Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not unless they magically manage to create some kind of anti gravity effect for me to rest my hands on they're not. The vive controller are great for interacting with the world with handless stumps. They're not going to allow for switching a toggle to one of five modes anytime soon. The little nipple mouse on my HOTAS on the other hand...

Even using them as a flight yoke in a commercial jet would be exhausting after a while.

One weak point is the lack of support but tbh I can use them with my hands resting on my lap or the desk so it's not that a big a deal, what would be a bigger deal is people like being able to feel for the controls on a hotas rather than have to look at the panel in the game world. which is'nt actually realistic oddly enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can't say that I've seen a single Irish person (as opposed to Irish person abroad) on reddit exclaim, "I got my Rift!!" Nor here. Have any of us received CV1's yet?

In other news Europe got so far ahead in order time fulfillments (some European 30 minute orders shipping compared to 6 minutes in the states) and it was creating bad PR with the Yanks combined with the Best Buy Retail controversy that Oculus have re-allocated this weeks Europe allocation to the states. No Rifts will ship in Europe this week. (Straight from the horses mouth on Reddit u/Twistedgibber Oculus PR/CS Head on Reddit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Not to sound too pessimistic but the early adopter tax is just too high on this one, both in terms of cost and how people are being treated. The worst bit is I bet after a few months of it settling down, there will be a price cut or CV2 announced. Considering I can have my VR fun with the dk2 and GearVR I will watch from the sidelines for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

imitation wrote: »
    Not to sound too pessimistic but the early adopter tax is just too high on this one, both in terms of cost and how people are being treated.
    People aren't being treated badly. Oculus would be trying their best to keep up but with the best of intentions and planning they got overwhelmed. That happens all the time in all sorts of industries. What they're doing isn't easy, mistakes should be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Calibos wrote: »
    Can't say that I've seen a single Irish person (as opposed to Irish person abroad) on reddit exclaim, "I got my Rift!!" Nor here. Have any of us received CV1's yet?

In other news Europe got so far ahead in order time fulfillments (some European 30 minute orders shipping compared to 6 minutes in the states) and it was creating bad PR with the Yanks combined with the Best Buy Retail controversy that Oculus have re-allocated this weeks Europe allocation to the states. No Rifts will ship in Europe this week. (Straight from the horses mouth on Reddit u/Twistedgibber Oculus PR/CS Head on Reddit)

Nope :( Still on the 23rd May - 2nd June shipping date. Still it's after my exams to I'm waiting :D
    Not to sound too pessimistic but the early adopter tax is just too high on this one, both in terms of cost and how people are being treated. The worst bit is I bet after a few months of it settling down, there will be a price cut or CV2 announced. Considering I can have my VR fun with the dk2 and GearVR I will watch from the sidelines for another while.

There won't be a price cut. They're creating a market by selling at a loss. That'll require months if not years of selling at the current price points (or near to) to return a profit. There may be updates right enough but then there always are.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    People aren't being treated badly. Oculus would be trying their best to keep up but with the best of intentions and planning they got overwhelmed. That happens all the time in all sorts of industries. What they're doing isn't easy, mistakes should be expected.

Sure, its not going to be easy and you will have delays when your making a new product like this with huge demand. At the same time though, people are getting the same delay experience that people who ordered dk1s off kickstarter and dk2s off oculus for $300. Why is it happening now they have the backing of a huge multinational like facebook and you are paying $700 ?

At the same time they are releasing some rifts to bricks and mortar shops (contractually obliged and all that). It must be pretty infuriating if you paid a few months back to see them being picked up at random.

I have massive respect for oculus for bringing VR to the fore, but I can see how it must be maddening for customers.

Finally processing for shipping :D

Can anyone confirm there are no custom duties please?

Were you not in the pre order patch? :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    Were you not in the pre order patch? :eek:

I was, taking a long time to get but that's life. Have exams anyways so it's worked out pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The thing I am happiest about for going Vive is that I won't have to go through all of this nonsense again when it's time for the Touch launch.

• Advertisement

Okay chaps, we've done the ol' Vive v Rift thing to death - I'm very glad you're happy but I'm also a big boy able to decide between products and the rift was the one a I chose for reasons stated.

To ask the question again - can anyone confirm they're shipped intra EU and I don't have to worry about custom charges. TIA.

I was, taking a long time to get but that's life. Have exams anyways so it's worked out pretty well.

I knew oculus where making a balls of it but that's shocking

I knew oculus where making a balls of it but that's shocking

:rolleyes:

I don't think you get to decide that we're not allow compare and contrast our opinions on various headsets.

I'm not comparing with anything, of itself that's very poor customer service

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't think you get to decide that we're not allow compare and contrast our opinions on various headsets.

Indeed, however it's fair enough to push back on blatant fanboyism bordering on trolling at this point. There's been no activity on this thread for the guts of two weeks and no new information (look at my post on the 5th giving shipping info) other than me asking a question - which neither of you, who have more than put you opinions across at this stage when the discussion was going on, have engaged with.

Now you're absolutely correct that it's not my place to backseat mod. However I can try and keep my question from being drowned out by people trying to justify their own purchases. I've been dealing with Fanboys since the Amiga 500 - tbh it gets boring. If you're happy go and play with your Vive. If you're not then of course I can't stop you from constantly posting here, presumably looking for some sort of catharsis.

I'm not comparing with anything, of itself that's very poor customer service

And indeed was on the 5th May when I initially posted and was before then when the whole conversation was going on. I was happy enough to take the free shipping and run with it for my own reasons. Do we need post upon post saying the same thing or can we move on from the 'it's very bad customer service' and on to anything brought up in the last 10 days or so?

Yeah I really think you're reading waaaay too much into this, my point about the likely debacle that could be the Touch launch is hardly fanboism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I've been dealing with Fanboys since the Amiga 500

yeah because you probably had the Atari ST, LOSER!!!

;)

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah I really think you're reading waaaay too much into this, my point about the likely debacle that could be the Touch launch is hardly fanboism.

It is when it's unsolicited in a thread which has had no activity for the guts of two weeks. It is when it's combined with a non sequitur statement about having the Vive and it is when the point is made over and over again whenever I try and drag it back on to the latest topic. It is when there is a specific thread for the Vive.

For the third time of asking - does anyone know if these are shipping intra EU? I don't really want to engage with any other points, however if others want to have a conversation, great; perhaps a way to open that up would be to make open points rather than what's gone before.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah because you probably had the Atari ST, LOSER!!!

;)

LOL, I had a CPC464 then a 1200. I came in more at the PC v Amiga end of things and we know how that turned out. I have to say though the Atari is still in use in music production in some very limited circumstances.

At the risk of igniting this again it's coming from The Netherlands, incase anyone else is wondering. It's due on Friday it's going to be very difficult leaving it in the box for a week!

For the third time of asking - does anyone know if these are shipping intra EU? I don't really want to engage with any other points, however if others want to have a conversation, great; perhaps a way to open that up would be to make open points rather than what's gone before.

Sorry, but it looks everybody is either waiting for a rift or not getting one at the moment for various reasons. Reddit has an active sub on the rift at least, probably more info to be had there.

I can report that the oculus store and luckys tale work grand with a dk2 and 360 controller though. Its a nice to be able to test out the games, even if its a subpar compared to the real deal.

Sorry, but it looks everybody is either waiting for a rift or not getting one at the moment for various reasons. Reddit has an active sub on the rift at least, probably more info to be had there.

I can report that the oculus store and luckys tale work grand with a dk2 and 360 controller though. Its a nice to be able to test out the games, even if its a subpar compared to the real deal.

Mines shipped, I suspect other than founders CV1 it's the first shipment into Ireland. Interestingly there's an Irish office even if it's unmanned.

Oculus VR Ireland Limited
    4 Grand Canal Square
    Grand Canal Harbour
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Delighted with that if I ever need to make a warranty/consumer rights claim.

It's being shipped from the Netherlands so nothing more to pay. Happy out at under €700 notes. I won't be investing in controllers for the foreseeable as this was always destined for sim use.

Next bit of pocket money is going on DSC World!

(Shame there's no F16 :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Mines shipped, I suspect other than founders CV1 it's the first shipment into Ireland. Interestingly there's an Irish office even if it's unmanned.

Oculus VR Ireland Limited
    4 Grand Canal Square
    Grand Canal Harbour
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Delighted with that if I ever need to make a warranty/consumer rights claim.

It's being shipped from the Netherlands so nothing more to pay. Happy out at under €700 notes. I won't be investing in controllers for the foreseeable as this was always destined for sim use.

I know of one other Irish person who got a Rift about a month ago so you're certainly not the only one. Things have come a long way since F16 Combat Pilot on the Amiga!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Give War Thunder a run first it's free and has an f16, if you can meet someone else in a vive or rift your in for some serious fun flying. You'll know who's using one when your in the air.

I know of one other Irish person who got a Rift about a month ago so you're certainly not the only one. Things have come a long way since F16 Combat Pilot on the Amiga!

I actually played that on the 464 - amazing game. As was the F15 (IIRC simm on the Amiga) the gfx at the time - wow!

Was the person who got theirs a DK1 backer though? I was 30 mins or so into preorders, so it's good to hear others have theirs. I thought Europe was just being pushed back until mid/late May.
    Give War Thunder a run first it's free and has an f16, if you can meet someone else in a vive or rift your in for some serious fun flying. You'll know who's using one when your in the air.

I was trying that - seemed great fun, must give it another shot. How do you know other headset users?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Have mine too for about a month now. Though I got mine via other channels. It's not got much use though I admit since I use the vive a my primary headset and the rift when I want to test compatibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Keep staring at the order page periodically. Can I do it ? Justify €700? I keep putting it off, but I'm itching to get one. For me it has to be the Rift over the Vive for the far stronger games line up. One appeared on adverts a while back but for something like €1200!

• Advertisement

Keep staring at the order page periodically. Can I do it ? Justify €700? I keep putting it off, but I'm itching to get one. For me it has to be the Rift over the Vive for the far stronger games line up. One appeared on adverts a while back but for something like €1200!

Id hold off a few months until the controllers are out in the wild

Advertisement