Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zillah wrote: »
    The fact that they are trying to so hard to block ReVive makes me hesitant to risk buying anything on their storefront.

Expect it to continue

Facebooks success is based on their walled garden approach so they can monitor their customers every move. They're going to try to replicate that for the rift.

I don't see gaming as even being their prime interest in VR they just want to dominate VR from the get go because they know its where content consumption is going to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bambi wrote: »
    Expect it to continue

Their efforts, sure, but I've little doubt that ReVive is going to stay ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The sad reality is that we live in the age of the app store, the physical item is only half the battle, you need the locked down store that holds peoples investment so people don't ditch you overnight ala nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I see the Vive Heads have taken over the Boards Oculus thread just like the Oculus subreddit :rolleyes:

Calibos wrote: »
    I see the Vive Heads have taken over the Boards Oculus thread just like the Oculus subreddit :rolleyes:

More like changing. The Oculus subreddit hasn't been invaded by Vive fans; Rift fans are changing their minds en mass - I was one. No one is stopping you from posting here, and it's not like the conversation is flying along at a blistering pace. You chose to complain about other posters instead of talking about the Rift.

• Advertisement

Yeah it wouldn't have anything to do with oculus trying to create a closed environment for customers who are PC gamers causing mass desertion in the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Taken from Reddit, https://goo.gl/KVjmBI
    (5 months ago)

If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers?

The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself.

The issue is people who expect us to officially support all headsets on a platform level with some kind of universal Oculus SDK, which is not going to happen anytime soon. We do want to work with other hardware vendors, but not at the expense of our own launch, and certainly not in a way that leads to developing for the lowest common denominator - there are a lot of ****ty headsets coming, a handful of good ones, and a handful that may never even hit the market. Keep in mind that support for the good ones requires cooperation from both parties, which is sometimes impossible for reasons outside our control.

On another note, I disagree with most of your post, and I think you are either misunderstanding or misrepresenting several important points, but that does not change my answer.
    permalinkembedparent

Lie after lie. I hope they change their ways. They could do with some good PR.

Zillah wrote: »
    More like changing. The Oculus subreddit hasn't been invaded by Vive fans; Rift fans are changing their minds en mass - I was one. No one is stopping you from posting here, and it's not like the conversation is flying along at a blistering pace. You chose to complain about other posters instead of talking about the Rift.

And as soon as I talk about the Rift....

This is the kind of sh!t I'd have to listen too. r/Oculus is unbearable for a while now and it looks like this thread is heading the same way.

"Should have got a Vive Mate"

"Don't you understand how awesome roomscale is"

"How can you support an evil corporation"

"Exclusives are bad m'Kay"

Oculus buyers having to defend their choice in the Oculus thread of all places.

Rant and bitch about Oculus in the Vive thread FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There are way more Vive's in the wild now as well than Rift's, which explains a lot of the dominating topical nature of the Vive right now. I still plan getting the Rift over the Vive personally, and I do find people try to make out like you're an uneducated imbecile for thinking that way.

I can't for the life of my see why VR would want replicate a hoolo deck experience...surely the future is 180 degrees only

I can't for the life of me see how a massive monopoly trying to force hardware DRM into VR could have a negative effect on PC Gaming

Am I doing this right?

• Advertisement

I can understand many prospective buyers being put off the Rift after all the negetive PR lately.

There aren't many Rift owners out there but there are a huge amount of prospective Rift purchasers who have been dialled into the Oculus sub-reddit for quite some time. They have been watching a lot of the Rift founders brain farts and launch delivery issues.

Its not a case of a Vive takeover :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Let's do our best to avoid any new kind of "Playstation vs Xbox" war from happening with the Vive and Rift. Discussing the pros or cons of either devices is absolutely fine, but I will not allow any sort of fanboy wars to happen.

We are all better off without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I know a couple more of ye have yours incoming.

I've been very happy so far. I'm noticing the SDE a lot less in games now I'm using supersampling the problem now though is even a 1080 looks like it might be a bit under powered!

Please keep the thread updated as yours come in!

Tonight's project - Fallout 4! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have an Oculus ordered but I'm still on the waiting list so it'll be while. I plan to get a GTX 1080 as well in a couple of weeks so I can tell you how underpowered or overpowered it is with VR. I'd be surprised if it doesn't handle it beautifully tbh.

Kirby wrote: »
    I have an Oculus ordered but I'm still on the waiting list so it'll be while. I plan to get a GTX 1080 as well in a couple of weeks so I can tell you how underpowered or overpowered it is with VR. I'd be surprised if it doesn't handle it beautifully tbh.

It's more trying to get it to run something like FO4 rendered at double resolution, that said the new render paths seems to give a huge uptick in VR.

A couple of other points - has anyone else found VorpX very slow to load?

Any good video players - tried Whilgig but it's a bit janky on AMD.

Bambi wrote: »
    I can't for the life of my see why VR would want replicate a hoolo deck experience...surely the future is 180 degrees only

I can't for the life of me see how a massive monopoly trying to force hardware DRM into VR could have a negative effect on PC Gaming

Am I doing this right?

If by doing it right you mean repeating the same debunked a million times FUD and the same reactionary nonsense about all things Oculus, then yes, you're doing it right. :rolleyes:

Honestly, lets see the reaction if I went into the Vive thread to lecture you guys on the practicalities and mechanics of roomscale as opposed to the fairyland ideal you've created in your head. You'd be screaming blue murder.

The most vocal proponents of Roomscale assume anyone who doesn't think its the holy grail must lack imagination or must think its ultimately crap like Wii-motes and simply doesn't understand the tech. Doesn't understand the difference between a Wii-mote and 1:1 motion tracked controller. The irony is that the most unimpressed by roomscale people are likely those that actually have more imagination and have put a lot more thought into the practicalities of it.

I cant wait for tracked motion controls. I can't wait for 360º standing 'roomscale' experiences. By that I mean I am very excited by them. 'Literally' though, I can wait...I can wait for Touch because I am not a manchild and have patience. I will not settle for a Developer kit HMD that is worse if even only slightly in several important areas, just so I can play some tech demo's a few months early and where the hand presence amounts to interacting with the Virtual world with Salad Tongs. The majority of the presence multiplying effect of 'Roomscale' comes from standing and the first couple of steps away from centre. Its the law of diminishing returns after that. The next step you take after those initial first 2 before you invoke your immersion breaking chaperone bounds by getting too close to the wall, couch, coffee table does not add any more presence. Roomscale doesn't solve locomotion. Unless the Roomscale experience is literally the scale of a room like Job Sim/Audioshield, Space Pirate Sim, Teleporting is required. This mechanic in itself is immersion breaking unless your game character is Captain Kirk or a Wizard etc Whats even more immersion breaking is the mental gymnastics required trying to combine natural motion with Teleporting within your real and virtual space.

"Oh, my chaperone bounds just flashed up and I'm against the dining room wall, but the enemy is over there in front of me to the left. DO I teleport over there first then turn in my real room and recentre or should I recentre now and should I face front or back before I teleport so that I'm facing the right way when I teleport behind the enemy to catch him by surprise???" Arrrggghhhh!!!

Yeah, some of us actually have the imagination to mentally experience 'Roomscale' without needing to try it. Some of us did that months ago. Some of us knew that in the real world most people would quickly end up defaulting to staying within a step of centre in their real rooms and teleporting everywhere. Some of us weren't surprised when all indepth Roomscale reviews (Tested's for example) said that this is exactly what they ended up doing.

So when the actual practicalities of Roomscale render the 'Extra' range of Lighthouse moot over the Rifts Constellation system, when devs inevitably target the lowest common denominator for Roomscale and tracked controllers anyway which is the PSVR the 'real' 180º HMD, well why would I not pick the better, lighter, more comfortable, more ergonomic, thinner lighter cabled, Asynchronous Timewarped, integrated premium audio'd Rift, that anyone who has tried both admits is the better HMD all things considered. I'll happily wait a few extra months to experience true hand presence with the Half Moon Touch controllers and to experience 360º Roomscale. There won't be anything outside of Indie Tech Demo's till then anyway. The fact that Lighthouse can cover a 5m x 5m space as opposed to a 3-4m x 3-4m space of Constellation is moot as I explained above and how many fecking people have 5m x 5m spaces available in their houses anyway!! However, in your haste to get to try roomscale asap you'll have to live with an inferior HMD for the life of the Product, I'll get to enjoy a superior (even if only marginally so) much more comfortable HMD for the entire life of the product and I simply have to wait a few extra months for tracked controllers.

Don't get me started on the Exclusive BS!!

So FO4 on VorpX blow away! Firstly by the way VorpX is so seamless. You just launch the game and it's like Elite:Dangerous or some other external app launching. Secondly I will be tweaking it like a mofo but Virtual cinema is awesome!

It zooms it out just enough so you can see the edges as the game isn't designed for VR, but not so much that the immersion is broken when you look in the centre of the screen - all I need now is a playboy mansion skin for the lounge and I'll probably just play all games in virtual cinema!

Can't wait to upgrade the GPU!!! I'm playing at 1080p (max I could get FO4 to render properly at) and it's playable. I need to boost this though as I'm turning AA off at the moment in games to essentially do supersampling and letting the Rift scale it back down - I've been very impressed on the image quality you then get and the reduction in SDE.

LOL - I never played Half Life 2 - sad admission for any gamer to make... it has SteamVR support, downloading it now!!!

Edit: Boooo needs extended support which is long gone. GTA5 up next :D

LOL - I never played Half Life 2 - sad admission for any gamer to make... it has SteamVR support, downloading it now!!!

Edit: Boooo needs extended support which is long gone. GTA5 up next :D

Half life 2 should play in VR without VorpX...but the movement is naseuating, you're basically a high speed dalek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Presume DK2 will play CV1 games?

I hope I can build up a decent set of VR legs. When one has their VR legs and learns to tolerate artificial locomotion it opens up lots more AAA level content. GTAV anybody :D

Is there any Oculus exclusive game that I should try on Vive before they lock down Re-Vive.

One very important thing still missing from this photo ;)

Cm7yaBH.jpg

Cm7yaBH.jpg

Motion tracked controllers?

:pac:

EDIT: last one, I promise

Cm7yaBH.jpg

A HTC Vive :D

It's OK. I'm not a man child, I have patience and can wait for the better hand controllers to go with the better HMD ;)

Nice to see the usual suspects didn't disappoint me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Cm7yaBH.jpg

Let me see:
    - No ink in the printer?
    - The car doors for your racing rig?

I jest, why no monitor?

Let me see:
    - No ink in the printer?
    - The car doors for your racing rig?

I jest, why no monitor?

Cause I haven't ordered the LG 34UC98 yet.

I've no PC to run the Rift yet. Case is empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Cause I haven't ordered the LG 34UC98 yet.

I've no PC to run the Rift yet. Case is empty.

That's a tasty monitor man.

I find that the PC just complicates things anyway. Sure you'll be grand just spinning the wheel and making car noises. Once you've won a few races you can jump into your spaceship....I'd reccomend pew-pew noises for this game and maybe run the printer cartridge cleaning cycle every now and again to create some ambient spaceship bridge sounds.

Advertisement