Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Cheers for the heads up on Adverts.
    I use them for work. Simple set up, and a decent amount of experiences out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up on Adverts.
    I use them for work. Simple set up, and a decent amount of experiences out there.

Mailed you there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oculus founder doing the company no favours on the cover of Time:

EXJRlwQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thargor wrote: »
    Oculus founder doing the company no favours on the cover of Time:

EXJRlwQ.jpg

Haha I saw that one. Imagine it, your a 22 year old whos managed to drum up interest in a technology that even Steve Jobs would have a job to ressurect. You have been brought out for billions, and all you need now is the Time magazine cover, and then bam, they make that cover !

Imagine you get to go to his office one day to meet him and that bad boy is stuck up on the wall next to all his other awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

imitation wrote: »
    Haha I saw that one. Imagine it, your a 22 year old whos managed to drum up interest in a technology that even Steve Jobs would have a job to ressurect. You have been brought out for billions, and all you need now is the Time magazine cover, and then bam, they make that cover !

Imagine you get to go to his office one day to meet him and that bad boy is stuck up on the wall next to all his other awards.

I genuinely think that the sheer awfulness of the cover and feature was a publicity ploy by Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Time and other major corporate influences.

Seen a quote somewhere saying 'The cover alone will push back VR adoption by 1 year.'

:pac:

p92RCzo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

I'd say Trackmania 2 would be absolutely insane on the Rift and quite sickening!
    Be sure to crank it to 60fps.

I have to play hl2/quake 2 with walk on with the rift to prevent sickness. I tried tf2 once, it was a spewfest, i couldnt play for more than 2 minutes. I think trackmania would have a similar problem :D . I think the brain takes issue with appearing to move at neck snapping g forces.

• Advertisement

Never realised Trackmania 2 held your hand like that so much, it was practically steering the car for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Never realised Trackmania 2 held your hand like that so much, it was practically steering the car for him...
    I think it's just that track. Its designed to be like that. No way is it suited for VR though

Good thanks, finally have a pc that can run it at the fps it deserves so its on my list after Witcher III, big fan of the first even though driving games aren't really my thing. Cant wait to try a proper driving sim in the Rift though, surprised Oculus arent pushing that more, it would be a company maker for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Still looking for a couple more DK1s if anyone is interested in selling.
    Cheers for the hat tip re adverts earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Am I the only person who didn't notice that valve had pushed a steam VR beta thingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bambi wrote: »
    Am I the only person who didn't notice that valve had pushed a steam VR beta thingy?

What's that all about? For the HTC devs?

Noticed my nvidia driver is telling me there's a new windows 10 driver with extra vr support this evening but I'm not touching it, pc hasn't crashed in a week and I want to keep it that way..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Still looking for a couple more DK1s if anyone is interested in selling.
    Cheers for the hat tip re adverts earlier!

I might be moving mine along . sure drop us a pm and ill see what I can do.

What's that all about? For the HTC devs?

Noticed my nvidia driver is telling me there's a new windows 10 driver with extra vr support this evening but I'm not touching it, pc hasn't crashed in a week and I want to keep it that way..

I dunno, it makes big picture mode workable on the DK1 anyway,

Plays TF2 too. That's come on a good bit since the last time I played it on the rift

The internet seems to have lost interest completely. I want my CV1, whats happening lately?

The internet seems to have lost interest completely. I want my CV1, whats happening lately?

Good question, seems like hardly anything of interest is going on, either on the new products front or even on DK2 demos/games. I guess it's the calm before the storm, everybody's holding off for CV1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

imitation wrote: »
    Good question, seems like hardly anything of interest is going on, either on the new products front or even on DK2 demos/games. I guess it's the calm before the storm, everybody's holding off for CV1.
    and Oculus continually breaking backwards compatibility with their latest SDK's. Elite is broken on 0.7 so theres even more hoops to go through to get it working on windows 10 and 0.6, its getting pretty annoying at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm so ridiculously excited for VR. Eve: Valkyrie looks absolutely gorgeous. I think this probably is the calm before the storm. There is going to be a media blitz in the build up to release early next year I would say.

Here's a question I have, though:
    How on Earth am I supposed to choose between the Rift and the Vive? On one hand, the Rift is the one that's started the whole modern VR phenomenon, whereas the Vive is getting some damn fine reviews, including being the only one that maps out a whole safe space in the room with Lighthouse.

The Rift has some great looking games from the get go, but the Vive is Valve's baby and as such will probably have the best support. I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I have a strong suspicion that HL3 is going to be a Vive-exclusive VR game, and I'll be kicking myself for going Oculus if that happens. I know it is just a guess but it is one thing that would be a big enough leap forward to justify the wait. It would also be a genius move to piggy back the Vive on HL3's credentials to beat the Oculus. Format wars are always difficult (VHS v beta, Bluray vs HDDVD, consoles), can you imagine the advantage a HL3 exclusive would give?

Are 90% of games going to be compatible with most major headsets or is this kind of a way to shoehorn console-type bullshit exclusivity into the PC market?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm so ridiculously excited for VR. Eve: Valkyrie looks absolutely gorgeous. I think this probably is the calm before the storm. There is going to be a media blitz in the build up to release early next year I would say.

Here's a question I have, though:
    How on Earth am I supposed to choose between the Rift and the Vive? On one hand, the Rift is the one that's started the whole modern VR phenomenon, whereas the Vive is getting some damn fine reviews, including being the only one that maps out a whole safe space in the room with Lighthouse.

The Rift has some great looking games from the get go, but the Vive is Valve's baby and as such will probably have the best support. I know I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I have a strong suspicion that HL3 is going to be a Vive-exclusive VR game, and I'll be kicking myself for going Oculus if that happens. I know it is just a guess but it is one thing that would be a big enough leap forward to justify the wait. It would also be a genius move to piggy back the Vive on HL3's credentials to beat the Oculus. Format wars are always difficult (VHS v beta, Bluray vs HDDVD, consoles), can you imagine the advantage a HL3 exclusive would give?

Are 90% of games going to be compatible with most major headsets or is this kind of a way to shoehorn console-type bullshit exclusivity into the PC market?

Half life 3 isnt coming. It's not worth the financial risk to steam as a platform of it flopping.

Kirby wrote: »
    Half life 3 isnt coming. It's not worth the financial risk to steam as a platform of it flopping.

I saw the same article, I didn't buy their argument, and Valve responded by saying that they would never let fear of the reaction be a reason to not make/release a game.

It's coming, it's just a question of when.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say the vast majority of games will be cross platform, and will work on both the Vive and Oculus. If they really want the VR platform to succeed, they need to collaborate on the tech, and ensure that there standards setup for it, which will allow developers to make games for either platform. Financially, it's the only way VR could ever possibly work.

And I'd seriously doubt HL3 will be Vive exclusive. If they ever do make it, they want it to be available on the widest array of platforms, and cutting of half the VR user base wouldn't be a good idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Completely indifferent to VR, in its current form it's not a viable consumer platform, it's a niche product in need of much refinement. Once it's no longer tethered then it'll really take off, but until then it's a product for early adopters to enjoy and to tell their friends and the world about how much they enjoy it

I think there's two types of people, the ones who see the future and the ones who go "the future isn't wireless? ermehgod"

Seriously, my interest in current gaming has died a death when I got my heads on the DK1. I barely open steam anymore, I'm just waiting for the vive to come along

I think VR is going to make 2D gaming obsolete in jig time

Completely indifferent to VR, in its current form it's not a viable consumer platform, it's a niche product in need of much refinement. Once it's no longer tethered then it'll really take off, but until then it's a product for early adopters to enjoy and to tell their friends and the world about how much they enjoy it

Have you ever tried one of the newest headsets?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Zillah wrote: »
    Have you ever tried one of the newest headsets?

Only oculus, is there one out that addresses the issues I've brought up?

• Advertisement

The tether is not that big a deal, you're not going to be running around like laser tag in the bowling alley, most people will be using it for sitting in a cockpit of some kind of vehicle, Id say there's enough of a market just in flying and driving sims to sustain it. Plus its a whole new ecosystem for developers, if we could predict whats coming we'll be millionaires, the thing about VR is that a killer app wont just be a good game, it will be a mindblowing experience that everybody will want to try.

Advertisement