Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone seen definitive specs yet? Will a 980 and 16 GB RAM be enough? Oculus or Vive...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bambi wrote: »
    ibthl3meme

Believe!

this was the recommended specs months ago but I don't know if this wil still be the case come release

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    8GB+ RAM
    Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
    2x USB 3.0 ports
    Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Thanks, I should make it comfortably I think. I suppose they cant make it only playable by the top 1% of gaming pcs or it will look like a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone seen definitive specs yet? Will a 980 and 16 GB RAM be enough? Oculus or Vive...

Absolutely. The standard RAM for gaming is 8GB which is typically more than most systems need unless you're doing a tonne of multitasking.

The 980 would likely be perfect for a good 3D experience.

• Advertisement

Well its a 980M but what difference could that make? ¬_¬

4 USB ports! I can do it but it will be messy...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ondafly wrote: »

from memory, the vive dev edition only requires one usb port. Seems odd

is usb 3.0 an absolute must do you reckon and would a usb 3.0 splitter work as I think I only have 2 on my mobo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A splitter is just for expanding the amount of devices you can connect, it's still bottle-necked by the source USB port. I assume this device needs so many ports because of the amount of data that needs to be transferred... so a splitter wouldn't help at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis often for power requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I don't think a splitter will work otherwise why didn't they just combine all the cables together.

3 x USB 3.0 ports is going to be a big ask since it's only relatively recently that they've started appearing in greater numbers than 2! I know I'll need to get an extra hub just to free up some ports while still keeping everything else connected. Also the more wires headache.
    Wossack wrote: »
    tis often for power requirements

Possibly but a standalone power brick would have been a better option as it's generally easier to get that extra power socket than it is to get the extra USB port.

That many ports could be the deciding factor between competing systems for a lot of people, they'll have to rethink it, USB 3.0 carries large amounts of data, 3 ports must be overkill? Id rather another power supply if its a power requirement...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's just for power then a powered USB hub would work. Still a pain in the ass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jesus, 3x USB 3.0 is quite a bit for a lot of builds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id say this is USB's to charge the controllers not ones required to actually use the headset

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oculus Rift v1.0 is finished, and has started (or will start very soon) to ship to developers apparently.

http://www.pcgamer.com/final-rift-hardware-and-sdk-10-shipping-to-devs

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Jesus, 3x USB 3.0 is quite a bit for a lot of builds.

Indeed. The octopus rift

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jaysus those USB requirements are strange! Especially only show up so late in the game.

EDIT: The source seems to be Reddit/imgur - I'm not sure how official this is.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Jaysus those USB requirements are strange! Especially only show up so late in the game.

EDIT: The source seems to be Reddit/imgur - I'm not sure how official this is.

The source is good, its up on the Oculus site:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/ (click the view recommended specs button)

Rew wrote: »
    The source is good, its up on the Oculus site:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/ (click the view recommended specs button)
    Ironic that they use such a clean minimalist workstation as the main pic on that page when the reality is going to look like a phone exchange in Mumbai...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I might have missed it but no one seems to be talking about what looks like a camera on the front of the Vive?

I can think of so many cool things that it would add
    a button to switch from VR to seeing whats in front of you with out taking off the headset
    even better mix the video from the camera with computer generated images to make 3d models look like they are in the room with you
    use the video camera to show where your hands are in a game
    I sure there is load more things that i'm not even thinking about yet?

any thoughts?

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say it so your not waking into things and can see through the headset probably also scans the room like the Xbox for objects, the gear VR lets you use the back phone camera as your vision on the screen. Feels very weird, like waking around in a VHS home movie.

Coyote wrote: »
    I might have missed it but no one seems to be talking about what looks like a camera on the front of the Vive?

I can think of so many cool things that it would add
    a button to switch from VR to seeing whats in front of you with out taking off the headset
    even better mix the video from the camera with computer generated images to make 3d models look like they are in the room with you
    use the video camera to show where your hands are in a game
    I sure there is load more things that i'm not even thinking about yet?

any thoughts?

Coyote

So you can see your opponent wearing his ridiculous captain riker style armour?

Bambi wrote: »
    So you can see your opponent wearing his ridiculous captain riker style armour?
    Captain? Riker? Armour? Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »
    Captain? Riker? Armour? Wha?

I am guessing a reference to this?
    zzyM5OI.jpg

Zillah wrote: »
    I am guessing a reference to this?

Yeah for some reason I thought this scene was so nonsensical it must have occurred on the holodeck :o

• Advertisement

Advertisement