Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has anyone tried one of these things? I can't see how it would replicate real-world walking around...

virtuix-omni-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

imitation wrote: »
    Yeah im the same, the most i want to move in a vr game is shift in my seat. The oculus is a mess already, feels like plugging into the matrix. Its not clear if the htc is wireless or not, but with 2 90hz 1280x1080 screens, its likely it wont be.

Personally im hoping for a resurgance of cockpit games like mechwarrior . I dont want to try and simulate walking fps style around the place at home, unless they make a holodeck.

I think VR is absolutely bang on for both cockpit simulation and top down views,

you may see a resurgence of some classic games in those genres as they're adapted for VR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bambi wrote: »
    I think VR is absolutely bang on for both cockpit simulation and top down views,

you may see a resurgence of some classic games in those genres as they're adapted for VR
    Hence space/race/simulation games are on the up.

I'd say a decent chunk of Euro truck simulator 2 sales were down to good VR support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Looks like sony are doing a me too putting out a bit more info about morpheus.

Cant say im too convinced, it will probably have a ps move selection of exclusive games rather than anything mainstream offering support due to the ps4s power.

Its also about the same as a dk2 with software 120hz. Id be interested to see if that actually worka though..

In other news I do find the whole thing where htc mentioned half life and everybody starts loosing there **** about half life 3 hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Half Life 3 is obviously being held back as a killer app when Valve finally manage to get any of this stuff moving, I remember saying that years ago on other forums.

One good thing about that Sony headset is it has a simple design quirk that lets you slide it to the side to do something in the real world then slide it back on without having to lift the whole thing off your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

A game developer explains why Morpheus will fail

yWKh9Lb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It doesn't seem like the Morpheous is anything more than a Sony prototype to show Sony are thinking about it.

It's likely they will wait and see how it goes on PC and leave VR for their next generation console. The PS is a closed shop so Sony are under very little pressure as no one else is going to be able to make a VR headset for the PS.

If VR fails, Sony can carry on as normal. If VR succeeds Sony get to bring a new PS out sooner to meet the demand.

Im a bit suprised they need to do a whole re write for morpheous, but sony do have a track record of poor dev kits. I really view it as more of a gear vr mk2 rather than zomg call of duty vr.

The fact that game devs are only switching to ps4 now as well means its questionable if they will ever take a gamble on morpheous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Of course we have all been here before. I remember reading in computer magazines back in the early 90's that the age of VR had arrived and was coming to a home console near you! :D

The 90's were so cheesy.:D

Has the second coming finally arrived? Only time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

^Well the trouble in the 90s was the resolution technology wasn't there, for VRnto be a success it HAS to have as high a resolution and refresh rate as possible. It's only now that we're even getting close to having systems capable of making it worthwhile. Because of this I actually wish they'd wait as long as possible so at least 4K becomes the standard of HD, the same way 1080p is at the moment.

If Sony launch Morpheus on PS4 then they're idiots and taking a massive risk of damaging the successful reputation they've built with the PS4 this gen.

• Advertisement

The wiki page for segas vr is pretty funny. They claimed it was too realistic and were afraid people would injure themselves.

Unoffically it apparently it gave people nausea and doctors warned about long term effects. Probably to be expected with a 7 mhz cpu !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's not even a 50% hit on the GPU.

Games on PS4 currently render in 900p (ish) and 30FPS.

1440x900x30 = 38,880,000 Pixels per second.

Lets assume there is no cost to having 2 smaller renders for the Morpheus and it is just a 1080p screen. But it needs to run at 120FPS

1920x1080x120 = 248,832,000 Pixels per second.

That is nearly 6.5 times the pixels rendered per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just saw this over on the retro forum, there have been some serious updates to Retro Arcade :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks awesome. I'd never leave it :P

that Gameboy seriously needs the light attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I'm seriously considering selling my Oculus DK2, I just haven't had the time to really use it as the main machine I had intended to use it in conjunction with just can't drive decent VR programs (works OK for demos but can't really perform in games like Asseto Corsa / ETS2

Is there a decent market for re-selling the DK2? Or am I better off holding on to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hercule wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering selling my Oculus DK2, I just haven't had the time to really use it as the main machine I had intended to use it in conjunction with just can't drive decent VR programs (works OK for demos but can't really perform in games like Asseto Corsa / ETS2

Is there a decent market for re-selling the DK2? Or am I better off holding on to it?

These seem to get snapped up over on Adverts for decent coin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was on the verge of buying one, but i think i'll hold off the consumer edition or Valve's Vive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

price/worth of them is only going to go down as release looms imo

Like Kiith, I was considering one for ages, but now Im going to hold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kiith wrote: »
    I was on the verge of buying one, but i think i'll hold off the consumer edition or Valve's Vive now.

Do we have a confirmed release date on the OR yet?

Wossack wrote: »
    price/worth of them is only going to go down as release looms imo

Like Kiith, I was considering one for ages, but now Im going to hold out
    Or, maybe collectors items :P

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Or, maybe collectors items :P

yeah the Valve one will come with attachable hats which you can collect

C14N wrote: »
    Not that I've seen. Valve seem to have stole their thunder by announcing a date. I suppose it would be unlikely that they can get to market before valve or we would have heard something about it by now.

Here's the latest bit of Luckey-parsing on that...
    Oculus Rift Consumer Launch May Not Be This Year, Founder Implies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not that I've seen. Valve seem to have stole their thunder by announcing a date. I suppose it would be unlikely that they can get to market before valve or we would have heard something about it by now.

Yeah, I'm wondering how Valve/HTC's one will stack up in comparison. I mean they don't have the several years of hype and word-of-mouth that OR do and they probably haven't been working on it as long. I hope it can gift the Rift a real run for its money and not just be a low-priced imitation.

Yeah, I'm wondering how Valve/HTC's one will stack up in comparison. I mean they don't have the several years of hype and word-of-mouth that OR do and they probably haven't been working on it as long. I hope it can gift the Rift a real run for its money and not just be a low-priced imitation.
    Few comparisons put Crescent Bay as the best quality of image.

Valves tech is cool and all that jazz, but working with a 15x15 box still isn't much progress...

I thought valve had been secretly working on this tech for years just never thought they'd bring it to market until OR came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sold my DK2 the other day. Had a blast with it, but time to sell it while it's still worth money and patiently await for consumer release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Sold my DK2 the other day. Had a blast with it, but time to sell it while it's still worth money and patiently await for consumer release.

did the same too

Advertisement