Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

Did anyone else get an email after ordering saying their address couldn't be verified? Submitted a support ticket to try get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The pricing of this reminds me of the google Nexus 6. Everyone was expecting them to be cheap around €400 turned out to be €650. Every post I read said they weren't going to buy because of the price but they still sold out everywhere. I'd say this will be the same.

I'm in the wait and see camp on this one. My GPU is slightly below the spec needed so I'd have to be investing a grand to get this off the ground.
    Thargor wrote: »
    http://abload.de/img/kaz_riftjms71.png

Sounds like Sony will be undercutting them.

Fcuk off Oculus, bring on the Vive!

Thats not really the CEO of Sony, just someone taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Did anyone else get an email after ordering saying their address couldn't be verified? Submitted a support ticket to try get it sorted.

I got one saying that my address had been amended. They took off the Eircode they had insisted on me giving them and replaced it with the Dublin area code which they had rejected.

All very amusing.
    Jet Black wrote: »
    My GPU is slightly below the spec needed so I'd have to be investing a grand to get this off the ground.

Recommended card is the GTX970. Where are you getting a grand from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zillah wrote: »
    I just ran the Oculus system check, and I knew my GPU would need an upgrade, but it is claiming my CPU doesn't meet the requirements. It's a slightly older model but was top of the range a couple years ago, and benchmarking puts it well ahead of their recommended one.
    Same here, I've an i7 2600k. Didn't expect that would need an upgrade. I haven't overclocked it yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Recommended card is the GTX970. Where are you getting a grand from?

I mean the rift and GPU together will be around that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The dk2 was shipped from the UK even when you orders from the states, I presume these are the same, shipped from within the EU so no import duty. Also vat wasn't charged once you input a vat number.

I fooking love you!
    Oh thank God.

Also wouldn't import duty be on the price of the item itself, rather than including shipping?

EDIT: Lads the fucking shipping date has changed to May. They're really starting to piss me off.

EH?! Okay but can always canx it if the vive looks better :) Edit: Where did you see that? Still seeing 28/3 here.
    I just ran the Oculus system check, and I knew my GPU would need an upgrade, but it is claiming my CPU doesn't meet the requirements. It's a slightly older model but was top of the range a couple years ago, and benchmarking puts it well ahead of their recommended one.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2&cmp[]=2234

I am confused. The recommended one is the i5, mine is the i7. It's not overclocked currently but it can be. Same number of cores, mine has higher clockspeed and hyperthreading - not to mention much more expensive! Is this an oversight in their system check app or am I missing something?

Mine: http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
    Theirs: http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Pay no heed that i7 will kick ass.

As someone else mine got amended.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Same here, I've an i7 2600k. Didn't expect that would need an upgrade. I haven't overclocked it yet either.

Again defo no upgrade needed, kick ass CPU. If in doubt OC it a bit.

EDIT ABOVE

Ah I see new date on web, probably the second batch! Hoping mine lands March!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2&cmp[]=2234

I am confused. The recommended one is the i5, mine is the i7. It's not overclocked currently but it can be. Same number of cores, mine has higher clockspeed and hyperthreading - not to mention much more expensive! Is this an oversight in their system check app or am I missing something?

Mine: http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
    Theirs: http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
    I think the system check is a bit broken for me aswell:

kBS2t3J.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All good here:

Congratulations! You're ready for Oculus Rift

Your computer appears to meet or exceed the recommended system specification for Rift.

+ Processor
    You have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.

+ Graphics Card
    You have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.

+ Memory
    You have 16 GB of RAM, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.

+ Operating System
    You're running Windows 10 64-bit, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.

+ USB
    You have USB 3.0 ports, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.

I think the system check is a bit broken for me aswell:

kBS2t3J.png

980M could possibly be an issue but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If you run the 3D Mark Firestrike demo on steam and get above 9000 you should be fine. Unfortunately I got a 6000 and have an ivy bridge so upgrading won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It appears my CPU is not good enough :(

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-975-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590

This was best in class when I bought it a few years ago (5/6 maybe) :(

Also my motherboard does not have USB 3.0!

Rest of the PC is fine though, 12GB RAM, 980ti, Win 10

For what it's worth,

The rift is is $850 Canadian Dollars which equates to 558.80 Euro.

Not sure if they need to add tax on, but if you did know someone over there to post to, it might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Also my motherboard does not have USB 3.0!

Can you call that living?

Yeah - I rarely use an external HDD - so i have not seen the need to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'm going to hold out and see if eglobalcentral will stock these once they're on general sale, which means you can avoid vat and duty on it. They refund you it to you if customs catch you too. Been an old reliable site on the photography forum for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To me, €700 is a completely unjustifiable price.
    That's not in the ballpark of €350, that's twice the damn price.

I could have been tempted by €500 during the year, but something about throwing out the extra €200 is dodgy as hell, especially considering we still don't have any final reviews for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

It's 750 and were forgetting about the controllers that aren't ready yet, I presume that's another 150 including shipping. You get priority for them but they really should be free as the people who order later won't need the xbox controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

At this point I'm waiting for the Vive, I'm sure it will be pricey too, but I'm hoping Valve see the backlash from this price and lower it to something more reasonable.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    At this point I'm waiting for the Vive

You, me and Hitler:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Adopting to technology this early at any of those price points would be superfluous. It's like people who spent €1,500 on 3D TVs in 2009. There was no content to actually get your value for money out of back them. Give it 3+ years and it'll be worth it maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Damn it's pricey, I'm still seriously tempted but think I'll have to hold off until later in the year while keeping an eye on the Vive. I also ran the system check and it doesn't like my GPU, although I suspect it'd be fine once I OC'd it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

OSI wrote: »
    the real figure they were concerned about is the $1500 price for a full Oculus ready PC and headset.

Is this accurate either though? Would you really get the right PC for under $1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So 700 euro for us. Ouch. Could have lived with 600 euro maybe. i would probably need a whole new PC for this tbh, and if I were to get a whole new PC, I would probably go with a 4K monitor/tv, as opposed to a rift.

Looks like I will wait for v2 or v3 of this, before putting any cash down. If I already had a PC capable of running the rift, I could see myself buying it, but without one, the entire thing is very, very costly.

This does make the PSVR, look like it might be a better option for me, while it won't touch the rift and a high end PC power wise, it may end up being good enough, and if Sony are clever they will release PC drivers for there headset, so that users who buy it for a PS4, could conceivably use it on a high end PC in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If you run the 3D Mark Firestrike demo on steam and get above 9000 you should be fine. Unfortunately I got a 6000 and have an ivy bridge so upgrading won't be easy.

On sandybridge here (2500k) which has served me well for many many years. Think it's time for an upgrade.

I do get 10k in Firestrike though (non demo version) pre overclock and 12k with a moderate overclock using xfire 7950's. I would love to have a rift just to see if my rig could handle it. Think I will wait for a few more players to enter the game though before dropping this kind of money on upgrades and the vr device itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sonics2k wrote: »
    At this point I'm waiting for the Vive, I'm sure it will be pricey too, but I'm hoping Valve see the backlash from this price and lower it to something more reasonable.

I doubt the backlash from this will sway Valve pricing with Vive by much. They'll definitely make it a bit cheaper, though. I'm just hoping that it's outright cheaper by default. I like the sound of the tech in it for tracking objects near you. I'm more interested in using VR for virtual sandboxes than games. I would prefer a VR/AR combo so this might be something I'll have to wait for. I'm pretty confident I'll be skipping the Rift... was bad enough it's from facebook. That said I may still be swayed once all the headsets are released and we get some real benchmarking, impressions and in-depth reviews coming in.

Like wes said, I'm wondering how PSVR will stand up to all this. I definitely won't be buying a sony console or anything for it but it may end up being a decent, cheaply price headset for PC if sony support it for drivers or we get any kind of VR standards out. Who knows. Back to the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

wes wrote: »
    So 700 euro for us. Ouch. Could have lived with 600 euro maybe. i would probably need a whole new PC for this tbh, and if I were to get a whole new PC, I would probably go with a 4K monitor/tv, as opposed to a rift.

Looks like I will wait for v2 or v3 of this, before putting any cash down. If I already had a PC capable of running the rift, I could see myself buying it, but without one, the entire thing is very, very costly.

This does make the PSVR, look like it might be a better option for me, while it won't touch the rift and a high end PC power wise, it may end up being good enough, and if Sony are clever they will release PC drivers for there headset, so that users who buy it for a PS4, could conceivably use it on a high end PC in future.
    PSVR will be some overpriced Kinect fad crap that nobody will use and you'll see piled up in CEX afterwards, you heard it here first :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

PSVR will be some overpriced Kinect fad crap that nobody will use and you'll see piled up in CEX afterwards, you heard it here first :D

I wouldn't write Sony off, they have released head mounted displays before, and if they play it smart, they could be very competitive early on.

BTW, all VR headsets could end up like Kinect imho, if we only see a few game released for them. Something like PSVR, could go mass market, and that would only help the other headsets, as that will mean more games.

Still, it would pay be cautious, if you don't have a lot of disposable income.

Advertisement