Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know! Ive used them, Ive been following Oculus from the start, I spend 15 minutes every morning keeping up on developments...

IT IS NOT ME WHO ASKED HOW THEY WORK, it was the user Loafing Oaf.

Im getting pms from people explaining it to me aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thargor wrote: »
    I know! Ive used them, Ive been following Oculus from the start, I spend 15 minutes every morning keeping up on developments...

IT IS NOT ME WHO ASKED HOW THEY WORK, it was the user Loafing Oaf.

Im getting pms from people explaining it to me aswell :D

Haha sorry, i read his posts, scroll down a bit to see an answer, then back up and your post was the first i saw with "how do they work"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If I bought the OR DK2 in the morning what would I need to get up and running? A PC obviously I suppose, Min specs? Anything else?

Just curious

EDIT: Also what's the story with google cardboard glasses, Any good? Obviously not as good as OR but worth getting for a bit of fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Min specs?
    I would say Max specs :), at least in terms of GPU if you want to run more than just demos on it. 75FPS @ 1080p with twice the rendering required compared to a 1080p monitor is pretty damn heavy on the graphics card. I have a 780ti and can just about maintain 75FPS for Elite Dangerous( maxed, shadows on medium ), Assetto Corsa and Alien Isolation

I would say the minimum gpu would be an Nvidia 970 or AMD 290 anything less and you will get juddering or you'll have to live with crap gfx( kinda defeats the purpose of 'being there' ). CPU can be mid range

Demos on the other hand are usually not that demanding on the gpu, but you would tire of those after a few days.

On the "anything else" front, well cockpit games are the best as youre seated and it makes the experience/immersion 10 times better if you have a steering wheel or HOTAS for racers/flight games.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

How much would you expect to get for a second hand rift now ? Due to issues with sickness and elite being a disappointment I'm putting my rift up for sale. It's all boxed and everything, how much could I realistically expect to get for it now?

• Advertisement

spark1976 wrote: »
    How much would you expect to get for a second hand rift now ? Due to issues with sickness and elite being a disappointment I'm putting my rift up for sale. It's all boxed and everything, how much could I realistically expect to get for it now?

Well there's one on donedeal for 420 so I'd say in that ballpark

Its about €450 for a new dk2, considering its planted on a persons face and the lens can pick up scratches (so it wears and gets smelly quite fast) id pay between 350-400 at most, but thats me.

Ordered a google cardboard pack last night should have it tomorrow, Looking forward to trying it out I have no experience of VR aside from watching and reading hundreds of videos and articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Thanks for the replies lads. I forgot about done deal, it's a decent price I'd be happy enough to get about 370 for it... I'll be sorry to see it go, but just can't play games with the motion sickness :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Wonder would the rift $hit itself... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Rift might not, but i certainly would :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Valve and HTC have released the details of their VR headset.

1200 x 1080 per eye! 15 ft x 15ft motion tracking, 90hz refresh rate. Dev kits go out around spring with release planned for the end of the year. They've certainly thrown down the gauntlet to oculus.

ScumLord wrote: »

1200 x 1080 per eye! 15 ft x 15ft motion tracking, 90hz refresh rate. Dev kits go out around spring with release planned for the end of the year. They've certainly thrown down the gauntlet to oculus.

Yeah was just coming in to post, Party's really starting now hopefully this will give Oculus a kick up the hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Great news, competition will only help. Every big tech company seems to be jumping on the VR train. GDC will be very interesting this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah was just coming in to post, Party's really starting now hopefully this will give Oculus a kick up the hole .

I hope it gives them and facebook kick in the bollix.

Although given the massive success of the steam machine project after it was launched lat last year, :pac: I'm going to be a bit sceptical

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Bambi wrote: »

Although given the massive success of the steam machine project after it was launched lat last year, :pac: I'm going to be a bit sceptical

And lets not forget the Steam Controller! Hopefully HTC will give them the push they need.

Yeah, Valve have a terrible track record unfortunately, I kinda feel sorry for HTC, so many hardware vendors have been caught rotten by steamboxes, I can't help but feel HTC will have similar issues with there not being enough software to drive sales. I we'll be looking at valves small catalogue, a few demos and the ability to play steam games in theatre mode at launch?

Hopefully they will prove me wrong, it would be great to get a competitive market for VR.

To be honest I would say steam machines were delayed until this vr announcement, khronos and the controllers( with vr support ). This places valve in the best possible position in the vr space, complete hardware platform coupled with software delivery and an already huge loyal base.

They never said the hive was OLED and if its not i doubt it will be good enough unless they promise pled for the consumer version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So we now have three or four different groups looking to get VR control. Interesting.

So we now have three or four different groups looking to get VR control. Interesting.
    The more cash pumped into it the higher the chance of vr becoming very successful. I've no loyalty to any brand.

• Advertisement

Valve have proven they're a bit of a mess with this kind of thing tbh, I prefer Oculus's slow and steady approach so not getting as excited about this as everyone on Reddit seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lmimmfn wrote: »
    To be honest I would say steam machines were delayed until this vr announcement, khronos and the controllers( with vr support ). This places valve in the best possible position in the vr space, complete hardware platform coupled with software delivery and an already huge loyal base.

They never said the hive was OLED and if its not i doubt it will be good enough unless they promise pled for the consumer version

I honestly think steam machines and, more importantly, Steam OS were just a complete balls up. They'll have the same problem with VR as they have with linux, most of steams content just isn't supported

Still, good to see them row in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

with so many vr headsets coming about

if vr is to do well there needs to be a set standard otherwise itll end up with
    only a few games support it and it then dying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

http://attackofthefanboy.com/opinion/oculus-rift-danger-becoming-irrelevant/

Seeing a growing number of articles in this vein as more VR machines arrive on the scene. I wonder do these guys genuinely thunk the Rift will get left behind or are they just trying to ramp up the pressure on Luckey to get the damn thing out the door this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dunworth1 wrote: »
    if vr is to do well there needs to be a set standard otherwise itll end up with
    only a few games support it and it then dying
    Ya, hopefully valve and oculus can work together on a standard. If valve get to market first though I think they would be able to set the terms of VR for a while.

Maybe it will be a case of oculus going for the budget end supplying affordable VR where valve and HTC supply the high end experience. The valve kits certainly sound like there's more to it with full body motion sensors and a room experience. With two high res screens in the headset too it sounds like it's going to be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ya, hopefully valve and oculus can work together on a standard. If valve get to market first though I think they would be able to set the terms of VR for a while.

Maybe it will be a case of oculus going for the budget end supplying affordable VR where valve and HTC supply the high end experience. The valve kits certainly sound like there's more to it with full body motion sensors and a room experience. With two high res screens in the headset too it sounds like it's going to be pricey.

as cool as a room experience sounds
    i like most gamers am lazy and don't like jumping around the place
    hence why kinect pretty much failed i believe

if they push the room experience i dont really seeing it fully take off other than being a gimmicky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dunworth1 wrote: »
    as cool as a room experience sounds
    i like most gamers am lazy and don't like jumping around the place
    hence why kinect pretty much failed i believe

if they push the room experience i dont really seeing it fully take off other than being a gimmicky

Kinect failed because it DOESNT WORK. You cant have motion control where there is a massive lag between your actions and what happens on screen. Coupled with the fact that it isn't precise or sensitive enough to pick up your gestures, its just a complete mess.

People have no problem being active with their gaming. Everybody wants a holodeck. What people don't want is waggle control or flailing about like an idiot to accomplish something a button press could do.

The issue isn't people don't want motion control. The issue is people want motion control that works.....and we cant get a device powerful enough at a price the consumer will stomach yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kirby wrote: »
    Kinect failed because it DOESNT WORK. You cant have motion control where there is a massive lag between your actions and what happens on screen. Coupled with the fact that it isn't precise or sensitive enough to pick up your gestures, its just a complete mess.

People have no problem being active with their gaming. Everybody wants a holodeck. What people don't want is waggle control or flailing about like an idiot to accomplish something a button press could do.

The issue isn't people don't want motion control. The issue is people want motion control that works.....and we cant get a device powerful enough at a price the consumer will stomach yet.
    At the same time, you have to take into consideration real world limitations.

• People might not have much room
    • Hitting your head on things isn't great
    • The lazy equation
    • Wired asphyxiation/Wireless latency
    • Kid/idiot proofing
    • Cost/beefy rig paradox
    • Also, the nausea conundrum

Agree with that, it'll be commercial suicide for them to try and make this an immersive VR thing instead of just a display technology, nobody will want it. We dont all have community centre hall sized living rooms the way the advertising executives seem to imply.

• Advertisement

Yeah im the same, the most i want to move in a vr game is shift in my seat. The oculus is a mess already, feels like plugging into the matrix. Its not clear if the htc is wireless or not, but with 2 90hz 1280x1080 screens, its likely it wont be.

Personally im hoping for a resurgance of cockpit games like mechwarrior . I dont want to try and simulate walking fps style around the place at home, unless they make a holodeck.

Advertisement