Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Having used my Vive in seated only position and with room scale with the motion controls I find the movement based VR is way more immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what games have you tried seated as I am having trouble getting Euro Truck 2 working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Keep staring at the order page periodically. Can I do it ? Justify €700? I keep putting it off, but I'm itching to get one. For me it has to be the Rift over the Vive for the far stronger games line up. One appeared on adverts a while back but for something like €1200!

If you've held off I would continue too personally.

Rift or Vive it's such a massive step forward for simming I could justify €700. (Although it became more difficult when I bought a 34" UW). For VR it's just not there yet on either product. They're amazing experiences to be sure but there's no Fallout/Elder Scrolls/killer games that would make me feel like I'm missing out - although FO4 is meant to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Skerries wrote: »
    what games have you tried seated as I am having trouble getting Euro Truck 2 working?

With the Vive, it works handily enough. Search the sticky on the steam forum for ET2 fopr details, you need to use a specific branch of the VR release and add the Vr switch to the launch options, you (may?) also need to copy some stuff into a config file

DCS world seated is pretty amazing too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Keep staring at the order page periodically. Can I do it ? Justify €700? I keep putting it off, but I'm itching to get one. For me it has to be the Rift over the Vive for the far stronger games line up. One appeared on adverts a while back but for something like €1200!

There's a third party program that is letting people play Oculus games on the Vive with no problems, called Revive.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    There's a third party program that is letting people play Oculus games on the Vive with no problems, called Revive.

There is put you get the impression oculus will try to bork it with every update

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you've held off I would continue too personally.

Rift or Vive it's such a massive step forward for simming I could justify €700. (Although it became more difficult when I bought a 34" UW). For VR it's just not there yet on either product. They're amazing experiences to be sure but there's no Fallout/Elder Scrolls/killer games that would make me feel like I'm missing out - although FO4 is meant to be amazing.

I've got a certain milestone coming up next month, was torn between the Rift and a big feck-off telly as my family present for a while but decided VR isn't there yet. An LG OLED for Euro 2016 it is then:p

I've got a certain milestone coming up next month, was torn between the Rift and a big feck-off telly as my family present for a while but decided VR isn't there yet. An LG OLED for Euro 2016 it is then:p

You can have any size TV you want in VR :pac:

It's an amazing technology. I hope the players get over themselves and the only exclusives are ones bound by the technology. It doesn't help anyone having this 'format war'. That said it seems like DCS and others are making games compatible with both which is great.

If I wasn't itching for something to replace my Track IR I'd probably have held off too. I think we're going to see some very exciting developments in the next 12-24 months, including a reduction in the total cost of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Skerries wrote: »
    You need to select the oculus beta branch and put -oculus in the application start in steam

Rift arriving today (fingers crossed) - tracking says it's on the van!

Where the feck are you UPS?!

• Advertisement

Rift arriving today (fingers crossed) - tracking says it's on the van!

Where the feck are you UPS?!

My Vive arrived an hour ago. We're, like, VR twins - right?

In other news: the latest Oculus Home update has broken ReVive, deliberately it seems. It performs a check to make sure the Rift headset is actually plugged in. Seems a self-defeating move - why would they actively try to stop Vive users from buying games from them?

It'll be days before the crackers catch up, I am sure, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My Vive arrived an hour ago. We're, like, VR twins - right?

In other news: the latest Oculus Home update has broken ReVive, deliberately it seems. It performs a check to make sure the Rift headset is actually plugged in. Seems a self-defeating move - why would they actively try to stop Vive users from buying games from them?

It'll be days before the crackers catch up, I am sure, though.

That's the reason I wouldn't get a Vive. Oculus will always try to stamp out these circumvention measures.

If they didn't, there would be less reason for people to buy its VR headset over the Vive of course - at the moment, the Rift has a way better games library even if most people prefer the Vive as a user experience.

the Rift has a way better games library even if most people prefer the Vive as a user experience.

I reeeeally don't think so, given that exactly 0% of those games are roomscale or use Touch, but I suppose we shouldn't mention the war again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's the reason I wouldn't get a Vive. Oculus will always try to stamp out these circumvention measures.

If they didn't, there would be less reason for people to buy its VR headset over the Vive of course - at the moment, the Rift has a way better games library even if most people prefer the Vive as a user experience.
    I am not expecting too many VR exclusives. The VR market is tiny when compared to traditional games. Devs would be really shooting themselves in the foot going for exclusivity.

Eve Valkyrie was said to be an Oculus and PSVR exclusive but it now turns out that it is coming to HTC Vive.

Really impressed with the move on from screen door - still there is high res video, trying a few games. So far no issues with FoV.

Very impressed with the set up - very easy and very polished.

Godrays - seen them with white on black, really not bothering me at the moment. In fact I quite like them in an odd sort of way. More as I get to grips with it!

T

Which games? I know luckys tale and eve are exclusive but tbh they don't really interest me

I've heard you can hook a rift up to the Vive breakout box and it works fine

Eve Valkyrie

I would pay very good money for a Freespace 2-style campaign in Valkyrie's engine.

I would pay very good money for a Freespace 2-style campaign in Valkyrie's engine.

Squadron 42 in 500 years or whenever it's finished?

It is the year 2516. The human race has been all but exterminated by the robot uprising. A few brave survivors battle the machines and enjoy playing the recently released Star Citizen.

Absolutely amazing device, but it's not quite there yet.

First of all the product is extremely well polished. It's got that applesque feeling to it. It all just works. Set up is a doddle, it's comfortable and it really is like taking off or putting on a set of headphones.

The known issues:

Godrays - hardly noticeable - very occasionally you'll see them and normally it's in credits or menus. I fired up Elite:Dangerous where I really thought I'd see it, not once - that I noticed - even staring at a star.

Nose Gap - More handy than anything else in all honesty. If it's that much of an issue - tissue paper, and before anyone gets all uppity about ghetto mods - the Vive needs a couple to function at it's peak too (see FOV).

FOV - Yep it's a minor issue and apparently this is where the Vive is the Daddy, if you do some foam modding. Again though it is such a minor issue. It's only a problem when you're wanting to face forward and look at the extreme of your peripheral vision. Normally you're swinging your head about so you don't notice it. I could see it being an issue in FPS BUT -

SDE/Resolution - this is where both devices fall down at the moment. I only have the Rift so I'll limit my comments to that. The resolution and SDE (Screen Door Effect) are just that tiny bit too small and tiny bit too noticeable respectively for me to say go spend €700. Playing FO4 (very slow paced in comparison to most FPS's) is more difficult. I could see me using VATS more often - not an option in most games. Elite:Dangerous absolutely blew me away though, absolute WOW factor.

My PC is also no slouch with a OC'd and water cooled R9 290 and i7 4790K, 16GB RAM but FO4 in Geometry (best setting 3D) struggles - that said that's everything maxed. I'm sure I'll get it running well tweaking it, but for now I have to get on with studying :pac: I really think you have to use existing games to make the purchase worthwhile unless you're an avid simmer - there simply isn't enough out yet in the store.

My recommendation, honestly, is hold off. Go with the next round of GPU upgrades then consider the CV2/Vive 2.0. Don't get me wrong I'm delighted with the product but it's bang to buck only makes sense if you are super psyched about this tech, very rich or are a developer. This is based on the unit as a display only - I honestly don't buy into all this controller stuff I think that being got right is a way off yet, yes it's cool but almost a grand cool - not in my eyes but everyone is different.

Still to try DCS and Star Citizen, but I think that needs to be another day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I really think you have to use existing games to make the purchase worthwhile unless you're an avid simmer - there simply isn't enough out yet in the store.
    I want it for sim racing and I almost don't care what else it does if it does that right.

It probably would be sensible to hold out for the next generation but they're a year or two away I'd say, and I've already gone through not buying the DV kits. I can't take it anymore, I just, I want one!

ScumLord wrote: »
    I want it for sim racing and I almost don't care what else it does if it does that right.

It probably would be sensible to hold out for the next generation but they're a year or two away I'd say, and I've already gone through not buying the DV kits. I can't take it anymore, I just, I want one!

I've been blown away by Elite:Dangerous, just finished about 90 minutes of cargo runs. I'm going to give project Cars a whirl when I have a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So you'd go for the headset that has even more restrictions and DRM? Backwards, lad!

To me, this is why I'll never get an OR.

W...T... I can use SteamVR on the Rift! Okay bit of a douche bag move not letting the Vive access the rift store.

Wow I'm gonna be up all night - though steamVR was just for the Vive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

W...T... I can use SteamVR on the Rift! Okay bit of a douche bag move not letting the Vive access the rift store.

Wow I'm gonna be up all night - though steamVR was just for the Vive!

Valves OpenVR is completely open source:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr

It's why I as a developer use the vive 98% of the time and my rift cv1 only gets taken out to test compatibility just like I would use internet explorer 1% of the time when I wanted to test cross browser compatibility of some javascript :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

3tfDUFM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ScumLord wrote: »

I held back from ordering a DK1 or DK2. When the screen specs were finally made public and I realised 4K was out of the question for CV1 and then heard about the FOV being reduced to maximise pixels per degree to help reduce SDE, I realised that while I would likely still be blown away by CV1 seeing as I remained a 100% VRgin, I'd still likely notice the resolution limitations. The way I choose to look at it is that my CV1 is a DK3. Its going to be able to show all the future 'Potential' of VR but it won't be a perfect experience. Despite some resolution and FOV shortcomings though I simply couldn't sit out this 'Developer Kit' generation too.

But boy oh boy. I can't wait for 4k per eye, 150º FOV, eyetracking and Foveated rendering, Wireless HMD etc

The guys nothing but a sock puppet for zuckerberg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Calibos wrote: »
    But boy oh boy. I can't wait for 4k per eye, 150º FOV, eyetracking and Foveated rendering, Wireless HMD etc
    Yep, its obvious to me now that this generation whether OR or Vive is just the Alpha or Beta and is just too flawed, I was really worried there for a while because I kept my old pc on life support for as long as I could before I bought my current gaming pc and I thought Id bought at just the wrong time to not be fuly specced for VR but now I dont care, it'll be another 3-4 years before I own a VR rig anyway, bit relieved tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Gentlemen if I may can I ask a question? Ok here goes. What's it like? I've used the cheap put your phone in plastic goggles and it's unimpressive. It's like looking at your mobile screen with slight bit of depth and you can see the plastic mount around. It's not VR.

Is rift actually like being in the space? Vis a vis you can't see plastic in your peripheral vision nor the edge of a screen 3 or 4 cm from your eyes?

Advertisement