Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

imitation wrote: »
    After having the dk2 for a few months, i dont think its worth the investment (especially with the crappy exchange rate now). Its great fun at the start, but as an entertainment device it doesnt have the content to make it worth while.

Hl2 is the only quality fps, elite is fantastic but for trading and exploring its a pain reading the text.

The cv1 is also an insta buy for me unless its 1080p, and a beefy new graphics card so i can keep chasing 75 fps.

The best fun right now is watching my mates try the dk2 and there reactions (a suprising amount get nauesa !)

Yeah E: D is the killer app atm for the dk2 but I played so much during alpha and beta that I'm taking a break now. I'd be careful with buying a GPU because you not only have the CV1 to worry about but also Directx 12 too and current cards will not be able to take advantage of all the new DX12 features. That might not be a big deal but we really don't know how much of the DX12 features we will get with current cards.

As for your friends getting nausea, are you creating different calibration profiles for each of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Difference between DK1 and DK1 is huge - DK1 is very much a novelty, though still awesome, but DK2 is far more practical. Visually it's much better obviously, but being able to see and read text correctly (relatively speaking) makes a huge difference.

I bought a DK2 two weeks after getting a DK1....I think both were worth every penny to be honest! It's something you just keep going back to again and again.

Does anyone use VorpX? Having to pay 30 quid for it puts me off but if its as good as I'm led to believe, it would be very much worth it...great compatiability list with loads of AAA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My only interest in the DK2 is for sim racing. The comments I've read are a mixed bag, apparently it feels incredible just from a presence perspective, you really feel like you're in the car. But it doesn't have the detail or resolution to be practical for serious racing.

I think the experience and immersion in sim racing would trump the lack of resolution, I just don't want to pay for a DK2 only for it to be redundant and unsellable when the CV comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Does anyone use VorpX? Having to pay 30 quid for it puts me off but if its as good as I'm led to believe, it would be very much worth it...great compatiability list with loads of AAA games.
    Dont bother with it, i used Tridef and while relatively good just takes too much time messing with settings. None of the injectors are worth spending money on, the experience is nowhere near as good as with native games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Dont bother with it, i used Tridef and while relatively good just takes too much time messing with settings. None of the injectors are worth spending money on, the experience is nowhere near as good as with native games.

Agreed, I did go for vorpx in the early mania of buying OR stuff, but its not worth it. While its less fiddly than vireo for its own setup, the game your playing needs to be setup with a FoV and various other tweaks. Even after all that, you look where you shoot, there is no decoupled aim (like in HL2) which is downright crippling, I find I just can't play the game properly at all.
    As for your friends getting nausea, are you creating different calibration profiles for each of them?
    But then they wouldn't get Nausea ! I should alright, but most of them are crazy eager to go play elite rather than sit through even more clicking through stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

ScumLord wrote: »
    My only interest in the DK2 is for sim racing. The comments I've read are a mixed bag, apparently it feels incredible just from a presence perspective, you really feel like you're in the car. But it doesn't have the detail or resolution to be practical for serious racing.

I think the experience and immersion in sim racing would trump the lack of resolution, I just don't want to pay for a DK2 only for it to be redundant and unsellable when the CV comes out.

The immersion in sim racing does trump the lack of resolution. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Try MineCrift...that will make ANYONE nauseous...

imitation wrote: »
    But then they wouldn't get Nausea ! I should alright, but most of them are crazy eager to go play elite rather than sit through even more clicking through stuff.
    Ok but it only takes 2 minutes to calibrate it and then you have their profile stored forever as opposed to making them feel sick. I have about 20 profiles stored on mine, you just select their name from the drop-down list and they are good to try out the latest demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

anybody tried War Thunder on the Oculus?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.theriftarcade.com/vr-karts-demo-now-available-go-go-go/

Mario Kart knock-off: gonna have to get a Rift now...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kingtiger wrote: »
    anybody tried War Thunder on the Oculus?

Tried it back on DK1 one, not much use tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember the Mario Kart demo a guy made ages ago, was hoping for someone to make more complete version like this.

Oculus gaming tonight it is then :pac:

Want to try that so badly but I can't even begin to attempt using the Oculus hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Whenever I see demos or screenshots for OR games, they always seem to have two of these vertically-oriented pictures side-by-side, with only slight differences in the image of each. Is that actually how it looks when you use it? Is it going back to a more square aspect ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

C14N wrote: »
    Whenever I see demos or screenshots for OR games, they always seem to have two of these vertically-oriented pictures side-by-side, with only slight differences in the image of each. Is that actually how it looks when you use it? Is it going back to a more square aspect ratio?
    Oh God no, even Google Cardboard merges those images into a proper first person view. Its impossible to describe how well it works in words or Youtube videos. Thats why I dont think VR is just another gimmick this time, I think everybody will have one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just like your own two eyes overlap an image, the rift does the same.

It's more circular than rectangular, it's like looking through binoculars where two images overlap to give you one circular view.

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh God no, even Google Cardboard merges those images into a proper first person view. Its impossible to describe how well it works in words or Youtube videos.

So why bother with the parallel screens?

Anyone got any feedback on VR Karts?

So why bother with the parallel screens?
    I dont really understand the question, without parallel screens there would be no 3D effect or immersion, it would just be like moving your head so your tv screen fills your field of view.

• Advertisement

I dont really understand the question, without parallel screens there would be no 3D effect or immersion, it would just be like moving your head so your tv screen fills your field of view.

Sorry, I was talking about when websites show the two screens, presumably in an effort to give some remote inkling of what VR feels like....

The screen is split down the middle your left eye cannot see the image the right i eye see's and the right cannot see what the left is shown. The images are slightly different because what your own eye's see the world with slightly different images. Your brain as in real life puts the images together and you get a 3D image.

Squidwert wrote: »
    The screen is split down the middle your left eye cannot see the image the right i eye see's and the right cannot see what the left is shown. The images are slightly different because what your own eye's see the world with slightly different images. Your brain as in real life puts the images together and you get a 3D image.
    Yes I know, its not me that was asking about how it works or why its a split image.

Yes I know, its not me that was asking about how it works or why its a split image.

Ok sorry my bad

Sorry, I was talking about when websites show the two screens, presumably in an effort to give some remote inkling of what VR feels like....

No, that's just showing the image as it is outputted to the rift.

Do you have a 3D tv? If you download 3D movies, it's always a side-by-side image exactly as you've described. Your TV puts these images together in such a way that it gives you the 3D experience. Same thing as the Oculus does.

there is no way to really explain the Oculus Rift, you're better off just trying it.

No, that's just showing the image as it is outputted to the rift.

Do you have a 3D tv? If you download 3D movies, it's always a side-by-side image exactly as you've described. Your TV puts these images together in such a way that it gives you the 3D experience. Same thing as the Oculus does.

there is no way to really explain the Oculus Rift, you're better off just trying it.

I did (in that games shop in Maynooth) but it was just a blur.:(

You haven't tried it properly then, it has to be calibrated. Its jaw-dropping when you see it in action properly, not a cliche, guarantee you will be shocked.
    Squidwert wrote: »
    Ok sorry my bad
    Sorry mate it reads like I snapped at you there, not the intention :D

You haven't tried it properly then, it has to be calibrated. Its jaw-dropping when you see it in action properly, not a cliche, guarantee you will be shocked.

I figured as much. The guy had to adjust the strap to cope with my outsized noggin, and I've read that if the screens are even slightly out of position the experience is completely spoiled...

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I did (in that games shop in Maynooth) but it was just a blur.:(
    I think they only have DK1 in the shop. DK2 is an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Ok so theres a few things. First its an image for each eye, slightly offset for perspective.

Next the image is oval shaped because you arent looking directly at a flat screen, you are looking through a lens, as otherwise you could not focus on the image as its too close. The shape is to counter the lens distorsion and to allow for a bigger field of view for your perherphial vison.

Its tough to describe how it looks. Best I can think of is its like a pair of binoculars with no zoom.

Advertisement