Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can make one of these for that immersive feel

cardboard_rocket5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Calibos wrote: »
    Cause I haven't ordered the LG 34UC98 yet.

I've no PC to run the Rift yet. Case is empty.
    That monitor looks really nice.

Are you buying an AMD graphics to use the free sync feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

That monitor looks really nice.

Are you buying an AMD graphics to use the free sync feature?

Nope. Just ordered This

Its VR thats getting me back gaming. Don't know how much monitor gaming I'll end up doing though. 60HZ will do me grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nope. Just ordered This

Its VR thats getting me back gaming. Don't know how much monitor gaming I'll end up doing though. 60HZ will do me grand.
    Oh, very nice. So its a G-sync monitor?

*Edit: ah, I see. The graphics card will still work with a free sync enabled monitor but just without the use of this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nope. Just ordered This

Made a similar choice myself, stuck with my 144Hz 1080p monitor for now even though my card could handle 1440p. I know I won't get the use out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will we notice a big difference with the rift and the vive with the 1080, should it be a noticeable difference?

Will we notice a big difference with the rift and the vive with the 1080, should it be a noticeable difference?
    Really looking forward to seeing some benchmarks. PCper did some early ones showing how frame render times were a 1ms quicker on the 1080 than the 980ti which is actually quite good since the limit for 90 FPS is 11ms per frame.

I'm not sure if simultaneous multi-projection can be implemented globally across all of your VR games or if game devs need to compile it as an option. An interesting thing is that the 900 series maxwell cards can do something similar but it hasn't been used in any VR games yet (multi-res-shading)

The VR audio sounds really interesting though. For me, audio is really important in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No rush to upgrade my 970 then if I'm reading you right, they still haven't got the best out of it for VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One very important thing still missing from this photo ;)

Cm7yaBH.jpg

Is that a viking direct chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Bambi wrote: »

Yep, the Berlin I believe!

I had to replace mine as it hardened so much i got what felt like bruising in my tail bone from extended seated sessions. :(

Is your stand a GT Omega?

Been tempted to buy that for my G29 a while now but the desk is sufficing.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »

I had to replace mine as it hardened so much i got what felt like bruising in my tail bone from extended seated sessions. :(

I'm still using mine, although looking at that photo my ones cushioning is flat as a board now

Best bargain Alert Evah :D

Don't take this as a dig but at the moment Vive owners will notice a bigger difference. Reason being that Oculus' Asynchronous Timewarp (ATW) is so damn good that frame rates have to drop persistently down to around 45fps for us to start to notice we're not hitting 90FPS. That and the Vive versions of the likes of ED are not as optimised yet as the Rift versions. So most of what I'll be playing for the next while already runs as smooth as butter on a Rift. I'm buying this version of this card to future proof for unoptimised Star Citizen or AAA FPS's with Vorpx etc Vive owners will notice a difference right out the gate. ie They need a powerful 1080 at the moment to get closer to the fluidity that ATW and better optimised games for the Rift SDK give Rift owners already. Things will even out regardless of GPU when the Vive versions of games are better optimised and Valve improve their version of ATW.

Yes. As Doge says, its a Berlin. €75. Posted about it in the PC building forum.
    Doge wrote: »

Yes. I figured the Desk was too high. I ordered it. It was delivered. I sat in the office chair and adjusted it to suit......the fecking wheel ended up at the same height it would have been attached to the fecking desk!! DOH!! That said, at least with this, I can just slide it out of the way instead of swapping the wheel on and off the desk all the time.

No rush to upgrade my 970 then if I'm reading you right, they still haven't got the best out of it for VR.
    Yeah, the Maxwell VR stuff never got implemented so its hard to know if and when the Pascal VR features appear in any games. I tend not to trust Nvidia even though I stick with them because they have the most powerful cards and that's what VR needs right now. AMD could have some interesting VR features for a lot less money and they tend to be more open with their tech so I'm really looking forward to what they announce in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just bought project:cars...

O..M..F..G awesome doesn't even begin to describe it.

Just bought project:cars...

O..M..F..G awesome doesn't even begin to describe it.

Did you buy it on Steam or Home? Can't make my mind up. Home version will have less players in multiplayer. Steam version will have more players in multiplayer but....thats where all the obnoxious Vivers will be too ;):D

In the mean-time I sit here stroking my CV1 waiting for my PC components.

I'll see you in the Rift!.........at some indeterminate point in the future ;):)

Did you buy it on Steam or Home? Can't make my mind up. Home version will have less players in multiplayer. Steam version will have more players in multiplayer but....thats where all the obnoxious Vivers will be too ;):D

In the mean-time I sit here stroking my CV1 waiting for my PC components.

I'll see you in the Rift!.........at some indeterminate point in the future ;):)

Steam - I'm quite critical of Oculus if I'm honest, but the heckles get up when the fanboyism starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

has there been any changes to Oculus' shipping times? After the initial launch-time delays I haven't been paying any attention and just left them to get on with it. My delivery window is the first two weeks in July. Now I'm wondering if there's been any improvements and if there are any people here who perhaps received their Rifts a little earlier than the provided shipping window?

Branoic wrote: »
    has there been any changes to Oculus' shipping times? After the initial launch-time delays I haven't been paying any attention and just left them to get on with it. My delivery window is the first two weeks in July. Now I'm wondering if there's been any improvements and if there are any people here who perhaps received their Rifts a little earlier than the provided shipping window?

Got mine about a week earlier than expected.

Got mine on the 28th of May and my window was May 30th to June 10th.

Europe was ahead by a reasonable amount up to about a month ago and the Yanks were kicking up a stink so Oculus diverted 3 out of the last 5 weeks worth of stock destined for Europe to the US instead. My Rift was in that 2 weeks in the middle where they released stock to Europe before switching back to the US for the last two weeks. USA is now massively ahead. Europe is still at 45 or 50 minute pre-orders while the US is into the 3 or 4 hour pre-orders at this point. Europe is getting a shipment this week though according to Oculus CS. on Reddit.

Don't be jealous of me though :D I have no VR PC and was waiting for the GTX1080's. Looks like my chosen card is now delayed till the 17th of June at the earliest. I could very easily end up with the Rift in my hands for a month and still not having gotten to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Lol, that is indeed worse than having a VR-ready PC and no Rift. Got my 1080 installed yesterday so I'm good to go!

• Advertisement

I think you two should sort something out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I'm no advocate for VR, but why the fúck would you buy a Rift when you can have this?! :D

Because with just a little patience by waiting for Touch I can have the Rift.....AND.......that.

ie. Have the better, clearer, less SDE, larger sweetspot, lighter, more comfortable, more ergonomic, better looking, integrated premium audio, thinner much less unwieldy cable etc etc RIFT HMD and then when Touch comes have the better tracked controller.

All I needed was more patience than a manchild.

For the impatient, they trade all that which they'll have to live with for the rest of the life of their unit, all so they can play some hand controller tech demo's for the next few months.

Because with just a little patience by waiting for Touch I can have the Rift.....AND.......that.

ie. Have the better, clearer, less SDE, larger sweetspot, lighter, more comfortable, more ergonomic, better looking, integrated premium audio, thinner much less unwieldy cable etc etc RIFT HMD and then when Touch comes have the better tracked controller.

For the impatient, they trade all that which they'll have to live with for the rest of the life of their unit, all so they can play some hand controller tech demo's for the next few months.

You seem like a very angry person :confused:

Pool nation is a great game, not sure it will port to the rifts 180 tracking though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Lol, the only thing that is true above is the rift is lighter and I suppose it does have the integrated audio Everything else is bunkum.

Source: Have both the vive and rift cv1 and am developing software for both and wear them hours per day. The vive is the superior HMD for myself and my team.

Lads, let's not start this again please. Falthyron's post was simply in good fun no need to get defensive (and the cause the Vive gang to get defensive).

You seem like a very angry person :confused:

Pool nation is a great game, not sure it will port to the rifts 180 tracking though

I'm confused that you think I seem like an angry person :confused:

Genuine question here I'm not looking to join the who's better debate again - what's the tracking differences between the two head sets. I can spin around 360 standing in the rift, although I mainly use it for looking back in say a 270 degree radius (looking back over the wing sort of thing).

I assume the light tower goes infront and behind on the Vive?

Lads, let's not start this again please. Falthyron's post was simply in good fun no need to get defensive (and the cause the Vive gang to get defensive).

All the posts taking jabs at the Rift are seemingly 'just in good fun'. You yourself spent a good few pages pleading with then to cease with their incessent 'just in good fun' Rift jabs only a week or two ago.

• Advertisement

All the posts taking jabs at the Rift are seemingly 'just in good fun'. You yourself spent a good few pages pleading with then to cease with their incessent 'just in good fun' Rift jabs only a week or two ago.

But to be fair Falthyron admitted he's no idea, just liked the look of something silly on motion tracking. In all seriousness who pays the guts of a grand for games like that?

If one picks up on every perceived slight you'll basically have exactly what happened here, the same small number of people swooping in to defend all based off a fairly harmless comment.

I'm not trying to get at anyone, just pretty please can we stop with the X is better Y is better. Truth be told both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm not trying to stymie a critical discussion, I'm all for that just the blind defence on both sides.

Advertisement