Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorway and learner permit

• 01-09-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

i am/was of the understanding that if you held a learner permit then you were not permitted to be on a motorway, however on the m50 last week i was overtaken ( i was doing 120kmh) by a lad on a cbr600 wearing a learner tabbard.... no sign of another bike with instructor either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

In fairness, in the time it took to encounter one L plated biker you probably encountered 20 L plated cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

You are correct if you are on a learner permit you are not allowed on a motorway, TBH I did it when I was on a learner permit too and I did not give a sh1t about getting caught by the police.

It was if I had a crash would I be covered by my insurance (even if it was not my fault) the way they work I bet they would tell you "COMPUTER SAYS NO!"

Bit silly TBH, at least take the L plates off :rolleyes:

Again its down to enforcement in this pissy little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

It is illegal for any learner, push bike, horse, pedestrian, vehichles under 50cc and vehicles travelling 50 km/h or less

Reason you saw him is its very unlikely he will ever get pulled they dont enforce any law here properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

mitosis wrote: »
    In fairness, in the time it took to encounter one L plated biker you probably encountered 20 L plated cars.
    Lots of L plated cars are being driven by people with full licences though but somone else may be learning to drive in the car, the biker couldnt be in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Yeah, but only a Learner is entitled to display an L plate!

• Advertisement

Its too much to ask someone to pull off a light piece of plastic of a window and then have to put it on again.

Imagine if all learners actually put the plates on girlfriend been driving over 4 years and wont listen and put them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its too much to ask someone to pull off a light piece of plastic of a window and then have to put it on again.

Its not really. Its the law to display if your a learner. And not if your a full licensed. Learner permit bikers have to wear a tabbard.

GBX wrote: »
    Its not really. Its the law to display if your a learner. And not if your a full licensed. Learner permit bikers have to wear a tabbard.

was sarcastic sorry didnt enter smiley face would take so much effort just like taking down Lplate :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Unfortunatly we all know nobody whatsoever abides to this, look at any family car in the country where the teens are learning to drive, personally id rather them on the car than not al all .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

ok i've got bit of an L plate issue myself... I'm a learner driver aged 25. I've been driving for close on two years. I was nervous at first but now I consider myself a good driver as does my instructor. I did my test and failed earlier in the year but a few things happened that messed me up that Time. 1.My instructor, looking back wasn't great and spent more time talking about their family lives than instructing. 2.During the test as only my luck would have it the exhaust went in my car and was so loud and annoying I got totally distracted with the added pressure of a tester next to me and I just blew it. So anyway I started with a new instructor and applied for my test but have hear nothing yet. My problem is that I'm meant to start commuting to a course next week. Now I was happy to try commute via bus or train until I saw what an absolute robbery it was. They offer no real discount to people who need to commute and honestly it would cost less on petrol to drive. So now I don't know what to do. Wait god knows how long until my test rolls around and try find time in between my course to take the lessons and test while paying out the ear for bus/train or do I chance my arm and drive? I wouldn't touch the motorway only national roads but I just wish there was some way of knowing. I mean I don't think it's fair to live it a country where it's just up to how a gard is feeling on a particular day. It's either illegal or not. Or if a person is on second permit it's ok but first it's not. I just feel like when it's practically based on luck whether your going to get done or not than people will just chance their arm. I don't want to get in trouble but I don't think 77E a week for train or 150-200 a month for bus is fair I mean with my car it's probably cost 40euro a week if even to drive but I mean there's no incentive to do other wise....I know I havn't made any proper point here I just need to vent my frustration...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

^^^^
    And that has to do with motorbikes how exactly....?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thanks for the rant.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement