Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I havent been able to play much during christmas because of a head cold. I hope CV1 will be lighter and easier to remove when you need to blow your nose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Honestly I think they are right to take there time and get it right, the first reaction most of my friends had to the oculus dk2 was nausea, even though it was hl2 running at a flat 75fps. The experience needs to be good.

Im even thinking for a proper consumer version it almost requires a console to create a uniform experience. It will only truely be a consumer version if people can press on, put on the headset and work from there, rather than all the current fun and games. Even then, if you get that side of it sorted on PC, your going get people trying it on there celeron laptops, wondering why its a pukefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

2015 CES - Engadget Interview with Palmer Luckey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpeKHBeLN6Y#t=137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got a DK1 yesterday, played around with it all afternoon, fantastic stuff.

The best hands down for immersion is the Arcade app where you can walk around playing different machines, and Star Wars: Battle for Endor. That one blew my mind, haven't played Elite: Dangerous but I would imagine that's the next step up. The sense of genuine immersion was insane, couldn't replicate it in any other demo. Being able to turn around and see R2-D2 right there as lasers fly past! Just insane. The Mech Game Vox Machine was a close second.

Only AAA game I tried was Alien Isolation, that worked perfect without any tinkering but the res is just too low for proper extended gaming experiences.

Cinema app is probably the most impressive app from a social point of view - the idea that you could sit in a cinema with a few friends, talking and using motion tracked avatars is something else. On DK1 the resolution isn't great for watching movies in the cinema app but it's still a lot of fun.

Also, from checking out 'Lurid Dreams v2', it's pretty clear in what area this is going to have a massive impact. Even on low-res DK1 this demo was astoundingly - and a little disturbingly - lifelike. OK it's sleazy but as a tech-demo it's one of the best available.

I thought I'd be tempted for DK2 but I think I'm more thinking now might as well just wait for consumer release. Did anyone here go from DK1 to 2 and was it worth it? The thing is, I would 100% see myself using the cinema app a huge amount, but the res is just too low on my DK1 for it to be genuinely immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Did anyone here go from DK1 to 2 and was it worth it?
    Yes, theres a massive difference, dont get me wrong DK1 was pretty cool, but compared to DK2 theyre a world apart. DK1 has the cool factor, DK2 is the start of when games can actually be played in VR. The image is fantastic( rez is still too low though ) and the positional tracking is a huge boost to the immersion.

Having said that its too close to the consumer version to recommend a DK2 and they'll probably have some prototype at GDC as they've done for DK1 and DK2.

• Advertisement

It's just so tempting! The Oculus page says shipping within 1-2 weeks, so no real waits, and it works out at €430 with shipping, customs and tax - people are looking for that 2nd hand on adverts in any case. If I could get about €200-220 for the DK1...Cv1 could be a year away. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If the CV1 does come out late in the year, do you guys reckon we'll be able to get hold of it for Christmas in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

If the CV1 does come out late in the year, do you guys reckon we'll be able to get hold of it for Christmas in Ireland?
    watch GDC/oculus reddit when GDC is on, they did that last year, put the DK2 on sale and i ordered an hour after DK2 went on sale( would have ordered it 20 mins from when it went on sale but their web server kept timing out ).

I got my DK2 at the end of July.
    It's just so tempting! The Oculus page says shipping within 1-2 weeks, so no real waits, and it works out at €430 with shipping, customs and tax - people are looking for that 2nd hand on adverts in any case. If I could get about €200-220 for the DK1...Cv1 could be a year away. :eek:
    Haha, been there. Get someone to give you a demo of DK2, if you order now you could flog it again if you got tired of it and not lose much money.
    I regularly throw on Elite Dangerous for a few hours in DK2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

So Microsoft are the stepping into the AR world....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah 430 is a lot.

Well I'm selling my second DK2 if anybody is interested. New in the box. I'm going to list it on Adverts for 350 but if a boardsie wants it I'll let it go for 300. I'll even reg post it. I'd rather it go to a forum user than some randomer. :)

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah 430 is a lot.

Well I'm selling my second DK2 if anybody is interested. New in the box. I'm going to list it on Adverts for 350 but if a boardsie wants it I'll let it go for 300. I'll even reg post it. I'd rather it go to a forum user than some randomer. :)

I'll take it at that! :D

CastAR will be shipping soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    I actually got a pair of them as well for a laugh, I went for the proper hard plastic over the cardboard for the sake of a few euro. I've heard decent things about them, I'll report back when they arrive!
    Did you try these? Finally got mine and its a thumbs up from me! Only tried the Cardboard demos because I dont have the connection down at the parents to get anything better but the short little tour of the Palace of Versailles was excellent, the 3D Windy Day cartoon was spot on aswell, I was a bit shocked at how good it was tbh, same for Google Earth. Thought it was a pile of sh1t when I tried it last night because of the double vision but I tried it again this morning and messed with the distance between the lenses and it was perfect.

Drawbacks are the narrow FOV and lack of input options. I managed to add the cardboard switch to the side with a magnet and washer I found in a drawer, it does the job but where are the voice controls? The Youtube app is great looking, you're standing in the middle of a sphere of links and you look at the one you want and hit the magnet and it snaps to a big screen view of the video but no search? You have to take these random bull**** Katy Perry, Rhianna and PewDiePew suggestions that appear? No play/pause/stop/volume control either. Also no options in settings, Id like to boost the sensitivity a bit as you do have to turn your head a lot.

Overall very impressed, this is the device you need if you want to follow developments in the Cardboard/SamsungVR/Android scene. Once I build a proper switch onto the side it will be near perfect. Suction pads to grip the phone in place aswell, totally superior to Cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you try these? Finally got mine and its a thumbs up from me! Only tried the Cardboard demos because I dont have the connection down at the parents to get anything better but the short little tour of the Palace of Versailles was excellent, the 3D Windy Day cartoon was spot on aswell, I was a bit shocked at how good it was tbh, same for Google Earth. Thought it was a pile of sh1t when I tried it last night because of the double vision but I tried it again this morning and messed with the distance between the lenses and it was perfect.

Drawbacks are the narrow FOV and lack of input options. I managed to add the cardboard switch to the side with a magnet and washer I found in a drawer, it does the job but where are the voice controls? The Youtube app is great looking, you're standing in the middle of a sphere of links and you look at the one you want and hit the magnet and it snaps to a big screen view of the video but no search? You have to take these random bull**** Katy Perry, Rhianna and PewDiePew suggestions that appear? No play/pause/stop/volume control either. Also no options in settings, Id like to boost the sensitivity a bit as you do have to turn your head a lot.

Overall very impressed, this is the device you need if you want to follow developments in the Cardboard/SamsungVR/Android scene. Once I build a proper switch onto the side it will be near perfect. Suction pads to grip the phone in place aswell, totally superior to Cardboard.

Have a cardboard on the way.. will see how it plays and might "upgrade" later.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/27/facebook-oculus-story-studio-virtual-reality-films

Oculus getting into filmmaking...I wonder will they be traditional linear narrative films though. Maybe 'experiences' is a better if vague word...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It could be interesting, people might experience films differently from each other. Not just taking a different message but actually seeing things from a different perspective. Would make talking about films interesting, one person could have been looking one way and the other the other way and they don't get the full picture until they talk to each other after the film.

Should be interesting, but its tough to see how it will work in some ways, a lot of cinema is perspective and camera angles. On oculus that means either you in the world and navigating your self or you have no control (which for me at least is nauseating). i can imagine having to watch a movie multiple times because im staring at some cool gun or fancy car instead of looking at some visual cues or characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

New Unreal Demo:

Next level stuff in the Rift.

Also, Dying Light adjusted for the Rift. Killing 980s so not quite consumer ready:

I've watched some of the Jaunt movie trailer's in the Rift, they're pretty cool but the problem is they're edited like normal movie trailers, with the normal quick cuts etc, so you have no real chance to take everything in unless you watch the trailers multiple times.

The WW2 one is great in the battle scenes, being able to look around at the carnage, and the Godzilla-esque movie is good fun as well.

There was a video of Enda Kenny trying out a DK1 on the six one news earlier.

The demo was just of animated red trees, shame it wasnt one of the demos to scare the bejaysus out of him!

• Advertisement

Anton Savage seemed to have his mind blown by the rollercoaster demo this morning

Tl4dfd5.jpg

Just played some Quake 2 VR. It's seriously impressive. Seriously nostalgic, too! Remember buying that when it came out on my Pentium I...

Just played some Quake 2 VR. It's seriously impressive. Seriously nostalgic, too! Remember buying that when it came out on my Pentium I...

I just learned of it last night, I was try to dl it all night with no luck, google docs keeps cutting out !

I did get quake1 vr, needs some tweaking (and boy do you need to turn off autorun) but its got decoupled aiming which is a must. Its good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Got a new GPU and thought it was a good time to revisit the Oculus again, I like to take breaks from it so when I return I can see better progress in the games / demos.

Falling in love with it all over again, New Retro Arcade is my absolute latest favourite. Would be an absolute blast if it were a solid multiplayer experience, walk around the arcade watching others playing...........like the good ol' days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Falling in love with it all over again, New Retro Arcade is my absolute latest favourite.
    Ahh, the peer pressure is killing me. Must. Wait. For. CV.

The RiftMax Cinema App and the Arcade are my two favourites.

Was watching Guardians of the Galaxy in the Riftmax cinema the last day, two guys just randomly join and sit down near me and start watching the movie as well. Turn to look at one guy, he's looking at me as well, and we just nod at each other and go back to watching the movie. Just so surreal....it really is incredible.

If there was multiplayer the Arcade App would be the OR's killer app. It's already brilliant fun as it is, feels a little empty though on your own. I can't think of anyone better (other than the cinema app) that's currently available that could showcase what the OR can really bring to social gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ahh, the peer pressure is killing me. Must. Wait. For. CV.

I'm saying this from my DK1, haven't even had the chance to try DK2 but I'm still well impressed with it. People have gotten a lot better with creating content for it and it really shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm saying this from my DK1, haven't even had the chance to try DK2 but I'm still well impressed with it. People have gotten a lot better with creating content for it and it really shows.

lol, thats not helping! :pac:

• Advertisement

After having the dk2 for a few months, i dont think its worth the investment (especially with the crappy exchange rate now). Its great fun at the start, but as an entertainment device it doesnt have the content to make it worth while.

Hl2 is the only quality fps, elite is fantastic but for trading and exploring its a pain reading the text.

The cv1 is also an insta buy for me unless its 1080p, and a beefy new graphics card so i can keep chasing 75 fps.

The best fun right now is watching my mates try the dk2 and there reactions (a suprising amount get nauesa !)

Advertisement