Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd say you'd need at least triple the pixel count to make me interested.

Assuming you mean three times the DK2:

You want a headset with 2880 x 3240 for each eye? For a total processing load of 5760 x 3240 pixels. Bigger than a 4k television. In a headset. Or do you mean the commercial spec? 6460 x 3600 in total.

Yeah, stupid VR, why isn't it literally giving me a blow job?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This guy gives a bit of a comparison on the rift CV and the vive DK. He admits it's not a completely fair comparison, comparing a CV with a DK but it's just to give some idea of the differences.

He says that screen door and other VR nasties just aren't as noticeable in the CV rift. He does admit that he got caught up in the immersion and kind of forgot to take notice of those things, but the fact it's not obvious is a good sign.

He could just be so used to his DK2 rift that any improvement will seem more pronounced to his experienced eyes, and that someone coming to it fresh is going to notice the nasty VR effects more readily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bambi wrote: »
    Current processor is a core i5 2500k so I'd probably have to jump that up, Graphics card needs to be upgraded. Would probably need to do something about usb ports too, the 3.0 ports have always been flaky. I'm think its easier just to bite the bullet and upgrade the lot, go ssd etc

Just overclock it a bit! If not the good news is it's still one of the most in demand CPUs on the second hand market. An absolute beast IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Bambi wrote: »
    Current processor is a core i5 2500k so I'd probably have to jump that up, Graphics card needs to be upgraded. Would probably need to do something about usb ports too, the 3.0 ports have always been flaky. I'm think its easier just to bite the bullet and upgrade the lot, go ssd etc
    have you overclocked that? honestly i would say youre 100% fine with that cpu if you overclock it to 4.4+ Ghz, very few games are cpu bound and even my setup easily manages the 75FPS of DK2 and i cant see any problem hitting 90FPS in the CV1. Youre much better off spending what you can on a decent gpu.
    SSD's you can pickup for ~50 euro and its one of first upgrades everyone should consider, its a huge improvement in overall PC use when the boot drive is SSD( 15 seconds boot into windows and no chugging after the desktop appears ).
    Thats just my take on it anyway as intels improvements on CPU's have been so minor since the Bloomfield's that its just not worth the cost of a complete new rig when you can overclock the existing cpu's so much.
    Course thats not to say i dont like shiney new things :)

Zillah wrote: »

You want a headset with 2880 x 3240 for each eye? For a total processing load of 5760 x 3240 pixels. Bigger than a 4k television. In a headset. Or do you mean the commercial spec? 6460 x 3600 in total.

Dunno those to girls in the R2D2 onesies were pretty convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Zillah wrote: »

so lets actually work this out then shall we?

1,036,800 = 960 x 1080 (DK2)
    5760 x 3240 = 18,662,400
    18,662,400 / (1, 036, 800 * 2) = 9 (your estimate)

good man! and gl with your BJ!

Unless the visuals are on point, VR will always be a gimmick, releasing this too early before screen tech is on point could spell the end of VR.

Credit card at the ready 41 minutes to go!!!!

BTW on the USB 3 requirements am I missing something in thinking just get a powered hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Or a new motherboard, I've one to sell : ), 1 minute

ScumLord wrote: »
    This guy gives a bit of a comparison on the rift CV and the vive DK. He admits it's not a completely fair comparison, comparing a CV with a DK but it's just to give some idea of the differences.

He says that screen door and other VR nasties just aren't as noticeable in the CV rift. He does admit that he got caught up in the immersion and kind of forgot to take notice of those things, but the fact it's not obvious is a good sign.

He could just be so used to his DK2 rift that any improvement will seem more pronounced to his experienced eyes, and that someone coming to it fresh is going to notice the nasty VR effects more readily.

Very encouraging. If he's a shill he's a very well timed one!!!
    so lets actually work this out then shall we?

1,036,800 = 960 x 1080 (DK2)
    5760 x 3240 = 18,662,400
    18,662,400 / (1, 036, 800 * 2) = 9 (your estimate)

good man! and gl with your BJ!

Unless the visuals are on point, VR will always be a gimmick, releasing this too early before screen tech is on point could spell the end of VR.

Alright alright math fail on my part. I didn't realise you meant total pixel count.

EDIT: Oculus Shop is showing a blank white screen. It's not down, per se; the website is running, it's just not showing any content.

• Advertisement

Load, god damn you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

$599!!!!!

$599!!!!!

Seriously? :(

(Yeah just loaded for me. Yiz bolloxes ye. I bet they figured anyone that cares to preorder would pay through the nose anyway. I'm hesitating now. That's a lot more than I was hoping for)

$599!!!!!

Move over if you're not buying it :P I can't get on the bloody site!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Blank page when you hit pre order : (

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Just got on there and they have rounded it to €699 if you click Ireland!

€699!!!!!!!!!111 :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

US shop is up so fired up vpn and yep $599! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Unreal, was half interested at the dollar price, but will probably get an ultra wide monitor instead now.

The thought just struck me now, so, others may know how big a deal the vive front facing camera is. This possibly opens up the vive to augmented reality like the microsoft hololense. If it does than that's a huge development, much much better than just letting you not fall over stuff ^ ^.

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That's insanely expensive :(

Rounding up for the euro is a shitty move.

Just saw on twitter than the UK is getting GBP500!!! That's $730, hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

700 blips?

Remember lads, Palmer said it's an investment!

I guess this means HTC are going to totally ride us on the vive price

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It also says 'Does not include tax and shipping'

Shipping extra is fine but how much would the tax be?

The thought just struck me now, so, others may know how big a deal the vive front facing camera is. This possibly opens up the vive to augmented reality like the microsoft hololense. If it does than that's a huge development, much much better than just letting you not fall over stuff ^ ^.

Couple that with a 3D camera and I'm enjoying thinking of the possibilities.

Not including shipping LOLacus (tax included for Ireland)

And... credit card declined lol - even AIB think I'm being hosed.

The HTC guys said devs would have full access to the camera so I assume thats what he was driving at

not-sure-if-you-can-shut-up-and-take-my-money-or-not.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No chance in hell i'm paying that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

OSI wrote: »
    $599 ~= €560
    + 23% VAT ~= €689

Not much of a round up.

you know those calculations are wrong right ? its 699+vat !;)

Advertisement