Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

o1s1n wrote: »
    Would need to be wireless.
    I don't think it could be because of the bandwidth and speed needed to get clear images. Give people some sort of ceiling mount that feeds the wires up and back down to the back of the PC.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm staring at the Order Now button on the Rift site, balancing on whether to do it or not:
    882.gif
    I wouldn't get the developer version. It's not going to be a patch on the consumer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm staring at the Order Now button on the Rift site, balancing on whether to do it or not:
    KALABUUUUUUUNGA DUDE! Get a few pizzas instead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

oculus rift is ment to be amazing but get very dizzy very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't get the developer version. It's not going to be a patch on the consumer one.

Ah yea, fully aware of the limitation and difference there'll be between this and the final consumer product. While aimed for next year, it'll be a bastard to get hands on the consumer version on release.

But, dammit, I really want to toy around with the DK in terms of gaming and the different software for it. Very interesting what people are coming up for it in a non-gaming sense.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    KALABUUUUUUUNGA DUDE! Get a few pizzas instead! :D

Mmmmm..........pizza..........

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ScumLord wrote: »

Depends whether you can wait or not. ;)

The entry fee for the developer version is definitely worth the end result for anyone wishing to dip their toes into VR.

If the consumer one were to the same standard as this I'd still have been happy. The only niggle is the screen door effect. But you really don't notice that unless you're looking for it. I know I don't anyway.
    oculus rift is ment to be amazing but get very dizzy very quick

It's up to a few factors. If you have the required spec of vsync enabled and 60FPS in both eyes then you won't get dizzy really. Unless you happen to be someone who normally suffers from motion sickness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Depends whether you can wait or not. ;)

The entry fee for the developer version is definitely worth the end result for anyone wishing to dip their toes into VR.

If the consumer one were to the same standard as this I'd still have been happy. The only niggle is the screen door effect. But you really don't notice that unless you're looking for it. I know I don't anyway.
    I don't need to hear this, I want to hear it's awful and a waste of money. If I end up spending my heating money on an oculus rift I'm blaming you and your peer pressure.

I'm also going to assume the consumer version will be much more expensive. So I'm saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fùck it, been on the fence for months over it so gave in and ordered it!

Now I play the all-over-the-place waiting game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The rest of us are all coming to your gaff for a rift session once it arrives. Ok?
    Great. Fridays are good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I'm sickened i didn't order it just a little bit earlier, a few people that ordered the day before me received their rifts already. I'll be waiting for the next batch now along with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

If you've an Oculus Rift and want to wow the non believers then download "Titans Of Space" stick the rift on those pesky non believers as well as decent headphones and load it up.
    It's a mostly non interactive trip around the solar system (and more). Sounds simple, works great on the rift.

http://crunchywood.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Here's a non 3D vid of Titans Of Space to give you an idea as to what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ok so a big Oculus Rift competitor has just shown up.

I don't think they're trying to compete with OR but it's definitely somewhere in the same market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Would need to be wireless.

Right now we can't do standard HD video wirelessly, or a least not without enough latency to make it useless for gaming. I had heard that the consumer version of the Rift might go for better than 1080p, so right now wireless sounds very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andresapitt

does anybody know is is there any way to get them in ireland? i need one quick for a demo.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

God its so hard to resist ordering this. Keep looking at the page daily, daring myself to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

God its so hard to resist ordering this. Keep looking at the page daily, daring myself to buy.

But I keep thinking; "1080p will be announced tomorrow if I do".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I definitely think you should hold out. The limited amount of decent games, lack of comfort and the atrocious resolution will mean that you will only use it every now and again. When the first commercial version is released then those problems should be mostly dealt with and you'll get more use out of it. I got good use out of mine over several months but I mostly get a kick out of showing it to other people. It's not a comfortable experience for extended use at the moment but don't get me wrong, the sense of immersion is awesome when you are using it but it's probably not worth spending so much money on it right now.

To be fair, the rift that's available at the moment is a dev box and not really meant for consumers. We are lucky its such a well put together little device as when i first seen one it was made of cardboard and tape :0)

I've never regretted getting one and when they do bring out a full HD version of the dev box or the consumer edition I'll be getting that as well.

Edit:
    How it used to look.
    DSC_4776-2_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I read that there was going to be a 1080 dev kit before consumer version is released. If true, Id say ill get the 1080 dev kit. The last year has been a painful waiting game for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

But I keep thinking; "1080p will be announced tomorrow if I do".

hurry up and do it then so i can get the 1080p version since they won't give me one :p

Steve SI wrote: »
    To be fair, the rift that's available at the moment is a dev box and not really meant for consumers. We are lucky its such a well put together little device as when i first seen one it was made of cardboard and tape :0)

I've never regretted getting one and when they do bring out a full HD version of the dev box or the consumer edition I'll be getting that as well.

Edit:
    How it used to look.
    DSC_4776-2_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

ahah that looks way better than the one i used in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

When are they looking for a consumer launch?

2015?

they were supposed to be targetting this year, so i assume maybe q2 next year realistically

Anyone with a rift also have a razer hydra, Half life VR looks cool using both. I'm thinking of investing but they seem expensive

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Anyone with a rift also have a razer hydra, Half life VR looks cool using both. I'm thinking of investing but they seem expensive

I've got two hydra's i've been testing stuff with. So many bloody wires though :(

I've got two hydra's i've been testing stuff with. So many bloody wires though :(

Yeah id say the wires are a pain but the stem tracking system is still a good bit away. How much did you pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

What are the like in use? Is aiming more accurate?

waveform wrote: »
    What are the like in use? Is aiming more accurate?

They are ok to use, some haptic feedback would be awesome and kind of crazy they didn't implement some sort of rumble.
    There are a few rift demo games that use 2 hydra's. One stuck to your chest(body movement) and the other as your gun/input etc.

• Advertisement

They are ok to use, some haptic feedback would be awesome and kind of crazy they didn't implement some sort of rumble.
    There are a few rift demo games that use 2 hydra's. One stuck to your chest(body movement) and the other as your gun/input etc.

Have you tried it with HL2VR mod?? Thats one of the main reasons i wan the hydra but its 105 pounds on amazon...I think the tactical haptics controller with the stem tracking system will be the way to go but we wont see them till next year.

Advertisement