Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

4:32 for my order - feckers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

4:32 for my order - feckers :(
    As in 32 mins after the orders went live? dont worry my KS is 26 minutes after the sruvey went live.

Anyways no EU order updates tonight, next EU order update is on a random night, expect delivery in July, whats that? ........i hear Vive calling.

Honestly, i give up, best for my mental health to not track random crap. Will wait for the email in December haha, this is beyond a ****ing joke lol. I think its now actually worse than the KS/DK1 or DK2. Facebook havnt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Doge wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this. The guys crooked glasses are driving me mad, can't not look at them lol

Tested review is up - https://youtu.be/ZC2VIE0hkko

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Tested review is up - https://youtu.be/ZC2VIE0hkko

In summary, it's the best VR headset for about the next week as it's the only one but the one next week has Touch and Roomscale so we'll hold off on a comparison review until it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Was watching the This Is Only a Test Podcast last night, and they spent the first half hour talking about how people sh1t in China! :pac:

I'm actually serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

vid
    HOW HARD IS IT TO SEND A ****ING BOX...
    LMAO.

In summary, it's the best VR headset for about the next week as it's the only one but the one next week has Touch and Roomscale so we'll hold off on a comparison review until it's released.
    Yeah i think the Vive will get the more positive reviews, its both a complete VR package, doesnt have another locked in store( as its using the locked in Steam store but everyone uses that on PC so..... ), and of ourse theyre not ****ting all over their customer base because their order/shipment schedule looks fairly solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Not liking what Im hearing on Reddit about the CV1 FOV issues:

91dYPfI.jpg

This turned out to be totally irrelevant btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Further testing suggests that the CV1 does indeed have the smallest FOV, but only by a small amount. However, people who have used both say that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference during normal use. It would also partially explain why the CV1 has better (less) screen door effect: stretching the pixels out into a wider field of view exaggerates the gap between them.

I'm more pissed off about Facebook's absurdly unnecessary intrusive permissions required in the user agreement, and the botch job that appears to be the Oculus shipping. Vive shipping info seems to be overtaking Rift despite launching three months later.

Is the rift even ready for launch, the controllers aren't available yet you'll have to buy them later, really seems like a bit of a mess of a launch and the product is out of date before it arrives to make things worse.
    If your rift hasn't arrived I'd be jumping ship at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Have my CV1 (Was not delivered to Ireland).

After having both the DK1 and DK2 I can say that the FOV is smaller and by a noticeable amount. However, the more jarring issue is the artifacts when there is white over black, you get a sort of flaring effect that is unbelievably noticeable. It ruins all immersion when it happens.

It only seems to happen when it is pure white on a pure black background though which doesn't happen that often but when it does you will notice it. Seems to be a lense issue too which means that there is no way a software update will fix it.

So far I am disappointed but will reserve full judgement until I get my hands on the vive.

(Also, only one type of foam is included despite them saying that there will be plenty included for all face types, I don't wear glasses but can only assume this will be an issue for those that do)

the product is out of date before it arrives

I don't think that is accurate at all. There are some drawbacks - to any of the current offerings - but the Rift is at the bleeding edge of VR tech.

This guy says good things:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cy9n5/my_impression_after_a_12_hour_vr_binge_with_the/

Good lot of people jumping ship over on Reddit as well..

That review is pretty poor and the opening line of his Final thoughts: "The rift is awesome and everything I hoped it would be. The only things we need now are Touch controllers and more games"
    Touch and room scale are massive leaps in VR and the oculus has neither without them your more or less paralysed in VR. That's why I said its out of date, the vive has what the cv2 will probably have.
    There both a lot of money and when you add in the cost of the controllers and what ever else they need to bolt onto the oculus to get it up to the same experience as the Vive you'll have spent the same.
    I had a dk2 for over a year and the vive to me is what the cv1 should have been.

I really see room tracking as a gimmick, and I think a lot of other people do to. The Wii tried to get people off the couch and to be fair did very well up to a point. People then realised it was a gimmick and sat back down. There's very little point at this stage trying to pick a winner in X,Y,Z.

It'll need 6 months to a year before there is any real definitive answer and I suspect that answer will be; yeah they're both grand and stuff is being dual developed. There will be some exclusives to each platform and obviously the room tracking thing will stay on Vive, however I think it will be a very small percentage of games, it's much more a 'serious' application feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm more pissed off about Facebook's absurdly unnecessary intrusive permissions required in the user agreement,.

Hardly the biggest surprise in the world though. It's Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I really see room tracking as a gimmick, and I think a lot of other people do to.

Yeah you're probably right, a lot of people see it as a gimmick....until they've tried it :)

VR sitting down is great for flight and car Sims but feels really restrictive for other games (think head in a jar).

Nice to have the option of touching and stretching the legs, you can always sit down for sims with the vive if you want, dk2 felt good but also that there was something missing (touch & Roomscale) keeping you grounded namely the Xbox controller.
    Vive app is available for download on iOS and android to allow you take calls on your phone while playing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I believe Roomscale and Hand control will be important parts of VR but they will be a niche within a niche. I know I'll enjoy that type of content but I don't think its the be all or end all, nor do I think there'll be much content utilising hand control or full roomscale this year outside of Tech Demo's and thus I am happy to wait for Touch. Hence I didn't jump ship to Vive. Its the very fact that it is an important eventual component of VR that means I'm not worried about a splitting of the Userbase from Oculus shipping without Touch. I guarantee all but the most stubborn Sim Racers or Flight/Space Sim'ers who only bought VR for those games will in fact also order the Touch when it comes out. I believe now that the 'sticker shock' from the price of the Rift and the Vive has subsided and once economies of scale kick in in manufacturing, we'll see Touch included with the Rift in early 2017. ie. I believe 90% of people who buy a Rift this year will also buy the Touch when it comes out and I believe the Touch will be bundled with the Rift from next year onwards. By next year I think Oculus will be able to say to developers that 900,000 out of a million Rifts own a Touch and going forward that 100,000 Touchless number will remain static once Oculus start bundling Touch. 2018 and it'll be 1.9 million out of 2 million Rifts have Touch if you get me.

Todays news is that Oculus have apologised for the shipping delays and are covering the cost of shipping for every order placed up till today. For us in Ireland thats a saving of €43. The Aussies who were hammered with about AU$140 for shipping are jumping for joy at the announcement. Not only do they save that $140 but they save even more because the saving on shipping pulls their total price below the Australian AU$1000 customs fee threshold so they are saving even more.

In other news. HTC Vive orders are being cancelled by HTC left right and centre at the moment losing people their place in the pre-order queue. The banks fraud detection systems are rejecting the charges and while this shouldn't be a problem because people can just ring up card services to authorise the charge, HTC automated systems are cancelling peoples orders before they even get a chance to make that call to card services.

Its looking like a difficult birth for VR on all sides.

Yeah you're probably right, a lot of people see it as a gimmick....until they've tried it :)

VR sitting down is great for flight and car Sims but feels really restrictive for other games (think head in a jar).

I just don't see it. I was working in the games industry when webcam games were a thing and again when Wii launched. They have there appeal and I can think of some excellent applications for it outside gaming, but coming home after work and dancing around or climbing Everest, can't see it with the current cable restrictions.

In professional setups for certain apps it'll mature and will definitely be used I think it's going to be very niche in gaming. That said I'm buying rift for maybe 5 games, so perhaps a very small niche is all it needs.

I just don't see it. I was working in the games industry when webcam games were a thing and again when Wii launched. They have there appeal and I can think of some excellent applications for it outside gaming, but coming home after work and dancing around or climbing Everest, can't see it with the current cable restrictions.

In professional setups for certain apps it'll mature and will definitely be used I think it's going to be very niche in gaming. That said I'm buying rift for maybe 5 games, so perhaps a very small niche is all it needs.

Fair enough man but I hope you get to try the Vive at some stage and see why it's totally different from the Wii experience. I was a bit harsh describing the rift as being like having your head in a jar because the Oculus touch controllers should work just as well for most of the Vive games that just support sitting or standing.

On controllers, I'm not really sold on either side, although I have to say touch looks more appealing to me and was actually one of the reasons I stayed in the rift camp. That and to my mind the Rift has been out there longer so the stuff I want it for has been retrofitted to work on the Rift, DCS and other flight sims. The absolute killer feature for me is actually the camera on the Vive, that I really want to look into more, although I'm sure there will be some ghetto retrofit for the Rift. The controllers I use will be a flight yoke/joystick/throttle, so being able to see those in a reasonable resolution (if only in outline) would be amazing.

Personally I think the Vive has some great features that will flesh out over the next couple of years. TBH by that time I expect I'll be upgrading.

Have you got the Rift?, if you haven't I think you should come over to the touchy side...I was iffy about going for the Vive, every day that rolls on convinces me i'm after making the right call though.
    I know we seen the tested review of the Rift above but i'm only after discovering this tested video, I think when it come to a head to head review they'll have to plump for the vive especially when there making statements like best VR experience yet.

Playing with my CV1 again this evening. My advice for everyone that has not had theirs shipped yet is to cancel. The artifacts when there is white on black is not acceptable and totally ruins the immersion of the experience. This is a hardware fault and cannot be fixed with a software update. Wait for the CV1.1 which I would assume would have a fix for this.

The vive will have the same issues as they use the same lense technology but I am told from very reliable sources that because the lenses are larger in the vive it is not noticeable unless you are looking to notice it. This is not the case on the vive where there is about an inch of flare whenever there is white on black. I will be getting my hands on a vive so will update with my findings.

That review is pretty poor and the opening line of his Final thoughts: "The rift is awesome and everything I hoped it would be. The only things we need now are Touch controllers and more games"
    Touch and room scale are massive leaps in VR and the oculus has neither without them your more or less paralysed in VR. That's why I said its out of date, the vive has what the cv2 will probably have.

This really doesn't make any sense though. Touch is releasing in a few months, and reviewers have consistently said that the preview Touch controllers are nicer to use because they feel more like you are gripping things when compared to the Vive controllers. Your issue is release schedule, not technology. (As an aside: I've got a Leap Motion coming, which by all accounts is going to be the wave of the future. Nothing more immersive than having your own fingers tracked individually)

As for room scale: Rift is perfectly capable of it, especially so with the second camera that comes with Touch, and you can bet your ass the best Vive games will be ported to Rift soon enough. Hover Junkers, for example, has already announced that you'll be able to play with Touch.

It hasn't been the smoothest launch, and I really think they should have gotten Touch out the door at the same time, but calling it out dated technology it hyperbolic and nonsensical. By Christmas you'll be looking at two almost identical systems.
    The artifacts when there is white on black is not acceptable and totally ruins the immersion of the experience.

I've heard consistently from multiple sources that it is literally just when you get white text on a black background, and that it vanishes entirely for any normal scene.

Which is slightly annoying but hardly a critical flaw. Do you notice when you're actually immersed in a game?
    This is a hardware fault and cannot be fixed with a software update.

I'm not sure you or anyone is in a position to say that.

Tested play some rift games (new video):

I've heard consistently from multiple sources that it is literally just when you get white text on a black background, and that it vanishes entirely for any normal scene.

Which is slightly annoying but hardly a critical flaw. Do you notice when you're actually immersed in a game?

Sorry to disappoint but I've heard from someone who has a Rift CV1 and Vive Pre that the glare is way worse on the rift. We still need someone to do a proper comparison though to be sure as I can't confirm if he was talking about those specific very high contrast moments or in general AND he has a Vive Pre so not the final Vive. There is a press embargo for the Vive CV1 which ends on Tuesday so we may not find out until then.

I'm not sure you or anyone is in a position to say that.

No, it is not only white text on black it is any scene that has a bright white color over a black background. Think space games (stars in the blackness).

Unless they can somehow update the lenses with a software update then the only way to fix this is by manipulating colors which as far as I am concerned as a developer is unacceptable.

My professional opinion is that the cv1 should not have been released as is and I recommend to anyone who has not had theirs shipped yet to cancel and wait for a hardware update. Right now it feels more like a DK3 (With lower FOV to boot)

• Advertisement

Just splashed out on these, should work fine as lighthouse stands, €25 for the 2 and delivery is free if you choose parcel motel other wise it's €16, hopefully they'll fit in the parcel motel box Phot-R® 2x 3m Professional Adjustable Aluminium Photo Studio Light Stand for ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MXX3TZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_sJnaxbJE71QSX

Advertisement