Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Looks like the vive won't be out until april now, any release date for the oculus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bambi wrote: »
    Looks like the vive won't be out until april now, any release date for the oculus?

Just "Q1" still. They just announced that you will get Eve: Valkyrie with preorders:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-10-pre-order-oculus-rift-and-get-eve-valkyrie-free

Rew wrote: »
    Just "Q1" still. They just announced that you will get Eve: Valkyrie with preorders:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-10-pre-order-oculus-rift-and-get-eve-valkyrie-free

I wouldn't touch anything CCP release :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wouldn't touch anything CCP release :D

MMOs are an utterly rotten genre, but Eve is probably the best of them - and it does have a pretty interesting setting. I have a soft spot for CCP. And the trailer for Valkyrie looks quite good - space shooter is definitely a very strong format for taking advantage of a VR headset.

I rarely pre-order, but I'm pretty excited about VR and think I will take the plunge, knowing it is a gamble, no matter what anyone says at this point - so I may as well get a free game out of it.

Given that that article doesn't direct me to actually order it anywhere I take it this pre-order system isn't live yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They just said pre order will be available in Q1, so probably launched Q2..
    Still a bit of life left in the dk2 then, had intended to sell it and get the early vive but looks like HTC gone back to the drawing board..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Now is the time to get your money back for the DK2, regret not buying one now as people predicted this would happen. CEX will probably take it off your hands for good money.

Zillah wrote: »
    MMOs are an utterly rotten genre, but Eve is probably the best of them - and it does have a pretty interesting setting. I have a soft spot for CCP. And the trailer for Valkyrie looks quite good - space shooter is definitely a very strong format for taking advantage of a VR headset.

I rarely pre-order, but I'm pretty excited about VR and think I will take the plunge, knowing it is a gamble, no matter what anyone says at this point - so I may as well get a free game out of it.

Given that that article doesn't direct me to actually order it anywhere I take it this pre-order system isn't live yet?

CCP ruined the V:tm franchise and earned my eternal hatred. They come across as a one hit wonder outfit

So DK2 Runs great with Win 10 on decent spec machine, just had a great laugh in the office playing "I expect you to die"

CCP ruined the V:tm franchise and earned my eternal hatred. They come across as a one hit wonder outfit

They were going to make an MMO and then cancelled it, which was probably a good idea because I don't think a WoD MMO would ever have worked. WoD is still being published by Onyx Path, which is essentially White Wolf Publishing 2.

So if by ruined you mean "hold the rights to make a VTM game but haven't yet" then sure.

Thargor wrote: »
    Now is the time to get your money back for the DK2, regret not buying one now as people predicted this would happen. CEX will probably take it off your hands for good money.

No need to flip it this side of christmas, dev's/business will probably be mad for them in January. It's looking like May/June for consumer version. A good condition one is now 500/600 on eBay. Can't see cex buying them.

• Advertisement

So if by ruined you mean "hold the rights to make a VTM game but haven't yet" then sure.

They sat on the title for a decade and then cancelled it when they realized they were overstretched, that's ruined enough for me. Thankfully Paradox have bought the property off them and have plans for it now

CCP always struck me as one hit wonders, high on hubris but failed at everything they've tried other than the core of EVE.

It's looking like May/June for consumer version.

Nooooooo!

First No Man's Sky, now this.

No need to flip it this side of christmas, dev's/business will probably be mad for them in January. It's looking like May/June for consumer version.

Where did you see that? Serious Dev's are being shipped CV1 already, Q1 launch still whats being publicly said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

"HTC Vive to demo a 'very big' breakthrough in VR at CES"

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/htc-vive-vr-big-breakthrough-ces/

Doge wrote: »
    "HTC Vive to demo a 'very big' breakthrough in VR at CES"

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/htc-vive-vr-big-breakthrough-ces/

What do they mean that the Oculus Rift doesn't have object tracking? What does that mean? Google isn't much help.

Also this is a bizarre sentence: "In a recent survey conducted with her engineers, 80 percent of the group raised their hands when she gave a price considered to be affordable for them, based on their pay."

What? I'm going to take a guess based on context that she named a specific price and asked people to raise their hand if they considered it affordable?

Article is dodgy as hell generally, I'd be astounded if it wasn't paid for by HTC. Stuff like this is just so pejorative:
    Wang remains confident that people will prefer the Vive's more complete user experience, immersive feeling and quality of content. "Why would I buy a handicapped product? You won't like it." That's mainly referring to the Oculus Rift's lack of object tracking, though the exec acknowledged that from developers' perspective, they need these low-end platforms as well to achieve a sizeable market

Casually referring to the Rift as a "low-end platform" is a bizarre thing for a journalist to say given how up in the air the whole market still is.

This came straight from the Vive's marketing department.

What do they mean that the Oculus Rift doesn't have object tracking? What does that mean? Google isn't much help.

They mean the objects in your room, which the Vive can detect if you get too close and warns you.

I don't expect the vive to be expensive somewhere between €300 and €500, if it's got no brains and the pc is doing all the work, it's the screen, 2 controllers and lots of plastic, €150 for screen, €50 per controller, good dvi cable €25, plasticky mouldings and straps €100 and camera/sensors another €50,
    €429 would be about right, $399 state side and £320
    About the cost of an Xbox one or ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Rew wrote: »
    Whats the best HW/SW setup for a DK2 these days? I had been using it with a Win 8 laptop (which was only basic usable for basic demos) but bought a decent PC thats landing in shortly (i7, 8Gb Ram, 980GTX) with Windows 10. I vaguely remember there being hassles with Win 10 and the DK2 initially, is that still the case?
    You can use the .5 runtime in win 10 along with .7 or .8 so you can still play elite etc as well as the more recent stuff, and switch between runtimes before starting games.
    I'm running on windows 10 with a 6 core Xeon x5650, 980ti, 9 gig ram, everything is smooth as butter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

lmimmfn wrote: »
    You can use the .5 runtime in win 10 along with .7 or .8 so you can still play elite etc as well as the more recent stuff, and switch between runtimes before starting games.
    I'm running on windows 10 with a 6 core Xeon x5650, 980ti, 9 gig ram, everything is smooth as butter

Yeah got sorted, everything running really nicely. Can't get a lot of old stuff working but no big loss (and I didn't try that hard). Huge difference between this and running it on a laptop for the last year. Loads of craic with Keep Talking and Affected yesterday.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

Are the controllers wireless, that would be a breakthrough not to be tethered to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Are the controllers wireless, that would be a breakthrough not to be tethered to anything

Hard to say really, the pictures above are renders, but they do seem to be wireless.

Wireless headset would be the iceing on the cake

I genuinely don't get the insistence on wireless, I'll take the inconvenience of a wired headset to avod latency and interference any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder could you get around the wireless headset thing by just using a laptop? Stick the laptop on your back and you could basically be running around fields.

I could imagine a VR FPS that's in a warehouse kitted out with sensors. Everyone has a strap on computer that can run the rift and their playing over a lan. The area you could move around in would be huge.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder could you get around the wireless headset thing by just using a laptop? Stick the laptop on your back and you could basically be running around fields.

I could imagine a VR FPS that's in a warehouse kitted out with sensors. Everyone has a strap on computer that can run the rift and their playing over a lan. The area you could move around in would be huge.

Yeah there are loads of demos of people doing it like that

The HTC and Oculus controllers are wireless already

ScumLord wrote: »

Thats exactly what the The VOID are doing with their VR Theme Park, (well not specifically using a laptop but same idea).

They're using their own technology including the headset though, good video interview here:

http://www.techinsider.io/inside-the-virtual-reality-theme-park-the-void-2015-9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Advertisement