Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Gods, I'm suddenly so skeptical of Oculus and how good it's going to be. Development seems to have been quite quiet with less news, and now a Pre-Order is going to be up at the same time as the final kit, before we've even had a decent look at it.

Maybe it's the skeptical gamer in me, but I've seen far too many cases like this where it ends up being a kick in the teeth.

I'm not sure why any of this warrants a bad reaction though - what exactly has you concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm not sure why any of this warrants a bad reaction though - what exactly has you concerned?

I get nervous when things go up for sale/pre-order before the final product has actually been seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I get nervous when things go up for sale/pre-order before the final product has actually been seen.

There has a been plenty of people who have been hands on with the final version to date so its not going to be landing with no-one know what to expect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty sweet for anyone who backed it. Was a big risk back then though, so no less then they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

HTC's breakthrough was the option to show people and objects around you. Thought this was already being worked on.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/htc-vive-virtual-reality-chaperone/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Rew wrote: »
    damn sweet, i backed on Kickstarter so mega to be getting one for free. I think there were about 4 or 5 from Ireland who backed on Kickstarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HTC's breakthrough was the option to show people and objects around you. Thought this was already being worked on.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/htc-vive-virtual-reality-chaperone/

hoppefully this starts some sort of beatles/stones, blur/oasis rivalry between both fanbases :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ireland is one of the 20 countries that Pre-Orders go Live for tomorrow. 4PM. F5 keys at the ready Gents!!

It pays to have Facebookulus European HQ here :D

Calibos wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the 20 countries that Pre-Orders go Live for tomorrow. 4PM. F5 keys at the ready Gents!!

It pays to have Facebookulus European HQ here :D

Are there limited supplies for preorders or is this just for the novelty of getting in first?

EDIT: Also a bit cheeky going on sale tomorrow with still no mention of final price or release date. They'll have to give a release date for preorders, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are there limited supplies for preorders or is this just for the novelty of getting in first?

EDIT: Also a bit cheeky going on sale tomorrow with still no mention of final price or release date. They'll have to give a release date for preorders, surely?

No chance of them selling out according to Luckey https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684103486145867776

Wonder will they just take deposit or try and hop your card for the full amount, not sure if the 2 free games will be with non pre orders but they probably will or some other games.

Wait and see or pre order or wait for Vive pre order? Mmmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No chance of them selling out according to Luckey

So long as you don't mind waiting till 2018 to actually get your hands on the hardware I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say it'll ship in a few weeks, it will be before Q2 as the first round are coming with Xbox one wireless controllers as the oculus controller is delayed until Q2 sometime.
    Unless there's an option to buy without the Xbox controller I might give the first batch a skip as I already have 2 xbox controllers. That alone if they add the wireless adapter and the recharge kit is over 100e your spending just for the xbox controller.

I'd say it'll ship in a few weeks, it will be before Q2 as the first round are coming with Xbox one wireless controllers as the oculus controller is delayed until Q2 sometime.
    Unless there's an option to buy without the Xbox controller I might give the first batch a skip as I already have 2 xbox controllers. That alone if they add the wireless adapter and the recharge kit is over 100e your spending just for the xbox controller.
    Palmer himself said the controller costs very little compared to a regular consumer buying it so I doubt they will be knocking 50/100euro off if you don't want the controller

On shipping I would say mid Feb, closing date for Kickstarter backers is 1st of Feb and apparently we're to be included in first shipments.

Reminds me I need to get a pcie card for USB 3 as my PC is old and USB 2 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say so. I'm sure they're expecting a big rush once they start selling.

I assume they're going to have to come out with the price tomorrow too.

I'm very tempted, yesterday I was telling myself I would at least wait to hear some sort of a comparison with the vive. But I've been hearing some initial reports that the oculus has better FOV, which will be important for sim racing.

I also get the impression the vive may be taking on too much, they're trying to be all things to all people. Oculus have been very methodical and practical about their development. They didn't panic when the vive showed their room experience and stuck to their plan.

It gives me the impression the rift will be a much more robust product. It may not have the same list of features but it will do what it's intended to do very well.

My bank account is still suffering after the Christmas so I definitely won't be buying it today, but maybe over the next two weeks.

My PC is four years old and while a processor upgrade and new graphics card would probably do the job for VR I'm going to buy a new rig from scratch. So with that outlay already, I'll wait and see what the verdict is before buying either headset, if that means risking missing out in the first rush so be it.

I'm heavily leaning towards the vive but their development process seems to have been really steep rather than steady improvement so I'll want to see how that plays out in the retail version first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm all for VR having had my fun with DK1 but I'd need an upgrade for meself to get the proper experience with the end products.

Still, by the time I do they'd hopefully have ironed out a few kinks and there'd be a good selection of new and retrofitted games by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Im going to stick with my GearVR and dk2 for the foreseeable. Im sure the CV is a big step up and all, but my pc just meets the recommended spec and I feel the first games are going to be relatively limited. To be honest as well, I am not filled with confidence with the way the drivers for dk2 constantly broke non oculus experiences, or even the way valve broke HL2 for dk2. I am going to hold tough and wait for a good catalog of games and see which side is the most open source friendly so I can be happy that Vorpx and other experiences will still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

imitation wrote: »
    To be honest as well, I am not filled with confidence with the way the drivers for dk2 constantly broke non oculus experiences, or even the way valve broke HL2 for dk2.
    That was always going to happen with the development kit.

imitation wrote: »
    Im going to stick with my GearVR and dk2 for the foreseeable.

Whats the gearVR like? I haven't read much feedback on it.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    My PC is four years old and while a processor upgrade and new graphics card would probably do the job for VR I'm going to buy a new rig from scratch. So with that outlay already, I'll wait and see what the verdict is before buying either headset, if that means risking missing out in the first rush so be it
    I don't know, depends on your CPU, I'm rocking a rig that will be 7 years old in march other than a 980Ti I stuck in it last year and upgraded CPU to one released 7 years ago. I still get well above specs required for the rift and get well over 16000 in 3d mark latest version.

Can't afford it now, but will pre-order it once my next paycheck comes in. Hopefully it won't take too long to be delivered.

I have a horrible feeling they're not going to confirm a release date today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

hopefully they give at least an RRP..

Ah, i thought they'd released that already. Definitely not pre-ordering before knowing the release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

whats the pre-order site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

been playing with TrackIR recently for head tracking in war thunder, and its amazing. Oculus Rift if they bring back support for it I can only assume will be a 10 times better experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Skerries wrote: »
    whats the pre-order site?

Details will be posted in about 2 hours when pre-orders open.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I don't know, depends on your CPU, I'm rocking a rig that will be 7 years old in march other than a 980Ti I stuck in it last year and upgraded CPU to one released 7 years ago. I still get well above specs required for the rift and get well over 16000 in 3d mark latest version.

Current processor is a core i5 2500k so I'd probably have to jump that up, Graphics card needs to be upgraded. Would probably need to do something about usb ports too, the 3.0 ports have always been flaky. I'm think its easier just to bite the bullet and upgrade the lot, go ssd etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The DK2 was OK, but the resolution and pixel pitch meant you could easily make out each pixel, also dept suffered in racing games because you couldn't really see that far. This set is 25% or 30% more pixels. I'd say you'd need at least triple the pixel count to make me interested.

Most people are blown away with the initial experience, but that soon wears off leaving you with very poor visuals.

Advertisement