Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

But thats the thing. Whether its a serious question or 'just a joke' any time you give your reasons for choosing Rift over Vive you are accused of blind defence, being a fanboy, or being angry??
    ...why the fcuk would you choose the Rift?

I simply gave my reasons why I chose the Rift???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Genuine question here I'm not looking to join the who's better debate again - what's the tracking differences between the two head sets. I can spin around 360 standing in the rift, although I mainly use it for looking back in say a 270 degree radius (looking back over the wing sort of thing).

I assume the light tower goes infront and behind on the Vive?

think opposite corners of a square..thats where the light houses go

Pool nation needs those "salad tongs" to control the cue, I'm not sure how you could do that with a set of controllers that are'nt fully tracked in the space, as far as I know the touch controllers are being designed for front facing experiences

You could probably use the teleport function a lot but even then it would be pretty awkward. I tried it when I started with pool nation because I wanted to stay beside a real table to lean on..I gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Calibos wrote: »
    Because with just a little patience by waiting for Touch I can have the Rift.....AND.......that.

ie. Have the better, clearer, less SDE, larger sweetspot, lighter, more comfortable, more ergonomic, better looking, integrated premium audio, thinner much less unwieldy cable etc etc RIFT HMD and then when Touch comes have the better tracked controller.

All I needed was more patience than a manchild.

For the impatient, they trade all that which they'll have to live with for the rest of the life of their unit, all so they can play some hand controller tech demo's for the next few months.
    raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bambi wrote: »
    think opposite corners of a square..thats where the light houses go

Pool nation needs those "salad tongs" to control the cue, I'm not sure how you could do that with a set of controllers that are'nt fully tracked in the space, as far as I know the touch controllers are being designed for front facing experiences

You could probably use the teleport function a lot but even then it would be pretty awkward. I tried it when I started with pool nation because I wanted to stay beside a real table to lean on..I gave up

Ah I see it's the controllers tracked 180 degrees, yes that makes sense.

But thats the thing. Whether its a serious question or 'just a joke' any time you give your reasons for choosing Rift over Vive you are accused of blind defence, being a fanboy, or being angry??

I simply gave my reasons why I chose the Rift???

Sorry it's not my place to backseat mod, my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah, when you say things like "All I needed was more patience than a manchild" you can't be surprised that people might think you sound angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah, when you say things like "All I needed was more patience than a manchild" you can't be surprised that people might think you sound angry.

bingo

Zillah wrote: »

When you say things like "Why the Fcuk would anyone get the Rift" in the Oculus Rift thread you can't be surprised that people might give their reasons for why the fcuk they would get a Rift.

'Salad Tongs' and 'Manchild'

It was just a joke bro!! Why are you so sensitive and defensive? ;)

cb10mQJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

When you say things like "Why the Fcuk would anyone get the Rift" in the Oculus Rift thread you can't be surprised that people might give their reasons for why the fcuk they would get a Rift.

'Salad Tongs' and 'Manchild'

It was just a joke bro!! Why are you so sensitive and defensive? ;)

cb10mQJ.jpg

You really like the Oculus Rift. Something about what you have been saying is subtly telling me, and I am normally oblivious to the glaringly obvious.

I would strongly recommend you take a look at this. It might help to explain things and it can be applied to any number of products that have a rival.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enough folks. Next person with a fanboy post, or accusing someone of being a fanboy, will get a warning. Report a post if you think it's against the charter.

Now, back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does anyone know if the xtreme VR stand in the Jervis using the DK2 or CV1?

Skerries wrote: »

looks like a DK (presumably DK2)

According to reports on Reddit. Oculus just shipped a motherload of Rifts into Europe. People who ordered days and weeks after pre-orders opened with ETA's in July and even August are now getting processing emails.

I see nVidia and AiB partners are taking lessons from Oculus on how (not) to do a bloody launch! :pac:

I'll say it to save someone else the bother - I see Vive is now shipping in three days, fair play it's good to see both companies getting the logistics sorted. Now time to get the prices down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Skerries wrote: »
    DK2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They must be dripping with sweat and other filth from the other punters in this weather, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Oculus just sent me a "your rift will be shipped shortly" message. Still, considering I ordered one on launch day....its been quite a wait tbh.

Kirby wrote: »
    Oculus just sent me a "your rift will be shipped shortly" message. Still, considering I ordered one on launch day....its been quite a wait tbh.

launch day or kickstarter?

Piss poor either way i guess

Kirby wrote: »

And now I'm doing it all again with the GTX10X0 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

And now I'm doing it all again with the GTX10X0 :pac:

Same here, but I ordered my 1070 ichill x4, (not sure on shipping frequencies yet) but it will be fast enough for me. Got it for €410 so I'm happy. My 980 is sold and I could not justify the cost of the 1080. I'm gaming at 3440 x 1440 anyway so was not under pressure to push 4k anyway.

Hopefully end June / 1st week July I'll finally have my rift and my 1070 and I'll be happy. Hopefully I won't regret not going vive. Would have had to re-purpose a room in my house to make it work I reckon.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Same here, but I ordered my 1070 ichill x4, (not sure on shipping frequencies yet) but it will be fast enough for me. Got it for €410 so I'm happy. My 980 is sold and I could not justify the cost of the 1080. I'm gaming at 3440 x 1440 anyway so was not under pressure to push 4k anyway.

Hopefully end June / 1st week July I'll finally have my rift and my 1070 and I'll be happy. Hopefully I won't regret not going vive. Would have had to re-purpose a room in my house to make it work I reckon.

Nice, do you mind me asking where you ordered?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oculus buying out loads of games to make them exclusive to it...

Oculus, you were the chosen one! You were supposed to support the gamers, not betray them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oculus, you were the chosen one! You were supposed to support the gamers, not betray them!

Don't try it, Oculus. Vive has the higher ground.

Oculus buying out loads of games to make them exclusive to it...

I would laugh if valve turned around and said they respected these exclusivity deals and, as such, would not allow any of these games to be sold on steam...ever. :D

cue a few game companies ****ting themselves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Steam fortunately and unfortunately would not do that, and that's why we use it!

I'm glad to see no ugly people own a Rift...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

umm cant be that great a spectator experience?

Wossack wrote: »
    umm cant be that great a spectator experience?

I dunno wouldn't mind watching a couple of them jiggling about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The desperation is strong with this one. I warned about this months ago. The strength of the technology itself should be drawing developers in, not expensive backstage deals designed to attack the competitor.

http://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-oculus-offered-****ton-money-rift-exclusivity/

• Advertisement

Advertisement