in store. If not, then check out Gear if you just want to check out the tech.

I think you'd have very little sleep if you did all that in 3 days :) . That being said, elite is probably the only game I'll come back to, but it stands out as one of my best gaming experiences in the past decade. I'm lookibg forward to gaming a lot this xmas on the or.

For me the dk2 was worth it, but I will defintely be getting a 4k model when they drop, Reading text in elite is a nightmare !

I can't see the value in the gear, its a great screen but with very limted potential. A dk 2 will more than likely work with titles for a long time to come, even if its hampered by its resolution. The gear seems like even more of a demo device.

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/18216/20150102/oculus-rift-release-date-news-creator-palmer-lucky-expects-winter-2015-launch-for-facebook-owned-virtual-reality-headset.htm

This suggests CV1 will be out before the end of the year. IMO they need to have it on the Christmas market or the Rift will lose its status as the preeminent VR device. Although Mr Luckey does seem to be something of a perfectionist...

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/18216/20150102/oculus-rift-release-date-news-creator-palmer-lucky-expects-winter-2015-launch-for-facebook-owned-virtual-reality-headset.htm

This suggests CV1 will be out before the end of the year. IMO they need to have it on the Christmas market or the Rift will lose its status as the preeminent VR device. Although Mr Luckey does seem to be something of a perfectionist...
    Thats been debunked on reddit, pretty sure it was by Luckey himself.

There wont be any CV1 release until theres content, people are screaming for them to release it already but theres 0 point in releasing it if they dont have enough developers/publishers on board and they're nowhere near that at the moment, the list of large commercial games( non indy ) that currently officially support the Rift is still tiny:

- Elite Dangerous
    - WarThunder
    - DCS World
    - Half Life 2
    - TF2( not a great experience )
    - Alien: Isolation
    - iRacing
    - Assetto Corsa
    - Toybox Turbos
    - Grid Autosport
    - Euro Truck Sim 2
    - Live For Speed
    Most of these titles only have semi Oculus support, i.e. in beta/menus arent in VR/have VR issues, Elite, iRacing and Live For Speed are the only ones with full support( possibly Toybox Turbos also )

On the Horizon:
    - Project CARS
    - Eve Valkyre
    - Luckys Tail
    - Star Citizen( i doubt this is going to have any Rift support due to issues with CryEngine support and half hearted Rift support added )
    - Race Room Experience - works currently but crashes.

Im sure i missed a few and of course stuff that went open source like Doom/Quake have had support added and theres a load of indy stuff.
    For release existing game support needs a lot of work and it needs a lot more future new AAA titles having support, maybe Eve Valkyre will be its system seller but i dont think so, lets see.

CES is going to be really interesting, i hope they show off a new prototype and hopefully hand tracking from the companies they aquired a few months ago, maybe even a CV1 announcement.

lol@The "Oculus Killer" being revealed - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2rbshe/oculus_killer_booth_at_ces/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What other big competitors are there? The PlayStation's Morpheus and Samsung's VR?

What other big competitors are there? The PlayStation's Morpheus and Samsung's VR?
    Well Samsung's VR is just Oculus really, there's Totem - again vaporware, and ANTVR which looks like crap but they shipped and people started receiving them days ago so hopefully some fun youtube vids soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There wont be any CV1 release until theres content,
    I doubt that, developers won't bother making content for it if their customers don't have the rift. Until it's released no developers are going to waste time and money to go out of their way making content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is that "3D Head" a joke? Video of the kid is like something from the 80's. :confused:

Advertisement