Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Duggy747 wrote: »

Half Life 2 I found to be quite impressive but really begs to be seen with the HD Rift.

Was that the HL2VR mod with the hydra support you tried?? I played for about 20 mins last night before i dropped one of the hydra controllers and it broke, what a waste of 100 euro :(

http://www.emcneill.com/ciessvr/ is the winner of the Rift-Jam competition a few months back, great little game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Was that the HL2VR mod with the hydra support you tried?? I played for about 20 mins last night before i dropped one of the hydra controllers and it broke, what a waste of 100 euro :(

http://www.emcneill.com/ciessvr/ is the winner of the Rift-Jam competition a few months back, great little game.

No, just mouse + keyboard, don't have the Hydra. Sucks that happens, those guys aren't cheap and seem to go pretty well with the OR.

I managed to try HL2 with 1080 which makes it look a lot better on the Rift with the Vireio perception driver but awkward to play. The actual OR update has the game capped at 1280x800 which is extremely noticeable when you've seen both resolutions, apparently this update has screwed a few things up that people had originally liked. It's only beta so hopefully they'll get rid of the resolution cap.

Haven't tried Ciess yet, completely forgot about it but looks good and heard a lot about it.

I've definitely adjusted to wearing the Rift now as when I tried it yesterday my vision took the screen immediately and I had no sense of nausea at all. I guess it's something like a bicycle, once you've gotten used to it you're pretty much set.

Got Lunar Flight which looks right up my alley but it won't recognise my Xbox controller but I'll have a proper go at getting it working this evening.

Tried Epic Dragon, where you control a flying dragon by just moving your head. Probably the best sense I've had of vertigo yet, especially when you fly up to the sky and come rocketing back down, my stomach was in knots.

Quake is awesome on this and is extremely playable considering how fast paced it is, you'd swear it was built for this. Really cool to return to this game in a completely new way, can't really say the same for the Doom version though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Has anyone suffered from "Oculus Rift Nose" yet? :)

You really need some padding on that nose section if you are going to be wearing it for any extended period of time. A small bit of black sugru sorted my rift out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

I'm desperate to try one of these. Where can they be bought at the moment? Are there any going second hand? Are they available to consumers yet? I'd prefer to wait until they improve the on the 720p.

Lotta questions, sorry!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would also love to try it, but will wait till they release the full hd model before investing.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Has anyone suffered from "Oculus Rift Nose" yet? :)

You really need some padding on that nose section if you are going to be wearing it for any extended period of time. A small bit of black sugru sorted my rift out.

I can see how that applies to people but luckily it doesn't bother me at all, I have a pretty big noggin so it sits moreso on it than putting pressure on my nose.

Tried Ciess, that's a really addictive game and has a great level of immersion to it. I can see myself playing this a fair bit.

Quake 2 also works quite well though aiming takes a bit of getting used to. The Rift came into it's own when I noticed an enemy was firing from a platform above when I saw a shot hit the ground in front of me, I looked up and then aimed to shoot him. Felt like a cowboy shooting someone on a balcony :pac:

Flying in dreams is a basic demo where you just fly around a rocky terrain in a glide suit, makes you feel like Superman and is another game that gives you the feeling of vertigo, though not as effective as Epic Dragon (which the screen shakes as you come back down at high speed). It could do with some openings or tight spaces between rocks as it feels cool to just freely do manoeuvres in the sky and fly low to the ground. It's a very early beta but it's a fun demo

Didn't play many games last night but instead looked at a lot of LG 3D SBS videos on YouTube, I forgot you could view them with this and some of them work quite well with the 3D effect. Though, again, the Rift really needs the HD screen for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kiith wrote: »
    Would also love to try it, but will wait till they release the full hd model before investing.
    I wonder what the retail version will cost?

I'm guessing a low latency, small HD screen will add some cost onto the unit. If it gets up to or over €600 it'll be hard to justify spending that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ScumLord wrote: »

I'm guessing a low latency, small HD screen will add some cost onto the unit. If it gets up to or over €600 it'll be hard to justify spending that kind of money.

They keep saying that retail will cost less than the dev kits.
    A man can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Have you used it yet? I haven't bought a console since the n64 as I can't justify spending that much money on something purely for gaming but this... I would easily shell €600. I was blown away by it

They're supposedly trying to stay around the $200-$300 mark, more or less the same price as the dev kit. It's doable as HD LCD screens in that size range are getting cheaper thanks to the popularity of tablets, especially when you consider how relatively cheap Nexus tablets are and the quality of their screens. To buy a replacement screen yourself for a Nexus along with it's digitiser would set you back around €70.

I'll definitely be buying the consumer version, this has great potential and the only fault I have with it is that it needs the HD screen, which is really only a minor quibble as I'm very happy with this kit.

• Advertisement

There is the potential to make it cheaper if they have the numbers but at the same time I'm guessing it's going to have to have much better parts and upgrades put into it.

I want it for sim racing so my only other real alternative to this is a 3 screen setup which would require a new graphics card and 2 new screens to go with the one I already have. Mounting and finding room for those screens would cost a fortune.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to upgrade my graphics card soon anyway as it's getting a bit long in the tooth (Nvidia 460) so I'm going to have to figure that into the cost of getting a rift.

If they can keep it at the €300 mark that will be great but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a hundred or two more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

anonimity wrote: »
    I'm desperate to try one of these. Where can they be bought at the moment? Are there any going second hand? Are they available to consumers yet? I'd prefer to wait until they improve the on the 720p.

Lotta questions, sorry!

There seems to be one lurking around alright. ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/other-peripherals/oculus-rift/4122843

I mean the rift at the moment is about 220 Euro(depending on exchange rates etc). Then you add on the shipping of 42 Euro and you are talking 262 Euro shipped to your door.
    To me thats damn cheap to get in on something like this before it actually gets a retail release. They can easily keep this below 300 Euro when they release it retail with a proper HD screen and perhaps an upgraded enclosure. And when it hits retail hopefully we will have more options as to where to buy it so we can cancel out a lot of that postage cost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'd be great if some of the bigger developers started supporting this sooner rather then later. Even just having it in racing games or flight sims, for a proper 1st person experience would be great.

Kiith wrote: »
    It'd be great if some of the bigger developers started supporting this sooner rather then later. Even just having it in racing games or flight sims, for a proper 1st person experience would be great.
    Most of the sims coming out already have support lined up as standard from the press guff I've read.

If it stays at €300 I'll be delighted, I'm just worry the price will creep up and the ceiling will have to be pretty high to turn me off getting it.

I mean the rift at the moment is about 220 Euro(depending on exchange rates etc). Then you add on the shipping of 42 Euro and you are talking 262 Euro shipped to your door.
    To me thats damn cheap to get in on something like this before it actually gets a retail release. They can easily keep this below 300 Euro when they release it retail with a proper HD screen and perhaps an upgraded enclosure. And when it hits retail hopefully we will have more options as to where to buy it so we can cancel out a lot of that postage cost.

Have to add VAT on top of that. Works out to just over €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My friend on steam just sent me this tonight.

I have no words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm reminded of the film THX 1138. Only took 40 odd years.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Have to add VAT on top of that. Works out to just over €300

Well all I paid for my second rift (which was delivered recently) was 265 Euro inc all taxes and shipping fees from the US. Cant remember the first one as it was the the kickstarter edition and I went for one of the higher pledges to get extras.

How much did you pay for yours? More than 265 Euro?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

FWIW prototypes and developer kits aren't subject to import duty but consumer products are (not sure about VAT).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I've a dead pixel smack bang in the middle of my screen

I think I know the cause of your problem. :(

a9qH9l0.jpg

Turns out it was just tiny bits of dirt but it did resemble a dead pixel :D

Well all I paid for my second rift (which was delivered recently) was 265 Euro inc all taxes and shipping fees from the US. Cant remember the first one as it was the the kickstarter edition and I went for one of the higher pledges to get extras.

How much did you pay for yours? More than 265 Euro?

I haven't actually bought. Almost bought it yesterday and it came to €303 all inclusive. I decided against getting it as I couldn't see myself using it very much. Its too much of a novelty at the moment and I certainly don't have time to develop anything myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you buy it now are the new dev kits 1080p? Myself and a friend are considering getting them but not at 480p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Grimebox wrote: »
    I haven't actually bought. Almost bought it yesterday and it came to €303 all inclusive. I decided against getting it as I couldn't see myself using it very much. Its too much of a novelty at the moment and I certainly don't have time to develop anything myself

Was that €303 on their site or after you calculated VAT and added it on yourself?

I wasnt charged VAT. Neither was anyone I know with one.

Kirby wrote: »
    If you buy it now are the new dev kits 1080p? Myself and a friend are considering getting them but not at 480p.

No, they won't be out until next year and I'm not even sure they'll be selling them like they are now to people beyond developers as nothing completely "official" has been said yet.

Anywho, been playing Mirrors Edge which is almost perfect for the Rift though FOV needs to be adjusted slightly and Perception driver isn't 100% for it.

Leaving Skyrim until the 28th when the Perception 2.0 driver is released which is supposed to add better support for it and it's HUD system as well as a load of other games.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was that €303 on their site or after you calculated VAT and added it on yourself?

I wasnt charged VAT. Neither was anyone I know with one.

I didn't calculate anything myself. They added it on. I was one click away from buying it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's crazy how bad I want a 1080p version.

Has anyone got to try a HD version? I'm wondering will a HD screen even look a bit pixelated? it's really only going to be a resolution of half that as it has to share two images on that screen.

I'm going to be negative about this until it comes out in an attempt to curb rampant excitement. The less excited you get, the less likely it is to disappoint on arrival.

Has anyone considered the dangers of the lawnmower man effect yet? On a HD screen it could be tenfold on what it was during the last VR boom.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got to try a HD version? I'm wondering will a HD screen even look a bit pixelated? it's really only going to be a resolution of half that as it has to share two images on that screen.

I'm going to be negative about this until it comes out in an attempt to curb rampant excitement. The less excited you get, the less likely it is to disappoint on arrival.

Has anyone considered the dangers of the lawnmower man effect yet? On a HD screen it could be tenfold on what it was during the last VR boom.

I've not tried the HD version but you can be 100 percent certain the 1080p version will have visible pixels. I've heard they are testing screen filters and other techniques to reduce the effect though.

Some people have had success in reducing it on the current version using privacy screen filters. But I've not tried any on my Rift yet.

Advertisement