Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zillah wrote: »
    Why didn't you save us the shock you jerk

I got told I was way off with this guess a few weeks back :D

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd say you're looking at 500-600 for the rift or vive alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Does that even include import duty?

Fecking better LOL! I'll look for confirmation once the dust settles and update.

No way in hell I'd pay import on top of VAT.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was expecting half the price considering they said the ballpark retail price would be similar to DK prices.

What a complete RIP off. They said 2016 is the year of VR. Not at this price its not.

EDIT: Here's an interview where he said it would be ballpark 350 dollars

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's insane money for this. I'd have considered it at €400 and ultimately said no, however, I'd have probably pulled the trigger on it at €300. Seven fupping hundred quid though? GTFO Rift. That's entry level 3D printer money and if I'm indulging in a piece of tech that's cool but that I ultimately don't need, a 3D printer's FAR more interesting a prospect than a Rift.

I blame Paddy Cosgrave

• Advertisement

Just got an email from OR telling me preorders are open, and there will be rift ready PCs for sale that will include a rift..starting at $1500 american dollah

Presumably that's going to be rounded up in euros to the equivlalent of liberias deficit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't ever buy a branded PC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fecking better LOL! I'll look for confirmation once the dust settles and update.

No way in hell I'd pay import on top of VAT.

Not sure if it is duty exempt but if not it would be like 800-€900?

I think the dev kit may have had something low like 2.9%

I was expecting half the price considering they said the ballpark retail price would be similar to DK prices.

What a complete RIP off. They said 2016 is the year of VR. Not at this price its not.

EDIT: Here's an interview where he said it would be ballpark 350 dollars

He said more than that to be fair, and the US don't include tax. So lets say 425 is a reasonable figure for 'more than 350'.

€395 + 23% VAT = €485. I have to admit that was what I was expecting + a bit for shipping + import so c. €550. So €742 is disappointing but not enough to stop me buying it after the DK2 I had.

I suspect we'll see sub €500 VR on the likes of Amazon for Xmas 2016 with much better back up etc than is going to be available through being an early adopter.
    Not sure if it is duty exempt but if not it would be like 800-€900?

I think the dev kit may have had something low like 2.9%

I'll update one I know but €750 is my absolute limit, I'll wait otherwise. I can justify about the same as I spent on a monitor but can't go beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shiminay wrote: »
    That's insane money for this.
    Meh, I don't know that it is insane money. I always thought the price of $300-400 was incredibly low considering the basically had to invent the technology.

The problem is they did a bait and switch. If they'd said $600-700 all along we would have been preparing ourselves for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ScumLord wrote: »
    Meh, I don't know that it is insane money. I always thought the price of $300-400 was incredibly low considering the basically had to invent the technology.

The problem is they did a bait and switch. If they'd said $600-700 all along we would have been preparing ourselves for that price.

Well thats the point. They specifically said in numerous interviews they'd have it in ballpark 350 dollars as the DK sets. 700 quid is not just out of the ballpark its straight out of the atmosphere.

Not to mention the touch will be about another 150 euro on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

kaz_riftjms71.png

Sounds like Sony will be undercutting them.

Fcuk off Oculus, bring on the Vive!

Don't ever buy a branded PC.

'kin A

Thargor wrote: »
    kaz_riftjms71.png

Okay that I like, lol.

Although one might not want to throw stones in glass houses...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HMZ-T3W-Mounted-Viewer-Model/dp/B00FNJGJN0

Well thats the point. They specifically said in numerous interviews they'd have it in ballpark 350 dollars as the DK sets. 700 quid is not just out of the ballpark its straight out of the atmosphere.

Not to mention the touch will be about another 150 euro on top of this.

Again though the DK's were no where near 350 once you got them in you hands in Ireland.

Annoyingly thats giving me the niggle of do I go back to a DK and wait!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hey to make it sting even more I bought a DK 1 shortly after the kickstarter ...thereby missing out on the free CV1 :(

Dr Bob wrote: »
    hey to make it sting even more I bought a DK 1 shortly after the kickstarter ...thereby missing out on the free CV1 :(

Fook :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If i had the time and ability I'd launch a DK1 to Dk 2-sh upgrade kit, going to be a lot of people out there who cant afford the cv (and the DK2 second hand price went up as soon as the new price point went llve apparently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ScumLord wrote: »
    Meh, I don't know that it is insane money. I always thought the price of -400 was incredibly low considering the basically had to invent the technology.

The problem is they did a bait and switch. If they'd said -700 all along we would have been preparing ourselves for that price.

I'm not trying to dismiss the substantial costs they've endured being the tech leader and developing this from the ground up. But they said a price and we're seeing the final product coming out at one and a half times that. There is still absolutely zero "killer apps" for this technology and the significant possibility that with 2 other rivals coming in the form of the Vive and Morpheus (and that's not even including more budget conscious options like Cardboard or Gear VR), there's no guarantee that this won't be the BetaMax/HD DVD of VR tech.

But those are my economic circumstances colouring my perception - I'm sure there'll be plenty of people for whom pulling the trigger at €700 won't be a problem - I really hope they enjoy it, cause let's face it, it *is* pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Bambi wrote: »
    Whats the gearVR like? I haven't read much feedback on it.

Its great, honestly I am really impressed with it, it competes with the dk2 far more than I think it would. The 1440p screen makes that little bit better but the pincusion is still quite noticable. The apps are quite good, out of the box you have netflix, 360 pictures (including ones from the phone), movies and you can use the samsung webbrowser to view 360 videos on youtube.

Game wise I have tried eve gunjack which is really quite pretty and shows how clever tricks and optimisation can go a long way on a mobile phone, never mind a gtx 970 and i7. Lands end looks a lot more basic but its a great experience. Smash hit is a fantastic freebie as well that i ended up playing for 30 minutes after just putting on the headset first time.

I also sideloaded quake vr, but i dont have a joypad to play it yet, looks great though.

Honestly it is very good and well worth it if you have a s6 or can get a s6 cheap on upgrade or whereever.

Given the oculus is 700 quid (holy s***) I am defintely sticking to gear vr and the dk2 for vr tinkering. How it can be 300 quid more than the devkit confuses me greatly, surely bookface would subsidise the oculus to get out there. My feeling is maybe they have decided to get this version out for the enthusiasts and once the competition shows up start firing out an all in one gearVR type set for the masses. Which makes me question why I should pay 700 quid for the premium experience that probably wont ever get many AAA titles because the market share is too small.

I am so glad i got the dk2 in 2014, I got to play about with new tech, 18 months before the CV that I was supposed to wait for came out. Elite dangerous, hl2, alien isolation and GtaV on vorpx were all thoroughly enjoyed. I would love a CV but I just cant drop that kind of money to justify a few high quality VR experiences and being in early. I feel like there is going to be a vhs vs betamax thing with the vive vs rift, and while thats happening its something with a much bigger market exposure like the ps4 vr or gearVR might sweep in and become the standard anyway in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yeah, I'm just saying I'm surprised, but not surprised. :D

I think they made a mess of this by lowballing the price initially and then never correcting it as time went on.

I'll probably still buy it, eventually. But it's going to take a bit longer because I also need to buy a new graphics card.

I'm not sure I get the VHS betamax comparisons.

Oculus have win10 support I'm sure there will simply be a VR API that everyone will eventually use. X product might be better than Y product but I don't see a standard war personally.

TARIC seems to suggest 14% import. Just can't do that on €742 :(

If anyone knows what chaper etc this comes under please let me know.

Thargor wrote: »

Sony is the Playstation VR. Good luck getting a decent VR experience out of a console the equivalent of a mid-range PC from 2012.

I dunno what Vive is going to do. They've been working overtime in marketing trying to present their product as being the luxury VR experience to Oculus' more primitive hardware. It's largely a fantasy they've constructed given the similar features, and opinions we're hearing on the CV1.

Do they abandon their "high-end" positioning that they've been fighting for and undercut the Rift? Or do they go even higher and expect - what, 900 quid for the Vive?

I'll wager it's going to be the same or higher, I do not expect lower. So to anyone cheering the Vive now that Oculus has priced itself so far outside their wallets - don't get carried away, Vive is not likely to be any kinder to your bank balance.

Oculus have win10 support I'm sure there will simply be a VR API that everyone will eventually use. X product might be better than Y product but I don't see a standard war personally.

Yeah I don't think it's going to be anything like that. The only scenario like that I can imagine is if Valve decided to take the incredibly risky/nasty gamble of releasing some premium AAA games Vive-only. The Vive might actually be the event HL3 has been waiting for - who knows. But I doubt they'd do that.

More likely we'll see games being compatible with both major headsets, and even if someone did manage to make their game exclusive to one - for some self-destructive reason - I think the interface would be hacked by the community very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TARIC seems to suggest 14% import. Just can't do that on €742 :(

If anyone knows what chaper etc this comes under please let me know.

The dk2 was shipped from the UK even when you orders from the states, I presume these are the same, shipped from within the EU so no import duty. Also vat wasn't charged once you input a vat number.

The dk2 was shipped from the UK even when you orders from the states, I presume these are the same, shipped from within the EU so no import duty. Also vat wasn't charged once you input a vat number.

Oh thank God.

Also wouldn't import duty be on the price of the item itself, rather than including shipping?

EDIT: Lads the fucking shipping date has changed to May. They're really starting to piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well that price has pushed me to wait for the Vive, I was expecting the Vive to be triple the price of the oculus now i'm thinking maybe 100 more or on par.
    The Vive is expected in April and The oculus will arrive, well god only knows when.

I just ran the Oculus system check, and I knew my GPU would need an upgrade, but it is claiming my CPU doesn't meet the requirements. It's a slightly older model but was top of the range a couple years ago, and benchmarking puts it well ahead of their recommended one.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2&cmp[]=2234

I am confused. The recommended one is the i5, mine is the i7. It's not overclocked currently but it can be. Same number of cores, mine has higher clockspeed and hyperthreading - not to mention much more expensive! Is this an oversight in their system check app or am I missing something?

Mine: http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
    Theirs: http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I can, the cracks are already starting to appear ever since EA and friends decided they didn't like giving valve a cut on Steam. I got a Steam Controller and a mini PC for Steam streaming. I really like them both, but being me this Christmas I brought the witcher 3 from GOG and Dragon age inquisition which don't work with Valves setup (at least not easily). Oculus and Valve will be doing there best to get games into one store or another. Given the really interesting games will be built for VR only and will initially have a small market share & investment, platform exclusives will a lot more feasible imo.
    Sony is the Playstation VR. Good luck getting a decent VR experience out of a console the equivalent of a mid-range PC from 2012.

Don't be so quick to write it off, I was the same when I hear about GearVR, but having used it I can see that clever coding trumps raw power every time. Sure your not going to squeeze E:D in there, but good things are possible, and for a lot of people the killer apps are Netflix, youtube and 360 videos. I mean the PS3 has 256mb of video Ram but there was a linear and marked improvement in graphics throughout the systems life. If developers know exactly what they are developing for they can do a lot. I think the question in my mind is what is going to sell VR more, having a VR button in Battlefield 5/COD or dedicated experiences built from the ground up ?

The PC has the big advantage for adding VR to a standard game because you don't have to sacrifice graphical quality for the feature, users can just buy a bigger PC. Thing is that, from playing with the DK2, traditional games like FPS's just aren't that nice in VR, compared with games built with VR (and some Sims which are just naturally suited).

IF the PS4 gets some really good dedicated VR games it could be all it needs to get the ball rolling. I could imagine a PS4 + VR headset being the same price as the Oculus is right now, without the 1.1k gaming rig you need to run it at recommended.

Advertisement