Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah come on have you not being reading all the reviews, there all saying buy the vive, I've had a dk2 which is pretty close to the cv1, it's one limitation was you couldn't jump into the virtual world, you were merely a spectator in a wheelchair cemented to the ground, what your dismissing as nothing is actually massive, it's a complete game changer.
    Granted oculus controllers will be out some time before December, I doubt HTC are going to snooze either on releasing enhanced accessories.

If you said your getting the oculus as its cheaper and never going to want touch controllers I'd say fair enough but your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The reviews tend to be leaning towards the Vive, defo, but most of those reviews are really bad to be honest. A lot of them are being done by people who don't seem to know much about gaming let alone VR HMDs.

I really want to be convinced if one is better than the other, but I'm genuinely not seeing reasons being given that make any difference.

Everyone who has used the Touch prototypes has said they are awesome, so I've yet to see anything to suggest one system is going to be any better than the other in the long run. Steam is supporting the Rift through their SDK so we're not likely to even see many exclusives.

Not releasing Touch with the launch is dumb, I'll concede that, but everything else is air. And if you care so much about the short term, the Oculus launch line up seems to have a lot more interesting games for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Zillah wrote: »
    I find that such an odd thing to say. Surely that is dependent on the application and what your graphics card can handle? :confused: It's like saying the fidelity is higher on one 1080p monitor vs another. One thing no one is criticising is the Rift screens. All tests are done on the same testbed by the way so there is no change in hardware between tests.

You really seem to be coming down very hard on the God-ray artifact, but everywhere I have seen it mentioned people are emphasising that they don't notice it much during normal gameplay, and that the Vive has it's own slightly different version (where you can actually see circular artifacts caused by the edges of the fresnel lenses).

It's not that I don't believe you - the chances of you being a HTC shill are pretty low, let's admit :pac: - but you seem to be quite drastically scare mongering over something everyone else says isn't a big deal.

Reviews do seem to be edging in favour of the Vive, but the only reason I can actually identify is the presence of the control wands. Which makes sense, not releasing Touch was stupid, but in a few months it won't matter.

I'm really not a fanboy, I couldn't care less which I end up with as long as it's a great piece of tech, but it's starting to get frustrating seeing so many people jumping on the Vive bandwagon but being able to say so little about why.

Fidelity means to recreate an image as close the the source as possible. Right now I am working in a graphics studio with all manner of hardware for measuring graphical fidelity of displays. Right now the only way to really do so on VR is by eye though and the guys here all say the same, the vive reproduces their work much better than the rift does.

I am a software developer and not an artist so my word might not be enough but I do trust the guys here. And I certainly do enjoy the vive screens more than the rift, that may be because of the larger lenses though and the larger fov.

The god ray artifact, like I said is visible in a lot of scenarios including space games where there are white stars on a black background, this is not so present on the vive due to the larger lenses. These rays are present in all 3 cv1's in the studio.

I can't say I have noticed any circular artifacts on the vive and have not heard the guys mention them either. I will have a look out for them though the next time I am in the studio.

I have spent a considerable time in the dk1 and 2 and will on the cv1 aswell as my software will be included in some applications that leverage the technology and have spent a few hours in the vive and a good chunk of time in the pre as well. I can say with certainty that the vive is in fact miles ahead of the rift, in my professional opinion.

I want the rift to do better. I want them to fix what is broken. The just really messed up the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Got rift shipping email this morning, still in Processing Shipping so no trackingbnumber yet.............finally

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Got rift shipping email this morning, still in Processing Shipping so no trackingbnumber yet.............finally

Were you told April or March originally? I'm guessing March.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Were you told April or March originally? I'm guessing March.
    KS backer, so march 28 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was there a big hold up with the first batch of rifts?

My vive is out on the truck for delivery right now...just sayin' like

OSI wrote: »
    Limited supply of god-rays :pac:

Apparently the VR revolution has pushed the value of screen door stocks up through the roof

Bambi wrote: »
    Was there a big hold up with the first batch of rifts

There was some break down in their supply chain and they couldn't get some part for a while. It looks like they've fired whoever they were working with on that and are now back in full swing.

As an apology they waived all shipping fees for everyone who pre-ordered. Not bad for me to get 45 quid back in my pocket, but for the Aussies that's something bonkers like $150. The lads over on Reddit guess Oculus just ate something like $3,000,000 worth of shipping fees.

EDIT: Just read that Valve has stated that once Touch launches they'll integrate it with chaperone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Woke up to a message on facebook with this video this morning! :pac:

NSFWish...

• Advertisement

Rift picked up by UPS from the Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Interesting Ted Talk on using VR for a greater good, rather than what was in the last video I posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Doge wrote: »
    ...rather than what was in the last video I posted!

I thought it was Fecking hilarious :D ...just don't tell anyone I said that, right?

My Rift is going from NL via UK to Ireland, FFS, it doesn't even give an estimated delivery day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Btw if anyones still got a DK1, (or has a chance to pick one up cheap) , it works pretty well under SteamVR (with the 0.8 runtime), ironically it wont work at all with Oculus home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On the off chance anyone has one/is getting one and doesn't want it, let me know please :)

On the off chance anyone has one/is getting one and doesn't want it, let me know please :)
    deja vu man, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually got my DK1 and DK2 through boards! Can't remember who sold me the DK2 but they gave me an excellent deal to be quite fair to them. Really eager to get the CV1 but after shelling out 2k on my PC recently it's hard to find the motivation to spend another 700 on the Oculus.

Question actually - are many DK2 apps compatiable with CV1?

No idea how many have been updated, but I can tell you that I am constantly seeing announcements about DK2 apps being updated for CV1. Anything that isn't abandonware is gonna get there sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I tried Lucky's Tale on my DK2 with my not good enough PC. Just have a 7850, with AMD 4300 so not greatat all, but it ran smoother than any other game or app I've tried on it in the past. There's some kind of sorcery in the new Oculus 1.31 update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oculus updated the shipping estimates tonight.

My 4:42pm order April Estimate now........

[Drum Roll]

30/05/16 - 09/06/16

June

Worst Product launch ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭edward2222

Samsung is with oculus rift.

Apple is falling behind.

Wondering if apple is building something similar .

edward2222 wrote: »
    Samsung is with oculus rift.

Apple is falling behind.

Wondering if apple is building something similar .
    They have people working on VR...*can't wait*

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Calibos wrote: »
    Oculus updated the shipping estimates tonight.

My 4:42pm order April Estimate now........

[Drum Roll]

30/05/16 - 09/06/16

June

Worst Product launch ever.

Same window here, April estimate, 4:43pm order time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I only just noticed there's a Rift topic here too :) I got mine last Thursday. I was one of the first backers of the original Kickstarter (in the first 50) so I think that's why I got it already.

I've mainly been playing Elite Dangerous and I'm really impressed. I didn't use the DK1 much at all because the lag made me very dizzy but with the CV1 I have no issues even when I do mad manoeuvres trying to get into a space station docking port :)

I tried some of the Oculus home stuff as well and it's great but in terms of total gaming experience Elite really rules. I love how complete the cockpits are, even parts you can't see without VR. When using mouse look you can't look all the way behind you for instance. The attention to detail is amazing. The holographic displays in the cockpit all have different depths and it really adds to the feeling of being in a ship.

Yesterday I landed on a big base on a planet somewhere just as the sun was going down and I moved closer to the window just to admire the view, with local drones flying around and spaceships coming and going. You can even see the dirt streaks on the windows.

It's really what I always expected VR to be, and now it's finally here!

Edit: by the way I'm just reading back in the topic, I wanted to add that I also see the 'God Ray' artifacts in elite. It's worst when I first put the rift on because the lenses tend to fog up a bit until they're warmed up. After a while the effect is not as noticeable anymore. It doesn't really bother me. It's not noticeable in brighter games, the stark black/white contrasts of space games really bring it out the most but even then I don't find it very distracting. The game has its own built-in lens flares too so it doesn't really stand out.

Strange enough oculus home games use white on black a lot in the loading screens which is a strange choice considering it brings out this artifact more. If they'd use less contrasty loading screens I doubt people would notice in most games.

What bothers me more is how difficult it is to put it on with glasses on. They always catch on the foam and I'm sure it will get damaged over time. Once it's on it's comfortable for multi-hour sessions and even taking them off is OK because the back strap tends to be lower. Just the putting it on is annoying.

I tried it without glasses too but I couldn't get a sharp image even though my eyes are only mildly nearsighted. I believe the worst one is between -1 and -2 with some astigmatism. My other eye is below -1 so I think this is why I can't get it to focus: the rift focuses by moving the entire unit up/down which means both eyes have to have roughly the same prescription. It's not possible to adjust them individually.

Overall though I'm very impressed. I got one for free as a Kickstarter backer but even if I had paid full price I would have been happy.

The DK1 was a big disappointment to me at the time because I was extremely prone to motion sickness from it, to the point of not being able to use it. I'm very glad they managed to fix this.

Another thing I was reading about here: yes there is definitely a nose gap. But it's not bad, you can only see it if you tilt your eyes all the way down. The light leakage is not noticeable in-game. In fact I use it to find keys on the keyboard while I have the headset on, especially with the glasses its much easier to do that than to take it off. You can only see a very small area but its enough to find keys or check what it was that the cable snagged on :)

Has anyone who used the DK2 got thoughts on the difference between it and the commercial version?

I love Tested. These guys are the only ones out there doing genuinely detailed, informative reviews. They sound like experts, whereas every other review sounds like it is someone just coming to VR for the first time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBieKwa2ID0

Main highlights:
    - Vive has brighter screens.
    - Rift has a bigger focus sweet spot.
    - Both have good field of view, it's very subjective and there isn't much difference.
    - Vive controllers are a game changer that Rift has no answer to until Touch.
    - Rift is physically much more comfortable on your head.
    - Rift cable is shorter, needs more connections, but the tracking is generally a little more reliable.

They said their ideal right now would be if they could use Vive controllers with a Rift headset. Touch should shake things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The fact the rift works well with one camera in this initial version, probably means that once they bring out the touch controllers and maybe add another camera for room tracking it may well be slightly better at tracking.

I keep leaning towards the rift, mostly because of the work and effort they've put into getting every stage right. I get the impression it's a slightly more polished product, and that vive shot for the moon straight out because they had to, just to catch up and compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My order is delayed until 20-30th June. Sad face :(

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    My order is delayed until 20-30th June. Sad face :(

Exact same dates for me. I had "May" previously.

Advertisement