Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 merble

Folks...Im looking to rent an OR with a flight simulator for a launch event...does anyone know where I could rent one ??...all help and pointers welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm thinking of buying a new pc at the minute but would hold off if the specs weren't good enough for the Rift, do we know what will be required to power the dual display on the consumer version yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Thargor wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a new pc at the minute but would hold off if the specs weren't good enough for the Rift, do we know what will be required to power the dual display on the consumer version yet?

It was all over the web a few weeks ago

But...I'd still wait if I were you. Nvidia announced the specs of the 980ti yesterday and also teased some more about VR specific tech in the new card. However, Nvidia have a habit of making announcements about new features and then not delivering for years (e.g. gsync and VR direct). It's a good way to make someone ont he fence think twice about buying an AMD card.

AMD will be announcing their stuff at computex and e3 this month and I'm sure they'll have VR specific tech too.

If either of them can get VR SLI/Crossfire scaling right then you should be ok to buy something like a 970 or 290 now and then slot in an extra one when you need an upgrade. Early benchmarks from pcgamer are showing that 2x970s are about 6% better than 1 980ti for standard gaming at about the same price. If they can optimise SLI/Crossfire for VR rendering then perhaps the benefit will be even more than 6% in VR and maybe worth having to cope with the extra noise and thermal problems.

Thanks for that, problem was I really wanted a gaming laptop this time, I suppose there isn't a hope of an Oculus experience there...

Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot a bit with these specs? Only the highest end rigs will be able to meet requirements. I wonder if I should just go ahead with my laptop plan and forget about VR for this generation...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thanks for that, problem was I really wanted a gaming laptop this time, I suppose there isn't a hope of an Oculus experience there...

Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot a bit with these specs? Only the highest end rigs will be able to meet requirements. I wonder if I should just go ahead with my laptop plan and forget about VR for this generation...

I have no idea about what the tech, but from what I've read a really high-powered laptop, possibly next-gen, would do the job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

Better off with a beast rig and a semi decent lappy (Top CPU/half decent GPU).

Specs are pretty soft in my book. All i need is a €200 GPU and i qualify :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

Better off with a beast rig and a semi decent lappy (Top CPU/half decent GPU).

Specs are pretty soft in my book. All i need is a €200 GPU and i qualify :pac:

Where can i get a 970 for €200 ? :D

The Problem with VR is that up until now the target was a average 30-60fps at 1080p single image and thats what every thing is optimized around. Now for VR we will need 90 fps for two images, with some extra post processing like for chromatic aberration etc etc. On top of that, every PC gamer has stuck through 20fps on low settings while they wait to upgrade, thats not gonna be an option with VR, its 90 fps or its pukesville. So until it goes proper mainstream with nvidia and amd fully on board you'll have to get the high gpus.

Its kind of why im going to cross my fingers and stick with the dk 2 and hope it supports some of the games, and wait for the new gpu tech before upgrading my 670.

Due to my current work/living situation and desktop I build would be sitting idle 50% of the time in an empty house, I want the laptop with me so I can game down home whenever I want, this is the laptop Im thinking of going for:
    http://mysn.co.uk/xmg-u705-gaminglaptop
    XMG U705 17.3" ULTIMATE Gaming Notebook
    Display
    1 x 17.3" (43.9cm) Full-HD LG LP173WF4-SPD1 (1920*1080) Matte IPS€0.00

Graphics Card
    1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8192MB GDDR5 + NVIDIA "The Witcher 3" Gaming Voucher (while stocks last) €378.78

Processor
    1 x Intel Core i7-4790K | Quad Core | 8 Threads | 4,0 - 4,4GHz | TDP: 88 Watt €164.48

Memory
    1 x 16GB (2x8192) SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM 2133MHz HyperX Impact€134.37

SSD Drive 1
    1 x 120GB m.2 SSD Kingston (SM2280S3/120G) €77.60

SSD Drive 2
    1 x No SSD €0.00

Hard Drive 1
    1 x 750GB SATA-III 7200rpm Western Digital Black (WD7500BPKX)€62.55

Optical Drive
    1 x No External Optical Drive €0.00

WIFI Card
    1 x Qualcomm Atheros Killer Wireless-AC 1525 (with Bluetooth) €32.43

Keyboard
    1 x Backlit Keyboard UK €0.00

Warranty
    1 x Standard Warranty : 24 Month Collect & Return (inc parts, labour, support, shipping) €0.00

Operating System
    1 x No Operating System €0.00

Office Software
    1 x Microsoft Office 365 30-day trial version (only when Windows 7 or 8 is ordered) €0.00

Power Cable
    1 x UK Power Cable €0.00

I suppose if the CV Rift delivers everything people hope I could wait a year or 2 and build a beast of a desktop on the cheap using Bargain Alerts/adverts, you dont think there'll be any point plugging a CV rift into that laptop^?

I suppose if the CV Rift delivers everything people hope I could wait a year or 2 and build a beast of a desktop on the cheap using Bargain Alerts/adverts, you dont think there'll be any point plugging a CV rift into that laptop^?

The spec is probably ok except the rift requires HDMI 1.3 output. That laptop does have HDMI 1.4a but unfortunately it can only output 1080p @ 60Hz. It's a common problem for people with gaming laptops and the current Oculus Rift DK2
    Maximum supported output resolutions:

HDMI: 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
    2x DisplayPort: 2 x 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz or 2560 x 1600 @ 120Hz

You might be able to use a Display Port to HDMI adpator, I'm not sure.

Display Port to HDMI adpator seems to be the accepted method on the Oculus reddit for people struggling with HDMI 1.4a from a quick glance. Also thats an upgradeable CPU and GPU in that laptop anyway so I think I'm just going to chance it, I am so sick of browsing on my piece of crap nevermind trying to get the odd game running...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Due to my current work/living situation and desktop I build would be sitting idle 50% of the time in an empty house, I want the laptop with me so I can game down home whenever I want, this is the laptop Im thinking of going for:

Personally I would buy the laptop in that case, I dont think any VR experience in the next year or two is worth halving your potential gaming time for. I dont think it will play nice with laptops due to port issue discussed on top of the fact driver updates are really infrequent.. I like my dk 2, and im getting into it again after the vorpx update, but still it only gets a few hours a week of use at most, due to the facts its a pain the arse to get a game running at, its a bit off putting when your tired and there arent shiny new games on it.

imitation wrote: »
    Personally I would buy the laptop in that case, I dont think any VR experience in the next year or two is worth halving your potential gaming time for. I dont think it will play nice with laptops due to port issue discussed on top of the fact driver updates are really infrequent.. I like my dk 2, and im getting into it again after the vorpx update, but still it only gets a few hours a week of use at most, due to the facts its a pain the arse to get a game running at, its a bit off putting when your tired and there arent shiny new games on it.
    This is my thought aswell, it could still be years away from maturity and by then if I really want it it should be no trouble to throw a decent desktop together from HotUKDeals and Bargain Alerts. thanks, sorry if that was o/t, further critiques of that laptop spec or alternatives welcome :D

Where can i get a 970 for €200 ? :D
    Who needs a 970.

A 290 or 290x will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Who needs a 970.

A 290 or 290x will do the job.

They are nowhere near €200 though either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I knew I was going to have to up the graphics card but now it looks like my i5 2500k isn't going to be up to it at all:(

Bambi wrote: »
    I knew I was going to have to up the graphics card but now it looks like my i5 2500k isn't going to be up to it at all:(

It'll be totally fine if you overclock it, which is what it's designed for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

This Master PC Race lark is expensive business!

I dont see myself with a Rift rig anytime soon thats for sure!

It'll be totally fine if you overclock it, which is what it's designed for :)

Overclocking feels me with as much fear as switching processors does nowadays

Last time I did any of this **** was in the core II duo days

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Overclocking the last few K Intel processors is really really easy. Even easier than it was in the Core 2 Duo days. The 2500ks are great overclockers.

Bambi, i have a great guide for the i2500k i can send you.

Helped get mine up to 4.4ghz!

Aftermarket heatsink is crucial though :P

• Advertisement

Bambi, i have a great guide for the i2500k i can send you.

Helped get mine up to 4.4ghz!

Aftermarket heatsink is crucial though :P

Fire her on so, thanking you

Well darn, now I have a shiny new tri x R9 290 on the way from ccl with all this talk of cheap radeons. Got one for £180, but at least my old card had good trade in value.
    Nice.

Was offered a used 290 tri-x for £150 but he was quoting p&p for £30 so i said no thanks.

2 more weeks and we'll see what the 300 series can do. :D

On a side note, going to set up Skyrim today with Vireio and see how i get on with the 7870. :pac:

Oculus revealing some more info about their products today at 6pm our time:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/june-11-special-event-livestream-plus-new-oculus-logo/

Lots of rumours popping up but don't be surprised if they spend a good bit of time on the GearVR. One of the most wishful thinking rumours that only popped up yesterday is that Oculus may use Valve's hand input solution. I think they are going to have to reveal some launch games at this stage and it's possible that they could announce that they are taking pre-orders which would leave us with a dilemna (Vive or Rift).

Sorry, I was talking about new prices. You'd want to be deaf with those reference cooled 290's though.

I bought one in 2013 thinking I could put up with a bit of noise. They're a joke altogether - more or less sounds like a hairdryer when you're playing games.

Got rid of mine shortly after getting it. It was unbearable.

Unless you're spending more on a 3rd party cooler or water cooling I would advise anyone to avoid them, I'd rather a 280x than a reference 290.

Sorry, I was talking about new prices. You'd want to be deaf with those reference cooled 290's though.

I bought one in 2013 thinking I could put up with a bit of noise. They're a joke altogether - more or less sounds like a hairdryer when you're playing games.

Got rid of mine shortly after getting it. It was unbearable.

Unless you're spending more on a 3rd party cooler or water cooling I would advise anyone to avoid them, I'd rather a 280x than a reference 290.
    Which is why i haven't bought one.

Holding out for a right priced tri-x, vapor or powercolour pcs+.

The AMD leaks don't look too promising for 380/390s so 290 still seems best bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

The Problem with VR is that up until now the target was a average 30-60fps at 1080p single image and thats what every thing is optimized around. Now for VR we will need 90 fps for two images, with some extra post processing like for chromatic aberration etc etc. On top of that, every PC gamer has stuck through 20fps on low settings while they wait to upgrade, thats not gonna be an option with VR, its 90 fps or its pukesville. So until it goes proper mainstream with nvidia and amd fully on board you'll have to get the high gpus.

Another problem is that some games won't run @ 90fps no matter how good your specs are. Arma 2 is a bug culprit of this, runs like a pig.

Even hatred runs like a pig on high end systems even though its an isometric shooter, not that youd play that on a VR headset.

Valve released a manual for the dev kit, hopefully the retail version is way less hassle, I draw the line at drilling in wall mounts just to play games

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/8/8747067/valve-vive-manual-instructions-virtual-reality

seems like a lot of devs are having problems with steam not always recognizing the units at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The 2500k can be overclocked to 4.5 ghz in about 10 minutes. It's very simple and makes a massive difference.

Advertisement