Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Only oculus, is there one out that addresses the issues I've brought up?

I was just checking to make sure you weren't under estimating how mind-blowing modern VR is. It's very easy to dismiss based on lots of lame 90's attempts that make the whole thing sound a little lame and dorky, instead of the absolutely amazing experience that it is. (Although as a side note, you would have been using one of the developer kits, which are more primitive prototypes, and if it was one of the older ones it wouldn't have been anywhere near as impressive as the final commercial release)

The only issue you've actually brought up is the tethering aspect, and the vast majority of uses involve people sitting in a chair, so I don't think that's going to be a huge problem. They'll definitely be more niche than, say, gaming consoles, but that doesn't mean they're non-viable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You can't seriously believe that they're ready to be considered a viable consumer platform?

Facebook spent two billion dollars buying Oculus Rift - they certainly seem to think so. What I find bizarre is that you think it is incredibly obvious that they're not viable consumer products. There are three devices - Rift, Vive, and Playstation VR - all shipping consumer products either Q4 2015 or Q1/2 2016, so by definition they are going to be consumer products, and I seriously doubt that that many companies would be spending that much money if they didn't think they were going to be viable.

I don't think we'll see one in every home, but that doesn't mean they're not going to be viable. It is very easy to fall into the trap of assuming our current technology is all people will be interested in:
    http://www.techhive.com/article/155984/worst_tech_predictions.html

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    - Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

Perhaps you could tell us why you think there will not be viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can't seriously believe that they're ready to be considered a viable consumer platform?
    It's already a viable and profitable consumer platform. Oculus couldn't keep up with demand for their dev kits, even though everyone was told straight up it's only going to be a cut down version of the real consumer headset. It's likely that they'll also sell consumer headsets to the majority of people who bought dev kits.

I was at the grand designs exhibition in Birmingham last week and Oculus is being used commercially already, architecture companies have jumped all over VR to sell their designs. In a commercial setting I can see many, many companies utilising VR to demonstrate their products.

Everyone involved in simulation has been waiting for this product for years. It's actually going to save people a fortune as the only alternative to VR is a triple screen setup, which is expensive and takes up loads of space. VR will be significantly cheaper than any current setup that can achieve something similar.

All VR companies need to do to be viable is make a profit. Oculus is a profitable company and they haven't even sold one consumer unit.

Wireless and possibly mixing in augmented reality features will be an important step to make VR a household item, but in the meantime the wired headsets will sell to all the people who want or need one. Which is many, many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone know anything about the HTC event on the 20th of October, few places saying you can only watch in in VR but no mention of only in VR on the htc website, there's no leaks on the new m10 phone or consumer vive, expecting something Big from HTC..wonder will they launch limited vive's straight after it http://au.idigitaltimes.com/htc-vive-consumer-edition-might-be-unveiled-oct-20-109248

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Anyone know anything about the HTC event on the 20th of October, few places saying you can only watch in in VR but no mention of only in VR on the htc website, there's no leaks on the new m10 phone or consumer vive, expecting something Big from HTC..wonder will they launch limited vive's straight after it http://au.idigitaltimes.com/htc-vive-consumer-edition-might-be-unveiled-oct-20-109248

Doesn't look like it :(:(

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/654771937441288192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

will be demoing the rift tomorrow cant wait to see what it has to offer

levitronix wrote: »
    will be demoing the rift tomorrow cant wait to see what it has to offer

Can I come too?

work promotional event only, im still waiting its not till 10 pm, cant wait to try iracing on the rift and what ever else they have

Any chance they'll have Eve: Valyrie. I think that's what I'm most excited about for now.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else have a dk2?, are you thinking what i'm thinking seen as the Vive might go on limited release on the 8th:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Does anyone else have a dk2?, are you thinking what i'm thinking seen as the Vive might go on limited release on the 8th:):)

I dont know??? What are you thinking.

Double post

Squidwert wrote: »

There sold out and and only about 10 in the world for sale right now, there's a uk one ending in 17hrs that's already over 600 http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Oculus-Rift-DK2-Virtual-Reality-Headset-/221926551752?hash=item33abda70c8:g:PUgAAOSwAYtWMke7 average asking price seem to be around 900 now..
    Ours could be worth 2k in a week if this continues...

The ones we tried out in work were DK2 but i wouldnt be spending my money on yet! experience was great but graphics was grainy and fitment not great everyone including myself said we could see black rings were the screen size was a little too small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

levitronix wrote: »
    The ones we tried out in work were DK2 but i wouldnt be spending my money on yet! experience was great but graphics was grainy and fitment not great everyone including myself said we could see black rings were the screen size was a little too small
    youll not be impressed with the consumer version, ~same FOV and picture will still be pixelated
    looks like the vive is delayed until next year, they removed that it would be out at the end of the year from the website

lmimmfn wrote: »

looks like the vive is delayed until next year, they removed that it would be out at the end of the year from the website

Limited quantities available in the UK, Germany and USA supposedly on the 8th of November.

I think people could be way off on the pricing, cant see this been available for anything less than 700 quite possibly a good bit more.
    If you had to pay for a developer edition I think I was around 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Limited quantities available in the UK, Germany and USA supposedly on the 8th of November.

I think people could be way off on the pricing, cant see this been available for anything less than 700 quite possibly a good bit more.
    If you had to pay for a developer edition I think I was around 3k
    isint he 3k for the hololens DK? pretty sure you could apply on Steam for a Vive if youre a dev and it was probably free, similar to what they did with steam machines
    i would say youre close on price, id think 600-700

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

There sold out and and only about 10 in the world for sale right now, there's a uk one ending in 17hrs that's already over 600 http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Oculus-Rift-DK2-Virtual-Reality-Headset-/221926551752?hash=item33abda70c8:g:PUgAAOSwAYtWMke7 average asking price seem to be around 900 now..
    Ours could be worth 2k in a week if this continues...
    Hmmm....interesting :pac:

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hmmm....interesting :pac:

Just think when that sells in a few hours there'll be on 5 left for sale in Europe, one on Amazon France for 800 and these 4 on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/B00XIH76S6/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all for that one in eBay comes close to 800 I'm selling be mad not to.

Just think when that sells in a few hours there'll be on 5 left for sale in Europe, one on Amazon France for 800 and these 4 on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/B00XIH76S6/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all for that one in eBay comes close to 800 I'm selling be mad not to.
    I don't see the reason for the prices though?

There's a few hundred thousand (Maybe about 120-140k) of these floating about..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm still getting use out of mine. When a release date has been nailed down, I'd consider selling but not until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow looks like Gear VR is going to be an actual thing, very impressive for $99 (+ a Samsung Flagship of course). Its the quality of games though but I could see this becoming a pretty established platform.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow looks like Gear VR is going to be an actual thing, very impressive for $99 (+ a Samsung Flagship of course). Its the quality of games though but I could see this becoming a pretty established platform.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/

I had one, it's nothing compared to the rift, ones powered by a gtx 970 the other by a samsung s6, no comparison.
    Tried a cardboard the other day and it was comparable to the samsung just a bit flimsier.

Half life 2 is for sale in the steam store for about €2.50 works with dk2

Haven't managed to get it working myself but only spent about 20 mins trying just getting a blank oculus but vr dual screens on the monitor. Just need a little more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Half life 2 is for sale in the steam store for about €2.50 works with dk2

Haven't managed to get it working myself but only spent about 20 mins trying just getting a blank oculus but vr dual screens on the monitor. Just need a little more time.

I havent been able to get it going since the summer, i think valve more or less broke it.

I think its the new SDK versions that broke it. I'm still on 0.4.4 and have ETS2/AI/Skyrim all working. Only Elite doesn't work for me (obv need latest sdk).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whats the best HW/SW setup for a DK2 these days? I had been using it with a Win 8 laptop (which was only basic usable for basic demos) but bought a decent PC thats landing in shortly (i7, 8Gb Ram, 980GTX) with Windows 10. I vaguely remember there being hassles with Win 10 and the DK2 initially, is that still the case?

Advertisement