Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Apollo 11 VR is in the popular new release category in Steam atm and has won multiple awards.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457860/

Not bad for a small company from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Apollo 11 VR is in the popular new release category in Steam atm and has won multiple awards.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457860/

Not bad for a small company from Waterford.

Oooo, had no idea it was an Irish company.

Also coming out on PSVR and Vive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Vive review

http://www.destructoid.com/review-htc-vive-352103.phtml

Better for seated experience than the oculus!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

salamanca22, did you have Eircode in your credit card billing address? I'm suddenly confused, because my credit card was originally registered to my non-eircode address years ago, but Oculus automatically updated my billing address to include the Eircode.

I've a horrible suspicion that the system will reject payment because the addresses won't match.

Vive review

http://www.destructoid.com/review-htc-vive-352103.phtml

Better for seated experience than the oculus!

I hate to be the guy constantly defending the Rift, but she honestly sounds like she didn't have her Rift fit to her head properly. There should be no nose gaps or light leaks if she had it positioned correctly. Her comment that the Vive is more comfortable is also really weird because everyone else is saying the opposite. Her comments on there being 100 Vive titles and only 30 Rift titles isn't accurate, either. There's a difference between official launch titles and unofficial Rift-compatible apps. The latter is a hell of a lot higher than 30 - the same being counted in the 100 Vive titles I am sure.

(not entirely relevant but the English in that article is horrendous. Recipie? Compatable?)

EDIT: The review as based on a Vive-pre. I'll bet money she's comparing it to a DK2 rather than a CV1.
    EDIT: She says in the comments that it's the CV1, and there is a nose gap. I am finding conflicting reports about this nose gap.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    EDIT: The review as based on a Vive-pre. I'll bet money she's comparing it to a DK2 rather than a CV1.
    EDIT: She says in the comments that it's the CV1, and there is a nose gap. I am finding conflicting reports about this nose gap.

Yeah I'd wait until the Vive CV1 review embargo lifts tomorrow for proper comparisons. This is just a review of the Vive Pre which had no such embargo so you never know what could change in the final Vive. We'll get multiple reviews too (with multiple head shapes :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Zillah wrote: »
    salamanca22, did you have Eircode in your credit card billing address? I'm suddenly confused, because my credit card was originally registered to my non-eircode address years ago, but Oculus automatically updated my billing address to include the Eircode.

I've a horrible suspicion that the system will reject payment because the addresses won't match.

I didn't get mine sent to Ireland, it was sent to a colleague in the US and forwarded to me next day.

I wouldn't worry about the whole address thing though and your credit card. I have literally never been denied because of address issues.

Slashgear review http://www.slashgear.com/htc-vive-review-the-holodeck-you-always-wanted-05434792/

Time for more defending Zillah : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I dont really see anything in that review that would make me want to switch from one to the other. The Rift suits my needs at a lower price. In all honesty if I thought I was going to have got the Vive first I would have ordered it but the ice cream cones would have gone in the drawer after a few days I suspect.

I see all my toys as an itterative process. Once there's a wireless Rift/Vive/VRDeluxe I'm sure I'll sell on the Rift and upgrade. Until then I'm not sure we need to engage in the fanboism. That said thanks for linking the reviews, it's good to get some perspectives especially if Luckey keeps buggering me about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"i'll admit, the combination of glasses-related discomfort and the fact that I'm not a gamer in the traditional sense has meant my interest in virtual reality has been fairly low-key."

then why is he reviewing a VR headset ffs?

• Advertisement

Yea the reviews are a bit meh, just watched the tested one on fast forward and Engadget, there all a bit softly softly, everybody seems to be afraid to pin their medals to their chest..

@mark, the tested review said those ice creams are merely a deferred payment for oculus, you will want them.

@mark, the tested review said those ice creams are merely a deferred payment for oculus, you will want them.

I personally won't, but I take the point others will. I personally think the controllers on the Rift will trump those on the Vive but I'll keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Now that I can give my opinion of the vive vs the rift I can say one thing very honestly. The vive is miles ahead of the rift.

Both the sit down and stand up experience are a delight compared to the rift, now don't get me wrong it is not perfect but it is much closer to perfect than the rift. Graphic fidelity is much higher and the previously mentioned graphics artifacts present on the rift are not so much present on the vive. They use the same lense technology as the rift but because of the larger lenses on the vive they are almost not there. You would really have to be looking for them in order to notice them which I was and did not notice them right away even.

I have not had a chance to use it for more than a few hours but I will be able to get a lot more time with it in the next few weeks and cannot wait to get closer acquainted.

My opinion, ditch the rift cv1 and pay the extra for the much better vive experience or wait for the rift cv1.1 where hopefully the obvious issues will be fleshed out.

I personally won't, but I take the point others will. I personally think the controllers on the Rift will trump those on the Vive but I'll keep an open mind.

Both controllers will probably be out of date in 6 mts, what I'd like to be able to do is pull out a virtual keyboard and rattle off a few emails on it nearly as quick as I would an ordinary keyboard, I've seem a few Vids where people were entering digits on keypads with the vive controllers but it just reminded of me of my dad typing an email with the 1 finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Just pulled the trigger on the HTC Rift

Skerries wrote: »

The what now? :P

Delievery date?

:D have you not heard of the new Hybrid version?
    Facebook and HTC have secretly met and decided to roll out a third version which only a few preferred customers are able to order first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Skerries wrote: »

I waited a few minutes longer before I also bought the HTC Rift PSVR. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Both controllers will probably be out of date in 6 mts, what I'd like to be able to do is pull out a virtual keyboard and rattle off a few emails on it nearly as quick as I would an ordinary keyboard, I've seem a few Vids where people were entering digits on keypads with the vive controllers but it just reminded of me of my dad typing an email with the 1 finger.

I can't see a real keyboard being replaced anytime soon, but what I can see happening is the Vive using its AR camera to show your keyboard in VR.

If they used some trickery to turn it into a 3D model of a keyboard in VR it would be class, with a 3D model of your hands / fingers.

It will be interesting to see what Oculus do with that hand tracking Israeli company they bought a while back too.

I was calling the rift the 'Ocultist' for about 6 months.

• Advertisement

This summed it up nicely for me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11358618/htc-vive-vr-review

I agree with the criticisms on the rift, it's still the one for me though!

Good video on the steam VR homepage, gives you a good idea of life inside the vive haven't seen it visualised as well before, http://www.steamvr.com

Doge wrote: »
    If they used some trickery to turn it into a 3D model of a keyboard in VR it would be class, with a 3D model of your hands / fingers.

maybe something like this with the Leap motion might work
    for HTC http://blog.leapmotion.com/leap-motion-htc-vive-faq/
    for Rift http://blog.leapmotion.com/oculus-rift-consumer-edition-faq/?utm_source=Leap+Motion+Newsletter&utm_campaign=67c3584e8d-Newsletter_156c&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f0a6fbd89e-67c3584e8d-60099125

This summed it up nicely for me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11358618/htc-vive-vr-review

I agree with the criticisms on the rift, it's still the one for me though!

tldr version: ermehgerd its so ugly

Also: Apparently the rift controllers that didn't ship are better than the vives :D

Doge wrote: »
    I can't see a real keyboard being replaced anytime soon, but what I can see happening is the Vive using its AR camera to show your keyboard in VR.

It will be interesting to see what Oculus do with that hand tracking Israeli company they bought a while back too.

Put your hands in the air as though you had an invisible keyboard

Start typing, for say five minutes

Report your findings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tested Vive review is up:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im starting to lean towards the Vive being the winner here.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im starting to lean towards the Vive being the winner here.

The reviews are all putting it in a different space to the oculus, the video is impressive:

• Advertisement

Graphic fidelity is much higher

I find that such an odd thing to say. Surely that is dependent on the application and what your graphics card can handle? :confused: It's like saying the fidelity is higher on one 1080p monitor vs another. One thing no one is criticising is the Rift screens.

You really seem to be coming down very hard on the God-ray artifact, but everywhere I have seen it mentioned people are emphasising that they don't notice it much during normal gameplay, and that the Vive has it's own slightly different version (where you can actually see circular artifacts caused by the edges of the fresnel lenses).

It's not that I don't believe you - the chances of you being a HTC shill are pretty low, let's admit :pac: - but you seem to be quite drastically scare mongering over something everyone else says isn't a big deal.

Reviews do seem to be edging in favour of the Vive, but the only reason I can actually identify is the presence of the control wands. Which makes sense, not releasing Touch was stupid, but in a few months it won't matter.

I'm really not a fanboy, I couldn't care less which I end up with as long as it's a great piece of tech, but it's starting to get frustrating seeing so many people jumping on the Vive bandwagon but being able to say so little about why.

Advertisement