Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

32% more FOV on the Vive : ) ohh and its 3 times brighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

WOOOOOT FO4 Survival mode is here! that'll keep me occupied until my Rift play through.

Yeah, can't wait for mine either. It was a nice little bonus when they said they would start arriving on the 5th, everyone thought they were only going to start shipping on the 5th

Did you get an order processing email the other day? Seen on Reddit that HTC said anyone who got that email is in Wave 1, they've started charging credit cards, nothing gone from mine yet though, could be some time today.
    Seems like they had an allocation per country so I'd say most Irish orders are in wave 1, the money is being charged by Digital River in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »
    Not liking what Im hearing on Reddit about the CV1 FOV issues:

91dYPfI.jpg

This has apparently been largely debunked. The CV1 has a subjectively larger FOV than the DK2 due to the optics and the proximity of your eye to the lens. These photos are not representative of the actual experience of looking through it with your eyes.

People are just foaming at the mouth because of the anticipation and are going nuts over everything and anything.

Link.
    I've never been able to firmly commit to which one has the highest FoV, or even which one has the lowest. Yes, it's that close. Theoretical vs. Actual FoV can be drastically different. Vision is complicated.
    Although Oculus said that the Rift DK2 also had a 100 degree field of view, the consumer Rift’s field of view certainly feels larger. FoV measurements can be tricky to nail down because it can vary greatly depending upon how close you can get the lenses to your eyes (which is informed by your facial structure). Even without a lens-to-eye distance adjustment (like the DK2 had), for me, the field of view still feels largest on the consumer Rift

And even if the CV1 had the lowest FOV - field of view isn't everything. As a rule, wider FOV increases the screen door effect, so there's a balance to be had there. There are people cancelling their Rift orders and ordering Vive instead, even though the Vive is widely reported to have a significantly worse SDE.

Some people need to step away from their keyboards until their order arrives, because they seem to be just going nuts with frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did you get an order processing email the other day? Seen on Reddit that HTC said anyone who got that email is in Wave 1, they've started charging credit cards, nothing gone from mine yet though, could be some time today.
    Seems like they had an allocation per country so I'd say most Irish orders are in wave 1, the money is being charged by Digital River in Shannon.

You can check what wave you're in at the link here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4bcsly/europe_how_to_know_your_shippment_wave/

My debit card was charged as soon as I ordered it. looks like Ireland is in the first wave. Tighten your belts cosmonauts, we're going in.

• Advertisement

Done, you must have paid via PayPal if debited straight away?

Done, you must have paid via PayPal if debited straight away?

Yup.

That was a quick reply by them, looks like I'm April but part 2..

"Product Name: VIVE Kit - April Shipment - Ireland - Part 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Looks like EU shipments are starting, this is the first reported
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4clu68/preorder_cc_charged_26er_us_east_coast/d1jtjs1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Looks like EU shipments are starting, this is the first reported
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4clu68/preorder_cc_charged_26er_us_east_coast/d1jtjs1

awesome man, I hope you get it before the weekend

• Advertisement

awesome man, I hope you get it before the weekend
    Hopefully, fingers crossed, last hurdle lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Hopefully, fingers crossed, last hurdle lol
    Damn, all of these guys are KS backers:
    https://www.reddit.com/live/wo8xml6rhfw6

I've been refreshing the vive subreddit all day since Australia, NZ and Canadian orders have started to charge credit cards so I know what it's like to be so close :)

Damn, all of these guys are KS backers:
    https://www.reddit.com/live/wo8xml6rhfw6

I've been refreshing the vive subreddit all day since Australia, NZ and Canadian orders have started to charge credit cards so I know what it's like to be so close :)
    Haha it's a pain in the hole, I know your pain. I'm a KS backer so I'm good, but I'll be in the last KS ones if they do them sequentially

*EDIT* - EU preorder reported getting an email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Haha it's a pain in the hole, I know your pain. I'm a KS backer so I'm good, but I'll be in the last KS ones if they do them sequentially

*EDIT* - EU preorder reported getting an email

I'm non KS '28' preorder. The fecking support is useless. I was told March, it's the last day in March and no sign of order prep. Very badly organised.

I'm non KS '28' preorder. The fecking support is useless. I was told March, it's the last day in March and no sign of order prep. Very badly organised.
    Its awful, you would have thought they would have learnt from DK1 and DK2 shipping. I think this was just a soft launch to beat Vive to the "available" punch. Nonsense really.

The batch number for preorders is irrelevant, you need to find the time you ordered, theyre going through them sequentially for preorders, you can find out how to get the minute you bought here - https://np.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

You should have been around for KS DK1 shipping, mulltiple 3 month delays and when they finally did ship the shipments were from China in monthly batches so it took me about 3 months to get my DK1 from when shipping started lol.

No email for me yet, theyre not doing KS sequentially so ive resigned myself to the fact that it'll be next week before i get mine, meh, even if i get a shipping email tonight @2am, theres no way it would be delivered tomorrow before 5PM unless its confirmed theyre ship[ping from Dublin( no EU order has got tracking yet so still not 100% confirmed these are shipping from Ireland ).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

VorpX updated for CV1 apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I can pay rent for a month or get an oculus rift, decisions decisions...

The more I hear the more I want one. Have someone heading to the US in September so might be able to get one that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I can pay rent for a month or get an oculus rift, decisions decisions...

The more I hear the more I want one. Have someone heading to the US in September so might be able to get one that way.

You'll probably need a place to plug it in Randy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

sigh, looks like EU orders are being shipped from Holland, OCULUS, VENRAY, NL
    Shipping with UPS standard so expect 4-5 working days after receiving the shipping email before delivery.

• Advertisement

Dunnes Stores are now selling VR headsets for phones for €30:

http://lovintrends.com/tech/you-can-now-get-virtual-reality-headsets-in-dunnes-for-just-30

They look identical to the older generation of VR BOX headsets you can order from China:

I was going to use the obligatory simpsons quote, but looks like the person that wrote the article did already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It'll be the Christmas wishlist for many a youngster soon enough...

Heard the dk2 has a new breath of life, working with 1.3 runtime and being able to play lucky's tale for free.

Might break her out!

Taylor365 wrote: »

Followed by tears on Christmas day when they realize the kids phone isn't compatible because it doesn't have a gyroscope in it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Doge wrote: »
    Followed by tears on Christmas day when they realize the kids phone isn't compatible because it doesn't have a gyroscope in it! :P
    I'm saying the rift/PS4VR.

Those vr boxes are 15 quid a piece. Kids will have 8 each! :pac:

I'm saying the rift/PS4VR.

Those vr boxes are 15 quid a piece. Kids will have 8 each! :pac:

Christ, I was never privileged enough to get a €400 minimum Christmas present or birthday present, or both combined! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why dont those plastic Chinese viewers we ordered in the other thread ever come with a magnetic input on the side? Its kind of key to using Cardboard, at least the one that was on sale yesterday has a bluetooth controller.

Heard the dk2 has a new breath of life, working with 1.3 runtime and being able to play lucky's tale for free.

Might break her out!
    You should, AST is very impressive and the overall experience is now very polished. Apparently Oculus Store stuff is encrypted so no mods/ini changes and a good case to avoid it if a game is available elsewhere

YApparently Oculus Store stuff is encrypted so no mods/ini changes and a good case to avoid it if a game is available elsewhere

Bloody hell

Bambi wrote: »
    Bloody hell
    I havnt confirmed this personally, was just reading on neogaf and config ini's for Elite werent available.

Ive just checked the game files from the Oculus store and they seem fine, i.e. they all seem visible, but i dont know if theyre modifiable, take it with a grain of salt, soz for the panic.

• Advertisement

Apparently some are shipping from Ireland, yay

Advertisement