Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The one thing I'v found odd since the official launch and last weeks CES show is that the tech journo's and youtubbers who have used both Oculus and Vive, have not once compared or commented on which they think is better?

Seeing as almost every other piece of PC tech gets compared to its rivals almost before it even gets launched, this lack of VR device feedback just seems out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Venom wrote: »
    The one thing I'v found odd since the official launch and last weeks CES show is that the tech journo's and youtubbers who have used both Oculus and Vive, have not once compared or commented on which they think is better?

Seeing as almost every other piece of PC tech gets compared to its rivals almost before it even gets launched, this lack of VR device feedback just seems out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Game journos... what do you expect? We'll have to wait for it to be in the hands of less-sponsored individuals, average consumers or independent, niche benchmarkers to say anything that we can trust. I'm hoping Tek Syndicate do an in-depth analysis but I assume they're going to skip Playstation VR... if they even wait long enough for that to come out before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think they were expecting the rift being the affordable option for the masses with the vive being the premium product for extra. Oculus have decided they want to be premium so I don't expect it to be that much more. Have to remember the vive also comes with the controllers so that will be another 100-150 on top of the rift price. I would expect it to be 1000 euro max, maybe closer to 900 to take the sting out of a 4 digit price.
    Oculus say they've made a quality product but that they're not making much, if any money on the units, they're basically selling at cost.

Given that fact and unless Vive want to do the same thing (which they probably won't, as they don't have the security of Facebook money propping them up) it's going to be an expensive piece of kit, it requires more tech to achieve its motion tracking, and has extra features like the camera which are going to make it more expensive straight away. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's under €1000, I wouldn't be shocked if it's somewhere in the region of €1500 or more.
    I've seen a number of comparisons, not great ones because they're trying these things out under very restricted circumstances. Anyone I've seen giving a comparison says it's not really fair to compare these two products (which aren't even both consumer versions yet) but the general consensus seems to be rift has the better image, vive has the wider FOV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I haven't really been following the development of the OR (or Vive et al). The technology is hugely exciting, don't get me wrong. But as a stingy mature student, I know I won't be an early adopter!

Anyway, one area I'm hoping the rise of VR will have a huge effect on is gaming audio. The sound in PC games (and I assume console games as well), is fecking atrocious! Absolute garbage! It's completely stagnated for years thanks to Creative initially, and then Microsoft.

Anyone who has been following development of VR closely, is 3D sound something that is being addressed? Apologies if already discussed in the thread.

• Advertisement

Dair76 wrote: »
    Anyone who has been following development of VR closely, is 3D sound something that is being addressed? Apologies if already discussed in the thread.
    Yes, the rift comes with headphones and supposedly it can give the impression of sound coming from specific directions using just the two speakers.

I honestly thought Valve would be more interested selling at-cost in order to be at the forefront of digital distribution. Haven't Oculus shareholders already stated that they're trying to breach the digital market with their own accounts and storefront? Can't see that being an easy swallow given this is facebook we're dealing with... they'll monetize user data and I really can't imagine their storefront and distribution not being tied to a facebook account or some kind of fork of one that you can connect.

Meanwhile Valve will probably sell you virtual hats to sit on top of your virtual head and make a huge marketing push for VR games. That's the console approach. The Steam client might even have a VR mode like it has a Big Picture mode.

But that's all speculation. It might be more expensive. Hope not, though.
    Anyway, one area I'm hoping the rise of VR will have a huge effect on is gaming audio. The sound in PC games (and I assume console games as well), is fecking atrocious! Absolute garbage! It's completely stagnated for years thanks to Creative initially, and then Microsoft.

Couldn't agree more. Ever since A3D vanished (I think it got copyright trolled) we've had nothing but a bunch of 'meh' from games. I remember when you could really hear where enemies were. Now everything just sounds like a meek sway from left to right in stereo. If VR can help with this then it'll be a welcome side-benefit to video games overall even if you decide to skip getting a headset.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This makes the rift sound good to me, with the sensors to walk round the whole room instead of a small area, and the front camera.. I'd live to see the viewing experience valve add to games like Dota, oh man. Oculus may have better image on the other hand.

I'm not getting this walk around the room thing personally. Has Wii written all over it as in good for the first few goes then I want to just sit down and play.

Also as pointed out in the video, what's being done about the cable? Cue VR Fails from Fail Army :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm not getting this walk around the room thing personally. Has Wii written all over it as in good for the first few goes then I want to just sit down and play.

Also as pointed out in the video, what's being done about the cable? Cue VR Fails from Fail Army :)
    Exactly, plus nobody has the room for this kind of crap, headphone cables and phone chargers cause chaos in our living room nevermind someone wearing a headset with 3-4 USB connections and HDMI. Im sure there will be a new generation of Qusars/Laserquests in bowling alleys spawned when VR takes off properly though.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd be walking around the room my desktop is in since it doesn't have tons of space but I wouldn't mind to at least be able to move a few feet from my desk and have a go at some VR experiences made for different positions. I'm sure there's lying-down VR experiences that could be cool. Just floating on water or a raft looking up at a fantastical sky? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Would something like the virtuix omni not be better than being able to see objects in your room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You don't have to stand up or walk around for VR and besides, the cable doesnt get in the way when walking around and using the Vive. More worrying would be pets or children walking into the room but the HTC Vive's latest chaperone system uses a camera to bring people and objects into your view when needed. Oculus doesn't have room scale yet so that's not required for them right now.
    Anyway, I'll stop trying to convince you all, it's not easy until you've tried it yourself.
    I haven't really been following the development of the OR (or Vive et al). The technology is hugely exciting, don't get me wrong. But as a stingy mature student, I know I won't be an early adopter!

As for audio, Oculus agree with you, they have a separate audio SDK to make positional audio easier to integrate and the rift even has built in headphones to keep audio perception consistent between users (you can slide them out of the way if you want to use your own)

Google bought an Irish positional audio company (ex Trinity researchers I think?) for their magic leap research but Chet Faliszek from Valve said at some conference that existing audio solutions from current game engines are good enough for VR. I find that hard to believe myself but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You don't have to stand up or walk around for VR and besides, the cable doesnt get in the way when walking around and using the Vive. More worrying would be pets or children walking into the room but the HTC Vive's latest chaperone system uses a camera to bring people and objects into your view when needed. Oculus doesn't have room scale yet so that's not required for them right now.

Personally I don't see the point in having a square a few feet wide for VR. Either give me a full quasar-type experience (as some people are doing, I think in the US) or design your game to be played from a chair (Valkyrie being a good example). Anything that takes advantage of a small box screams gimmick to me.

That said, with a second tracking camera (which will apparently come with the touch controllers) Oculus is perfectly capable of doing 360 movement within a small defined space, just like Vive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrJu-zOzm4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My guess is it's going to €999.

After my initial outrage at the Rift price, it actually makes sense given the tech that is involved. The Vive is even higher specced, so there's no chance of it being cheaper. Not to mention it comes with two dedicated controllers. It'll be a few years before we see either come down to a price that i'm willing to afford though.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the point in having a square a few feet wide for VR. Either give me a full quasar-type experience (as some people are doing, I think in the US) or design your game to be played from a chair (Valkyrie being a good example). Anything that takes advantage of a small box screams gimmick to me.
    I agree. I've no interest in a small square space to walk around in at home. I'll be quite happy with head tracking and a fully immersive environment.

Kiith wrote: »
    I agree. I've no interest in a small square space to walk around in at home. I'll be quite happy with head tracking and a fully immersive environment.

Cloudhead games are using a teleport technique in their puzzle adventure game where you close your eyes and press a button to teleport to where you were pointing. Also, there is a technique called redirected walking where the environment changes around you subtley to give you the impression that you are navigating a much larger space .. I'm not convinced that it will work but remember that the vive can be used seated as well.

I can't see the Vive costing $1500 versus the Rift at $600. The Vive designs so far do not have the premium look that the Oculus rift does (plastic versus the Rift's cloth/plastic hybrid with headphones built in) but the final version may look a lot better. On the other hand, the Oculus price does not yet include the hand controllers either so in total the Oculus could end up costing nearly $750. I think the Vive will be around that price too...unfortunately :(

First rumblings the Vive could cost $1500.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/ast/201601120023.aspx

ScumLord wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its kind of funny, I think GearVR is going to be the first experience for many people, despite all the attention the rift and vive have gotten. If Samsung get a few good experiences onto the GearVR and release an affordable dedicated and standalone model it could do quite well.

• Advertisement

Ha....haha....HAHAHAHAHA

(all the people who were smugly declaring their allegiance to the Vive when the price of the Rift was revealed)

Thanks for posting but they also estimated a crazy price for the Sony Morpheus headset in that article which had already been denied by Sony: http://vrfocus.com/archives/27718/sony-denies-800-price-tag-for-playstation-vr/

Thanks for posting but they also estimated a crazy price for the Sony Morpheus headset in that article which had already been denied by Sony: http://vrfocus.com/archives/27718/sony-denies-800-price-tag-for-playstation-vr/
    All they really said is that Amazon made a mistake. They don't say that the price is wrong, too high, or too low, according to that article anyway.

I haven't really heard a whole lot about the Sony headset, it just seems to be there in the background, keeping it's head down. We don't know if they're trying to match the rift and the vive, or just make something that does basic entry level VR. We also don't really know what compatibility issues it will have, will it run any game on the Playstation or just VR games?

I couldn't say if the sony headset is going to be cheaper because of it's limitations, or more expensive because of the limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

https://youtu.be/Otz5rAUOaqk

These guys seem to give the nod to the vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Zillah wrote: »
    Ha....haha....HAHAHAHAHA

(all the people who were smugly declaring their allegiance to the Vive when the price of the Rift was revealed)
    The Vive will be more expensive than the rift regardless of these "leaks". It would be insane to think otherwise. The rift doesn't even include controllers except for the xbone controller which probably cost Oculus 15-20 euro. Lighthouse is more complex than a simple wide FOV IR camera and the rift is supposed to be sold at cost vs HTC having to make a profit, it'll be 200-300 euro more expensive

Nedved85 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Otz5rAUOaqk

These guys seem to give the nod to the vive.

Yeah a little bit, but they don't really seem to be able to say much about why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hang on I may have found what you're looking for:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/tested-oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive-pre/
    Right now, the best VR experience is a combination of Oculus VR and Vive VR. Both have their own strengths.

On second thoughts...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was always going to pick the Oculus, but that price tag for the Vive, which was to be expected all things considered, has concreted my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah and I'll hang on for the version with the proper controllers

• Advertisement

I was always going to pick the Oculus, but that price tag for the Vive, which was to be expected all things considered, has concreted my decision.
    What price tag? lol

Advertisement