Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I always forget the yanks and their weird tax sales price habits. Both my cards are being rejected. My only guess is that I had to use Eircode for the postcode section, they wouldn't just accept the Dublin area, which is what my bank would have as my billing address.
    geotrig wrote: »
    you know those calculations are wrong right ? its 699+vat !;)

I can't get to the final confirmation screen but the preview says the 699 does not include shipping - not mention of tax.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Wow thats a lot more then I thought :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

geotrig wrote: »
    you know those calculations are wrong right ? its 699+vat !;)

Nope. €699 inc vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

Nope. €699 inc vat.

my bad i thought when i had it open it said 699+vat :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

€742 delivered to Ireland. Laughable price, and they've just lost a **** load of potential customers.
    We're roughly in that ballpark … but it's going to cost more than that,” Oculus Founder Palmer Luckey told Road to VR, when asked if the consumer version of Oculus would have a similar price tag to the company's developer kits. The Oculus DK 2 kit cost $350, while the original TK 1 cost $300

Ballpark me hole! :mad:

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I always forget the yanks and their weird tax sales price habits. Both my cards are being rejected. My only guess is that I had to use Eircode for the postcode section, they wouldn't just accept the Dublin area, which is what my bank would have as my billing address.

I can't get to the final confirmation screen but the preview says the 699 does not include shipping - not mention of tax.

I think it might be some kind of blanket ban, probably think it's fraud. Card declined here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

€741 including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone used a vat number, are they knocking it off with it, stuck on my credit card bouncing back due to a hold from the cc company...might be a sign from the gods. Wait for the Vive.

Kiith wrote: »
    €742 delivered to Ireland. Laughable price, and they've just lost a **** load of potential customers.

Ballpark me hole! :mad:

Okay you're mad, understandable but they know they can't keep up with demand so they'll sell high, then prices will reduce. Number of potential customers lost - negligible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was totally prepared to throw down a pre order. The price made me do a Patrick Stewart patented quadruple take.

• Advertisement

How did you get that far? I can't get past the billing screen, which still doesn't give a total.

I wonder how long until the price drops? Like, a few months, or in a couple of years?

How did you get that far? I can't get past the billing screen, which still doesn't give a total.

I wonder how long until the price drops? Like, a few months, or in a couple of years?

When a competing product launches.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't. I only got to the €699 for Ireland, and laughed my way off the site. Got that figure it from Reddit.
    Okay you're mad, understandable but they know they can't keep up with demand so they'll sell high, then prices will reduce. Number of potential customers lost - negligible.
    Except a lot of people will buy the Vive once it's released, assuming they aren't stupid and charge insane prices as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I was expecting something a bit cheaper, that would be the higher end of what I would expect for a vive.

Then there's the controllers which have to be bought separately. Perhaps it's a placeholder price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Of course there will be customers lost. There's competition on the horizon and I don't think anyone was expecting it to be that high. It makes sense now when they said a few days ago they won't sell out.....bloody know why now.

Corholio wrote: »
    Of course there will be customers lost. There's competition on the horizon and I don't think anyone was expecting it to be that high. It makes sense now when they said a few days ago they won't sell out.....bloody know why now.

I've 10 widgets to sell

In 4 weeks competitor will have 10 widgets to sell.

Do I sell 9 widgets at €1000 or 200 widgets at €500 knowing 100 widget buyers will cancel when I can't supply them and order competitor widget.

The only customers Oculus will lose are those who feel cheated a negligible number who don't understand supply and demand economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bahahaha

Go home Oculus, you're drunk.

Card going through. Wife is going to ****ing kill me!

742 Jesus there must be a €1 danger money for Kilbarrack!
    You'll be charged when your order ships. Tax is included in order total.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Charging completely different prices for different countries is a bit of a kick in the teeth. I expect the internet to go on a rage spree. For anyone wanting to buy now I'd wait to see how they react to the inevitable backlash.

It's not a huge increase though. I knew their initial estimates of a subsidised (by facebook) $300-400 was nonsense.

oh

CYDOXwpUEAIxUOf.jpg:large

Well I'm not going to sit here constantly trying to pay you, Oculus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do I sell 9 widgets at €1000 or 200 widgets at €500 knowing 100 widget buyers will cancel when I can't supply them and order competitor widget.
    That's generally not how companies price their products. They need to make a return, not pluck numbers out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

$599 was $1 under the limit of how much I was willing to spend on this, went to check out and selected billing country Ireland. Price is now €699. **** right off, ill stick with TrackIR at €150.

I didn't. I only got to the €699 for Ireland, and laughed my way off the site. Got that figure it from Reddit.

Except a lot of people will buy the Vive once it's released, assuming they aren't stupid and charge insane prices as well.

They will, and I suspect some conversations have been had between HTC and others...

Prices will reduce, I'm also a bit disappointed - don't say one thing and do another, but really saw this coming a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Free hat* with the vive to justify an even higher price

*no physical hat included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I've 10 widgets to sell

In 4 weeks competitor will have 10 widgets to sell.

The only customers Oculus will lose are those who feel cheated a negligible number who don't understand supply and demand economics.

Your completely disregarding the build up the launch, questions asked of the developers etc. I'm not saying it'll be incredible amounts of people but there will certainly be some and for better and valid reasons than 'not understanding supply and demand economics?' It's even higher than the high end of what a lot of people thought.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Charging completely different prices for different countries is a bit of a kick in the teeth. I expect the internet to go on a rage spree. For anyone wanting to buy now I'd wait to see how they react to the inevitable backlash.

It's not a huge increase though. I knew their initial estimates of a subsidised (by facebook) $300-400 was nonsense.

They're not.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    That's generally not how companies price their products. They need to make a return, not pluck numbers out of thin air.

They do.

No company works on X return they work on maximum possible return.

Corholio wrote: »
    Your completely disregarding the build up the launch, questions asked of the developers etc. I'm not saying it'll be incredible amounts of people but there will certainly be some and for better and valid reasons than 'not understanding supply and demand economics?' It's even higher than the high end of what a lot of people thought.

I'm actually not - I concede a certain amount of disappointment.

but really saw this coming a mile off.

Why didn't you save us the shock you jerk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Does that even include import duty?

• Advertisement

Why didn't you save us the shock you jerk

LOL okay guts of a grand, maybe didn't see that! But to be fair that includes VAT etc.

Advertisement