Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Apparently there will be another Dev version before the final Consumer release.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Some competition on the horizon.

castAR is augmented reality with two outward facing projectors beaming a 3d stereoscopic image onto a blank surface and it has head tracking. The benefit is you'll still be able to see your hands and the rest of the real world. Would be a good system for cockpit games as you'll be able to see the real world devices that you use IE: steering wheel.

It's in the very early stages and I'm guessing they're going to need some pretty wizzbang projectors that can refocus due to head movement. But it certainly looks like the next stage after oculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

yeah was impressed with the video they have up on their kickstarter, it's definitely worth a watch. The also want to do a VR version which will use the mini projectors to project onto material on the inside of the lenses so it would be similar to the oculus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Good lord why does this look so fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ah feck it! Ordered.
    Even if they announce the 1080p version tomorrow, Ill feckin buy that too!!

I understand that they build/ship in bulk every month, the website is saying a ship in November.
    Those who got it, How long were you waiting for it to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Krieg wrote: »
    Ah feck it! Ordered.
    Even if they announce the 1080p version tomorrow, Ill feckin buy that too!!

I understand that they build/ship in bulk every month, the website is saying a ship in November.
    Those who got it, How long were you waiting for it to arrive?

I havent got mine yet, but i ordered it about 4 weeks ago, order no. 800xx. Judging by the forums i reckon ill have it in two weeks or so (fingers crossed). One of the mods on the official forums last last week that they were ramping up production, hopefully this will cut your wait time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans

[Nov 02, 2013, 11:10 am ET]
    There will be just one model of the Oculus Rift when the VR headset is released to consumers next year, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe explains to Engadget, clarifying that there will not be separate versions of the Rift for PCs and Android. They also clarify that Android support will be "slim" to begin with, and John Carmack describes it as a "PC-based product with Android compatibility," and the implication seems to be that Android support will also require a computer: "That's why we're optimizing for Android, but the Oculus Rift will have a cable that goes down to another device which provides the CPU/GPU computing -- whether that's a laptop, a desktop, or potentially a mobile device, that's always been our focus for V1, that continues to be our focus for V1." They also touch on a future vision of a standalone unit, but stress that their main focus is to get their V1 units into consumers' hands at some point next year. Thanks nin via Shacknews
    http://www.bluesnews.com/s/146422/oculus-rift-2014-release-plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just checked UPS, me Rift is in the UK and is scheduled to be delivered to me on Monday.................hopefully.
    tumblr_l7mhgqxcip1qc073co1_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Just checked UPS, me Rift is in the UK and is scheduled to be delivered to me on Monday.................hopefully.
    tumblr_l7mhgqxcip1qc073co1_r1_400.gif

Good stuff. When ya inviting me over?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Just checked UPS, me Rift is in the UK and is scheduled to be delivered to me on Monday.................hopefully....

Im the same, happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

That truck driving sim looks like mighty fun :) If you had a Rift and a kinect, would the kinect be able to accuratly place hands and arms on that steering wheel do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you think the Leap Motion would be any good with it?

Skerries wrote: »
    do you think the Leap Motion would be any good with it?

From what i've been reading, the range of the leap motion is too small and not really useful with the rift, I haven't tried it myself tho so cant be 100%.

Just got it! :D

Now to try and get by 2 more hours at work before I waste my evening with it.
    Headshot wrote: »
    Good stuff. When ya inviting me over?

Bring some coke, gonna be a long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n was kind enough to give me a lend of his Oculus, I must say, first impressions are all good. The first thing that hits you is the low res screens, but then you have to remind yourself that it's a dev unit, & not a retail system...yet. Once you get past that, the fun begins.

I've actually had to stop now after an hour or so as I'm starting to feel a bit queasy, I blame that damn rollercoaster demo...it's insane, it wholly succeeds at tricking your senses into thinking you're belting along. Alone in the Rift is intense, & downright freaky it works that well! Half Life 2 not so much, the resolution is just too low to play the game imo, but its day will come of that I've no doubt.

It's a seriously impressive piece of kit, & colour me very likely to buy the retail version when it comes out. Once the screens can do HD resolutions, it'll be utterly amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Is the stereoscopic effect convincing, or is it kinda warped?

Is the stereoscopic effect convincing, or is it kinda warped?

I found it pretty damn convincing, depending on how good the dev was that implemented it obviously. There's a part in Alone in the Rift where there's a ceiling duct hanging down, & you can move all around it as you'd expect being a 1st person thingy, but it feels like 'it's right there, I can almost reach out & touch it' kinda thing. Thats an individual object, when it's a scene like the roller coaster etc, it's just as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Any idea when the retail version will be out? I tried the dev version briefly 6 months ago and was blown away but have decided to wait. I'm getting very impatient here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hey Myrddin, Make sure to check out "Titans Of Space" on the rift. Also, you should select full HD res in that particular demo.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Hey Myrddin, Make sure to check out "Titans Of Space" on the rift. Also, you should select full HD res in that particular demo.

Yeah took that tour yesterday actually, pretty damn awesome. Didn't know you could up the settings in it though, will take a look cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The low res screens are very obvious for something like HL2 alright. In fact, perhaps that's one of the reasons it made me feel so nauseous!

Not so bad with older stuff and the demos though. Quake is definitely worth trying out.

Give Blue Marble a go too for a good space buzz :)

When we have full HD and above its going to be a massive improvement. But it's still cool to be in on the whole thing from the start I think.

Spent a long time with it last night, extremely impressed with it and was blown away by what I saw. Youtube videos really don't justify what this thing can do.

It badly, badly needs the HD screen but that doesn't make games or demos unplayable by a long shot (with the exception of Half Life looking very pixely on models far away). The screen door effect isn't as bad as I had expected it to be and you quickly forget about it, running demos / games at high resolutions like 1080 help.

Unfortunately, I've a dead pixel smack bang in the middle of my screen but I actually don't notice it that much so I'm not planning to act on it yet. I nearly flipped when I plugged the Rift in for the first time and it gave me the error "No USB device attached" which on forums meant it's a hardware problem. Fortunately, I found out it was the IR software for my remote that was causing it so I disabled it and I was good to go.

Depending on the lens cups you use, which is A for me, and the IPD range (distance the lens are from your eyes) what you see takes up almost all of your vision with the exception of slight visibility of the borders which you quickly forget about and don't intrude at all.

Tuscany was the first demo I tried and just moving my head around blew me away. As soon as I moved, though, the nausea hit me which took a small time for my brain to understand what was happening and gain my "VR legs". Once I got used to moving I was awestruck by everything, right down to the candles on the wall poking out at me when I went close to them.

It takes a small bit of fiddling to get it to sit just right for your head but it is light, doesn't hurt to wear and I found it pretty comfortable. Eye strain can happen initially but frequent breaks helped as me brain and eyes adjusted making it much easier to use the Rift as the night went on.

Have tried a lot of demos ranging from "meh" to ones that really sell the capabilities of this, more so impressive ones as there's so many unique and odd demos out there. Wearing headphones is definitely a plus as it helps increase the effect.

I've no sound at work so these videos may contain annoying voice-overs, I don't know :pac:

An odd one demo is Dumpy: Going Elephants where you're an escaped elephant in a bizarre, colourful world on rails just smashing things with your trunk by moving your head.........strangely satisfying :pac:

Dreadhalls is quite unnerving in parts. I started off thinking the dark halls weren't so scary until I met the first monster (the demon dog) that came right up to my face, scared the fùck out of me not because of what it was but how it really felt like I could feel it's breath. That was my first true stereoscopic moment.

Alone in the Rift started out fairly normal, dark and moody but gets unsettling quickly.

RiftCoaster (the main one you see on Youtube) is a blast. Cobra Rollercoaster is another cool one that's weird to experience if you stand up and hold your arms up either side of you as that's what you're in-game character is doing.

Don't Let Go is another short but novel demo that'll be great for scaring the shìt out of people. You must hold the 2 Ctrl buttons and not let go while the game tries to scare you. Nothing too freaky, a velociraptor appears which looks silly but when the spider appears it should get people quite nicely, especially at the end.

Sightline is one of the most impressive demos I've seen yet, based on quantum physics on which involve you having to move your head to solve various puzzles. It has some great moments perfect for the Oculus with lots of simple but effective particle effects and is a decent length, too. The silly English voice is the only thing that let's it down but I highly recommend it.

Museum of the Microstar is probably one of the better looking demos and really feels like you're in some kind of high-tech, sterile museum that showcases heavy particle effects. Runs a little choppy on my machine as it's resource-heavy but it's quite a cool demo and looks great.

Delta Draconis is one of my favourites despite not a lot happening in it. You just fly around on an alien planet but it looks great, the cockpit is flawless with perfect dimensions that really sell that you're inside it flying about.

Blue Marble is another must, I tried it with Gary Jules - Mad World as it matches the length of the demo perfectly. I would try other songs but for some reason the textures won't load once you go out into space, instead you're just in a big black void. Titans of Space also goes without saying as the scope of the size of the planets is excellent.

Ocean Rift is a cool underwater one with the odd shark attack to frighten the shìt out of you :D

Half Life 2 I found to be quite impressive but really begs to be seen with the HD Rift.

Loads more I tried but there the ones that came off the top of my head.

Definitely onboard for VR, any scepticism I had were swept away as soon as I put it on and saw how it reacted when I moved my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You sure youve a dead pixel?

I thought I had one, popped the lens caps off and cleaned the LCD directly - gone thankfully!

o1s1n wrote: »
    You sure youve a dead pixel?

I thought I had one, popped the lens caps off and cleaned the LCD directly - gone thankfully!

The more I was thinking of it earlier the more I think that's what it could be, it is more redish-blueish than it is just a white pixel. Will give it a clean and that'll probably solve that, was only a minor inconvenience anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Epic post duggy, great overview of all the demos.

The Gadget Show - the guys that brought us the Battlefield 3 Simulator tried out the Occulus Rift and Virtuix Omni recently:

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/series-18-episode-5-virtual-reality-gaming

Rachel looks like she's about the keel over in the thing!

That posture can't be good for her back.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3392

Use this app to mark off the areas in question on the left and right side and then remove the lenses and have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

I can't wait to get one. I think it's absolutely incredible. What I'd love to see is the film industry exploiting it. Movies on this would be phenomenal. Surely that's the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

anonimity wrote: »
    I can't wait to get one. I think it's absolutely incredible. What I'd love to see is the film industry exploiting it. Movies on this would be phenomenal. Surely that's the future?

Have you seen Sony's current attempt at this?

http://www.sony.ie/hub/personal-3d-viewer

• Advertisement

Ugh, such an unproductive two hours fluting around with the pc there. Literally everything except Blue Marble caused my display driver to crash & recover. I'm having the same issue with Scibblenauts Unlimited too {nothing to do with the rift}...can't figure it out. Display drivers updates to latest, directx runtime web installer won't run as it has detected a higher version already installed, directx diag seems fine...grrr, I just wanna play the damned rift! :mad:

Advertisement